+ Add a Comment

mitchellp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp
Re: the steam punk (no girl)

I think this design would look better if it was shrunk down a bit on the shirt. He looks way too big on the shirt.

cobolisdead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
Re: ESCAPE

Cute! I love the concept and you executing it quite nicely! GMV!

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

elwayman02

quality posts: 2 Private Messages elwayman02

This feels better without the girl, but why did you take out the wind-up key, too?

dijin

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dijin
Re: Let's Play

The robot looks cool. Doesn't exaclty make me think of steampunk though. The overall design is nice but is not unique.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: Steampunk Willie

Steampunk Willie

mitchellp

And bring back the steam and red eyes.

melite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melite

Not really sure what to say...

...is that Mickey?

Shirt.woot.com purchases: OMGcat, Let’s Play, Synthetic Beauty, Forget the Toys, I Want the Moon, Almost Human, Deforestation, Music is Life, Sunshine, 12 Angry Beasts, Lament of the Kiwi, Imposter, Spicing Things Up a Bit, The Original Blue Hedgehog
Woot.com purchases: Random guppy, Pure Digital Flip Ultra Series F260 Camcorder

cobolisdead

Re: Vintage Special Ops

I like the vehicle, but the rider looks weird to me. still, GMV!

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
Re: Mechanical Heart

I would dig this without the blue box behind her. :\

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

mitchellp

Re: Steamway

Haha... Nice... I was thinking about doin a segway too, but you did a much better job.

GMV

iknc4miles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iknc4miles
melite wrote:Not really sure what to say...

...is that Mickey?

You've never heard of the original Steamboat Willie? It was pretty much Mickey Mouse's first animated cartoon.

Nice play!

cobolisdead

Re: Super-punk

Awesome concept! GMV!

tgentry

Staff

melite wrote:Not really sure what to say...

...is that Mickey?

It's a rodent like creature with similarities to Mickey Mouse, however there are numerous differences: No double curved point on the forehead, oddly shaped ears, a little rodent nose, a different tongue, and completely different clothing, hat, and eyewear.

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

wonderful stretch outside your comfort zone.

Great job tackling a new style, Boots!

byrbwr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages byrbwr

hellooo copyright infringement!

tgentry

Staff

byrbwr wrote:hellooo copyright infringement!

Hello parody.

Obviously it skirts the line, but I think there's enough changes to make it parody. Tattle away and let woot decide. I won't moan about it if it does get rejected.

fairnymph

Re: Steamworks Operatica

Not themed as I'd hoped, but hey it's gorgeous nonetheless and seriously the ONLY thing so far worth a vote. Submit more!

fairnymph

Re: Of the Moment

I would love this minus the patchy style, which I do not think will print well. Reminds me of RamyB's 'Sea' submission (which is a good thing!).

databit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages databit

Funny take on it... Hope it is not found to be copyrighted.

mitchellp

tgentry wrote:It's a rodent like creature with similarities to Mickey Mouse, however there are numerous differences: No double curved point on the forehead, oddly shaped ears, a little rodent nose, a different tongue, and completely different clothing, hat, and eyewear.

I don't know... I like the idea... A parady of the steamboat willie cartoon, but it still looks an awful lot like Mickey in the face-even with your modifications. Maybe add some whiskers?

elwayman02

quality posts: 2 Private Messages elwayman02
Re: Iconographic Selector Unit

I agree with the above.

tgentry

Staff

mitchellp wrote:I don't know... I like the idea... A parady of the steamboat willie cartoon, but it still looks an awful lot like Mickey in the face-even with your modifications. Maybe add some whiskers?

Hey that's not a bad idea. Might go well with the rest of the get-up. Removing and resubbing, thanks.

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb

Thanks everyone for the support, glad that some of you are liking the design

hmmxkrazee wrote:The textures on the robot are friggin amazing. Great work! May I ask how you did them? jeje

And what do you use to draw? a Tablet? Photoshop?

The textures were...fairly complicated to do, honestly :P Some parts are a simple linear halftone done in photoshop, and then that is juxtaposed next to a square halftone that was done from a combination of gradient>grain>motion blur>watercolor>dry strokes>cutout, made into a square halftone. The colors of the differently shaped halftones were varied using my 6 colors, and then I hand-textured over the entire thing just with the brush tool Hope that explains things to some degree- And to answer your other question, it is in fact tablet+photoshop.

braveBebe wrote:What are you talking about? The robot is cute too!

