tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

thatrobert wrote:

• Congratulations on winning a Best Loser Award!
  • This is not SPAM.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.
  • Do not taunt happy fun ball.

Thanks TR!

pumbaa57

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pumbaa57

I think a lot of the angry, self-righteous yelling around here right now is kind of a joke. Some of the greatest and most creative designs I've seen (be it in classic artistic forms or on a stupid t-shirt) are plays on, or even borrow from, other images. In the instant case, the design tends to be a pleasing one, with the dragon emerging from the gun, and with the fire coming from it's snout with a glow reflecting off its skin.

If it is not an illegal use of an image, I think it is legit, and everyone saying that "people work really hard blah blah blah" should consider that the derby isn't a contest about "who works the hardest" or even "who deserves it most" (whatever the hell that would mean), it's about who makes the most aesthetically pleasing design with regard to the theme. In this case (again, assuming there is no illegal use of an image), tikiti has clearly put him/herself in a position to have the shirt printed.

there's nothing douchier than a signature that lists all the junk you've bought. NOBODY CARES.

tgentry

Staff

While shirts that have used clip art have printed in the past, the designer here may have an obstacle to overcome in that the terms of use appear as though they are in Chinese (?) and therefore not readily accessible to the woot staff for review. Had the designer presented this earlier it may have given woot some time to weigh their options. I'll be interested to see what they do with such a short time frame to make a judgment call.

tgentry

Staff

Re: Weapon of mass disruption

While shirts that have used clip art have printed in the past, the designer here may have an obstacle to overcome in that the terms of use appear as though they are in Chinese (?) and therefore not readily accessible to the woot staff for review. Had the designer presented this earlier it may have given woot some time to weigh their options. I'll be interested to see what they do with such a short time frame to make a judgment call.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
pumbaa57 wrote:I think a lot of the angry, self-righteous yelling around here right now is kind of a joke. Some of the greatest and most creative designs I've seen (be it in classic artistic forms or on a stupid t-shirt) are plays on, or even borrow from, other images. In the instant case, the design tends to be a pleasing one, with the dragon emerging from the gun, and with the fire coming from it's snout with a glow reflecting off its skin.

If it is not an illegal use of an image, I think it is legit, and everyone saying that "people work really hard blah blah blah" should consider that the derby isn't a contest about "who works the hardest" or even "who deserves it most" (whatever the hell that would mean), it's about who makes the most aesthetically pleasing design with regard to the theme. In this case (again, assuming there is no illegal use of an image), tikiti has clearly put him/herself in a position to have the shirt printed.

So you are saying that "some of the most original work I've seen is unoriginal"

Hakai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hakai
Re: The Living Canvas

DO WANT

this is so full of win

maddjackyl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maddjackyl

as a butcher, your diagram is very incorrect. Since when do you buy Lamb breast? Turkey maybe... Rib, loin, shank, etc.

Good concept though!!

pumbaa57

AdderXYU wrote:So you are saying that "some of the most original work I've seen is unoriginal"

Nope, that's not what I said. That's all you got out of my rant, huh?

In fact, I didn't say anything about originality at all. Come to think of it, wasn't the whole point of my post "originality is overrated"?

there's nothing douchier than a signature that lists all the junk you've bought. NOBODY CARES.

chade2001

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chade2001
pumbaa57 wrote:I think a lot of the angry, self-righteous yelling around here right now is kind of a joke. Some of the greatest and most creative designs I've seen (be it in classic artistic forms or on a stupid t-shirt) are plays on, or even borrow from, other images. In the instant case, the design tends to be a pleasing one, with the dragon emerging from the gun, and with the fire coming from it's snout with a glow reflecting off its skin.

Here's a tasty analogy. I see works done with vector packs like those pre-made frozen pizzas sold at the grocery store. Works that were born out of sheer creativity and originality are the pizzas made in them so-called authentic Italian gourmet restaurants. The rest are Dominos/Pizza Hut/What have you. If one was given the choice which pizza to eat, like all that person has gotta do is sit and point at the pizza they want, there would be something seriously wrong if that person chooses that frozen pizza.

gone!

pumbaa57

chade2001 wrote:Here's a tasty analogy. I see works done with vector packs like those pre-made frozen pizzas sold at the grocery store. Works that were born out of sheer creativity and originality are the pizzas made in them so-called authentic Italian gourmet restaurants. The rest are Dominos/Pizza Hut/What have you. If one was given the choice which pizza to eat, like all that person has gotta do is sit and point at the pizza they want, there would be something seriously wrong if that person chooses that frozen pizza.

