xxchange


quality posts: 44 Private Messages xxchange
imsochady wrote:Ok, what I said before probably didn't help, hahah. He's the main character from "Back to the Future." It's pretty fun watching the 3 movies back-to-back-to-back.



You keep referencing things I don't know! "Back to the Future" is a movie? No, a trilogy of movies? And how does this tell me what a Mcfly is?

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

theraccoon


quality posts: 5 Private Messages theraccoon
xxchange wrote:You keep referencing things I don't know! "Back to the Future" is a movie? No, a trilogy of movies? And how does this tell me what a Mcfly is?



I've been to the year 3000. Not much has changed, but they live underwater.

(true story)

xxchange


quality posts: 44 Private Messages xxchange
theraccoon wrote:I've been to the year 3000. Not much has changed, but they live underwater.

(true story)



I don't suppose you're talking about the Jonas Brothers (whom I can't stand, by the way).

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

trevorx


quality posts: 3 Private Messages trevorx

funny but really f'd up. I could see if it was like the Aluminum falcon or something.... (Robot chicken)

cak3


quality posts: 1 Private Messages cak3

Most of the asteroids seem to be saying *nom nom nom*

Or, at least they would be if they were cats. Catsteroids. Cat Steroids. I may have found a connection here.

Dagith


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dagith

BEWARE COWARD

TheCrowing


quality posts: 1 Private Messages TheCrowing

This shirt's Woot Creator info makes me want to read Ender's Game. Again and again and again.

mason4300


quality posts: 3 Private Messages mason4300

In space, no one can hear the LANGOLIERS coming for you.

groosalugg


quality posts: 4 Private Messages groosalugg


When Asteroids Strike
ongoing sale: 9255 (live in 19h 31m)
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: roblesjesse
Speed to first woot: 0m 21.823s
Last wooter to woot: groosalugg


Yeah, this shirt brings me back. Thanks to the artist for this memorial to a great time. A time when my diet consisted of pop rocks and soda, and all I was concerned with was my next game of wiffle ball...




flibbityjibbet


quality posts: 3 Private Messages flibbityjibbet

Not too sure why people are offended by this shirt.

Is it simply because it's a space ship being destroyed? Because the Columbia certainly wasn't taken down by an asteroid field.

That would be like there being a shirt depicting a guy being killed by getting hit by a car, and you being offended because you knew a guy who was murdered by a crazy guy with a pickaxe.

I'm sorry, but I don't get it. I mean, if Columbia had been pelted by asteroids, then.. yeah, I'd be offended too. But the only correlation is that they are space ships...and well.. guess what? That's part of the video game. It's a space ship. It's just drawn, in this shirt, as a realistic, modern one, because irony = funny. If it were the original "Asteroids" ship, then it would just be.. a screenshot from the game. There would be no irony in that, and therefore no humor.

If you're getting bent out of shape because of that, maybe there's a spaceship in your butt. Or an asteroid.

robio


quality posts: 41 Private Messages robio

Wow. Considering the shuttle's history, that's in really poor taste.



I just wouldn't wear it out in public!

lighthawkjm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lighthawkjm

Nostalgia, vintage videogames and "irony" (not the real type of irony but the irony that happens when people don't understand the meaning of irony... irony) always win!

Thaleia


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Thaleia

hey now, that creator info had best not be referring to Ender
1-You couldn't possibly tell which book would come "3rd"
2-Whichever one it is, I've read the 4th page....and it was brilliant

mkaegler


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mkaegler
flibbityjibbet wrote:
I'm sorry, but I don't get it. I mean, if Columbia had been pelted by asteroids, then.. yeah, I'd be offended too. But the only correlation is that they are space ships...and well.. guess what? That's part of the video game. It's a space ship. It's just drawn, in this shirt, as a realistic, modern one, because irony = funny. If it were the original "Asteroids" ship, then it would just be.. a screenshot from the game. There would be no irony in that, and therefore no humor.



If one has a closer relationship to NASA than they do the video game, what will resonate with them is seven people knowing they're going to die, and at least five of them waiting days for it to happen, in full motion video and audio in front of all of America.

Most people I know (I know science-oriented people) would see this more like a drawing of the World Trade Center being hit with wrecking ball s and people jumping from the windows.

I'm not going to question Woots right to produce them, but I'd never have considered it a good idea.

Edited to add: This isn't irony. Irony would be if the shuttle had captured a triangle/chevron ship. Consult a dictionary.

DoublEE


quality posts: 8 Private Messages DoublEE

I think is a bad choice of subject matter considering the number of lives lost in Space Shuttle tragedies over the past two decades.

