kdubbs29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdubbs29
Re: Outpost

Got my vote. This looks awesome.

DeadFrog

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DeadFrog
Drakxxx wrote:I wanted to comment sooner sir, but it's been one of those weeks.

From what I've been told I know a lot about steampunk... and this is by far the BEST depiction of it in the contest in my opinion.

The drawing is amazing, and the details are absolutely perfect.

Thanks Drak, I really admire your ability to create such epic compositions in such a short time.

sailormoontsu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailormoontsu

Thanks everybody! As usual, I'll let you know if I can get it printed elsewhere.

Blog Vote! Visit my Spreadshirt Shop.

blahmcblah

quality posts: 5 Private Messages blahmcblah
jamescho84 wrote:I threaten my friends lives if they don't vote for me. Thursday is judgment day, there's usually a couple of asses kicked by the end of the day.

I can attest to the truth of this statement.

dangurous

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dangurous
Re: The Girl in Red

is this the most votes a fifth place shirt has ever gotten? so sad too, this is an amazing design. i submitted my vote days ago, so i cant change this outcome... sekiyoku, the next double take derby should be honorarily (making up words?) yours.

34 woots for shirts, most recent: 10/23/12: Fresh Cake Remix (L); 9/22/10 - iHome Optical Netbook Mouse; 7/12/10 - Woot Off Lights; 5/26/10 - Jolly Roger Floor Mat; 11/23/09 - Memorex 720p HD Mini Camcorder; 3/23/09 - iRobot Roomba 535 Robotic Vacuum

dangurous

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dangurous
lexaverial wrote:How is it homophobic in anyway? Sekiyoku is female and Ramyb is male, and they are dating. They simply ARE a delightful couple?

really? gasp! this makes everything they do individually better and anything they do together super awesome. ramyb and sekiyoku are two of my favorite artists on this page so hearing this news, i am completely shocked and awed. woot contestants, you have no shot.

34 woots for shirts, most recent: 10/23/12: Fresh Cake Remix (L); 9/22/10 - iHome Optical Netbook Mouse; 7/12/10 - Woot Off Lights; 5/26/10 - Jolly Roger Floor Mat; 11/23/09 - Memorex 720p HD Mini Camcorder; 3/23/09 - iRobot Roomba 535 Robotic Vacuum

HeartlineTwist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
smallgreendemon wrote:Since when is there a set-in-stone definition of "steampunk?" This isn't a visual version of an essay contest with a set thesis, where only the arguments are allowed to vary. I generally think of steampunk imagery as art that superimposes a Victorian-era obsession with Machinery (with a capital M) onto modern or futuristic technology, or uses of technology. The Victorian-era retellings of Perault's Little Red Riding Hood story make the girl little and cute and completely helpless; in this, it looks as though she is in control of the wolf, via some complicated-looking contraptions. In other words, a very contemporary triumph over the past, but one apparently achieved through visible, mechanical equipment.

I think it's a much more interesting image than a picture of some random object/animal/person with non-functional cogs and pipes added in an aesthetically-pleasing but meaningless way. (That would be the photoshop filter version of steampunk.)

Like I've said, my biggest problem with this is probably that, based on how the wolf design is executed, it just doesn't read to me as part machine, even with the smokestacks. To me, the smokestacks register as more of an excuse than a visual cue.

If the metal didn't completely cover what it does of the wolf, I'd probably be more comfortable with actually giving this a vote because it would look more like machinery than some armor covering a wolf.

I'm not saying this should summarily be rejected any more, I guess, but there is a very particular reason that it's not getting my vote, and that's it.

That said, it's a nice design and you could EASILY take it elsewhere and get it printed almost immediately. This would probably be off to the printers within a day if it went to Cameesa.

HeartlineTwist

rowanofrin wrote:Good drawing, but I have to agree this is not Steampunk. Shouldn't Woot enforce the theme, or if not, what is the point of having a theme?

Why? I mean, it's really easy to just say "This isn't steampunk" or "Lul, steam pipes don't equal steampunk," but these comments completely ignore the detail in the contraption part of the design and the execution of that feature in general.