Tasty, but not on point.

But now I want pizza...

chade2001

pumbaa57 wrote:Tasty, but not on point.

But now I want pizza...

Well, this was your point, "...it's about who makes the most aesthetically pleasing design with regard to the theme." So like I said, in this derby, you are presented with this vector-packed work along with other original works that are also as pleasing, and you're telling me you're still gonna choose this frozen pizza? Daym dude, you might wanna live it up and go for the good stuff.

gone!

pumbaa57

chade2001 wrote:Well, this was your point, "...it's about who makes the most aesthetically pleasing design with regard to the theme." So like I said, in this derby, you are presented with this vector-packed work along with other original works that are also as pleasing, and you're telling me you're still gonna choose this frozen pizza? Daym dude, you might wanna live it up and go for the good stuff.

How did I get so involved in all this? I really don't even care who wins the derby! I don't think I'd buy any of these shirts anyways.

Man, I talk too much.

spongecake

quality posts: 5 Private Messages spongecake

re: Wisdom & Courage

I really like the strength and cohesiveness of your drawing. And it is good to see the incorporation of the uplifting words in your design. It helps to balance things out a bit around here.

chade2001

pumbaa57 wrote:

Man, I talk too much.

Hah! EVERYONE gets sucked in! Hahah. I am actually eating frozen pizza right now, just wished it was gourmet .

gone!

imsochady

quality posts: 30 Private Messages imsochady
pumbaa57 wrote:Tasty, but not on point.

But now I want pizza...

Mmmmmm pizza! I went to Italy once and had the best dang pizzas ever. And some restaurants sell it by weight too. The meat and other toppings were in chunk-size, like half a tomato was on mine, hahah. Couple that with a bottle of wine, plus music and sunset, and it's friggin' heaven!!!

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
spongecake wrote:re: Wisdom & Courage

I really like the strength and cohesiveness of your drawing. And it is good to see the incorporation of the uplifting words in your design. It helps to balance things out a bit around here.

heheh if that ain't the truth.... ;)

Thanks, spongecake.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
chade2001 wrote:Here's a tasty analogy. I see works done with vector packs like those pre-made frozen pizzas sold at the grocery store. Works that were born out of sheer creativity and originality are the pizzas made in them so-called authentic Italian gourmet restaurants. The rest are Dominos/Pizza Hut/What have you. If one was given the choice which pizza to eat, like all that person has gotta do is sit and point at the pizza they want, there would be something seriously wrong if that person chooses that frozen pizza.

People love using the idea that you (read: person complaining about stock vectors) can't make the same piece, so it's creative. Except you CAN, just like if I buy a set of legos, I can build the same exact things someone else with that set built. I'm still impressed when people can create real art with the bricks instead of following the instructions, but by that point, the bricks stop being bricks and start being one big mass. Vector art never really becomes a mass, as evidenced by how a HUGE CHUNK OF THE DESIGN IN QUESTION is recognizable from its original form. Could I do this entry? No. Because I don't have his clip-art. But I'm sure someone else with his clip-art could in a second. You need to do SERIOUS collaging for that to become unique.

It's like a canned pasta sauce. if you toss Ragu with a box of boiled pasta, you are not a cook. People might enjoy it, but you can't hock that at any reputable place for sale. It's not yours. You can alter that jar of sauce, though. You can add some meat and some garlic and some fresh herbs and some cheese and make it a base ingredient that is not recognizable. But if it is still recognizable, you didn't create anything. It's like if I took a poster of the mona lisa and a poster of the scream, taped them together edge to edge, and framed them saying I created a new piece of art entitled "Mona frightens the scaffolding out of some dude".

spongecake

quality posts: 5 Private Messages spongecake
jasneko wrote:
So... this design really didn't seem to do so well. Anyone have any feedback on it? Is it confusing/unclear?