DoublEE


quality posts: 8 Private Messages DoublEE

This logic has so many holes in it I don't know where to start.

No. The Space Shuttle was never "pelted by asteroids." Instead, it was pelted by other debris which caused some protective tiles to be compromised which then directly caused the entire shuttle to blow up upon reentry, killing everyone aboard tragically right before our eyes.

Hilarious. Ironic. Buy three.

Maybe next we could have an homage to the classic game Missile Command. But instead of cities we have the World Trade Center. It's OK, everyone knows those thousands of people were killed because PLANES flew into the buildings, not MISSILES.

Oh my sides hurt already just thinking about it.

flibbityjibbet wrote:Not too sure why people are offended by this shirt.

Is it simply because it's a space ship being destroyed? Because the Columbia certainly wasn't taken down by an asteroid field.

That would be like there being a shirt depicting a guy being killed by getting hit by a car, and you being offended because you knew a guy who was murdered by a crazy guy with a pickaxe.

I'm sorry, but I don't get it. I mean, if Columbia had been pelted by asteroids, then.. yeah, I'd be offended too. But the only correlation is that they are space ships...and well.. guess what? That's part of the video game. It's a space ship. It's just drawn, in this shirt, as a realistic, modern one, because irony = funny. If it were the original "Asteroids" ship, then it would just be.. a screenshot from the game. There would be no irony in that, and therefore no humor.

If you're getting bent out of shape because of that, maybe there's a spaceship in your butt. Or an asteroid.

Samanthahaha


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Samanthahaha
nbouscal wrote:That... makes me a little bit sad, to be honest. Asteroids is part of your heritage, man! You should play it at least once in your life. You should also play that super awesome downhill skiing game from Windows 3.1.



It is called Ski Free! I actually have the game still! hoho!

xxchange wrote:I never liked video games. They make me cringe. Just hearing the music is enough to send me running from the room. (also I'm a girl )



What does being a girl have to do with liking some good video games?? I like some video games! Sure, most men like more than I do, but I am only 22 and I grew up playing Asteroids on my computer!

With that being said, I can't decide if I should buy this shirt or not...hmm...

Mostly addicted to the shirts...
...my Woots so far: Fat Unicorn, Suburban Blitzkrieg, Me-Too Birds Flee a Pander Tree, Tuesday is gonna be rough, Height Envy, Off and Away, I Just Can't Reach You, The Binge, Popcorn Chicken, Clique Webcam, Sansa Fuze and Philips 5 Outlet PowerSquid!

DJLarryDan


quality posts: 4 Private Messages DJLarryDan
Josephus wrote:That must be Ender's less-talented brother floating away on the asteroid.



Nah, he froze himself on purpose, it's a battle tactic.

Poor buggers.

IamIreland


quality posts: 1 Private Messages IamIreland
nantes89 wrote:The asteroids look like deformed pac men.



I get the feeling you don't "get it".

DJLarryDan


quality posts: 4 Private Messages DJLarryDan

Two things

1. My sister used to work as an engineer for Thiokol, they make the white booster rockets.

2. At my grandmothers funeral (she was 97), I was standing with my aunt from Texas. A very old woman came up to us and started asking my aunt what relationship she was to my grandmother, etc and eventually asked where she was from. My aunt replied, " I live in Nacogdoches, Texas, you know, where the space shuttle came down". The old women says "Oh yes, it's always so nice when it comes back down". My aunt and I exchanged a look. We thought it best not to tell her that the landing in Nacogdoches was a bit rough.

flibbityjibbet


quality posts: 3 Private Messages flibbityjibbet

I had a damn thing typed up, but I got a server error, with the cat. When I get home from work in like a half hour, I'll retype it, to the best of my ability.

Good topic.

edz321


quality posts: 5 Private Messages edz321

Is that the Zaxxon shuttle?

thatrobert


quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
Thaleia wrote:hey now, that creator info had best not be referring to Ender
1-You couldn't possibly tell which book would come "3rd"
2-Whichever one it is, I've read the 4th page....and it was brilliant



They must mean the one where Peter comes back from the dead and hooks up with the OCD chick. That really did suck.

Though the OCD religion idea was pretty cool.

evorgsumaf


quality posts: 0 Private Messages evorgsumaf

"...the old women says "Oh yes, it's always so nice when it comes back down". My aunt and I exchanged a look. We thought it best not to tell her that the landing in Nacogdoches was a bit rough."

Best to leave this one alone.

GenesisFan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages GenesisFan

I love the 80s, but this is in very poor taste & immediately made me sad. How quickly we've forgotten Columbia. Whoever designed this should be ashamed.

