veemon147

quality posts: 0 Private Messages veemon147

A write-up befitting of such a shirt.

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar

I want to get it, but the fox isn't brown.
I know someone will hot tamale about it not being brown if I get it...

Still single, can't imagine why.

ztfreep

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ztfreep

woot.shirt! sez:

This shirt tells the world: “That’s right. All the letters.”

Yeah, but only in English, you turkeys! Let's see a Cyrillic version or something, eh?

soyokazefuhen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soyokazefuhen

To all the people who flamed this shirt: I have one thing to say:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111one

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
FenStar wrote:I want to get it, but the fox isn't brown.
I know someone will hot tamale about it not being brown if I get it...

Never fear! Similar shirts exist that are properly designed.

http://www.threadless.com/submission/183428/the_quick_brown_fox_jumps_over_a_lazy_dog/showmore,designs

edit: (currently available)

http://www.threadless.com/product/424/rand_enter

Karyuu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Karyuu
soyokazefuhen wrote:
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111one

Doesn't make me like it any more o.O

ztfreep

"What do you mean 'we', pale face?"

ztfreep

mrwednesday wrote:Never fear! Similar shirts exist that are properly designed.

http://www.threadless.com/submission/183428/the_quick_brown_fox_jumps_over_a_lazy_dog/showmore,designs

lovely url that. feels, oh what can I type, oh so recursive?

ztfreep

And, as Donald Knuth supposedly once wrote (actually, it is in the index of one of this Algorithms books) "To iterate is human, to recurse, divine."

patientsaint1412

quality posts: 0 Private Messages patientsaint1412

Why did this shirt win... is this derby fixed so that people only vote for their friends??? oh well i guess I get to save 10 dollars this week.

cdblum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cdblum

been trolling shirt.woot for three years (was out of the country for two of those years, so unable to order shirts). this is the first shirt i've bought. the vast majority of people who see me wearing it will think i'm simply delightful, or a pokemon fan, but the few who understand it are the only people whose opinions matter to me anyway.

nice job.

ztfreep

"The brown dog sleeps peacefully down on the ground, merely to have the quick red (?) fox jump over it 1234567890 times?"

ztfreep

cdblum wrote:the few who understand it

aka: defined as "no one".

ztfreep

patientsaint1412 wrote:Why did this shirt win... is this derby fixed so that people only vote for their friends??? oh well i guess I get to save 10 dollars this week.

What??? There are people who have friends here? Oh what terrible things will happen next?

triplesalcho

quality posts: 2 Private Messages triplesalcho

Oh wow, this shirt is awesome... ARGH I WANT IT.

For those who don't get it:
"The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" is a pangram. A pangram is a phrase that contains ALL 26 letters of the English Alphabet.

Lorem Ipsum is like, gibberish language to fill out boxes to see how it looks like (used for typesetting, web design, etc.)

corruptdcrusadr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages corruptdcrusadr

I don't understand the shirt

Spl2iGGaN

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Spl2iGGaN

I'm SO happy this one! I just LOVE to hear people whine when the shirt they wanted to win doesn't. And hearing all these people cry about how "it only won cuz it's cute" just makes me laugh. I love you whiners, keep it coming.

Great work with this shirt! Although I'm not buying one, I still love the idea of using this for a shirt. I'm just not buying one because the color scheme doesn't really appeal to me. But I am happy it won. IN YOUR FACE WHINERS!

ztfreep

Just a thought: what if the fox misjudges the distance, falls on the dog's back and breaks it. The dog howls mournfully forever, keeping people from ever buying shirts here again.

What a tragedy!

smithsonia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages smithsonia

awww, how cute!

ztfreep

triplesalcho wrote:Oh wow, this shirt is awesome... ARGH I WANT IT.

"The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" is a pangram. A pangram is a phrase that contains ALL 26 letters of the English Alphabet.

Lorem Ipsum is like, gibberish language to fill out boxes to see how it looks like (used for typesetting, web design, etc.)

Do you want to make a bet, buddy? It means more than you THINK it means (although it has been badly battered through the ages.

Via Wiki:
The text is derived from Cicero's Finibus Bonorum et Malorum (On the Ends of Goods and Evils, or alternatively [About] The Purposes of Good and Evil ).[1] The original passage began: Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit (Translation: "Neither is there anyone who loves grief itself since it is grief and thus wants to obtain it"). It is not known exactly when the text acquired its current standard form; it may have been as late as the 1960s. The passage was discovered by Richard McClintock, a Latin scholar who is the publications director at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, by searching for citings of the rarely used word 'consectetur' in classical literature.

smedgrick

quality posts: 3 Private Messages smedgrick

I really didn't think this could win a double-take derby, considering how many great 4th-place shirts there's been. Oh well, I guess it's good to get the cute out of the way. I'm interested in seeing some good things about this shirt because I've heard nothing but disappointment from the threads, and it's boring when no one defends the shirt with a statement other than "I just like it." Even some of fablefire's supporters have called it the worst thing they've seen of hers... so let's have some positive, intelligent arguments?

