eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
xxchange wrote:You people are all old.

I always feel left out! I never get the references. They're all from the... '80s?

How old are you? I haven't turned 21 yet but I still get the reference in the design. Unless you're talking about something in the write-up, which I haven't yet read.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

mitchellp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp

That sux for them!

Doza

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Doza

this is awesome, in for one, this goes along with my other black space shirt from woot, http://s3.amazonaws.com/wootsaleimages/Not_Exactly_a_Rocket_Scientistur5Detail.png

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

That must be Ender's less-talented brother floating away on the asteroid.

theraccoon

quality posts: 5 Private Messages theraccoon
RobotDCLXVI wrote:I still like Asteroids Killed the Dinosaurs best, and am STILL angry that I missed my shot at that one.

Thanks - if you watch this space I'm getting my people* on to getting it up somewhere else soon (although I'm not even sure it's out of woot's 150 day (or whatever it is) rights thing, unless that expires with the end of the double-take derby).

(* 'my people' may or may not mean 'me')

Shigwarm

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Shigwarm

Clearly this design is some sort of precursor for Universal's new Asteroids movie coming out.

nbouscal

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nbouscal
eHalcyon wrote:How old are you? I haven't turned 21 yet but I still get the reference in the design. Unless you're talking about something in the write-up, which I haven't yet read.

Yeah, while Asteroids is old, I can't imagine anyone not getting the reference... I mean, it's part of history! To be honest I'm not sure I get the writeup, but I never get the writeups, I've just assigned that to woot having a weird sense of humor.

reipsadeus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages reipsadeus

Alright, now I have a reason to wear my Asteroids watch and play Atari again, as if Galaga and Dig Dug had not already consumed enough time.

Doe not call up Any that you cannot put downe; by the which I mean, Any that can in turn call up somewhat against you, whereby your powerfullest Devices may not be of use. Ask of the Lesser, lest the Greater shall not wish to Answer, and shall commande more than you.

- H.P. Lovecraft

nbouscal

theraccoon wrote:Thanks - if you watch this space I'm getting my people* on to getting it up somewhere else soon (although I'm not even sure it's out of woot's 150 day (or whatever it is) rights thing, unless that expires with the end of the double-take derby).

Woot has rights to your design for 60 days. After that it's yours again (unless they print it, obviously).

theraccoon

nbouscal wrote:Woot has rights to your design for 60 days. After that it's yours again (unless they print it, obviously).

I thought it got extended to something like 150 if it got picked for the double-take. (I am entirely willing to believe I am imagining things, however.)

xxchange

quality posts: 44 Private Messages xxchange
eHalcyon wrote:How old are you? I haven't turned 21 yet but I still get the reference in the design. Unless you're talking about something in the write-up, which I haven't yet read.

I'm sixteen and, though I understood it was a video game, I had no idea it was even a real one. For all I knew it was made up.

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

debbiesnax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages debbiesnax

As much as I love Asteroids, I'll have to pass - would be the day when we'd discussed uses of GIS/GPS in the STS-107 Space Shuttle Columbia debris recovery.

Too morbid for my tastes.

too numerous to mention, over 40 t-shirts for me and as gifts. Still no bandolier of carrots.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
nbouscal wrote:Woot has rights to your design for 60 days. After that it's yours again (unless they print it, obviously).

yeah, the 100something day hold is for the sake of double-take derbies. if the 60 days AND its relevant doubletake pass, you should be set

nbouscal

theraccoon wrote:I thought it got extended to something like 150 if it got picked for the double-take. (I am entirely willing to believe I am imagining things, however.)

Hrm, you're probably right, if you didn't opt out of the double-take. I'd check, but submissions are down until tomorrow and the only place I remember it being laid out explicitly is on the submission form :P

Edit: Just listen to what Adder said, he's way smarter than me :P.

nbouscal

xxchange wrote:I'm sixteen and, though I understood in was a video game, I had no idea it was even a real one. For all I knew it was made up.

That... makes me a little bit sad, to be honest. Asteroids is part of your heritage, man! You should play it at least once in your life. You should also play that super awesome downhill skiing game from Windows 3.1.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
xxchange wrote:I'm sixteen and, though I understood it was a video game, I had no idea it was even a real one. For all I knew it was made up.

