databit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages databit
Re: Idle Hands

[shameless promotion of my blog]
It’s Wednesday and I have made my list. If you are the least bit interested, come on over to the blog. If not, continue on to the next comment (unless it is a double/triple post by me, then ignore it).
[/shameless promotion of my blog]

dankstick

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dankstick
supersonic213 wrote:The fact that 900 votes still doesn't get to the fog really attests to the general popularity of this derby. I think the numbers for "trees" were much lower (too lazy to look). Must be something about steampunk that gets everyone all hot and bothered?

Good Luck!

You know, good point. Has there always been a link to the derby on the woot.com homepage? There is one now the right side and reads "Shirt.Woot 101: The Steampunk Derby Awaits Your Judgement" and has a picture of a cog. I have never noticed a link to the derby other than the one on the shirt.woot.com page. If there has been one, well, I'm just not observant.

databit

Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk

It’s Wednesday and I have made my list. If you are the least bit interested, come on over to the blog. If not, continue on to the next comment (unless it is a double/triple post by me, then ignore it).

databit

Re: Steam-powered heart

databit

databit

databit

Re: Steamworks Operatica V.2

mitchellp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk

This design makes me wish that Woot offered a negative vote option. I know this design was meant to be funny, but the fact that it's got so many votes is really disconcerting. Geez!

databit

Re: Steampunk Angel

BaldBob007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BaldBob007
re: the aviator

This is my first true experience seeing Cho's derby entries. I have to say that I am awe inspired and aspire to be 1/100th the artist he is. The level of detail and the halftones are incredible.

Unfortunately, I cannot give this a vote. Like the entire fog this week after Drakxxx dropped out and was rejected, this is definitely NOT steampunk. I was so looking forward to this derby after it was announced. How disappointing...

Why is Shirt.Woot not enforcing their own theme?! The Art Deco derby had a TON of rightful rejections for not fitting the theme. This one has none. All the rejections have been for use of copyrighted material, direct resub, or not being up to the print specs. WHAT'S THE DEAL?!

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn
databit wrote:[shameless promotion of my blog]

Because you insist on spamming the derbies with links to your blog, I will never vote for one of your designs.

Just saying. Put it in your sig, and stop there.

As for the shirt...It's humorous, it's probably as topical as anything else, but I suspect it might count as woot related.

I think it would be interesting to see the number of people who voted for a shirt that was printed and then failed to buy ANYTHING from that derby. I can see if you voted for all three shirts that got printed, and only bought one, but it seems to me that if you haven't bought ANY of the shirts you've voted for, then maybe you should get to vote again.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
mitchellp wrote:This design makes me wish that Woot offered a negative vote option. I know this design was meant to be funny, but the fact that it's got so many votes is really disconcerting. Geez!

It should be disconcerting. Its entire existence is based on how disconcerting it is that the designs this design is parodying are doing so well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

studio1172

quality posts: 0 Private Messages studio1172
studio1172 wrote:Random thought - I smell bacon. Hmmm . . Turkey bacon. Anybody else on board for some bacon?

I still smell bacon. And while you guys at thinking about bacon, throw in an extra 900 votes and get this mermaid in the fog . . . le sigh.

BaldBob007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BaldBob007
supersonic213 wrote:The fact that 900 votes still doesn't get to the fog really attests to the general popularity of this derby. I think the numbers for "trees" were much lower (too lazy to look). Must be something about steampunk that gets everyone all hot and bothered?

Good Luck!

I would agree if the top four had any steampunk entries included. Unless, by hot and bothered, you mean that the majority of woot subscribers hate steampunk and have to check in to run up the votes on the entries that aren't.

I am still loving how quickly your entry has risen back from the dust, Drakxxx! I'm hoping you get a print out of this week.

cobolisdead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
NatureMer wrote:Super well done...mad props to you, sir.

Loopy is girl. Here is a link to her blog with pic:

http://theinfinityloop.blogspot.com/

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

databit

Mavyn wrote:Because you insist on spamming the derbies with links to your blog, I will never vote for one of your designs.

As for the shirt...It's humorous, it's probably as topical as anything else, but I suspect it might count as woot related.

I think it would be interesting to see the number of people who voted for a shirt that was printed and then failed to buy ANYTHING from that derby. I can see if you voted for all three shirts that got printed, and only bought one, but it seems to me that if you haven't bought ANY of the shirts you've voted for, then maybe you should get to vote again.