HeartlineTwist

Re: Let's Play

If we're wanting Woot to hide the names thinking it will somehow curb Seki and Ramy's popularity, that's laughable at best. Furthermore, the system sounds good when presented as that singular idea, but:

1) What would stop an artist from just owning up to it in the threads?
2) Is there a punishment for that? What and why?
3) What about artists that advertise or post about their work elsewhere? I mean, as many people that there are that like to think Ramy and Seki are running a stable of hundreds of accounts, there ARE other people voting for them, and there definitely are other people buying their shirts. These could be your casual Woot-goer or a fanbase from offsite.

seahan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seahan

Really want Steampunk Willie to make it

Tiemannl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Tiemannl
Abydos641 wrote:Yay! Congrats on getting back to the Fog You deserve it.

I gotta give it to you man. Even though I usually dislike Drakxxx's work, this one deserved to be in the Fog.

It's rise back to the top was snuggling meteoric.

hyuk hyuk hyuk, tacos rule!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
dangurous wrote:is this the most votes a fifth place shirt has ever gotten? so sad too, this is an amazing design. i submitted my vote days ago, so i cant change this outcome... sekiyoku, the next double take derby should be honorarily (making up words?) yours.

hello? The votes are higher because of the ad on all the woot pages; all the designs are getting more votes. Even my misguided, less than perfectly on-topic design has 100 votes.

BaldBob007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BaldBob007
itoaseik wrote:Thanks for clearing that up, I'm sure that has been prominently displayed to me many times on Woot, hopefully I'll remember now. On another note, is there any particular reason Woot does not have a "click on user's name and see their previous entries" function? I've been wishing I could do that for some time.

Check out ShirtDerbyStats.com, they have a few neat functions there. One keeps an estimate of how many votes the fog contenders most likely have and another logs entries by artist.

tginsandiego

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tginsandiego
Re: Soul Mechanism (resub)

I still like the design (very futuristic victorian) but I favor the asymmetrical version a scootch.

leelaaa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leelaaa
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk

i'm hoping for an honorable mention

leelaaa

Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk

i'm hoping for an honorable mention

leelaaa

Re: Idle Hands

looks very art deco to me...like it though

Manvyi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Manvyi
Re: Steamborg (resub)

Well despite the template/rejection contretemps, a gratifying number of people thought it worth voting for this entry. Thanks all - and thanks for the comments!

StckMn2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages StckMn2
Re: Synthetic Beauty

awesome shirt!

itoaseik

quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik
BaldBob007 wrote:Check out ShirtDerbyStats.com, they have a few neat functions there. One keeps an estimate of how many votes the fog contenders most likely have and another logs entries by artist.

Yeah I did that a little yesterday to look up entries by artist, but you have to go through by individual derby... then again maybe I'm just being a complainer. So... if SDS is actually correct and there is a tie for 3rd, what happens?

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: Steampunk Willie

Wow, this actually did MUCH better than I anticipated when I submitted it. Thanks for all comments and votes!

mistmi01

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mistmi01
gesangbaer wrote:It's always nice to see elitists rear their ugly heads and pigeon-hole a style into some specific definition that only leaves room for their narrow ideas.

Considering the era the red riding hood story comes from, I think this image is definitely steam punk.

I'm pretty sure the 17th century wasn't the Victorian era. I could be wrong. But I don't think so.

Related tales date back as far as the 14th century. Well outside whatever new definition we're coming up with for Victorian.

BaldBob007

itoaseik wrote:Yeah I did that a little yesterday to look up entries by artist, but you have to go through by individual derby... then again maybe I'm just being a complainer. So... if SDS is actually correct and there is a tie for 3rd, what happens?

From what I understand, Shirt.Woot will actually sell both shirts on Sunday, $10 for both together - but that's hearsay ;) Can anyone verify? I couldn't find it on Shirt.Woot...

That, of course is assuming that SDS is anywhere near close.

BaldBob007

tgentry wrote:Wow, this actually did MUCH better than I anticipated when I submitted it. Thanks for all comments and votes!

Well, it is quite a fantastic parody. You are one of the artists that keeps me coming back. I respect those that are willing to try new things and change up, trying to grow creatively; I constantly see that in you. Your entries are rarely similar in concept or style - you constantly keep us guessing. I often love your entries, but can't tell it's you from your thumbnails. Maybe, I just haven't been here long enough...

picasserole

quality posts: 0 Private Messages picasserole
leelaaa wrote:looks very art deco to me...like it though

As stated in an earlier comment, it's an art-deco, 'never ran' entry, that I modified a bit for this derby. Thanks for comment and glad you like it enuff to say as much.

bpr2

quality posts: 182 Private Messages bpr2

yay! a shirt that actually depicts the theme in the fog!

congrats drakxxx!

that was fun while it lasted!