APerfectC


quality posts: 2 Private Messages APerfectC
xxchange wrote:I don't suppose you're talking about the Jonas Brothers (whom I can't stand, by the way).



Really??? No, I assure you that THAT is not what was referenced there...

No me tengas miedo, no te voy a comer

cynvision


quality posts: 1 Private Messages cynvision

Gosh, I miss the arcade Asteroids game we repaired and kept in the garage.

Someone says the asteroids broke when it hit the ship. Admittedly, it's been a long time since I played, but I don't think so... why else did we have to shoot them to bits with little white bolts of light? Maybe the Atari version was different than the coin-op? Or, Atari had an 'super easy' setting?

jmacik


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmacik

hoho, Love the Bowie reference!

anodynepariah


quality posts: 1 Private Messages anodynepariah
ViperEagle wrote:Watch yourself shirt.woot artist bio writer person! If you are alluding to the Enderverse series, we may have to have a fight to the death! ...or at least solve our differences via dance off. Choose wisely!



I'm with you, ViperEagle. The enemy's gate is down.

flibbityjibbet


quality posts: 3 Private Messages flibbityjibbet
mkaegler wrote:



First off, let me thank you for your advice to consult a dictionary. I would just like to say that I appreciate how you did so, while completely avoiding looking pretentious. :P

Secondly, I need to take the time to just tell you how you are either missing my point completely, or are just not getting it.

The ONLY similarity between this shirt and the Columbia tragedy, is that they both involved shuttles. What else would you use for this? A tricycle? Why was that floating in space? *shrugs*

What if there was a shirt one day which showed a car crashed into a tree. What would your reaction to that shirt be if, all of a sudden, hoards of Dale Earnhardt fans came out of the woodworks, wagging their fingers at Woot?

"...It's.. a tree.."

"I DON'T CARE! IT'S A CAR! AND SOMEONE DIED! I AM OFFENDED!"

That doesn't sound like a bit of a stretch to you? Completely different situations. Is the shirt in poor taste, simply because people have died in car wrecks? I think not.

What about that one shirt in the derby, depicting a clogged artery? My grandpa had a heart attack, and died.. REJECT THAT SHIRT!!! No? Why not? Because offense is not intended. That shirt, if it wins, would hit a LOT closer to home, and rightfully so, than today's shirt does. That shirt would print, despite the millions of people who have died from heart issues over the years! How is that any better than this pseudo-issue involving today's shirt?

If a murderer played GTA or Doom all the time, should those games be pulled from the shelves. Really? Are you one of those people?

Look.. if you are a person who has lost someone as a result of a meteor or asteroid, then you have EVERY right to complain about this. The shirt won't (and shouldn't) be pulled, but I am sorry for your loss, because I know I would be hurting if I saw that shirt, if I were you.

However, if you know an astronaut who died, some other way.. don't get me wrong, I'm sorry for your loss, because that was a dark day in history, but pertaining to this shirt...get over it!

Consult a proctologist. :P

GenesisFan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages GenesisFan

I lost a family member in a NASA accident, so no...I dont find this funny at all. It doesnt matter what it's being hit with, the point is that making a space shuttle (full of people) breaking up in space is in very poor taste. There are some things that really arent to be toyed with because they are major American tragedies. I get the humor they're trying to convey in this shirt, but it's just not funny.

mspaeth


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mspaeth
cynvision wrote:
Someone says the asteroids broke when it hit the ship. Admittedly, it's been a long time since I played, but I don't think so...



I have (I think) 4 asteroids machines right now (and an asteroids deluxe... and 2 space duels), so I can definitively say the rocks don't break when they hit the ship in Asteroids

I'd definitely be in for one of these shirts if the rocks were all drawn to look like the ACTUAL rocks used in the game, but I'd catch too much apcray from other collectors if I wore such a poorly rendered shirt

flibbityjibbet


quality posts: 3 Private Messages flibbityjibbet
DoublEE wrote:This logic has so many holes in it I don't know where to start.

No. The Space Shuttle was never "pelted by asteroids." Instead, it was pelted by other debris which caused some protective tiles to be compromised which then directly caused the entire shuttle to blow up upon reentry, killing everyone aboard tragically right before our eyes.

Hilarious. Ironic. Buy three.

Maybe next we could have an homage to the classic game Missile Command. But instead of cities we have the World Trade Center. It's OK, everyone knows those thousands of people were killed because PLANES flew into the buildings, not MISSILES.

Oh my sides hurt already just thinking about it.



