thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

braveBebe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages braveBebe
Re: True Steampunk

Exactally, a well prepared puritan pilgrim ready to hit the road. Excited about his new equipment, he does a little jiggy dance just before he says his goodbyes to his best friend AdderXYU, and then departs. XD

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129
thatrobert wrote:

Thanks!

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
smedgrick wrote:This looks like the pokemon Abra.

I haven't watched pokeman, but I looked it up... not sure if that's a compliment or not;) Abra looks like he/she's part cat, part dinosaur, part fox! heh.

glendower wrote:I generally like it-- it's just that the kitty looks fat. =)

LOL! You know, when I was saving the image on the tee comp, I noticed he looked a bit fatter than I thought, which seemed odd. When I was doing a transfer the image got skewed so it might be a tiny bit wider than he should... but just think he is just sitting with a wide stance;)

dctaschler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dctaschler
Re: WHEN ANTS ATTACK

The electric green is a bit jarring. If you used a forest green it would compliment the design better, especially on a beige shirt

cpospisil

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cpospisil
nerdgod89 wrote:yall need a life.
i am part of the mindless squads of voters, i buy ramyb shirts and even when i dont i vote for them. and you all cant stop me. your art knowledge, your brilliant insights, your amazing arguments about why a shirt isn't "on topic" has no power to stop me, i vote for shirts i will wear, the derby is nothing more than a way to see multiple views on a theme i might want to wear. also ramy and seki often have the best looking shirts that would be fun to wear.
so essentially everyone...suck it hahaha

ITA

akrier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akrier
Re: Rewind

yeah! keep voting!

spanishmel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spanishmel

Ummm....I'm sorry...THIS got rejected for placement! What about all of the others!!!

ZMaiden

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ZMaiden
Re: Let's Play

So, is this not considered steampunk because of the robot? Or is it because of the dog? I mean, I'm pretty sure the Victorian era had dogs, and I don't know how you would emphasis it was from the 1800's since he doesn't have the waist to pull of a proper dress Nah, I'm just playing around.

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
thatrobert wrote:

Yay! Congrats to sailormoontsu.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

sailormoontsu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailormoontsu
thatrobert wrote:

Thanks!

Blog Vote! Visit my Spreadshirt Shop.

kittypoocaca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kittypoocaca
Re: The Guitar

you should put a better picture of your design up. It looks neat but I can't really make out the detail.

theinfinityloop

quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
Radscoolian wrote:And you used a pad? I have been hand drawing, hand inking and then coloring on photoshop. I end up having to clean it up and I don't get the best line quality.

Thanks! Yeah, I have a Wacom Intuos 3 tablet.

kittypoocaca

itoaseik wrote:First time poster, wanted to wait until I had something worthwhile to say. My first thought when I saw the first version of this "protest shirt," or whatever it might be called, was "slightly funny, mostly stupid." But after thinking about it more, seeing the troubles of Drakxxx and others, and seeing the off-topicness and pandering (or at least cuteseyness) of the fog, I have come to fully support this entry. I believe this is the best (and only viable) way for those with similar opinions to try to influence the outcomes of these derbys. I believe that suggesting rule restrictions ("no flying penguins") or rejections based on relative off-topicness would be bad for a few reasons:
1. Not gonna happen
2. Restricts artistic freedom (much as I personally hate the cutesy animals)

So, good job Adder, let's just hope that people can be encouraged to vote more for on-topic and genuinely creative entries through satire, unlikely as it may be... GMV.

Or maybe people should just vote for what they would actually buy as I'm pretty sure woot would like these shirt to sell.

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl
thatrobert wrote:

Hey, thanks again, I'm honored. If I'm gonna lose, I'm glad I get to do it with style, and support.

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
kittypoocaca wrote:Or maybe people should just vote for what they would actually buy as I'm pretty sure woot would like these shirt to sell.

Amen.

kittypoocaca

IamIreland wrote:It's pretty, but it's been done. http://www.topatoco.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TO&Product_Code=WON-PORTHOLE&Category_Code=WON Sorry!

I don't really see that as the same at all.

the1sonofslam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages the1sonofslam
re: the aviator

I want to bu this now

mitchellp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp
Re: Steam Goliath

I don't understand why this one doesn't have at least 500 hundred votes

cobolisdead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
ramyb wrote:There have been a lot of accusations made with arbitrarily chosen pieces of evidence regarding dates of joining of users, number of woots, sales, etc. But rather than just say that these are dumb accusations, I figured I'd instead compile some numbers for you:

1. Everyone who leaves positive comments on my shirts joined after I did, and so they must all be me.

So this entry, 2/3 of the positive comments came from people who joined in Sept2008 or later (which is when I joined, which is why it's the magic start point). For my other entry this week, half of the positive comments were from people who joined at that date or later. (If we include seki's shirt in this, only 40% of the comments are from users who joined in Sept or later).

Now to compare, drakxxx's entry has received half of its comments from users who joined in Sept08 or later, and Deadfrog 2/3. Are these numbers any different? No. Why did I choose these as my comparison point? Because they are the two entries to which mine have been most compared. Simple really.