Consider yourself a little more educated tonight.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

ViperEagle

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ViperEagle
nbouscal wrote:That... makes me a little bit sad, to be honest. Asteroids is part of your heritage, man! You should play it at least once in your life. You should also play that super awesome downhill skiing game from Windows 3.1.

ominous messages from Greg i loved that game, stupid yetis always ruin your fun though

*runs off to find it*

nbouscal

ViperEagle wrote:ominous messages from Greg i loved that game, stupid yetis always ruin your fun though

*runs off to find it*

Seriously, those yetis made me break things. Frequently. That game was almost as classic as duck hunt. Oh the memories.

xxchange

nbouscal wrote:That... makes me a little bit sad, to be honest. Asteroids is part of your heritage, man! You should play it at least once in your life. You should also play that super awesome downhill skiing game from Windows 3.1.

I never liked video games. They make me cringe. Just hearing the music is enough to send me running from the room. (also I'm a girl )

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

xxchange

eHalcyon wrote:Consider yourself a little more educated tonight.

Hopefully I'll forget what I learned.

KaylaJ

quality posts: 22 Private Messages KaylaJ
nbouscal wrote:Seriously, those yetis made me break things. Frequently. That game was almost as classic as duck hunt. Oh the memories.

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ
wallyboag wrote:Completely tasteless.

Which means Perfect for wooters.

imsochady

quality posts: 30 Private Messages imsochady
xxchange wrote:I'm sixteen and, though I understood it was a video game, I had no idea it was even a real one. For all I knew it was made up.

I think it used to come with the PCs along with pinball, minesweeper, and solitaire.

jammerb

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jammerb
4x4toyota wrote:Kinda morbid... and sad...

my feelings too

flibbityjibbet

quality posts: 3 Private Messages flibbityjibbet

Bud Ice.
McCormick's vodka.
Taco Bell's dollar menu.
Friends reruns.
Shirt.Woot video game references.
Monopoly night.

Yes, when there is nothing better available, all of these things hollar out a resounding cry:

"That'll do."

xxchange

imsochady wrote:I think it used to come with the PCs along with pinball, minesweeper, and solitaire.

Computers came preloaded with games? Since when?

ChefRAZ

imsochady wrote:I think it used to come with the PCs along with pinball, minesweeper, and solitaire.

I'm old, But Never thought there'd Come a day when mcfly was a singing group and not a dollar menu item at MCee d's. how did I end up Replyng to this post?

this is the one I was going for.

imsochady

xxchange wrote:Computers came preloaded with games? Since when?

OH YES! Since the dawn of time!!! Hahah. I use Vista, and it still has one of my favs minesweeper, no more asteroids though, but it now has chess!

xxchange

ChefRAZ wrote:I'm old, But Never thought there'd Come a day when mcfly was a singing group and not a dollar menu item at MCee d's. how did I end up Repling to this post?

I understood maybe two words of that.

xxchange

imsochady wrote:OH YES! Since the dawn of time!!! Hahah. I use Vista, and it still has one of my favs minesweeper, no more asteroids though, but it now has chess!

I just got a Vista, and I've found it to be incredibly inconvenient.

INDIGO661

quality posts: 0 Private Messages INDIGO661
aman88 wrote:Totally reminds me of the end of the second map on the easy route of Star Fox 64.

DO A BARREL ROLL

chefbooyadee

quality posts: 38 Private Messages chefbooyadee

Where's the UFO? Those guys are never going to get a high score at this rate.

firegal51

quality posts: 1 Private Messages firegal51

As someone who works at NASA the first thing I though of when I saw this design was Columbia. I could never wear this shirt because I feel like it disrespects those who were lost. It is a clever idea, and well executed, but I just can't find humor in this design.

theraccoon

imsochady wrote:OH YES! Since the dawn of time!!! Hahah. I use Vista, and it still has one of my favs minesweeper, no more asteroids though, but it now has chess!

Clearly Asteroids is the new chess. If they'd had Asteroids back in the 70s it would have been Fischer and Spassky fighting for the Free World at an arcade cabinet, not a chess board.

happyrock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages happyrock

Yup. This is where I got my knowledge of Asteroids.

ChefRAZ

xxchange wrote:I understood maybe two words of that.

Probably Mcfly and Singing

xxchange

ChefRAZ wrote:Probably Mcfly and Singing

No. What's a Mcfly?

imsochady

xxchange wrote:No. What's a Mcfly?

It's Marty!!!

xxchange

imsochady wrote:It's Marty!!!

Now I'm very confused.

imsochady

xxchange wrote:Now I'm very confused.

Ok, what I said before probably didn't help, hahah. He's the main character from "Back to the Future." It's pretty fun watching the 3 movies back-to-back-to-back.