genericsmith

quality posts: 15 Private Messages genericsmith
Re: Wishful Thinking resub

YAY!!! The shirt sucessfully passed the 24 vote mark I was aiming for (double last week's votes)

Thanks to everybody that voted for it, and anybody who has YET to vote for it.

Feedback is still very appreciated. I'm pretty new at derby entries. Any help is always useful.

Munchy Attack If you can find the name of this artist & real song title I'll buy you a daily woot shirt (your choice what day)

Dystopia Dark Lager, Where the Wild Parties at?, B.A. Bearacus, and many more wanted in XXL(PLEASE!!!)
Edgar Allen Poe shall remained headlock'd until Nevermore is reckoned.

arrickgirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arrickgirl
CraigTime wrote:i'm not about to pay 10 bucks for a shirt with a fake pocket of crayons in it when i could buy a shirt with a pocket and real crayons for less then that.

Apparently, one does not truly appreciate or comprehend the concept of art? Not that I am comparing this design to Van Gogh, but using your logic: why did he waste his time painting "Sunflowers" when you could easily replicate it yourself by putting a pot of sun flowers in your table. Oh, that's right... He's an artist, you pedant. It's his skill of perceiving an object, translating it, and replicating it into a design, not just putting crayons in your pocket. A chimp could do that.

Awesome design, and oh so true!

KUClerks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KUClerks
Re: School is hard

heh, I look at all the other posts of "school is the best years of your life" and other garbage like that and then I see THIS ONE and it makes me a LOT happier! haha. School was necessary but woooooweeee am I glad to be moved on from HS and almost doneeee with college. GMV!

HalfWheat

quality posts: 18 Private Messages HalfWheat
raevynpheather wrote:I posted under this shirt, because this shirt is easily the shirt that would sell the best this derby, if it went to print, but it will not, because it is not artsy enough for many of the hardcore voters.

What my whole post boils down to is, Woot is a retail site, and the shirts that get printed should be what sells best and not what some id10ts think looks the best.

Rabmy is the perfect example. You all hate him, but he has outsold everyone else on this site. Its because his designs sell.

Just concentrate... yeah right! and Class Time Used Effectively are two perfect examples. They are GREAT art, I will give the creators credit there, but they are not that wearable (If you gave me one, It would go to goodwill, and they would probably just throw them out as unsellable). If they make print they will probably sell only about 1200 shirts, whereas this shirt would sellout by about 5pm.

Woot is a business and as a business needs to make money, so don't be surprised if something changes with the system to allow shirts that will sell better to make print, rather than many of the low selling art pieces that have made it lately.

No one can reliably predict what shirts sell the best. Woot picks shirts all the time that don't sell well. If selling out every day was their goal, you'd think they'd be the ones who could make the best predictions, and you'd think that there would be a lot more dailies that sold out.

So either they don't care about selling out, or they can't predict. Or both.

As far as what is wearable, that's a personal decision.

Low-selling art pieces might utimately be a good business decision. The derby draws people to the woot sites who might not otherwise come here if it was just a site for cheap shirts. It's not all about making money at the moment, it's about making money long-term.

supersonic213

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supersonic213
Xanzibar wrote:Uh huh...Crazy colour pattern, but looks slightly messy.

Not to mention... I believe the infinity symbol has been counted as text before, which would make it non-incidental text as used here. Don't resubmit this unless you want it to get rejected again...

The guys at the new SONIC drive-in told me to have a supersonic day. And I did!

jasneko

quality posts: 32 Private Messages jasneko
Re: School of Owl Meditation and Introspection

Ok, I think I now have owls on the brain... owls keep appearing in my dreams!

spilzer

quality posts: 121 Private Messages spilzer
Re: pencil fight of the century

Wow, I had totally forgotten about Pencil Fights! We used to have epic battles, though if I recall I was often on the losing side of the fight.

