raebee


quality posts: 21 Private Messages raebee
JJJSchmidt wrote:Um, I have to respectfully disagree and question your logic. Ths facial features are very similar I bet if a found a open season coloring book, that is exactly what you would find. The image included isn't the best example if you saw the movie, or grabbed on of those chocolatey movie books, the image is so close.
Plus, I must ask, do you have any artistic sense? The hunter is not of a similar style at all, except for color choices. He should be far more cartoony as well in order to keep proper rhythm. I think that is what threw me off the most. He is of a totally different style from the rest.
I am not advocating reject perse. But people should take back their votes do to replication. This is so chocolatey to mimic something that doesn't need mimicked. The bunnies and concept is great, but the hunter was phoned in... That is all I am getting at!



Since there was so much arguing about this topic I looked up picture from the coloring book as suggested so I could make up my mind for myself. I invite others to do the same.


Where do you find a Roomba? At the Innba!

L3g3ndQ


quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ
mitchellp wrote:Those beavers don't look as good as mine.



you mean as good as Disney's

sakleehop


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sakleehop
CelestialAxis wrote:This looks disturbingly like something else that is not appropriate for shirts...



Yikes - now I cannot not see the "inappropriateness" of the design!

Drakxxx


quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx
g8skey wrote:Shhh. if people want to think I'm Draxx let them. Maybe I'll be able to win for once and then I can eat something that isn't Ramen.

:-D



It looks great sir, and is the most amusing take on the idea in my opinion.

Also, for what it's worth, your beating all 3 of my entries in the contest considerably. The Ramen is definitely on you this week!


cobolisdead


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
Re: Cats With Weapons



Come on folks! Keep this in the fog!

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
sakleehop wrote:Yikes - now I cannot not see the "inappropriateness" of the design!



No kidding. Even with the title, what was someone thinking?

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

MaryESP


quality posts: 1 Private Messages MaryESP
Re: Murder Mystery



I don't think this could be rejected for being off topic. *** could just say that this scene is the END of the mystery, where you see who did it in a flashback, or that the REAL mystery is what happens to the soul (represented by that green thing) after it leaves the body, or some other things.

Still, I didn't vote for it. I doubt it will print well, and I can't see myself wearing something that violent. It's not my style, and I work with kids.

As for the PG-13 rule, ratings are so subjective. Which do you think was more violent? The Dark Knight (PG-13) or There Will Be Blood (R)?

Woot seems to prefer to err on the side of caution, which makes sense, because they don't want to alienate customers.



The REAL mystery seems to be whether Woot will reject this, or prove (again?) to have double-standards.

Kex


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Kex
eHalcyon wrote:It can be looked at in two ways.

1. It's a BOC. It's Woot-related - instant rejection.

2. It's not Woot related - it's just a paper bag. But in that case, there's nothing mysterious about. It's off topic - rejection.

Sorry, mystery artist!



guess i havent been around long enough, but how is a paper bag considered "woot related"?

Stop voting for shirts that you would never buy or wear, it says "I'd want one" not "I like this"!

pssquishy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages pssquishy
ericleekent wrote:Even if he posted a higher resolution version, it's still never going to be the same as his vector file that will be printed. You can zoom in an infinite number of times on a line in the vector file and the edges will still be sharp. Not so in any resolution jpg. When an image is converted to a jpg, information is lost. That's the whole purpose of converting it to a jpg - to save file space. So if some lines and dots seem smaller than 1point, it's probably because the conversion from vector to jpg decided to discard that information. This isn't defending the shirt - just helping to clarify a point of confusion. If woot posted the vector files for everyone to see, it would put a lot more strain on their bandwidth and each page would load a lot slower.



Sorry. I know nothing about this, but this seems like your argument and it makes no sense to me:

jpeg images actually shrink the size of a dot and/or line. If that's accurate, then fair enough. And if I misunderstood your argument, I will stand corrected. But, I don't think that makes sense.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Kex wrote:guess i havent been around long enough, but how is a paper bag considered "woot related"?



One of Woot's most famous deals is the "bag of apcray". You pay $3 + $5 shipping (I think) and get three completely random items (works out to $1 per "apcray", not including shipping). You might get a shirt, an mp3 player, a TV, a bucket... It's really quite random. Items aren't guaranteed to be in working order either.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Kex wrote:guess i havent been around long enough, but how is a paper bag considered "woot related"?



woot.com Woot Offs include a 'B a g of C r a p'--essentially you order random stuff. You don't know what's included, just that it's cheap and might include some really, really cool stuff. When the burrito of chorizo is the item for sale, they display a paper bag with a question mark on it.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

mitchellp


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp
L3g3ndQ wrote:you mean as good as Disney's



Geesh! I'm really tired of arguing about this. The similarity between the two beavers is purely coincidental. What else can I say? But if you still think these two beavers are too similar, then my design could easily pass as a parody because I don't recall the beaver being a milkman in any movie.

k3no


quality posts: 0 Private Messages k3no
Re: Whats under the bed?