2. Everyone who likes my shirts has a yellow box, which is suspicious.

So let's look at those numbers. For my two shirts combined (only looking at positive comments):
1 blank box, 5 yellow boxes, 3 orange boxes, 23 blue bloxes, 13 red boxes, 5 black boxes.
So, for every user who commented that they liked the shirt who had only 1 woot, there was one who had 25 or more. (And if you think that number is suspiciously high for my TWO entries combined, drakxxx's one entry alone has 6 comments from people with just a single purchase).

3. My shirts don't actually sell that well anyway, so who is voting on them?

My shirts, on average, have each sold 1000 more than the average for derby winners since I joined (if you include dailies in that number, it's a much larger difference even, but I think comparing to derby entries only is fair).

So please don't try to argue with me that the people who like my shirts are sketchy, or that they can't be real, or that they don't actually make purchases without actually looking into the numbers. These things are very easy to look up, but people instead choose to blurt out whatever they think will cast doubt on me without taking two seconds to actually think it through or see if there is any validity in their claims.

I'm sick of responding to these stupid claims and was planning to just ignore it because it's pointless to respond, but since I was called out for not defending myself, I decided I might as well. Not like it matters either way- I can present undeniable proof and people will still say that it's impossible that people vote on something they don't personally like.

Oh, and as a sidenote, don't tell me to wikipedia search steampunk. If you are going by wikipedia, it says "Since the 1990s, the application of the steampunk label has expanded beyond works set in recognizable historical periods (usually the 19th century) to works set in fantasy worlds that rely heavily on steam- or spring-powered technology," which negates 90% of the comments about why various things within the derby aren't steampunk.

You, know, the very fact that you have three shirts in the fog, and at one point last month had half the reckoning list really makes you hard to believe. Not even Cho or jimmyo had your level of success here. You either brought a fanbase or you bought one, ether way your constant printing on this site makes it dang near impossible for other more talented artists to get prints especially when you get people voting for whatever design you put up there.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

the1sonofslam

melite wrote:Agreed - seems like the girl should be in 'older' clothing instead of that which seems to be more popular now.

Also, the steam seems to look like misplace angel wings and less like steam.

maybe more like girl 1

girl 2

girl 3

Agree with both. New Anime style clashes with the dirty grit of the robo. girl 1

girl 2
would be perfect in her place.

the1sonofslam

melite wrote:Agreed - seems like the girl should be in 'older' clothing instead of that which seems to be more popular now.

Also, the steam seems to look like misplace angel wings and less like steam.

maybe more like girl 1

girl 2

girl 3

Agree with both. New Anime style clashes with the dirty grit of the robo. girl 1

girl 2
would be perfect in her place.

ankmet20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ankmet20
Re: Strange Love

thanks, I like it too

NatureMer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages NatureMer
Re: Combustible Prey

I wish this was in the fog.....so well done and by far my favorite in this week's derby.

I agree, the lineart is so smooth and well done. I saw the sketch and just love the flow and composition of the image.

Super well done...mad props to you, sir.

mitchellp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp
Re: Calling John Henry!

I voted it. Really nice design... GMV

2thFairy

mitchellp wrote:I don't understand why this one doesn't have at least 500 hundred votes

Because it is clever and well done..

Very nice!

KarenClark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KarenClark
jamescho84 wrote:This is in response to you and the others about the sketch. Ah yes, the detail will get lost somewhat, but it would've on white or a lighter color too. That is a sketch because it's a sketch, you dont just transfer the sketch as is, you have to use a couple of techniques to get it so woot can print it. Like no value shading, and very fine details. Using halftones in place of gradients, and thicker lines in place of the really fine ones.

The loss of detail also comes from making the design a negative. Meaning, since it's on black - you're only drawing the negatives, letting the black shirt show through where you've "colored in" on white.

So why black eh? Well, as much as you may not like black, there are 10 more people who don't like white, gotta find a compromise at some point yano?

Thank you EHalcyon for the 580x580 comment. Didn't know that. **cough**cough** didn't know woot was getting so frugal with the bandwidth **cough** So if the comp looks blurry it is that reason.

Well dope, thanks for the comments so far, your support, and all that other snuggle bear Gigli (2003), i'd give you hugs n stuff but you know..

I'm one of the ones that prefer black -- I wouldn't order it if it was on white. Black shirts look better on most people, and for us females in the audience, our bras show through white shirts.

itoaseik

quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik
kittypoocaca wrote:Or maybe people should just vote for what they would actually buy as I'm pretty sure woot would like these shirt to sell.

I never said people should not vote for shirts that they want to buy. However, clearly not every vote equals a purchased shirt, or vice versa. So, I see no reason that people can't try to convince people to use their votes a little differently. Everyone wants the designs they like to win, and I think that this is a good way to try to achieve that. Ultimately, everyone is in control of their own vote. If you want to be able to vote for what you like, then of course the cost of that is that other people can do the same.