Still, good times, good times, thanks for the walk down memory lane.

cerberez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cerberez
Re: 8-bit Childhood

brilliant!

one thought, though. . . to make it look more like a real video game, the missiles bar shouldn't look like the kids bar. . . maybe some tiny vertical fat-bellied missiles?

graffd02

quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02
Re: A Teacher for Apple

I just realized that my apple teacher with a big funny fuzzy mustache could be misconstrued as an apple-teacher with an under-bite and jagged lower teeth...

76th place is such a sad place to be for my entry please vote for my apple with a mustache...

HalfWheat

Re: That Was a Long Time Ago

This is beautiful and sad and a little creepy all at the same time. It reminds me of walking through the Mayan ruins and seeing how the jungle had overgrown structures to the point where they started blending into the landscape. And then you wonder where the people went.

This has that same sort of feeling, except there weren't a whole lot of pencil sharpeners left behind by the Mayans.

cocopelao

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cocopelao
Re: people on the bus

<--- "Singing" The People on the bus shirt goes to the fog, to the fog, to the fog! GMV

Check out my shirts on TeeTrade! 44 woot.shirts and counting

HalfWheat

JordanTG wrote:Yo, i would totally vote for this but i wish the 2 "nerdy" veggies had some sort of accessory or clothing like their friend. Fix that and you GMV.

Maybe the cool foods stole the accessories from the nerd foods.

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
genericsmith wrote:YAY!!! The shirt sucessfully passed the 24 vote mark I was aiming for (double last week's votes)

Thanks to everybody that voted for it, and anybody who has YET to vote for it.

Feedback is still very appreciated. I'm pretty new at derby entries. Any help is always useful.

Good job on subtracting from the wall of ink, without losing anything from the original design. The shirt color coming thru looks great.

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 16 Private Messages benjaminleebates
Re: Just concentrate... yeah right!

I fell outta da fog. Halp, halp!

genericsmith

quality posts: 15 Private Messages genericsmith
striker138 wrote:Good job on subtracting from the wall of ink, without losing anything from the original design. The shirt color coming thru looks great.

Thanks. I'm going to work on figuring out half tones for future shirts. I'm actually pretty pleased with how well this one is doing... Funny how well that works when you have a thumbnail.

Munchy Attack If you can find the name of this artist & real song title I'll buy you a daily woot shirt (your choice what day)

Dystopia Dark Lager, Where the Wild Parties at?, B.A. Bearacus, and many more wanted in XXL(PLEASE!!!)
Edgar Allen Poe shall remained headlock'd until Nevermore is reckoned.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
HalfWheat wrote:No one can reliably predict what shirts sell the best. Woot picks shirts all the time that don't sell well. If selling out every day was their goal, you'd think they'd be the ones who could make the best predictions, and you'd think that there would be a lot more dailies that sold out.

So either they don't care about selling out, or they can't predict. Or both.

As far as what is wearable, that's a personal decision.

Low-selling art pieces might utimately be a good business decision. The derby draws people to the woot sites who might not otherwise come here if it was just a site for cheap shirts. It's not all about making money at the moment, it's about making money long-term.

Yes.

If you put out diverse and well-done work every day, you bring in people who like diverse and well done work EVERY DAY. They may not like today's offering, because people who like diverse and well done art spread their sales based on their tastes, while people who like Ramy buy only Ramy even if it leaps into the vacuum. But they check every day for the next awesome design, and sometimes they buy. On the other hand, people who are so narrowminded and only like the generic populist drivel are going to only buy the generic populist drivel. Adding too much of such drivel (as woot does most derbies) will drive off many of the diverse viewers. Lack of diverse viewers will make the good shirts sell even worse, since who's checking woot? It's just a bunch of bunnies! It's not like a Nevermore fan is going to buy something attractive and creative very often! And with no one to buy much in the way of great work, woot will become more about appeasing the sheep. But eventually the sheep won't be able to buy every shirt. And then who's going to buy scaffolding that has no audience that really appreciates it for anything but easily consumed merchandise?