Valis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Valis
BaldBob007 wrote:From what I understand, Shirt.Woot will actually sell both shirts on Sunday, $10 for both together …

That makes this decision harder, actually. I think Drakxxx's most vocal supporters dislike Ramy, whether for aesthetic or personal/ethical reasons.

Chances are good that even if we get a twofer on Sunday, I'll pick this up through the Friends-link on Monday to keep my conscience clean.

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Valis wrote:That makes this decision harder, actually. I think Drakxxx's most vocal supporters dislike Ramy, whether for aesthetic or personal/ethical reasons.

Chances are good that even if we get a twofer on Sunday, I'll pick this up through the Friends-link on Monday to keep my conscience clean.

It is a sad commentary on who I am personally, as it is petty, but I will probably do the same. I don't want anything to do with the other shirt. I will gladly wait and pay $15 to get just Drakxxx's shirt. Besides, Drakxxx gets residuals from anything after the first day, right? Bonus!

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
BaldBob007 wrote:From what I understand, Shirt.Woot will actually sell both shirts on Sunday, $10 for both together - but that's hearsay ;) Can anyone verify? I couldn't find it on Shirt.Woot...

Yes, if there is a tie, the tied shirts are sold together for the same price (i.e. $10 for both). The overall number of shirts sold will be maintained, meaning that the number of sales will be cut in half. After the first day, everything goes back to the way it was (except the reckoning will have 28 instead of 27 the following week).

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

youfail

quality posts: 0 Private Messages youfail
2thFairy wrote:It is a sad commentary on who I am personally, as it is petty, but I will probably do the same. I don't want anything to do with the other shirt. I will gladly wait and pay $15 to get just Drakxxx's shirt. Besides, Drakxxx gets residuals from anything after the first day, right? Bonus!

]

well they will get their money for first days sales regardless, so if they tie i intend to have a new roll of toilet paper.

nbrosas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nbrosas
Re: Steamworks Operatica V.2

I think this derby finally proved what's wrong with ramy's legion of fans and shirt.woot... when Drakxxx doesn't win a Steampunk Derby, and ramyb has 2 entries that probably will, there is something wrong in the world.

peppersagooddog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peppersagooddog
youfail wrote:]

well they will get their money for first days sales regardless, so if they tie i intend to have a new roll of toilet paper.

totally true.
i gave grow to a guy that was living on our couch at the time. i think he uses it now to clean his pipe...

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
BaldBob007 wrote:From what I understand, Shirt.Woot will actually sell both shirts on Sunday, $10 for both together - but that's hearsay ;) Can anyone verify? I couldn't find it on Shirt.Woot...

yep. that's what happens. I remember one time it happening twice in the same derby. For all 3 days, that would have been 5 shirts for $30. Pretty good deal.

grypes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grypes
Drakxxx wrote:Your very good at drawing sir. After taking a look at your design here, I took a peek at your blog site you have linked, I'm thoroughly convinced.

I'm an illustrator first when it comes to this stuff as well. My best suggestion is to keep doing what you do and make the abilities you already have as an illustrator work for you in this medium, not the other way around.

Best of luck!

Thanks Draxx. I think I've reaslised where I'm faulting. Hopefully next round I'll give you a run for your money. :-)

rekenner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rekenner

Aaaagh!I'm heartbroken to see this fall out of the fog.
This is the only entry I really liked in this derby (No offense to your other entries, but...).
Ah well, them's the breaks.

cxl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cxl

So let's think about things a little. Most people join when they buy a shirt, right? So if wooters seriously do like ramy/seki shirts, then it would make perfect sense that all these accounts would appear AFTER ramy/seki shirts started being sold.

Get your causality right, yo.

BillyBcool

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BillyBcool
Re: Steamworks Operatica V.2

It is beyond shame that this beat Girl in Red.

"Thanks for the memories."

BillyBcool

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BillyBcool
Re: The Girl in Red

sekiyoku, don't let this miss bother you. It is RIDICULOUS that this didn't make it, but it's not your fault. The design was incredible. Keep up the great work.

"Thanks for the memories."

lexaverial

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lexaverial
BillyBcool wrote:It is beyond shame that this beat Girl in Red.

Yeah, total shame a genuine Steampunk design beat out Girl in Red.

wheemcgee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wheemcgee
BillyBcool wrote:It is beyond shame that this beat Girl in Red.

I think much the opposite. I'm glad this beat out Girl in Red.