Its a giant Squidbillie !!

marmls2m


quality posts: 2 Private Messages marmls2m

.


g8skey


quality posts: 0 Private Messages g8skey
eHalcyon wrote:20 px at 300 dpi works out to less than 2 millimeters. It's not that thick.



maybe not but I feel like a lot of Draxx and my designs go thinner on lines often.

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
truffleshuffle wrote:This shirt is adorable, simple, clever and very wearable. Great work;) I still can't fight the feeling somehow though that this owl is wearing oven-mitts, ha ha.



Thanks

LOL yeah, I noticed that about the wings. Now, for some reason, I also can't stop thinking about waffles when I look at them

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
JJJSchmidt wrote:stuff



It's possible that he based his character off of the one from Open Season. It's also possible that the entry in last place right now could win the derby. It's also possible that ehalc is the artist just submitting with a secret account, but he isn't and it won't and it's not.

There's no more reason to accept this a possibility than to accept that tgentry stole the idea for "The Devil's in the Details." Some things just don't warrant consideration.

g8skey


quality posts: 0 Private Messages g8skey
Drakxxx wrote:It looks great sir, and is the most amusing take on the idea in my opinion.

Also, for what it's worth, your beating all 3 of my entries in the contest considerably. The Ramen is definitely on you this week!



O.o

wow... that's... hmmmm.

I'm happy and sad simultaneously.

whoivealwaysbeen


quality posts: 0 Private Messages whoivealwaysbeen
Re: Murder Mystery



Wow. As someone who has had gun violence in their family, I find this extremely unappealing. I am guessing that I would find it unappealing even if it didn't hit me on a personal level. It is amazingly graphic and not in a good way. And um, what part of it is mysterious? That we don't know the names of these two people? I don't see the mystery at all. I usually am uncomfortable criticizing these designs, because I can barely draw stick figures, so who am I to comment? However, this just seemed to need a response.

I was always thought that I wanted to be a Pepper Too, but being a Wooter seems like so much more fun!

Candihanks


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Candihanks
Re: Murder Mystery



I think if this one stays in I will be done with buying and submitting artwork on woot. It will prove that not everyone gets treated equal here. This artwork has halftones, violence, and text (contains a huge question mark) which are all things that everyone else has been rejected with.

GravityJMB


quality posts: 5 Private Messages GravityJMB
Re: Cats With Weapons



Isn't this more than 6 colors?

I see:

Yellow
Green
Blue
Purple
Red
White
Black

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
mrwednesday wrote:Not really. The design is much more a generic slack jawed yokel hunter than anything. The khaki pants/flannel shirt/orange vest is iconic and far far far precedes Open Season. That and the two don't have any facial similarity whatsoever.

It would be the same as saying every bigfoot design should be rejected for copying Harry and the Hendersons. Ridiculous.



Agreed. I'm not a huge fan of the piece (the layout is a little odd, and the cutesy bunnies don't really jive with the more detailed hunter's style), but dumb arguments are dumb arguments.

patchworks


quality posts: 0 Private Messages patchworks
re: the mystery of life



I mean, I don't know if this would win the Mystery derby, but I would definitely buy this.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
MaryESP wrote:I don't think this could be rejected for being off topic. *** could just say that this scene is the END of the mystery, where you see who did it in a flashback, or that the REAL mystery is what happens to the soul (represented by that green thing) after it leaves the body, or some other things.

Still, I didn't vote for it. I doubt it will print well, and I can't see myself wearing something that violent. It's not my style, and I work with kids.

As for the PG-13 rule, ratings are so subjective. Which do you think was more violent? The Dark Knight (PG-13) or There Will Be Blood (R)?

Woot seems to prefer to err on the side of caution, which makes sense, because they don't want to alienate customers.



The REAL mystery seems to be whether Woot will reject this, or prove (again?) to have double-standards.



Read this thread and tell me if woot has double standards or not.

Someone at shirt.woot has a daughter who is in love with One Piece fan-art, and the duo responsible for questionably on topic and repeatedly poorly executed work is providing it in place of immunity from the rules of the derby. That is the only explanation that I can possibly work out as to why, week in and week out, there are two users who could submit german cranberry apple pie bake-offs and not get rejected.

dshindell


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dshindell
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=32799]



How is this not on topic? Both the reason these lights come on and the amount of money it will cost you are always a mystery to most people. Apparently 10 people within the first three hours of it being posted thought it was on-topic. I call shenanigans on WOOT!

ensmind


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ensmind
Re: Was It You?