There are plenty of tee sites that continue to turn profits enough to stay comfortably in business without hitting woot's normal levels of sales. Woot averages over 1000 shirts a day, between the featured shirt (which usually cracks 1k itself) and next-day sales of other tees. I don't even know if Threadless can boast those numbers. Toss in three other successful sites and the new kids.woot, and I'm pretty sure woot is turning a hell of a profit. So screw everything people claim to know about business. You know how to sell out, but you know nothing about how to sell well. If you offer something high quality and unique and honest, you have no competition. No one else is marketing your passion, your drive, and your mindset. That is why so many diverse tee sites crop up: they all have their own unique designs. You can't go to design by humans to get threadless shirts, or shirtfight to get tilteed, or seibei to get owlmovement, or whatever. But you can go lots of places and get most of woot's most popular pieces. Aaarrrgyle was already done at uneetee. Quick brown fox was more interestingly executed at Threadless. Listen to Your Conscience and Evil-o-meter were/are rehashes that have been done time and time again at Spencer gifts. But nowhere else can offer creative, well-executed and uniquely styled work, because if anyone else tried to copy it, it stops being creative in the copying.

If woot spent a month banning popular work, everybody who buys the popular work would abandon ship to somewhere else. We all know that. But woot has been all but banning GOOD work for about a year, and has been questionable about its prints for longer. Yet the people who want something great to succeed stick around because we know that when it does, we can only get it here. That base will never die. And that is why woot, and any business, does itself a disservice trying to sell out instead of sell right. If you're selling quality, a quality base will keep coming for it. If you're not, all it takes is one misstep to shift your whole buyership to another, similar site.

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
raevynpheather wrote:I posted under this shirt, because this shirt is easily the shirt that would sell the best this derby, if it went to print, but it will not, because it is not artsy enough for many of the hardcore voters.

What my whole post boils down to is, Woot is a retail site, and the shirts that get printed should be what sells best and not what some id10ts think looks the best.

Rabmy is the perfect example. You all hate him, but he has outsold everyone else on this site. Its because his designs sell.

Just concentrate... yeah right! and Class Time Used Effectively are two perfect examples. They are GREAT art, I will give the creators credit there, but they are not that wearable (If you gave me one, It would go to goodwill, and they would probably just throw them out as unsellable). If they make print they will probably sell only about 1200 shirts, whereas this shirt would sellout by about 5pm.

Woot is a business and as a business needs to make money, so don't be surprised if something changes with the system to allow shirts that will sell better to make print, rather than many of the low selling art pieces that have made it lately.

I was going to respond, but ehalcyon, halfwheat, and adder all said it for me.

However, must you keep calling everyone who has a different opinion on what's wearable a "hardcore id10t"? That kind of petty mudslinging, right from the get go in your case, undermines you and makes civil discussion hard to carry out. You like ramyb's work, and that's what you consider wearable. You know what? More power to you. I don't think it's wearable, however, not for me anyway, and I consider what you think to be unwearable art to be perfectly wonderful as a shirt. That doesn't make me "hardcore" (which, really, is a term that makes no sense regarding t-shirt art) or an id!ot.

tyler0123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tyler0123
Xanzibar wrote:Wheres the picture?

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
arrickgirl wrote:Apparently, one does not truly appreciate or comprehend the concept of art? Not that I am comparing this design to Van Gogh, but using your logic: why did he waste his time painting "Sunflowers" when you could easily replicate it yourself by putting a pot of sun flowers in your table. Oh, that's right... He's an artist, you pedant. It's his skill of perceiving an object, translating it, and replicating it into a design, not just putting crayons in your pocket. A chimp could do that.

Awesome design, and oh so true!

I wish I hadn't bought "Some BBQ" when I could've walked around with a copy of "Charlotte's Web" taped to my chest. And I wish I hadn't bought "Rain Dance" when I could just run out into the actual rain and stand really close to dripping leaves and raindrops to try and see dancing people.

