Chaosegg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Chaosegg
binkdrop wrote:Reminds me a little bit of Disney's Treasure Planet. : )

Yeah, why aren't there cannons if it's a corsair with a pirate flag? ;)

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Nerd Camp

Adorable, once again!: )

bloczyns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bloczyns
Re: Whoo Are You? (on Brown)

Jaden, I really love this design. Good luck this week!

jasneko

Re: Sunflowers: Vase-sized photon sources

Awesome design, once again...though wish it wasn't on white. Which is ironic, since my own design in this derby is on white too:p Still, love it!

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
kdubbs29 wrote:I don't get the appeal of this shirt. At all. Its one of those shirts that has you thinking "if I made this, it never would have gotten votes". But hey, more power to you if you can strike a chord with the voting audience.

That's fine if you don't like the shirt, I accept both criticism and unsolicited critique on this and other designs. But I don't think most people are voting for it just because *I* made it, and not someone else. People vote for what they like, and what they would wear. I would love to have a legion of adoring fans that would vote for me no matter what I put up. If I did, perhaps I'd win here sometime. :D

artulo

Re: Pressure Release

Thanks for all the votes and nice comments everyone :D

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
alboneus wrote:Not familiar with his work, but this specific design, is not my cup of tea at all & the fact that it's in the fog just boggles my mind.

You don't like it. A lot of other people do. That's why it was in the fog. It's not boggling at all.

Sorry to jump on your comment, but I've never liked the "I don't like it, so why is it popular?" argument.

Anyways, this doesn't look like it's gonna print, so I'm hanging my hat on "Steamworks Operatica" now, though I'd consider purchasing "Some BBQ" and "I am become death" as well.

jasneko

Re: Now What?

hmmm I just saw my design go down a vote.... awwww:/

kdubbs29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdubbs29
artulo wrote:That's fine if you don't like the shirt, I accept both criticism and unsolicited critique on this and other designs. But I don't think most people are voting for it just because *I* made it, and not someone else. People vote for what they like, and what they would wear. I would love to have a legion of adoring fans that would vote for me no matter what I put up. If I did, perhaps I'd win here sometime. :D

My comment did not come across as intended. I simply meant that I personally would have doubted myself and the shirt's success if I had come up with this idea. I second-guess many of my ideas (and probably with good reason). I wasn't making a comment saying that person X would have success submitting this design while person Y wouldn't. It was more a comment about my own thoughts when I draw ideas. I've had several ideas that I scrapped part way through because I figure it would never get votes.

artulo

Re: Acherontia lachesis IIIx

Thanks all!

Yes, the design is the Death's Head Moth, Acherontia lachesis, which makes a cameo appearance in 'the silence of the lambs'.

Enjoy this shirt with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

mcowles

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mcowles
jewelwing wrote:Calling all Discworld fans.... No wait, I mean mythology fans.

I think I'd like this better without the spaceship and the rocket. Just an ode to Discworld (in such a way to obviously avoid copyright issues).

I still like it enough to vote though, Good Luck!

grahamcrackercoyote

quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
Re: Blue-Footed Booby Dance of Seduction

I'm a science teacher and this one MUST print this time around! I'm in for 3 if it does. Another classic tgentry entry.

jasneko

Re: Salt and Pepper (resub)

Great design, again... wish woot had HMed the original, which makes more sense as a design and I definitely preferred... but this one is good too!

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
bloczyns wrote:Jaden, I really love this design. Good luck this week!

Thank you!!

The Tim

quality posts: 31 Private Messages The Tim
Re: Air

Argh! I have given up all hope of Woot voters ever respecting the genius that is edgarrmcherly. Why oh why must this continue to drop in the rankings?

WHY?!?

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
The Tim wrote:Argh! I have given up all hope of Woot voters ever respecting the genius that is edgarrmcherly. Why oh why must this continue to drop in the rankings?

WHY?!?

Read the thread. People cannot appreciate genius. NEEDS MOAR EZ 2 UNDURSTANDZ

jasneko

Re: BOT SLEEVE

I thought this one was very well done in its previous derby... best use of heather grey in a design that I've seen!

jasneko

freiz wrote:That's still the most delectable log I've ever seen, and I don't normally eat logs.

lol. Still love the design! The colors don't quite work as well for me personally, but overall it's a wonderful design.

The Tim

quality posts: 31 Private Messages The Tim
AdderXYU wrote:Read the thread. People cannot appreciate genius. NEEDS MOAR EZ 2 UNDURSTANDZ

I have read the thread (well, most of it anyway). It was a rhetorical question.

The Woot-ing majority has spoken (over and over), and they obviously don't have the same taste in attire that I do. Oh well I guess.

I still wish Edgar would print grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr somewhere else, but alas, no sign of it yet.

KIDA26

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KIDA26
The Tim wrote:Argh! I have given up all hope of Woot voters ever respecting the genius that is edgarrmcherly. Why oh why must this continue to drop in the rankings?

WHY?!?

I don't think I would call this genius... but I would much rather see this up in the fog instead of that bird dance shirt. I don't get that shirt at all. It's just not wearable. And while I wouldn't wear this shirt either, I do find it more pleasing to the eye than some others.