That's fine, I doubt you have voted that much for them anyway... They are not really that great of quality usually, though I have hit on a popular design once or twice. But for the most part I get happy when I break 50 votes on an entry.

Something I keep seeing in these posts on certain artists is: You people who vote on an entry just because of who the artist is are what is wrong with Woot!

I have a question though, and note this is purely a question and I offer no opinion of my own on this. Is it different to NOT vote on an entry just because of who the artist is (of course I know it is a stretch to refer to myself as an artist, so just remember this is just a question to think about. Not expecting any logical response because I think it is up for interpretation)

On the spam issue, I post the notice of the list only in the entries that I have included in my list and this is my way of notifying viewers and the artists that they are on my list. If they want to check what else is on the list, they can go check it out. If not, then on to the next comment. Sorry that I have horribly offended you.

cobolisdead

SailorButterfly wrote:It should be disconcerting. Its entire existence is based on how disconcerting it is that the designs this design is parodying are doing so well.

Indeed. This is meant to mock the popular off topic entries that seem to have entrenched themselves in the fog.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
Mavyn wrote:Because you insist on spamming the derbies with links to your blog, I will never vote for one of your designs.

Firstly, databit posting anything relating to his blog is no different than Thatrobert who owns the 'Best Losers' site. He's welcome to have his picks and write up why he likes them. And because of that, he posts that people should read his blog. NOW, he probably shouldn't do it the way he's been doing (because yes, it does look like shameless advertising, even how he notes it) but he could create an ICON or something that directly links to the write up (much like Thatrobert does for his write-ups.)

As for your second remark, I see nothing woot related in the design unless you feel that directly relating to someone else's design qualifies as woot related.

And Thirdly, you can see the vote #'s versus the sales of a shirt after the first 24 hrs or it sells out before then (which, if the top 3 do not sell out in their first 24 hrs, I'll again be on the bandwagon as to extra accounts voting for designs that shouldn't have printed in the first place). So if ramy and seki don't sell out, come forward and argue the case. Lord knows those of us who say something week after week seem to just be blowing smoke up people's asses.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
cobolisdead wrote:You, know, the very fact that you have three shirts in the fog, and at one point last month had half the reckoning list really makes you hard to believe. Not even Cho or jimmyo had your level of success here. You either brought a fanbase or you bought one, ether way your constant printing on this site makes it dang near impossible for other more talented artists to get prints especially when you get people voting for whatever design you put up there.

I think it's appropriate and justified to complain about ramy and seki's designs for their off-topic-ness, persistent similarity, etc. but it is ridiculous to bash them just because they are successful. Sure, they have arguably had more success than Cho did (note: jimiyo has always been too good for Woot and has never really been successful here), but just barely. To complain about their success and not Cho's is hypocritical. Maybe people are forgetting just how successful he was because he's been gone for so long. He's very nearly swept derbies before, with multiple entries in the fog and in the top ten. Someone even left a comment in his flying penguin's thread that implies the person voted on name only. Sure, they have fans here that vote for them. So does every other regular artist here - Edgar, Loopy, tgentry, Boots, drakxxx, skirochester - they all have established fan bases. It's just ridiculous to complain that people who like their work are voting for their entries. That's the whole point of the derby.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

cobolisdead

databit wrote:That's fine, I doubt you have voted that much for them anyway... They are not really that great of quality usually, though I have hit on a popular design once or twice. But for the most part I get happy when I break 50 votes on an entry.

Something I keep seeing in these posts on certain artists is: You people who vote on an entry just because of who the artist is are what is wrong with Woot!

I have a question though, and note this is purely a question and I offer no opinion of my own on this. Is it different to NOT vote on an entry just because of who the artist is (of course I know it is a stretch to refer to myself as an artist, so just remember this is just a question to think about. Not expecting any logical response because I think it is up for interpretation)

On the spam issue, I post the notice of the list only in the entries that I have included in my list and this is my way of notifying viewers and the artists that they are on my list. If they want to check what else is on the list, they can go check it out. If not, then on to the next comment. Sorry that I have horribly offended you.

You know, I only have two artist on this site tht I don't vote for as a general rule, and it doesn't seem to be hurting them. However, if Boots or Jewelwing had submitted their entries, I wouldn't have voted for them either, because they are not steampunk. Heck, my wife could have submitted them, and I wouldn't have voted for them for the same reason. I have only ever liked two of their designs and I only own one of them because woot accidentally sent me one instead of the one I ordered.