Acorns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Acorns
Re: Note for the Principal

"Gee golly Mr. Principal, what big teeth you have."
"Better to eat you with my dear."

Acorns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Acorns
Re: The Chemist

Why doesn't he have any of the blue on his goggles?

Stellardig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stellardig
Re: Got Milk Money?

Had a late start on this design. I hope everyone likes it.

Sandburn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sandburn
Re: I like it...I want it!Wishful Thinking resub

snackbot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snackbot
Re: Study time

I don't understand this but it makes me smile inside.

binkdrop

quality posts: 8 Private Messages binkdrop
Re: Bus 666

I like the movement lines and the way you depicted the speeding bus. : ) I think you and I are on the same page about school being hell. :p

raebee

quality posts: 21 Private Messages raebee
Re: people on the bus

Ok I know what all the squares are except the bottom left one I just can't seem to remember that verse anyone want to help me out?

BTW GMV Hooray for acronyms!

Where do you find a Roomba? At the Innba!

capedcrusader514

quality posts: 1 Private Messages capedcrusader514
Re: Number 2 pencils only

imo this would not be purty on a shirt.

yvonnelau

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yvonnelau
Re: No more paper planes EVER

HAHAHA! Reminds me back in first grade...awesome.

HalfWheat

Re: Note for the Principal

This is how I imagined my grade school principal, except she was a she. But she had seriously long red fingernails that were easy to imagine as claws. Gawd, she frightened me.

moosejoose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moosejoose
moosejoose wrote:I like the pipe. Something about pipes make me think of smart people...unless they are blowing bubbles instead of pipe smoke...

Er it was brought to my attention that it's not a pipe...it's a compass....

kateybee

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kateybee
raebee wrote:Ok I know what all the squares are except the bottom left one I just can't seem to remember that verse anyone want to help me out?

BTW GMV Hooray for acronyms!

"Babies on the bus go "wah wah wah, wah wah wah, wah wah wah"......."

That's why the "Mama's on the bus say shh shh shh, shh shh shh, shh shh shh."

I MUST own this shirt!!!!!!

kenney9226

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226

kaseyfleming

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kaseyfleming

chrisbarbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrisbarbar
Re: Everything I Need

Ill have my first Woot! cranberry shirt if it wins! My wife just cut me off from yellow after I received "Gonna Make You Lunch" today I love it though

raevynpheather

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raevynpheather

Ok, I think I went too far, and I do apologize for that.

Ok, new suggestion then. Set it up so that if the shirt you voted for prints, then you automatically buy one (maybe go through the purchase agreement and size choice when you vote, and you are auto charged when it prints).

That sums up my problems with the current system. Too many people voting for shirts that they think look good, but they wont buy themselves. I will admit that I did that when I first started voting over a year ago, but I quickly realized that that was self defeating, so now I vote for 1 to 3 shirts a derby, all shirts that I WILL buy if they print.

The logistics of this suggestion could be a pain, but I think that it would be a better voting system. The vote does say "I'd want one" not "This looks good".

tyler0123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tyler0123

Cool...so the dog ate the homework and thinks it tastes like chicken...cute ideal.

rdonley11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rdonley11
Re: Here Comes the Magic School Bus!

I loved that show (even though I was probably a little too old to be watching it)!

Griffin100

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Griffin100

NO! How did this rad awesome shirt get out of the fog? It's obviously the best shirt in the contest...

Honestly, Class Time Used Effectively is the only other good one in the contest. The rest of the fog makes me die a little inside.

wjmoss

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wjmoss
graffd02 wrote:Vote I shall sir... Kudos to you!

I'd like this better if it were on white. Just sayin'.

wjmoss

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wjmoss
graffd02 wrote:Vote I shall sir... Kudos to you!

I'd like this better if it were on white. Just sayin'.