g8skey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages g8skey
jonny4square wrote:I like this one. Halftones or not this is a cool looking shirt.For you people who think this is offensive YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY IT! That kinda solves the problem.

That's not exactly the point. In the "what is shirt.woot?" page it says:

Will Shirt.Woot really produce and sell the three designs that get the most votes in a given week?
Generally, yes. Unless:
* We determine that the design's content is offensive or obscene;

(there are other options for rejection also)

But the point is people feel it should fall into that guideline. They're not wrong to speak up and try to get the woot leaders to concede to that view.

jonny4square

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonny4square
g8skey wrote:That's not exactly the point. In the "what is shirt.woot?" page it says:

Will Shirt.Woot really produce and sell the three designs that get the most votes in a given week?
Generally, yes. Unless:
* We determine that the design's content is offensive or obscene;

(there are other options for rejection also)

But the point is people feel it should fall into that guideline. They're not wrong to speak up and try to get the woot leaders to concede to that view.

true true...

jonny4square

I agree people should by all means be able to express ones opinion. I have read many posts on here and I think I have figured out that the problem is not with the "offensive" art but with shirt.woot. to the people that would stop buying from shirt.woot if this gets published well I have a story for you.

My mom is a very bargain shopper and likes to get the best deals on things so she liked to shop at a very specific grocery store. Well one year when I was about 10 or so during Halloween season the store put up decorations. My mom being a very religious woman saw that and boycotted that store, along with writing a formal letter to the corp. headquarters and calling the head manager of the store to complain. All of that accomplished nothing (BTW). So she stood by her word and didn't shop there again. Well about 3 years ago we were both talking about that incident and she told me how stupid it was to boycott that store how many sales and good things she missed out on and the more money and time she spent driving 30 more miles to the next store.

Lesson is don't cut your nose off to spite your face.

"Even within the most beautiful landscape, in the trees, under the leaves the insects are eating each other; violence is a part of life."

famous Irish born British artist Francis Bacon

PS: sorry for the text wall

g8skey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages g8skey
jonny4square wrote:good anecdote

Yeah I'd laugh at anyone who tried to play the boycott card. I've never seen that work ever.

It's basically the silent treatment. It doesn't work socially... so why would it work professionally?

However all that leaves is vocalization. Which means a lot of complaining in the threads... and then complaints about the complaining.

Unfortunately... until there is a better system... this will have to do. :-)

jonny4square

g8skey wrote:Yeah I'd laugh at anyone who tried to play the boycott card. I've never seen that work ever.

It's basically the silent treatment. It doesn't work socially... so why would it work professionally?

However all that leaves is vocalization. Which means a lot of complaining in the threads... and then complaints about the complaining.

Unfortunately... until there is a better system... this will have to do. :-)

lol I agree

sbaszto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sbaszto
Re: Cats With Weapons

c'mon folks... cats in coats are hilarious! Let's get this one back in the fog.

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 8 Private Messages benjaminleebates
Re: tonight, a tail of murder

this is a copyrighted art;

A silhouette is not, it can't be. Forms created by nature cannot be copyrighted. Chihuly tried to copyright specific natural forms, he even took people to court over it; and he lost repeatedly!

Synthesis2k2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Synthesis2k2
dashablade wrote:All I've got to say about this is that if Mr/Ms *** were to turn this into a poster to stick on my wall, I'd buy it.

Artistically, I think it's fine, but again, it would look better on a wall than on someone's upper- and mid- section.

I second that. I'd definitely buy a poster of this design. ...and even if the shirt did make it, I'd probably buy one of those, too.

mitchellp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp
Re: Tada!

The expression on the elephant's face gets my vote

mitchellp

Re: Murder Mystery

Does anyone else notice the giant blurry question mark made from the smoke coming out of the book?

Edit: Sorry... After reading thru the thread, it looks like I'm about a day late on discussing this.

haezoo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages haezoo
Re: maybe

This would make a great maternity tee - especially for the end when you feel as big as a planet.

(And maybe not so good for someone with a bit of a tummy.)

maskoficarus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maskoficarus

Very nice!

cobolisdead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
fablefire wrote:Well you quoted Cobolis, who I was talking to about the on-theme-ness of the entry.

Just a small note, I prefer Cobol over Cobolis. My screen name is taken from the phrase Cobol is Dead. It refers to a dead computer language that is pretty much only used by Banks and governments these days. COmmon Business Oriented Language. I hated having to learn that in school.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

joelterrific

quality posts: 21 Private Messages joelterrific

Staff

Re: Ghost Town RESUB

Isn't this a photo. Post your source if nothing else.

supersonic213

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supersonic213
Re: maybe

I love the concept! I know it won't print with gradients but please bring your ideas to future derbies!