I think he was referring to the dog as the not cute one ;)

I just wanted to quickly address some of the comments related to the "steampunkness" of this design. I wanted to include the dog to create a clear contrast, but at the same time show the humanity of the robot. The original design was actually a train instead of the dog, but I decided that I preferred the dog because it showed a more emotional side of the robot in a subtle way. I think everything about the robot says steampunk, from the colors to the gears to the shapes chosen, and I don't think the presence of the dog changes that. Clearly, the dog makes up a very small portion of the design. The reason I chose the dog as the thumbnail was to try to get people to click to see why a dog was entered in the steampunk derby, only to find that it's mainly a picture of a giant robot. I wanted to make the robot awkwardly cute while maintaining it's large size, and hopefully I achieved that. I'm sorry to anyone who thinks that this design is unoriginal, etc., but I think I achieved what I was going for fairly well.

Thanks again to those who have left kind words about the design

mewlink64

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mewlink64
Re: Best Worn With Goggles

I almost feel like the design is too square. Like maybe if there were bits poking out and the some space around the edges missing.

Foo228

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Foo228
Re: Of the Moment

Favorite. (win)

mitchellp

cobolisdead wrote:I like the vehicle, but the rider looks weird to me. still, GMV!

It's because the rider looks like he's in army fatigues or camo. The shadowing seems to be off.

Tabernack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tabernack
Re: Let's Play

Back up to old antics are we? I'm waiting for the Punk part of SteamPunk to come in... oh wait..

mixmastamikal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mixmastamikal
Re: Mechanical Love

I really like it +1

DA MIXMASTA

koronae

quality posts: 0 Private Messages koronae
Re: Best Worn With Goggles

I normally love your work bootsboots. This just isn't working for me. As another poster said, it is a great step outside of your comfort zone, and for that I do commend you. This feels very mechanical, sure. It just doesn't scream "steampunk" at me. It's a good try though. (Don't worry Boots, I still adore your shirts and your art. <3)

HKM123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HKM123
Re: I am a Puppet

These colors are fine together. I like it!

tgentry

Staff

Steampunk Willie

With furry face, whiskers, no double curved point on forehead, smaller nose, different shaped tongue, larger snout, smaller mouth, and completely different wardrobe, hat, and goggles.

koronae

Re: Soul Mechanism

How is this steampunk? Oh, I guess it has gears... Gears make things automatically steampunk, right?

koronae

Re: ba ba bamp ba ba ba ba bamp ba am i doin it right?

Hahahahaha. (Needs more gears!)

sailstud25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailstud25
databit wrote:Needs more steam.. oh and cow bells.

I've got a fever...

but really, where's the steampunk? this looks like just a clockwork type thing...

That bothered me about that dinosaurs shirt recently... was clockwork with mysterious steam coming out, but why?!?

Hmm, just went in for 3 Randoms, when I haven't bought any shirts lately (although still checking frequently) so what are the chances of liking them!?! Oh well, couldn't pass up the mystery!
...a number of shirts on teetrade.com

arcsus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages arcsus
databit wrote:/anyone notice that the title of this entry changes in the comments? Just noticed it myself.

It's just the filter working as designed.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
koronae wrote:I normally love your work bootsboots. This just isn't working for me. As another poster said, it is a great step outside of your comfort zone, and for that I do commend you. This feels very mechanical, sure. It just doesn't scream "steampunk" at me. It's a good try though. (Don't worry Boots, I still adore your shirts and your art. <3)

That's ok. I really did this design as a challenge to myself to do something a little different. As long as I accomplished that, I'm good.

hasdgfas

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hasdgfas
re: let's play

So I feel like steam-powered =/= steampunk.
This doesn't feel "rough" enough for steampunk.
You'd never see a dog in steampunk. Ever. Especially one that looks like that.

databit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages databit

Looks quite a bit different. Body shape is different, background is different, the tail is in a different position...

It looks like it was used as a guide, but not traced.

NatureMer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages NatureMer
Re: Sardine Machine

Ever wonder how they get all those little sardines to cram in those little cans? Here's a steampunk sollution, inspired by the creepy anglerfish.

Enjoy!

tgentry

Staff