Mavyn

databit wrote:That's fine, I doubt you have voted that much for them anyway... They are not really that great of quality usually, though I have hit on a popular design once or twice. But for the most part I get happy when I break 50 votes on an entry.

Not horribly offended, just annoyed.

I HAVE withheld a vote from one of your designs. Otherwise, it wouldn't be worth mentioning.

And I agree--voting for something because of the who artist is just as silly. I don't vote that way, I vote on designs I'll either wear myself or give to someone.

eHalcyon

JadenKale wrote:And Thirdly, you can see the vote #'s versus the sales of a shirt after the first 24 hrs or it sells out before then (which, if the top 3 do not sell out in their first 24 hrs, I'll again be on the bandwagon as to extra accounts voting for designs that shouldn't have printed in the first place). So if ramy and seki don't sell out, come forward and argue the case. Lord knows those of us who say something week after week seem to just be blowing smoke up people's asses.

Many, many shirt designs don't sell out despite a high number of votes. As long as the number of votes doesn't exceed the number purchased, there isn't much reason to suspect foul play. And even if it does happen, heck, it's happened to well-respected artists too. Unless designs are underselling repeatedly and consistently, the phenomenon can just as easily be chalked up to Woot's ever-shifting customer base.

cobolisdead

eHalcyon wrote:I think it's appropriate and justified to complain about ramy and seki's designs for their off-topic-ness, persistent similarity, etc. but it is ridiculous to bash them just because they are successful. Sure, they have arguably had more success than Cho did (note: jimiyo has always been too good for Woot and has never really been successful here), but just barely. To complain about their success and not Cho's is hypocritical. Maybe people are forgetting just how successful he was because he's been gone for so long. He's very nearly swept derbies before, with multiple entries in the fog and in the top ten. Someone even left a comment in his flying penguin's thread that implies the person voted on name only. Sure, they have fans here that vote for them. So does every other regular artist here - Edgar, Loopy, tgentry, Boots, drakxxx, skirochester - they all have established fan bases. It's just ridiculous to complain that people who like their work are voting for their entries. That's the whole point of the derby.

I like to think of them as weeds. If woot lets them grow out of control, it will stifle out the grass(Being the other artists). Like I said, they either bought or brought fans with them, and it's made this place insanely difficult for other artist to compete when they constantly throw guppy up that has to be justified on topic from a certain point of view and it prints.

eHalcyon

cobolisdead wrote:I like to think of them as weeds. If woot lets them grow out of control, it will stifle out the grass(Being the other artists). Like I said, they either bought or brought fans with them, and it's made this place insanely difficult for other artist to compete when they constantly throw guppy up that has to be justified on topic from a certain point of view and it prints.

Yes I agree - those designs of theirs that are off-topic (particularly prominent this week, though it is not always the case) are screwing up the derby. That's unrelated to having fans. Other artists have fans. And there's no reason to believe that those fans didn't just come from the ever-growing pool of voters. Cho's previous stranglehold on the derby made it difficult for other artists to compete as well - I know I always feared his late entries since they almost always skyrocketed up the charts and into the fog.

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl
Re: MI 1600

8 more to 100, we can do this

eHalcyon

ste7enl wrote:8 more to 100, we can do this

7 more.

Muntoe

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Muntoe
Re: The Girl in Red

After reading practically every comment in here, I mostly agree with the fact that this isn't steampunk. However, I understand that the artist attempted the hardest they could to fit the derby theme this week. Maybe it's because I'm new, but I think it is up to the woot team to truly decide what is acceptable for the theme "steampunk." Maybe the only reason it hasn't been rejected is because of those smokestacks rising from the armored wolf. Either way, this is still a really cool design.

tnkitty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tnkitty

Ramyb, keep up the good work. You know you are doing well when people get so jealous over your success. I guess I am categorized as a "normal, everyday" woot user. I started off buying a few shirts, then noticed the voting process. I vote for what I like and I don't even pay attention to who created it. I have noticed on the past few derbies that I have voted on some of the same artists. Well, I must like their style. That's okay, right? I'm not a trained artist. I don't get all technical about what I see. I vote for designs that I enjoy and that I would actually wear on a shirt(or would look cute on my 3 yr old). I think some of you are getting WAY too dramatic and obsessed about this. I normally don't post much of anything on this website. I vote and move on with my life. I just hate to see someone get tarred and feathered over something that really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Mavyn

JadenKale wrote:Firstly, databit posting anything relating to his blog is no different than Thatrobert who owns the 'Best Losers' site. He's welcome to have his picks and write up why he likes them. And because of that, he posts that people should read his blog. NOW, he probably shouldn't do it the way he's been doing (because yes, it does look like shameless advertising, even how he notes it) but he could create an ICON or something that directly links to the write up (much like Thatrobert does for his write-ups.)