Woot Staff: "Rejected because: That's a ?, yes?"

Answer: Only if you want it 2 B!

ensmind


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ensmind
Re: Was It You?



But yeah... it is! Lol!

indihar


quality posts: 7 Private Messages indihar
Re: fedora



L3g3ndQ wrote:well great! with this one gone there isnt an entry remotely close to the fog that i would want to wear/buy B^(

i also agree 20 seams a bit thick B^(



Yes....I can now say it's official.

The "mystery" of this derby....is why woot would think I'll be buying anything from it.


rubadub


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rubadub
Re: Upon Closer Inspection...



hahhha this is awesome! I love quite a few of the top ones this week.

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
GravityJMB wrote:Isn't this more than 6 colors?

I see:

Yellow
Green
Blue
Purple
Red
White
Black



The green is actually the yellow (mustard) color with blue halftones. Which is specifically why she blew up that cat in the corner.

Radscoolian


quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian

.

leelaaa


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leelaaa
Drakxxx wrote:Yup, sure did. Was worth a shot though as always, and I'm pretty pleased in how it came out. Maybe I should have kept it horizontal.



yup yup

snarkygal


quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
Re: Clueless



I think this is a very clever way to do a Clue-based shirt. Well done. And I think the smiley faces are cute.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
EndGameOmega wrote:By that logic all shirts are off topic and should be rejected. Again not only are you missing my point, but your creating arguments which don't hold.

Try to understand what I'm saying, I know I'm not always clear in my explanations, but your responses lead me to believe that you don't even understand my point. The concept at work here, the fundamental idea behind the shirt is the mystical and mysterious nature of the circle. The idea, the symbolism is at work is wrapped up in the symbol pi. The nature of the shape and how it is use is far removed from that of a letter. Though the specific shape may represent it so, it is not being used as the Greek alphabet. It's fundamentally different.

Perhaps this will help, letters are symbols, and text is comprised of letters. However not all symbols are letters. Pi in the form and nature as it is being used here is not as a letter. It is purely symbolic, hence not true text. I don't believe the artist is using it as a greek letter would. It would not be pronounced as the letter pi would be nor could you use it in a greek sentence. It is fundamental detracted from the alphabet due to the nature of how it's being used.

The inaccuracy on woots part maybe minor,and to most people trivial. However I dislike ambiguity in any set of rules, as it creates unclear distinction between what is and is not valid.



@ is a symbol. It would get rejected. Because it is text. Letters are also text. Words are text because they are made of text. when you "text" someone, you say things like "R U there? thx 4 th gift". These are not words, but they are text. Which is why it is called "texting" and not "wording". Likely, greek phones text the letter pi often.

You don't understand intention. If a triangle is used, as your Delta argument before, it is a triangle, unless used in a context where it might be a delta. Similarly, if someone made a bench that looked like the pi symbol, but was clearly a bench, it would not be rejected. This is clearly pi, and pi is text. It is intended to be pi. It might not be intended to be the LETTER pi, but it is intended to be the SYMBOL pi, and since all letters are symbols, and all letters are text, the SYMBOL pi is text. Some symbols aren't text, like that pyramid with the eye on the back of our money, or many religious ones, such as a star of david, a cross, a pentagram... these are not text, but are symbols. If your symbol is also text, it is rejected. Simple stuff.

Though even without the text argument, which you are unable to grasp, you say the shirt is about "the mystery of a circle". Uh, right. Given the more mysterious yet not mystery rejections elsewhere in the derby, this would have been off topic, even if it was allowed that your incredibly backwards definition of what is and isn't text was correct.

I understand your argument. And it is flawed and stupid.

wootBam


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootBam
re: upon closer inspection...



Its a nice break from the, "look at me im deep and moody" shirts

snarkygal


quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
Re: Loch Ness Tours



The design is cute, but I'm tiring of the color scheme. I could tell who the designer was just from the colors LOL.

mitchellp


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp
Re: Femme Fatale



Wow... The colors really pop off this shirt. Nice job!

snarkygal


quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
Re: An Unfolding Mystery



This is awesome! Well done.

spanishmel


quality posts: 0 Private Messages spanishmel

I ALWAYS love this artists work! It is too hilarious not to be.... Great job!

byrbwr


quality posts: 3 Private Messages byrbwr

too bad deadfrog. and by too bad i mean i hate you.