Obviously Woot is a business, and their ultimate goal is to make money. However, I think it is also clear that shirt.woot is not motivated only by money, or they would reject shirts only for copyright reasons, as has been stated by others. Frankly, I think it is in Woot's best long-term interest for unique designs to win. As more designs with similar themes get printed, the same people who bought those previous designs will run out of money/closet space ("I'd really like to buy this shirt that I voted for, but I just bought that other one last week"). Also, people who don't like those types of designs will go elsewhere.

I think I was a little harsh to use the word "pandering" to refer to some of the fog designs... my intention was not to hate on any particular designs or designer. For example, I like Sekiyoku's design almost enough to want to wear it on a shirt. However, I happen to also think that it does not really fit the theme, which to me is important for a couple reasons. I think the purpose of the themes is to encourage unique designs that are very different week to week. Failing to adhere to the themes is somewhat unfair to those who do, and leads to less variety in designs... I'm rambling now, so I'm going to stop.

nerdgod89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nerdgod89
thisisme84 wrote:I am pretty sure I love you.

thank ya
i hope you have grapefruits (girl ones)

This site cracks me up, its even more fun than youtube comments because you people are supposedly "artists" and all have these masterful opinions that don't even matter when people like me start voting..

BTW i have 3-10 woots, all shirt.woots, i havnt even bought from reg. or wine yet. so, yeah, raise it all you want, people like me exist!

(also, i am not ramyb posting under one of my 1000 names)

(ooo, now you don't know what to think!!)
haha

~
indianwoot

pbailey1980

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pbailey1980
davengvar wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about it. I don't think most woot people will believe you intentionally tried to copy someone else's design. Just ignore the bashers and try again next week.

1 semi-basher (implied that it was intentional by calling it something to the effect of a blatant rip-off). A bunch of other people explaining how the shirt.woot mod works and generally disqualifies shirts. Based on past experience of the experiences wooters who posted above, they are simply trying to let you know that it is likely that the mod will reject it as they have seen it a number of times prior for shirt designs being "too close" to designs that already exist.

Yes, try again next week. Accident or not, it is likely that the mod will reject it and/or woot will not print it. Fact.

databit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages databit
bmscurlock wrote:Who doesn't need a t-shirt with a clock-tie?!

Right?

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen
thatrobert wrote:

Noooo!!!! Don't say that! We still have 21 hours, right?

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen
rglee129 wrote:Who do you call when a steam powered locomotabot begins rampaging? John Henry!

I can't believe I missed this one earlier! Pretty cool!

2thFairy

ambergreen wrote:Noooo!!!! Don't say that! We still have 21 hours, right?

Don't give up yet.. it has happened before that an entry got the best losers award, but then ended up placing third.

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx
ambergreen wrote:Noooo!!!! Don't say that! We still have 21 hours, right?

Wow, the amount of support for this has been amazing. I truly appreciate it everyone

There is plenty of time left to make this happen, so if you guys want it, you know what to do.

Win or lose this has been an incredible run, and I thank all of you again.

supersonic213

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supersonic213
Re: Steamworks Operatica V.2

The fact that 900 votes still doesn't get to the fog really attests to the general popularity of this derby. I think the numbers for "trees" were much lower (too lazy to look). Must be something about steampunk that gets everyone all hot and bothered?

Good Luck!

The guys at the new SONIC drive-in told me to have a supersonic day. And I did!

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Astolpho wrote:Ah, I see. I did ask, when the derby was announced but before it opened, what the rule was on resubmitting designs, and, helpfully, nobody responded.

This is covered in the links that superspryte listed in her post, which is helpfully linked to the first post in the derby thread.

Those links get posted in just about every derby thread though, so I'm guessing you won't go check it out on your own, so...

----- Shirt Resubmittal -----
The question of 'can I resubmit a popular design in multiple derbies?' has been a contentious one (so much so that Woot(!) commandant Joel Lewis weighed in).

Our laxity in rejections of resubmissions has been thrown directly back in our face. Touche and here, I'll clarify:

Resubmissions are not allowed unless there has been "significant" change(s) made to the entry. "Significant" is the subjective part here. Color changes, composition, additions, etc may all qualify as significant or may not. It's up to us. If you think someone is sneaking one in, I'll rely on the Tattle functionality to help out. Use the Tattle and link to the previous submission. It's not enough just to say "resubmission."

If it's determined to be a resubmission without significant change, then it will be rejected. People who think it's funny and keep resubmitting will be probated (ooh...I'm salivating).

In the event that a previous entry has attained the noble Honorable Mention status, is then resubmitted with what are determined as 'significant' changes, then the resubmitted entry will stand, but it may forfeit it's entry into the Best of Derby. How's that?

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

databit

Re: The Guitar

[shameless promotion of my blog]
It’s Wednesday and I have made my list. If you are the least bit interested, come on over to the blog. If not, continue on to the next comment (unless it is a double/triple post by me, then ignore it).
[/shameless promotion of my blog]

databit

Re: Strange Love

[shameless promotion of my blog]
It’s Wednesday and I have made my list. If you are the least bit interested, come on over to the blog. If not, continue on to the next comment (unless it is a double/triple post by me, then ignore it).
[/shameless promotion of my blog]