"No. The Space Shuttle was never "pelted by asteroids." Instead, it was pelted by other debris which caused some protective tiles to be compromised which then directly caused the entire shuttle to blow up upon reentry, killing everyone aboard tragically right before our eyes."

....Exactly. You have just proven my point. I know that's not what you were going for, but hey. You hit the nail on the head. Different situations, dude. Yeah, it was a tragedy, but.. it's unrelated.

"Hilarious. Ironic. Buy three."

..Well..yeah.. if THAT'S the reason you are buying the shirt, then you have problems. But if you are ACTUALLY trying to tell me the following formula:

Buyer of today's Shirt.Woot = A person who finds the Columbia tragedy funny

Then you need to check for holes in your own logic, because I'm pretty sure you are hovering around the "swiss cheese", "peg board" area.

"But instead of cities we have the World Trade Center."

lol.. You feel better, after squeezing that turd out? That "argument" (I use that term RATHER loosely) MIGHT hold a few drops of water, if the Columbia had been the only space shuttle ever built. There was only one set of twin towers. They would be recognized, if parodied.

In this case, it's a random space shuttle. If the shuttle had said "Columbia" on it, then I would not have taken the side in this debate that I took. But let's face it.. if there had been any references to Columbia, whatsoever, Woot WOULD NOT HAVE ALLOWED THE SHIRT TO PRINT. Mark my words.

Your idea for "missile command" is stupid. The only way you could make that analogy the same as this situation, is if you made the cities look more like actual cities, rather than little pixelated skylines.

You guys are making it seem like Columbia was the ONLY damn shuttle ever flown! How dare ANY of you morons compare it to the freakin' WORLD TRADE CENTER?! No other two buildings could be mistaken for the Twin Towers. If they were in the picture, it would OBVIOUSLY be completely unacceptable.

Shuttles have been built over and over again, and the one in the shirt is OBVIOUSLY not a parody of the Columbia. It's just your standard space shuttle! They all pretty much look the same, more or less.

I'll say it one more time, you deserve a kick in your ass if you compare this to the damn World Trade Center. Seriously - take your keyboard, and pawn it. You don't need it, anymore.

njbeck


quality posts: 0 Private Messages njbeck

Anyone offended by this shirt was LOOKING to be offended. It's ridiculous.

If you are offended that easily then you should never give a child a toy car/shuttle/boat because they're going to do 2 things with it. Race them, and wreck them.

It's a funny shirt. It's a play off the videogame. Anyone looking deeper into that needs to get off the internet, because to them it's going to be a very offensive place.

njbeck


quality posts: 0 Private Messages njbeck
GenesisFan wrote:I lost a family member in a NASA accident, so no...I dont find this funny at all. It doesnt matter what it's being hit with, the point is that making a space shuttle (full of people) breaking up in space is in very poor taste. There are some things that really arent to be toyed with because they are major American tragedies. I get the humor they're trying to convey in this shirt, but it's just not funny.



Is this a serious post? Please tell me this is a joke post... A play off a videogame represents a major american tragedy???
You're the same guy who wants to sue video game companies when bad parents let their children get guns and go nuts at school.

dekonstruct


quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct

If I had not met my quota I would get one, because not only is it a funny reference, and a good design, it is also a reminder that our lives are but a spark in the great cosmic fire.

GenesisFan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages GenesisFan
njbeck wrote:Is this a serious post? Please tell me this is a joke post... A play off a videogame represents a major american tragedy???
You're the same guy who wants to sue video game companies when bad parents let their children get guns and go nuts at school.



Since quite a few of us saw the same thing, it's not a fluke. And no, I am not easily offended...quite the opposite. Bottom line, I get the point this shirt was trying to make. But sorry...it's just not funny, it's in poor taste. I fully understand it doesnt have Columbia written on the side, but it doesnt matter. To make ANY shuttle breaking up in space is just wrong. For this many of us to think of that right away means it's a little too similar.

bradenmcg


quality posts: 8 Private Messages bradenmcg

This should've been on a gray/asphalt shirt. "Back in the day," TVs didn't have anywhere near this sort of black level - your "black" TV ended up having a white halo around the edges... and it wasn't really black, it ended up being a very dark gray.

jcpfitz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcpfitz
TheCrowing wrote:This shirt's Woot Creator info makes me want to read Ender's Game. Again and again and again.



Just not Xenocide. :-)

gargrazz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gargrazz
xxchange wrote:You keep referencing things I don't know! "Back to the Future" is a movie? No, a trilogy of movies? And how does this tell me what a Mcfly is?



I'm sure you're young enough to know what Google and Wikipedia are.