Also, placement is a little strange so far down the shirt like that, though I suppose it could work. The wearer is going to get some attention to the midsection while people are interpreting the art.

The guys at the new SONIC drive-in told me to have a supersonic day. And I did!

supersonic213

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supersonic213
Penguinparfait wrote:I like the concept but it'd have been way cuter with a hotdog pondering the origins of his existence...with really cute fat animals in the thought bubble. Cute pigs sell.

HAH! That would have been a derby winner around here for sure.

The guys at the new SONIC drive-in told me to have a supersonic day. And I did!

thixotropic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thixotropic
Re: Mystery Meat

Excellent creativity. Great category entry.

mitchellp

Re: Mystery of the Platypus Solved!! (RESUB)

Thanks for all of the support everyone. I'm really happy so many people liked my design enough to vote for it. This surpasses my record high of 125 votes. Let's keep the votes coming. Thanks again!

mitchellp

Re: Mystery of the Platypus Solved!

Thanks for all of the support everyone. I'm really happy so many people liked my design enough to vote for it. My resub of this design surpasses my record high of 125 votes. Let's keep the votes coming. Thanks again!

redesnot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redesnot
FDAlberts wrote:maybe its a Planet of the Apes spin-off? but its not an ape. idk..............someone explain!

some resources for people who are having trouble understanding this concept:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transitional_fossil

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread5381/pg1

blend that with a little wit and humour and i think (hope) you get the idea.

MarlosTiger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MarlosTiger
Re: Yes... ANOTHER clue shirt. [resub cause I'm dumb]

This is a nice shirt, but I prefer 'Cats w/weapons' because Mr. Boddy was the victim, not one of the other guests. This one is still quite nice and deserves recognition.

RaefWolfe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages RaefWolfe
Re: How we got pictures of the Yeti

Another example of thumbnail-voting and cuteness-voting. This is pretty sad.

I agree with all the previously listed criticisms.

RaefWolfe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages RaefWolfe
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=32812]

How is this off topic, again? It's a mystery what the word is. It's not a far stretch, not like some of the other ones making it through.

scumit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scumit

If you ever print this elsewhere lemme know :]

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129

This design is very well done AND would sell like hotcakes. I have trouble believing it wouldn't dominate in the HM derby if it doesn't make it back to the fog. Here's hoping...

Icemank91

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Icemank91

Get back in the fog now!

huhnjo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages huhnjo

I love this design. I wished I had the artistic ability to create art like this.

cobolisdead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
Icemank91 wrote:Get back in the fog now!

Here here!

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: The Mystery of Attraction

Now that the end of the mystery derby is nearing.... thanks for the votes and comments on this, I appreciate it! At first it seemed unnoticed, but then it was great to see the slow climb upward over time.

Vote!

gabriel404

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gabriel404

I just bought a different shirt from the Reckoning, just so I could vote in the Derby.

I hope Cats with Weapons wins!!

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
Re: Femme Fatale

Only just noticed this one. Striking. GMV.

xxchange

quality posts: 44 Private Messages xxchange
dlcramer99 wrote:I can't speak to copyright, but "The Birds" is one of his best movies (definitly top 3 in my book).

Naw.

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

IndependentVik

Re: The Lesser Mouse Detective

This is funny, but a lot of the humor hinges on the title, which is only funny to people who are familiar with "The Great Mouse Detective". Since there's no text on the shirt . . . I'm not sure it's strong enough to stand on its own. I'll give you that it's cute, though

IndependentVik

Re: Fork?....Spoon?....You Decide!

I'm not really seeing the mystery here.

spilzer

quality posts: 120 Private Messages spilzer

Fantastic quality on this here shirt. Not sure why I didn't see it earlier. 'Tis a shame because I really like it!

spanishmel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spanishmel

Thank you everyone. I appreciate the kind words, this has been a fun derby!

Jussslic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jussslic

i really, really wish this'd fogged. that monster is soooo cool.

huhnjo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages huhnjo
JJJSchmidt wrote:Um, are you being sarcastic or honest?
I would never have imagined that a silhouette of a REAL person could be copyrighted. That's like, so if another human has the same profile, could they be sued and force to get a nose job?

My thoughts as well.

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
Re: Murder Mystery

Currently out of the fog... thank you mystery voters who made it happen. Let's keep it that way for another 25 minutes.

emp1346

quality posts: 1 Private Messages emp1346
IndependentVik wrote:I'm not really seeing the mystery here.

that can be said for many many shirts in this derby...

as for this one, i likes it... gmv...