Too late to really help you for this derby ... but ... hmmm ... maybe ... maybe ... the thought bubble needs to be outlined with dots, not the solid line. It is supposed to be a thought, not speech, right? Or, am I confused about this?

I do like the sweet, endearing quality here, btw.

sarahjean1977

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sarahjean1977
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=33804]Wisdom

looks good

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Re: The elusive TaMoko Kiwi

Come to New Zealand! A place of 6 species of kiwi, and amazing geography! A land filled with lost dinosaurs, Loch Monsters, Big Feet, Chupacabras, Yeti, Gigantic Sharks, and lots and lots of touristy Australians! and Germans! This is the place the Easter Islanders disappeared to! There are actual Hobbits and Orcs here! Their team vacation here inspired the '69 Mets!
Under the sea, between New Zealand and Australia, is the vanished city of Atlantis!

Your ticket to the insider's New Zealand, is, of course, a Ta Moko Kiwi shirt! So vote! Vote like there's no tomorrow! For the Kiwi, there IS no tomorrow!

perryn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages perryn

back in it's rightful place in the fog.

barrooze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barrooze

This was the design I was thinking of... You did much better than what I could do though. Nice job!

faultylogic83

quality posts: 2 Private Messages faultylogic83

I don't get the vote system, I don't really see any of the fog shirts lasting longer then the their first week. However I see this as have some strong potental in the top 20. Come on Editor's choice give us this awesome option.

GMV

wyndhamheart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wyndhamheart

I love that movie! Cute shirt!

SamirNagheenanajar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SamirNagheenanajar
Re: Yeah, thats what it really says.

I think these word balloons are executed in a professional and stylish fashion. Top quality of thought and design.

No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right.
It's not that hard: Na-gheen-an-a-jar. Nagheenanajar.

tgentry

Staff

Re: Yeah, thats what it really says.

I really love this idea, but I kind of agree about the execution. The text could be better, but my main issue is with the pose and perspective of the robot on the right. His body is facing away from the robot he's tattooing and looking at his chair he seems like he's behind the other one (further away from the viewer). It almost feels Escheresque. I think turning him inwards so he faces the viewer and uses his right hand instead might have worked better as far as staging goes.

The idea made me laugh though, it reminds me of watching Miami Ink, listening to some vapid airheads explain the deep meaning behind their butterfly tattoos.

cleverconveyence

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cleverconveyence
re: yeah, thats what it really says.

Step 1: make the robot that is being tattooed human.
Step 2: Shorten bubbles to "This says 'serenity,' right?" "Right..."*
Step 3: Make the text+bubbles not look laugh-inducingly bad.

*you could even omit the second bubble altogether!

Number of shirt.woots in 08: 23 (not counting randoms and shirts bought for friends)
number of shirt.woots in 09: 2 (same criteria)

peelandwin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peelandwin
Re: i pwn newbs

Man, that is a seriously cool shirt. I want one and so does my wife!

L3g3ndQ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ
Re: friends

if this doesn't print im calling it quits for shirt.woot... at least till they make kidshirt.woot so then all these dumb lil kiddie shirts can go there and make all the moms happy. gaw i don't see how the robots are beating this one same goes for the k mart dragon, and the kids R Us kiwi B^(

sorry im just sick of all the cute carp that is being printed on this sight, and reading all the moms comment on how cute it will look on their lil spawn B^( bleh

p.s. the dragon and kiwi do look good don't get me wrong but kiwi is just the new flying penguin and the dragon is so over used

ChaosFox0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChaosFox0
Re: B-Dawg

Thank you, everyone who voted for me! Means a lot, all 20 some of ya. Now, just convince everyone else to do the same! Hehe

dankstick

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dankstick
eHalcyon wrote:Judging from your join date and blank box, I suppose this is a fake account to shield you from shame and scorn?

