thatwouldbefun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thatwouldbefun
Re: Mystery Gift

Oh yeah! This one is great!

EndGameOmega

quality posts: 1 Private Messages EndGameOmega
godslinger wrote:YOU don't get to make the rules. WOOT does. They can say "no penguins" and use it to include all flightless birds no matter how flighty they are. You're not the rejectonator. Don't argue with us, argue with woot.

Technically your right, and we can chose not to shop here because of it. The shirt it self was cool. I like math and science shirts, and pi is very deeply mathematical. It's really not text, even though you can print it. I mean you can print smiley faces, squares, and lines using just ASCII.

Are they also going to exclude shirts with a "?" on them? I think it's dumb and I really liked this shirt.

EndGameOmega

quality posts: 1 Private Messages EndGameOmega

Ugh, after looking over the shirts I see I've answered my own question.

iloveengl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages iloveengl
sticklink wrote:hmm, i thought it looked like the beaver from Lady and the Tramp

but either way, it does look like it's been copied...

Yes, it looks EXACTLY like the beaver from Lady and the Tramp. Same coloring, Same lines on the face. Tsk tsk.

soybeanio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soybeanio
glendower wrote:Maybe the symbol followed by a large question mark.

Is NO ONE getting it? About 3 or 4 shirts got rejected because question marks are indeed text. I would say WOOT considers everything on your keyboard text from what I've seen.

soybeanio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soybeanio
kylemittskus wrote:Or maybe he embrangles at life and basically copied another shirt. Again.

How does everyone here seem to know him?

WOOT started covering peoples names up (that submit derby entries) to be ***.

Dariel75

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dariel75

It fits the category of "Mystery" because the man is literally mysterious. Perhaps he's actually invisible, or perhaps it is just too dark to see his face beneath the shadow the fedora: we don't know.

Personally, I like it, though how well it will print is a bit hazy.

JJJSchmidt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JJJSchmidt
AdderXYU wrote:Now now, Kyle, you've been to Teefury. Celebrity likenesses are TOTALLY ORIGINAL ART

Um, are you being sarcastic or honest?
I would never have imagined that a silhouette of a REAL person could be copyrighted. That's like, so if another human has the same profile, could they be sued and force to get a nose job?

lindab53

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lindab53
Re: Whoz da wize gy?

This is cute. I like the colors.

kushmedia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kushmedia
Re: Mystery of the Human Mind

love the design, in for one if it prints

ItsReigning

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ItsReigning
mrwednesday wrote:Actually most mysteries start with a body. This shirt isn't about the mystery. It's about the murder because there's really no mystery......the girl shot him in the face.

ok so your telling me that if the police found a body that had been shot in the face, and somehow somewhere down the road they found out a girl had done it the case is solved? there are mystery movies that have shown a dark scene of what happened right at the beginning where you cant see anyones face but you can see what happened.

rubadub

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rubadub
Re: Murder Mystery

awesome this has my vote!

joelterrific

quality posts: 21 Private Messages joelterrific

Staff

Re: fedora

We'll have to have production review this print file. It's quite possible this will be too fine to print.

flusi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flusi

No text! ^^

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
ItsReigning wrote:ok so your telling me that if the police found a body that had been shot in the face, and somehow somewhere down the road they found out a girl had done it the case is solved? there are mystery movies that have shown a dark scene of what happened right at the beginning where you cant see anyones face but you can see what happened.

well, yeah. If they found the victim, and determined that the girl shot him in the face, then the case is solved. by definition. duh.

everything else is just details.

PeriwinkleHat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PeriwinkleHat

PeriwinkleHat

It's a hilarious idea and probably entered just for fun, but it's going to get rejected.

edit: Oh, look, I found the edit button. Took out the intro and now I just can't figure out how to delete this post.

stevegale

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevegale
eHalcyon wrote:Just because it hasn't been rejected yet doesn't mean it won't be.

Speaking from experience, only "ohm" above counts as text, as it is a foreign language character. The others are, in fact, non-textual symbols. And I'm not making this up - an entry was once rejected because of an "ohm" character. The irony is that it didn't actually have "ohm" in it; it was just a blurry comp or something.

I am still new to this, but thank you for the information. I will definitly stay away from ALL of the above next time..

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
PeriwinkleHat wrote:It's a hilarious idea and probably entered just for fun, but it's going to get rejected.

edit: Oh, look, I found the edit button. Took out the intro and now I just can't figure out how to delete this post.

you can't delete posts, only the mods can. you can edit it to remove the text, leave a period or something; if you do, and I remember, I'll remove the text quoting you too.

PeriwinkleHat

Beefcoat wrote:I have a guess who it is but we will have to wait and see!

Just what I was thinking--I'm very excited to find out who made this one, I'm not so sure right now.

Definitely a very fine cartoon. It's a great idea; it has great composition; I really like it.

palmettogirl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages palmettogirl
Re: fedora

This shirt is ridiculous. It looks like you got a weird bleach stain on it. Or like it has been faded in the sun.

Not an ounce of me understands why this is so popular.

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
Re: WT...

That actually looks pretty good on the shirt.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
honzo wrote:Are you and adder married or just lovers?

oh he's gonna love this... ::laughs::

rbervin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rbervin
ethanalshire wrote:I'm probably just plane illiterate but what are the stick-figure-foot looking things under the nose?

Looks like pitot tubes to me, air data instrumentation! For more google pitot static systems.

palmettogirl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages palmettogirl
Re: Masquerade

I can't take this shirt seriously. All I can think of when looking at it is that Dudley Moore and Raquel Welsh/Brendan Fraser and Elizabeth Hurley movie Bedazzled.