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
Re: BearBQ

Thanks for the comments and votes!
I'll definitely change this up a bit and submit somewhere else. A few people suggested having the aurora borealis instead of fireworks. I think I'll play with that idea and see how it turns out.
Thanks again everyone!

aeternea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aeternea
Re: I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

jesus i don't understand what this is supposed to look like

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

cmdixon2 wrote:Thanks for the comments and votes!
I'll definitely change this up a bit and submit somewhere else. A few people suggested having the aurora borealis instead of fireworks. I think I'll play with that idea and see how it turns out.
Thanks again everyone!

Aurora borealis would be great with this!

KIDA26

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KIDA26
aeternea wrote:jesus i don't understand what this is supposed to look like

It's supposed to look like awesome. which it does pretty well.

Still wouldn't wear it though

knoxn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knoxn

It's a killer design, I'm just not sure what is going on in it.

Lamuril

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lamuril

This shirt really is unique. I haven't seen a shirt on woot have such a realistic gold-like color to it. GMV!

Lamuril

Lamuril

Re: Steamworks Operatica V.2

I really like the artwork... But honestly as a female I would never wear the shirt. It's definitely more of a guy shirt. I do hope you win with all the hard work you put into it, or print it elsewhere for all your strong supporters. GL!

jasneko

Demonbuttercup wrote:I love the colors on this one

Same here, once again. Very nice.

BunnyFac3

quality posts: 2 Private Messages BunnyFac3
re: i am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

The image is sick but it just kinda sits there on the shirt looking really awkward...

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
jdubb1363 wrote:ME too

Add me to the list.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

IrishLass622

quality posts: 5 Private Messages IrishLass622
Re: the pot calls the kettle...

LOVE the design, but the shirt color is way too dark for it, not enough contrast to see the design well.

thelobster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thelobster

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
binkdrop wrote:It was a joke, Adder; get over yourself. It only makes you look foolish when you get your panties all in a twist, slinging insults back at people when what I said was meant in jest.

Bink,

I've been pretty apathetic towards you, neither liking nor disliking you personally (from what you post, of course).Your work is not my style whatsoever, but that is not important. I, however, am no longer apathetic towards you, and I think that you are being intentionally insulting for no apparent reason. Like Adder, I didn't take the second statement about hypocrisy as a joke. The first one, I did. I happen to agree with most of Adder's comments, even if I don't agree with his methodology. Perhaps he shouldn't insult people, but he does so for a specific purpose beyond being an ass.

On a side note, please post a link of some other designs that remind you of Edgar's work. To say that there is art like his is tautological. Obviously, there will be art similar styles of other art. The difference between Edgar and these designs that you are saying are like Edgar's, and the other hackneyed shirts that Adder was talking about is that Edgar's shirts are instantly recognizable as his. Why? Because he adds things that make the shirts original. Do I like all of his shirts? No. Do I respect every shirt he submits? Yes. Why? Because every single shirt of his is unique. He uses different styles (like this watercolor style) and I think he does very, very well at matching style with theme. The shirts that tend to win most of the time lack that originality. For example, the same g*d damn bunnies showing up in space and on people's shoulders. Teefury does a lot of animals and skulls. Shirt.woot does a lot of cute. Edgar does a lot of, if nothing else, interesting ideas that are always well executed.

To summarize myself because I can be verbose, please post links to these artists like Edgar because I would be very happy to enjoy more like him. And in the mean time, don't judge Edgar's body of work on the shirts you have seen in less than two months; that's just narrow-sighted and makes you look foolish.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
elwayman02 wrote:I don't understand why this design doesn't have more votes. It's one of the cleanest and most brilliantly executed shirts in this derby.

It is also based on reality. Maybe people come here to escape from the pressures of work, and don't want to be reminded of it. I, however, want to get one of these to wear for casual Friday.

rabidsofapillow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rabidsofapillow
Re: Nerd Camp

Reminds me of AP Chem. Need to have this one.

depward

quality posts: 6 Private Messages depward

This NEEDS to fog - come on meow!

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
artulo wrote:Enjoy this shirt with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

I am allergic to fava beans! e_e

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

chade2001

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chade2001
kylemittskus wrote:Bink,

And in the mean time, don't judge Edgar's body of work on the shirts you have seen in less than two months. That's just narrow-sighted and makes you look foolish.

Kylemittkus,

A design should not be judged because of the artist nor because of his/her past work. It should be judged because of its sheer awesomeness at any given derby.

What if one day, an artist with a huge following (because of awesome works of the past) turns in a not so great design? Of course, people will still vote for it because of the artist and because of his/her past designs. And I think that's seriously messed up.

To me, I could care less what the artists have designed in the past because they tend to get better (or worse). All I have to look at is what they have now in front of me. So the opposite of what you said is true, a person who judge a current work by the artist's name and his/her past work is the "short-sighted and foolish" one.

Edgar's work is something I always look forward to because it's a complete standout, not just from his past work, but from the derby as well.

gone!

imsochady

quality posts: 26 Private Messages imsochady
thelobster wrote:Title: Success Whale?

I was leaning more towards "Pale Whale"