I can respect the use of special brushes and vectors as long as
1. it's legal
2. real work has been done instead of just slapping the purchased/downloaded stuff onto a shirt template
3. the artist admits it right away without being "busted"

Tikiti, are you radiomode?

dankstick

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dankstick
supersonic213 wrote:I just thought it would have crossed crossed into sheer hilarity if he had a goofy, evil grin the whole time. A little "MUAHAHAAAAAAAA", if you will. ^_^

Love this guy's entries. Something crazy every week for my enjoyment.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
dankstick wrote:Tikiti, are you radiomode?

You're not the only one who thought this.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
spongecake wrote:Too late to really help you for this derby ... but ... hmmm ... maybe ... maybe ... the thought bubble needs to be outlined with dots, not the solid line. It is supposed to be a thought, not speech, right? Or, am I confused about this?

I do like the sweet, endearing quality here, btw.

Thanks for the feedback! Actually it was meant to be speech, not thought... that they are talking about the tattoos they want to get, and each are getting a tattoo that compensates for their looks. But it's not terrible if you think they were thinking instead of talking, the same concept applies.

And thanks for the nice comment - 'sweet and endearing quality' - is great to see!

Vote!

BootsBoots

quality posts: 38 Private Messages BootsBoots
Re: Gift of Ink - Color

Missed this one before. It's lovely.

DrPepperSpray

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DrPepperSpray
zekecatz wrote:Wasn't it spelled Tyme?

Given the banner color I suppose that would have been more appropriate.

IamIreland

quality posts: 1 Private Messages IamIreland
Re: ACES

A little vague as far as being tat-related, but more wearable than most of the top-rated shirts.

IamIreland

JadenKale wrote:Because how many tattoo-related derbies have you been privy to?

Besides, even if that was the case, they could have done the knuckle tats in some other way that didn't look EXACTLY like the other depiction.

He wasn't implying there have been other tattoo-related derbies. It's a manner of speaking.

And you don't seem to understand the word 'exactly'.

homesluice

quality posts: 0 Private Messages homesluice
AdderXYU wrote:People love using the idea that you (read: person complaining about stock vectors) can't make the same piece, so it's creative. Except you CAN, just like if I buy a set of legos, I can build the same exact things someone else with that set built. I'm still impressed when people can create real art with the bricks instead of following the instructions, but by that point, the bricks stop being bricks and start being one big mass. Vector art never really becomes a mass, as evidenced by how a HUGE CHUNK OF THE DESIGN IN QUESTION is recognizable from its original form. Could I do this entry? No. Because I don't have his clip-art. But I'm sure someone else with his clip-art could in a second. You need to do SERIOUS collaging for that to become unique.

It's like a canned pasta sauce. if you toss Ragu with a box of boiled pasta, you are not a cook. People might enjoy it, but you can't hock that at any reputable place for sale. It's not yours. You can alter that jar of sauce, though. You can add some meat and some garlic and some fresh herbs and some cheese and make it a base ingredient that is not recognizable. But if it is still recognizable, you didn't create anything. It's like if I took a poster of the mona lisa and a poster of the scream, taped them together edge to edge, and framed them saying I created a new piece of art entitled "Mona frightens the scaffolding out of some dude".

His complaints probably stem from the fact that he's not an artist. But neither is Tikiti. People that don't draw on a regular basis assume that it's 'so' easy to draw if you have the 'knack' for it. They don't realize the hours of debating what colors to use, how to position this arm, what stance this person should have, and this and that are very time consuming and stressful. So they pull this stunt where they violate ethics of artists, not knowing they hurt people who put work into it; but generally knowing they are violating rules that anyone can see are implied (because if this many people are upset, you can't possibly be 100% right; and there probably ARE ethically wrong things about doing what you're doing Tikiti).

This is why we have warnings on peanuts that say 'warning: may contain nuts' because if you don't tell these guys, they'll act like they never knew and sue. Or just take advantage of people in general.

I know woot is out to make a dime, but I think (and hope) they know that even winning designs don't always sell as well as the second and third best designs in the long run in the reckoning. And I'd hope they would reject this design or at the very least recognize this problem on the boards before they start printing.

IamIreland

C'mon people! This is way better than most of the leading shirts. Putting a picture of a person with a tattoo on a shirt is NOT what this should be about... is it? I guess the fans will decide.