Sorry. The artwork is great and everything. Wish I could like it but the horrible movie connection kills the appeal for me.

redesnot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redesnot
narkus wrote:um...but why is he grabbing his pants like that?

hes resting his hand on his lap. get your mind outta the gutter! jk.

skirochester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester
joelterrific wrote:We'll have to have production review this print file. It's quite possible this will be too fine to print.

Thanks Joel. I just sent the artwork in. I really don't think there will be a printing issue. It's no finer than halftones that have been printed in the past. And my line-weight is no different than a shirt you printed called "deforestation" which came out perfect.

The vision for this shirt isn't to come out bold and colorful. It's meant to fade into the shirt, which gives it the mysterious look.

Thanks for the support from the non-haters!

arpayton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arpayton
neonix wrote:White is perfect. Everyone who doesn't like white should actually try on a white shirt for a change. They match with everything you know.

However, I couldn't wear this shirt because of the camera. I know I'd have people being making comments about it, not good comments, dumb ones. If the camera were fixed, this would be a definite buy.

This summarizes my thoughts exactly.

redesnot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redesnot
dea007 wrote:Me neither.

just think of alien interbreeding with chimpanzees to create a super intellegent race (hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm? makes sense dont it, cant believe they dont teach this at school). also see the dan bern song "no missing link"

rcortl28

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rcortl28
Re: Murder Mystery

Awsome design! Love the smoke and the "soul" rising up, as well as the characters standing up out of the book. As for the murder part, I think it's completely justified in this work of art. Sign me up!

Richard C Ortlip

wookieonendor

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wookieonendor

Anything but a white t!

But this is a darn cute graphic. Great job!

camoor

quality posts: 1 Private Messages camoor
Josephus wrote:well, yeah. If they found the victim, and determined that the girl shot him in the face, then the case is solved. by definition. duh.

everything else is just details.

You should watch Basic Instinct or Memento. Great movies that start with the murder. After all - devil is in the details.

Then you have the movies in which one set of events is "imagined" oncscreen, then reworked as more and more witness testimony comes in.

I like it because the girl shoots the guy in the head - that right there is suspicious. If I've learned anything from police procedurals, it's that males tend to aim for the head while females almost always aim for the heart.

RaefWolfe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages RaefWolfe
truffleshuffle wrote:I wanted the feeling of him going on forever, down into the depths. Perhaps I didn't accomplish this correctly eh?

If that is what you were going for, you should have cut him off horizontally, not vertically. Fading into the deeps would be parallel to the ocean line

Tiraxmisu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tiraxmisu

The lion ate it!

ElectricRobotz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ElectricRobotz
Re: Whoo Are You? (on Brown)

I really love the colors that you chose for this.
^_^
I would wear this shirt.
You have my vote.

truffleshuffle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle
RaefWolfe wrote:If that is what you were going for, you should have cut him off horizontally, not vertically. Fading into the deeps would be parallel to the ocean line

hmmm, that does make a lot more sense. I'll remember this for future shirts Thanks for the advice!

theinfinityloop

quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
AdderXYU wrote:Given the fact that the derby is intended to be anonymous, it is not unthinkable that someone would, indeed, not know you better than that, at least at first blush. Given the plethora of designs this week that are flaunting the anonymity rule, it is not at all shocking I would presume this entry did the same upon seeing it. So regardless of what I may or may not know about you, it's not as though I can say "oh, ***, I know them well enough to know they wouldn't do that", and it's a bit unfair to presume anyone would.

Also, when people are immediately attacking similar ideas with more concept, and later saying ludicrous things like "I don't know how these cats are drawn cute, they look realistic" (news flash: cats are cute. realistic cats are therefore drawn cute), I get at the defense of common sense. That's what I do.

So while I appreciate you clearing up your motivations behind this design, I can't see the thread going differently in a derby such as this without knowing who you were immediately. And even so, I feel that most of my beliefs here would be unchanged, outside of that first impression.

Fair enough. It just sort of shocked me, that's all.

It never once entered my mind that this design would warrant any pandering accusations. I guess it should have. I guess I didn't think it through. I just wanted to hurry up and start sketching so I would have something done in time. Anyway what I'm trying to say is, since I never considered it, I was completely blind-sided by the comment. That combined that with the fact that I care immensely about what you think made me defensive. Whether I was right to get defensive I don't know. I'm just explaining.

mrwednesday wrote:Even with the best of intentions it still boils down to, "I like Clue. I like cats. Let's do Clue with cats.")

You're pretty much right. I guess I just want to make it known that I did it for me. I didn't do it to pander.

godslinger wrote:Actually it sounds like that's exactly what you're doing with your explanation. You're getting defensive, calling yourself out, and saying "well it's not like I'm sekiyoku or deadfrog." So it's okay when you do cute for cute's sake just like anyone else.

I indeed got defensive. It happens.

godslinger wrote:I doubt you'd really want to shrug off a few hundred of those "cute" votes you're getting for this design.

To be honest I'm indifferent because I don't really want to own a shirt to commemorate what is now my least favorite derby ever.

eHalcyon wrote:The great thing about Adder is that he is completely honest and fair in his judgement. There are some designers I know he's disliked that he went on to blog about - which as we all know is a very high honour given Adder's discriminating tastes. Similarly, I don't think he ever blindly praises a design just because a friend submitted it - something too many people do. He may hold his tongue or tone down the harshness, but when he speaks, you can be sure he's calling it like he sees it. No duplicity, no equivocation.

QFT.

RaefWolfe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages RaefWolfe
neonix wrote:It's definitely white and not the same color as the shirt.

Use hex color finder or another hex-determining color program. They're right - it's not white, but creme.

I feel that the design would be stronger if the people were creme, though.

noisdois

quality posts: 1 Private Messages noisdois

Lol! Hot dogs are DEFINITELY made of puckers! :D