JadenKale

quality posts: 186 Private Messages JadenKale
Re: b-INK-drop.

Bink, don't get discouraged. The derby is a fickle woman. Some weeks you can ride up in the fog, and the next be near the bottom of the charts. And then the following week make it somewhere in the middle. Take it from any of us who have been printed in a derby (and don't seem to be weekly favorites). I have my own fanbase, and you will too as you enter more, but it's so much more than that.

My advice is to be willing to push your limits, even at the sake of ending up near the bottom of the derby. To me, willing to try new things and testing your limits makes you a million times better artist than one who relies week to week on gimmicks or the same old safe entry.

Look at people like Artulo. He entered and entered and entered, always not quite hitting the mark with the crowd but producing some wonderful designs. He was printed twice at DBH, and Uneetee before woot printed him as an Editor's Choice. He hasn't printed from a derby yet, and he's quite possibly one of the strongest artists here.

Do what you like and push yourself outside your comfort zone every once in a while to see what else you're capable of. You'll be pleasantly surprised. As it is, I think 14th for Ink Me Up, Buttercup is definitely HM worthy.

estaff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages estaff

I would love to have 1/6th of the votes your other design has.

NathanWind

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NathanWind
Re: Nerd Life

MC Router has something very similar tattooed on her knuckles. The difference being that she has g33klif3 instead of n3rdlife.

Link to Wired post

kateweb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kateweb
Re: Firebird away

can you resub this on the dark blue , for some reason I see my self in a darker blue shifted with the phoenix

OHFireRescue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages OHFireRescue
Re: Thug Life On All Fours

Sorry Woot. You're wrong AND you're not old fashioned just uptight. Older people (like me)know that some words, generally deemed as profane can be used in an acceptable and appropriate manner. If this had been displayed as being on anythibg other than a dog you would have been right. But, you're not.

A bandolier of carrots would be appreciated about now

JadenKale

quality posts: 186 Private Messages JadenKale
fivedoorsvt wrote:Well, even though i've never seen that other shirt before, pleading ignorance is a poor excuse. But I stand by my illustration. I think the concept of a knuckle tattoo is a valid entry in this particular derby. I think my illustration is significantly different from the one a few posts up. The graphic style is different, the line weight is different, the fingers are different.

It will be up to the Wootinental Congress to make the final call. I won't have any hard feelings about it, it's their contest.

On the other hand...my design has been on a steady rise, from no votes to the top 20 in less than 24 hours. I don't think it means I'm going to pull out a victory here, but to reject a design that seems to have good community support based on a passing resembelance to a design from days gone by seems kind of silly.

I'm at their mercy. Oh merciful Woot lords, pray you have pity on this poor designer!

I've seen a great many designs that go from 0 to top 20 after a late submission (some of my own included). Community support means little if woot decides it is too close to a design they have already printed. Ignorance or no, they have repeatedly rejected designs for being too close to others they've printed. It doesn't matter if you are new to the forums/derby or if you've been here since its inception, the rules apply to all.

Now, does that mean that it will automatically be removed? no. Woot has done far more ludicrous things, such as print designs that have Star Wars references in them (which, if you are not aware, designs at a wide variety of shirt competition sites have removed those prints due to a George Lucas letter that went out - if I am not mistaken. But this did happen at Threadless with a couple particularly popular designs.), rejected designs for there being too many flying penguins, turn around and refuse to reject entries that barely are on theme, and other such craziness.

Quite frankly, I feel your design is lacking in overall presence. I think that's what annoys me most about your piece. As it currently stands, it seems like adding certain details was considered too difficult or you felt that you did an awesome job and left it as is. You went with a small area to work with. You could have very easily taken this to a whole other level:
Show a geek at a desk typing. Showing it from the perspective of if you were taking a photo at the level of the keyboard, up to the geek. His fingers could have been large and shown N3RDLIF3 on them (which, btw, I would have continued the 3 for the 2nd 'E'). You could have had him wearing glasses with heavy monitor reflections in them and a bit of WoW drool escaping his bottom, slack jawed lip. You wouldn't have had to go beyond the site-line of the keyboard and the design would have been rather substantial on the shirt.