As for your second remark, I see nothing woot related in the design unless you feel that directly relating to someone else's design qualifies as woot related.

I was suggesting he do just that, sorry if that steps on your toes. Never said 'stop doing it' or 'why are you doing it'...Just, you do X, I do Y. My single vote is meaningless, in the larger scheme.

On the second point...I was kidding, thanks.

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
eHalcyon wrote:Many, many shirt designs don't sell out despite a high number of votes. As long as the number of votes doesn't exceed the number purchased, there isn't much reason to suspect foul play. And even if it does happen, heck, it's happened to well-respected artists too. Unless designs are underselling repeatedly and consistently, the phenomenon can just as easily be chalked up to Woot's ever-shifting customer base.

I'm sure at this point you've pissed off nearly everyone with your insistence on always being reasonable

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
eHalcyon wrote:Yes I agree - those designs of theirs that are off-topic (particularly prominent this week, though it is not always the case) are screwing up the derby. That's unrelated to having fans. Other artists have fans. And there's no reason to believe that those fans didn't just come from the ever-growing pool of voters. Cho's previous stranglehold on the derby made it difficult for other artists to compete as well - I know I always feared his late entries since they almost always skyrocketed up the charts and into the fog.

I find it really frustrating to see designs that are pretty clearly offtopic dominating. I think if woot put up their topic each week, and rejected with a broad brush, so that things which aren't really Steam-punk, or don't shout Art Deco, or seduce with their Art Nouveau beauty get rejected. I'd every week like to see that the winner of Woot's Racing derby, for example, actually showed a kick-ass version of racing, and the Sunset derby was about sunsets. I wouldn't mind if my designs got rejected for being off-topic if they are off topic, like this week's design may well be, and I don't think others would either, provided everyone is treated the same way. The rub is that woot is currently wildly inconsistent in their treatment of individuals, and I'm afraid they wouldn't institute the kind of controls on rejection that fairness would require.

KarenClark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KarenClark
Tabernack wrote:Let's face it, you wouldn't have submitted it if you didn't think you'd get in the fog--OH WAIT. Like many times before you're falling borderline on the theme and rushing to defend it when people call you out. Despite the flow of the design, I don't see much worth anything in this submission personally. It is not steampunk. Period. A) It is quite obvious IF you did understand it "more than some people think" then you obviously would have submitted something to prove it. Steampunk is a pretty clear cut genre of style, people can look it up if they're uncertain, this is the internet afterall. B) woot shouldn't have to lay out every finer point and detail as to what encompasses a particular genre for people to make an effort in adhering to it. There is a big difference between retrofuturistic and steampunk, but it's apparent very few people get that, you included. C) bananas.

There is such little hope in you and Ramy packing up your trash and leaving, despite all the hope a large number of us may have, so don't try to shake your finger and tut-tut at the folks calling you out, reiterating the rules that you so gleefully skirt the edges of, because it's quite apparent to everyone that not only are you full of it with your "almost meets this weeks critera," but that you know you can do just barely enough to get away with it. Boy oh boy, I wonder what would happen if I started to submit borderline, redundant garbage that may or may not contain a semblance of blatantly pre-conceived icons (and then proceed to feign ignorance). People would rip into me too, so don't think for one second that you and your boyfriend Ramy are somehow miraculously exempt from criticism. People aren't jumping all over your case for no good reason.

Looks like you need to take another look at how communities work, and what happens when you spit in their faces.

I have to say, this post is AWESOME. It's stuff like this that keeps me glued to the derbies even though I don't submit entries myself. It's like the best unscripted geek soap opera ever.

This sentence, in particular, kills me:

Tabernack wrote:There is such little hope in you and Ramy packing up your trash and leaving, despite all the hope a large number of us may have, so don't try to shake your finger and tut-tut at the folks calling you out, reiterating the rules that you so gleefully skirt the edges of, because it's quite apparent to everyone that not only are you full of it with your "almost meets this weeks critera," but that you know you can do just barely enough to get away with it.