And what's with the preemptive attack on whiners? It makes you seem like the whiny one.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
triplesalcho wrote:

And I think it used to be the way people tested typewriters, to make sure all the letters worked. At least, that is what I learned from Encylopedia Brown, boy detective.

And after I learned that whenever I would see typewriters (not very often!) I would then type that line.

So I think it's kinda neat. But wish the fox was brown!

Vote!

crazyharry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crazyharry

Not a big fan of this one, but I've got to show some love to my fellow Oregonian. Good job Fable!

lavareef

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lavareef

I'd love to buy one of these, but I can't figure out the magic voodoo behind the address verification system.

I'm in the UK and my postcode is in the format "AA1 1AA" but the site keeps telling me it's not valid. I've tried every variation to force the order through but nothing's been accepted. Any other UK shoppers managed to crack the code?

ztfreep

Followers of ETAOIN SHRDLU unite!

smedgrick

jasneko wrote:And I think it used to be the way people tested typewriters, to make sure all the letters worked. At least, that is what I learned from Encylopedia Brown, boy detective.

I say we turn this into an Encyclopedia Brown discussion. Who's with me?

edit: It has something to do with the shirt, since there is discussion over whether the fox is brown or not, and maybe we can look it up in an encyclopedia.

ztfreep

smedgrick wrote:I say we turn this into an Encyclopedia Brown discussion. Who's with me?

I don't know. Do you have a cute, of-age, unattached sister around?

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Karyuu wrote:Doesn't make me like it any more o.O

also doesn't make it any less the worst shirt in the entire derby.

Over 1000 people have bought William Shatner CDs. I'm jus' sayin'

ztfreep

AdderXYU wrote:

C'mon, Adder - you KNOW they only bought them so that they could burn them, run over them with their Hummers, see if they'd survive the microwave oven test, etc.

monstrodinessa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages monstrodinessa

i really just don't like this shirt. i don't like the concept for it, nor the design.

the megaman one was MUCHO better

lavareef

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lavareef

Well, I managed to place my order. Setting my region as "[County], [Postcode]" and Zip Code as "00000" did the trick.

Hopefully it'll actually arrive, but it'd be nice not to have to work around the system like that.

mllemeranii

quality posts: 7 Private Messages mllemeranii
AdderXYU wrote:also doesn't make it any less the worst shirt in the entire derby.

Well when you bring up music, music is a very subjective matter... /Devil's Advocate

Jus' Sayin'

unavaca

quality posts: 6 Private Messages unavaca

I was sad that this didn't win in the original derby -- glad it finally won!

In for 1.

smedgrick

ztfreep wrote:I don't know. Do you have a cute, of-age, unattached sister around?

you drive a hard bargain, but she's all yours.

HeartlineTwist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
mllemeranii wrote:Well when you bring up music, music is a very subjective matter... /Devil's Advocate

Jus' Sayin'

Like t-shirt designs?

Not to rehash, but even with objective criteria for t-shirt design, it's ultimately subjective.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
mllemeranii wrote:Well when you bring up music, music is a very subjective matter... /Devil's Advocate

Jus' Sayin'

The point is simply: just because people want something in droves doesn't make it good. And it's way harder to argue Mr. Shatner's questionable artistry than, say, Nickelback's, even though ol cap'm kirk could run circles around Nickelback musically. There are plenty of musicians who can't execute quality songs, just like there are plenty of wooters who can't execute quality shirts. At some point, everything subjective is bound by real life rules. It doesn't matter who likes it: it can be unarguably bad.

I presumably should have mentioned William Hung instead. I just didn't want to Godwin all over the thread and say that that jaunty mustached German dictator was pretty popular in his day. Seems a bit of a stretch. Anyway, this is the William Hung of shirts... only worthy of being made fun of on Arrested Development.

And the worst part is that, as you can see from the comments, people are buying it thinking they're intellectual. Word to the un-wise: 99% of the country will get this shirt. People dislike it because it's not that creative. or attractive.

ZombieGorilla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ZombieGorilla

I think a greater challenge would have been to visually represent "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet...". without text. Just sayin...

mllemeranii

quality posts: 7 Private Messages mllemeranii
HeartlineTwist wrote:Like t-shirt designs?

Not to rehash, but even with objective criteria for t-shirt design, it's ultimately subjective.

I agree. But I also think this is guppy. Apparently it's some people's cup of tea, but I am extremely sick of seeing the same cute, anime-style animals every weekend.

estebanb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages estebanb

I remember when shirt.woot used to have cool shirts. I haven't seen one that I've really liked in months.

HeartlineTwist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
mllemeranii wrote:I agree. But I also think this is guppy. Apparently it's some people's cup of tea, but I am extremely sick of seeing the same cute, anime-style animals every weekend.

I am in the same boat, I just don't think the constant complaining about it is really getting us anywhere.