I guess, for me, it's the difference between an 'okay' design that doesn't grab my interest (believe me, the fact it looked like Milk and Cookies and the debate in the thread grabbed my interest more.) and a 'I may not wear it, but I like the unconventional take on the theme'.

kateweb

you should resub with a new word thats fits I still think it is cool shirt but "Mitchell " fit

camoor

quality posts: 1 Private Messages camoor
Re: sorry roger, You tiger now!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=It0ozA0dXQY

carrielora

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carrielora
Re: The Tattitudes

I love the band! They really look into their music. The characters and colors really look great, especially on the orange t-shirt. I especially love how crazy the octopus looks with all his tattoos. I like how the turtle's tattoos are coming up from his shell. Great job!

kateweb

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

binkdrop, I like both of these designs, but of the two, I would have liked to have come up with the second one. The color is great, and the feeling hinted by the woman's position is a nice touch. very nice.

kateweb

Mavyn wrote:Makes me think of this girl.

I dont know if that is a good or a bad thing but I have in 156th place so it's not going to hurt all tat mutch.

Josephus

starck wrote:Cute! I really like this design. GMV

thanks, much appreciated

eHalcyon wrote:That looks spectacular, Dr. Joe. You do some of the best animal sketches around here.

thanks, eHal

spilzer wrote:I love the glint in the bird's eye, it makes him look like he's actively eluding those wily humans who want to copy his beautiful markings.

the look was kind of tricky to do, really- they aren't really predators, so their eyes are on the sides of their heads instead of front.

MarianDallas wrote:Go kiwi go! I must have this shirt.

we can hope!

supersonic213

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supersonic213
kylemittskus wrote:The fact that he's in so much pain makes it that much funnier! Tattoos don't feel good, but it's a care bear rite of passage.

I just thought it would have crossed crossed into sheer hilarity if he had a goofy, evil grin the whole time. A little "MUAHAHAAAAAAAA", if you will. ^_^

Love this guy's entries. Something crazy every week for my enjoyment.

The guys at the new SONIC drive-in told me to have a supersonic day. And I did!

ithoughti

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ithoughti
JadenKale wrote:I've seen a great many designs that go from 0 to top 20 after a late submission (some of my own included). Community support means little if woot decides it is too close to a design they have already printed. Ignorance or no, they have repeatedly rejected designs for being too close to others they've printed. It doesn't matter if you are new to the forums/derby or if you've been here since its inception, the rules apply to all.

Now, does that mean that it will automatically be removed? no. Woot has done far more ludicrous things, such as print designs that have Star Wars references in them (which, if you are not aware, designs at a wide variety of shirt competition sites have removed those prints due to a George Lucas letter that went out - if I am not mistaken. But this did happen at Threadless with a couple particularly popular designs.), rejected designs for there being too many flying penguins, turn around and refuse to reject entries that barely are on theme, and other such craziness.

Quite frankly, I feel your design is lacking in overall presence. I think that's what annoys me most about your piece. As it currently stands, it seems like adding certain details was considered too difficult or you felt that you did an awesome job and left it as is. You went with a small area to work with. You could have very easily taken this to a whole other level:
Show a geek at a desk typing. Showing it from the perspective of if you were taking a photo at the level of the keyboard, up to the geek. His fingers could have been large and shown N3RDLIF3 on them (which, btw, I would have continued the 3 for the 2nd 'E'). You could have had him wearing glasses with heavy monitor reflections in them and a bit of WoW drool escaping his bottom, slack jawed lip. You wouldn't have had to go beyond the site-line of the keyboard and the design would have been rather substantial on the shirt.

I guess, for me, it's the difference between an 'okay' design that doesn't grab my interest (believe me, the fact it looked like Milk and Cookies and the debate in the thread grabbed my interest more.) and a 'I may not wear it, but I like the unconventional take on the theme'.

wow, shirt design = serious business.

Your 'ideas' are way over the top. There's somethign to be said for K.I.S.S - Keep It Simple Stupid.

apeman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages apeman
Re: Eagle Wings (On Back)

Just a nice set of wings on a nice colored shirt. Votes, comments and feedback are always welcome, thanks for looking!

apeman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages apeman
stargirl6878 wrote:i would vote for this if the colors werent so bright...

maybe some muted colors? blacks and browns?

yeah i was a little worried about that,I'm gonna keep messing around with the colors to see if i can find a little more mellow feel, thanks for the feedback!

thefrogbubble

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thefrogbubble

I really like the pale colors and the overall idea, just not the black background. it doesn't seem to fit the rest. maybe something white or tan would work better.