Just the overreaction, personal investment, the giant run-on, the personal insults and the homophobic way you brought in another designer to call the a simply delightful couple. Kudos, my friend. Kudos.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
eHalcyon wrote:Many, many shirt designs don't sell out despite a high number of votes. As long as the number of votes doesn't exceed the number purchased, there isn't much reason to suspect foul play. And even if it does happen, heck, it's happened to well-respected artists too. Unless designs are underselling repeatedly and consistently, the phenomenon can just as easily be chalked up to Woot's ever-shifting customer base.

At this point, we're looking at over 1000 votes per entry in the fog (or pretty damn close.) In the past, once we hit the 1k vote number, chances were high that the design would sell out. Now, if they don't, I'd be interested to know why. The average of 2 and 3 shirt purchases still sit in the combined 5-10% of sales. If these votes are accurate, we should see close to no multiple sales (under 6% total) and sell outs before noon CST on at least 2 shirts, and the 3rd place selling out by no later than 5pm CST.

I don't think the customer base is changing at all. It's the same computer/technophiles who desire instant gratification that visited before. Part of our high numbers can be attributed to the new vote link on the main woot page (replacing the reckoning list link, since all that was doing was boosting seki's sales and pretty much nothing for the rest of the other 26 shirts for sale), but the purchasers will still be the same.

mfire12

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mfire12
kittypoocaca wrote:you should put a better picture of your design up. It looks neat but I can't really make out the detail.

Hey I was wondering how other people put all the background and the shirt in the corner and their design all seperate and stuff...

is it with the very bottom download?

eHalcyon

JadenKale wrote:At this point, we're looking at over 1000 votes per entry in the fog (or pretty damn close.) In the past, once we hit the 1k vote number, chances were high that the design would sell out. Now, if they don't, I'd be interested to know why. The average of 2 and 3 shirt purchases still sit in the combined 5-10% of sales. If these votes are accurate, we should see close to no multiple sales (under 6% total) and sell outs before noon CST on at least 2 shirts, and the 3rd place selling out by no later than 5pm CST.

I don't think the customer base is changing at all. It's the same computer/technophiles who desire instant gratification that visited before. Part of our high numbers can be attributed to the new vote link on the main woot page (replacing the reckoning list link, since all that was doing was boosting seki's sales and pretty much nothing for the rest of the other 26 shirts for sale), but the purchasers will still be the same.

"A Wonderful Day" received over 1000 votes but failed to sell out. Somebody posted a comment wondering if it was the first time a design failed to sell out after getting so many votes, and it turns out that it wasn't. I figure the third place design might not sell out simply because the customers get weary from the theme. It may also be that someone votes for two or three designs in the fog but decides to only buy one of them - whichever one happens to get put up for sale earlier. Given the sameness exuded by many of Seki's and Ramy's entries, I wouldn't be surprised if the highest-placing one sells out while the others have lack-lustre numbers at best.

eHalcyon

Josephus wrote:I find it really frustrating to see designs that are pretty clearly offtopic dominating. I think if woot put up their topic each week, and rejected with a broad brush, so that things which aren't really Steam-punk, or don't shout Art Deco, or seduce with their Art Nouveau beauty get rejected. I'd every week like to see that the winner of Woot's Racing derby, for example, actually showed a kick-ass version of racing, and the Sunset derby was about sunsets. I wouldn't mind if my designs got rejected for being off-topic if they are off topic, like this week's design may well be, and I don't think others would either, provided everyone is treated the same way. The rub is that woot is currently wildly inconsistent in their treatment of individuals, and I'm afraid they wouldn't institute the kind of controls on rejection that fairness would require.

Truth, truth. Though I am not so excited at the prospect of a derby devoted entirely to sunsets.

upbeatpenguin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages upbeatpenguin
Re: the steam punk (re-sub)

this is lovely but better suited to a full-shirt print site.

noYOUt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages noYOUt

I really love this! Please resubmit (again and again) if another appropriate derby rolls around... I want to see this in my closet one day!

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen
Drakxxx wrote:Wow, the amount of support for this has been amazing. I truly appreciate it everyone

There is plenty of time left to make this happen, so if you guys want it, you know what to do.

Win or lose this has been an incredible run, and I thank all of you again.

Just so you know, I only voted on two this derby: this and the penguin. And if I knew it would really make a difference for this one, I would totally take back that other vote.

heartluce

quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
2thFairy wrote:..except they aren't rejecting anything that qualifies as a rejection in this derby!

Exactly, and, from hereon in, they may as well not bother with themes. Really disappointing.