Re: henna hands

Josephus

Josephus wrote:we can hope!

wow! for a minute, in the fog! thanks!

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
ithoughti wrote:wow, shirt design = serious business.

Your 'ideas' are way over the top. There's somethign to be said for K.I.S.S - Keep It Simple Stupid.

When at least a cool grand is on the line, yeah, it's "serious business". Granted, it's only a t-shirt. But still $1000 plus $2/shirt after the first day is serious cash.

I will definitely agree with you that "keep it simple, stupid" works many times, and overdoing a piece can have detrimental effects. But, in this specific case, I don't think any of Jaden's ideas are really over the top.

As it's presented, the "simple" two forward facing hands design with letters is not new or original, so there needs to be something more. A bit of additional substance - like the fingers typing on a keyboard, while making pseudo-gang signs. That would still be a "simple" design, but offer much more commentary than already exists. An added bonus would make the design significantly different enough to ward off the wrath of the rejector.

LBNSean

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LBNSean
LBNSean wrote:of course of course

when Woot has its Silly Whale Derby I will most definitely submit this :D

Silly girl, make sure I am not logged in on my account before you reply using my laptop!

EmptyPromises

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EmptyPromises
Re: The elusive TaMoko Kiwi

This is a shirt I would want.

I am not just saying that...

octopai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages octopai
LBNSean wrote:Silly girl, make sure I am not logged in on my account before you reply using my laptop!

doh...
i am an airhead

also, 40 votes! Not bad!

EmptyPromises

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EmptyPromises
Re: Hellwaii

My gosh, that woman it completely topless!!!

stargirl6878

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stargirl6878
Re: Aces

thanks i didnt know that...

octopai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages octopai
Re: Surfer Pirate tat

pretty surprised this doesn't have more votes!

very nice design and love the colors! kudos to you for being awesome.

spilzer

quality posts: 121 Private Messages spilzer
Re: One bad moth, er...

I saw your band t-shirt first and loved the worm's tattoo then. I'm glad I've seen this one and now have the back story. Nice work.

mitchellp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp
Re: The elusive TaMoko Kiwi

Get out of my fog you stupid kiwi! Come on Hanauma Bay!

mitchellp

This is awesome!

mitchellp

Re: Yeah, thats what it really says.

This is awesome!

mitchellp

Re: Hanauma Bay

This is awesome!

mitchellp

Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=33835]Skull

This is awesome!

mitchellp

Re: I Heart Your Mom

This is awesome!

kinzoku

quality posts: 18 Private Messages kinzoku
Re: friends

Defogged? Dang. I hope you catch up before voting ends.

JustJiggles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JustJiggles

You're old fashioned.

KIDA26

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KIDA26

Thees needs moar votes!! I want it.

JuicyJ

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JuicyJ
WeezTheJuice wrote:Honestly I liked the first mockup better. For some reason I now see the girl figure as being disturbingly young, whereas I didn't get that feel before.

This could be the combination of not seeing her face and the head being slightly too large for idealized proportions. I do know of plenty of artist who increase the size of the head of a woman to make her seem more youthful/playful. If you look at Michelangelo's David the proportions are not all idealized.

In any case, she has a cute little figure. We could probably answer this question better if she just turned around, right?

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx
eHalcyon wrote:I think I do recall some disappointed comments regarding loss of detail on Treacherous Waters, but I'm not sure. If it does print, I'll be interested in seeing how it turns out.

Thanks for the comments and support as always guys. I used similar blues on the Clockwork Dinosaurs shirt, which still came out visible, and printed quite nicely.

binkdrop

quality posts: 8 Private Messages binkdrop
GwenMarie wrote:I just wanted to let you know that I absolutely LOVE this shirt, and would totally wear it all the time. Of course, I am a girl with tats...

Glad to hear it GwenMarie! I don't have any tattoos but I bet it's a pretty neat image - a girl with real tattoos wearing a shirt of someone else who also has tattoos. When people have tattoos I always want to take the time to stop and look at them all, but I know that's usually incredibly awkward for the other person. If you're going to wear art on your body though, it seems like you should be totally okay with people wanting to look at it for a while. :d

homesluice

quality posts: 0 Private Messages homesluice
Re: Oriental Dragon Tattoo

brutal; this is only 39th? only 94 votes?
mmm this isn't the only one getting the shaft either =\