spilzer

quality posts: 121 Private Messages spilzer
drewski79 wrote:Thanks for all the compliments and constructive criticism. I appreciate it. and I agree there is something off or just not quite complete to it but I'm not sure what to do about it.

I think the 4 that's inside the court is a bit wonky compared to the others. I agree that the big 4 in the center might be "non-incidental" text, which is too bad because I quite like this design.

I would definitely need to get one to give to my 4-square addicted friend.

Raining

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Raining
Re: Pucker's Going Up the Quad and to the Gymnasium!

Is she pregnant or just fat? Maybe an overweight guy.

Radscoolian

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Radscoolian
rdonley11 wrote:I loved that show (even though I was probably a little too old to be watching it)!

No way. I was totally watching that all the way through high school.

brendecko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brendecko
Re: Here Comes the Magic School Bus!

Ms. Frizzle's last field trip? Great design, Stevo! I really hope this gets printed.

HalfWheat

quality posts: 18 Private Messages HalfWheat
Re: Just concentrate... yeah right!

I really, really like the thought processes in this...it's like a daydream where you go from math to thinking about a finger pointing instead of a decimal point, and then it's just random all over the place. I want to follow the different ideas and see how they connect and where they just jump off to something new.

But I have to agree with some of the comments about the person being somehow off. To me, it seems like the problem isn't the gender, but that there's some odd age discrepancies. The larger head and shorter forearm make me think the person is young -- like early grade school, based also on the posture. The profile also seems young -- not yet adult, but could be as old as a teenaged girl. But the way the hand is grasping the pencil makes me think the person is probably a toddler. Yet the thought processes are much older. Young kids don't know much about pi, for example. And the shoulder and upper arm seem too muscular for a kid. So overall, trying to figure out what's going on with the person distracts from the imagination part of the piece, which is the best part.

I don't know if the issues with the person make it a complete dealbreaker, because the rest is interesting. And it seems that a lot of people are loving it.

imsochady

quality posts: 30 Private Messages imsochady

HalfWheat

quality posts: 18 Private Messages HalfWheat
raevynpheather wrote:Ok, I think I went too far, and I do apologize for that.

Ok, new suggestion then. Set it up so that if the shirt you voted for prints, then you automatically buy one (maybe go through the purchase agreement and size choice when you vote, and you are auto charged when it prints).

That sums up my problems with the current system. Too many people voting for shirts that they think look good, but they wont buy themselves. I will admit that I did that when I first started voting over a year ago, but I quickly realized that that was self defeating, so now I vote for 1 to 3 shirts a derby, all shirts that I WILL buy if they print.

The logistics of this suggestion could be a pain, but I think that it would be a better voting system. The vote does say "I'd want one" not "This looks good".

There are sites that work that way.

pooflady

quality posts: 25 Private Messages pooflady
re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry.aspx?id=34775]pucker

Angelina Jolie puckers!

I think my guardian angel drinks.

simontsui

quality posts: 1 Private Messages simontsui
Re: Brainwashed

I totally would have voted for and bought this shirt. I don't think ramyb was stealing Dr. Seuss's illustration style, but rather paying homage to the great cartoonist.

I'm a sucker for Dr. Seuss reference Woot shirts.

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple
Re: I'm Outa Here

I know it's only tuesday (and I don't want to jinx it) but truly if this doesn't get higher I hope you'll tell us if you put this elsewhere. I love this design and would most definitely buy it.

FunOnTheBun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FunOnTheBun
binkdrop wrote:Yep The Cake is a Liar is on orange, and I wasn't here for the Barbecue derby but I looked up Bootsboots' entry and it too was on orange. So was Whats Under the Bed which I own and love! : )

So you said The Road to El Dorado reminds you of you and your brother? That must be super cool to have Elton John singing the soundtrack to your life. :p (I'm kidding!)

Well you know what? It is cool. It's flippin' awesome. TO THE MAX. So there. Ha!

simontsui

quality posts: 1 Private Messages simontsui

KIDA26

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KIDA26
re: here comes the magic school bus!

Haha, I love that it says "Die!" across the front. It made me lol.

derkis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages derkis
re: 8-bit childhood

I'd wear if it weren't for the border. Other than that, it's got my vote.

jamiecho3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamiecho3

this is my favorite. I hope you all get devoured by rabid wolverines for considering this "off topic."

really. MY FAVORITE.

I'm not going to buy no more damn woot shirts til this one's for sale.

promise.

sugareeali

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sugareeali
AdderXYU wrote:Yes.

If you put out diverse and well-done work every day, you bring in people who like diverse and well done work EVERY DAY. They may not like today's offering, because people who like diverse and well done art spread their sales based on their tastes, while people who like Ramy buy only Ramy even if it leaps into the vacuum. But they check every day for the next awesome design, and sometimes they buy. On the other hand, people who are so narrowminded and only like the generic populist drivel are going to only buy the generic populist drivel. Adding too much of such drivel (as woot does most derbies) will drive off many of the diverse viewers. Lack of diverse viewers will make the good shirts sell even worse, since who's checking woot? It's just a bunch of bunnies! It's not like a Nevermore fan is going to buy something attractive and creative very often! And with no one to buy much in the way of great work, woot will become more about appeasing the sheep. But eventually the sheep won't be able to buy every shirt. And then who's going to buy scaffolding that has no audience that really appreciates it for anything but easily consumed merchandise?

There are plenty of tee sites that continue to turn profits enough to stay comfortably in business without hitting woot's normal levels of sales. Woot averages over 1000 shirts a day, between the featured shirt (which usually cracks 1k itself) and next-day sales of other tees. I don't even know if Threadless can boast those numbers. Toss in three other successful sites and the new kids.woot, and I'm pretty sure woot is turning a hell of a profit. So screw everything people claim to know about business. You know how to sell out, but you know nothing about how to sell well. If you offer something high quality and unique and honest, you have no competition. No one else is marketing your passion, your drive, and your mindset. That is why so many diverse tee sites crop up: they all have their own unique designs. You can't go to design by humans to get threadless shirts, or shirtfight to get tilteed, or seibei to get owlmovement, or whatever. But you can go lots of places and get most of woot's most popular pieces. Aaarrrgyle was already done at uneetee. Quick brown fox was more interestingly executed at Threadless. Listen to Your Conscience and Evil-o-meter were/are rehashes that have been done time and time again at Spencer gifts. But nowhere else can offer creative, well-executed and uniquely styled work, because if anyone else tried to copy it, it stops being creative in the copying.

If woot spent a month banning popular work, everybody who buys the popular work would abandon ship to somewhere else. We all know that. But woot has been all but banning GOOD work for about a year, and has been questionable about its prints for longer. Yet the people who want something great to succeed stick around because we know that when it does, we can only get it here. That base will never die. And that is why woot, and any business, does itself a disservice trying to sell out instead of sell right. If you're selling quality, a quality base will keep coming for it. If you're not, all it takes is one misstep to shift your whole buyership to another, similar site.

Well done.

namewasbad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages namewasbad
Re: people on the bus

I can't believe I need to ask this question after all those years of Mommie and Me...
What is the middle on the bottom row?

mitchellp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp
Re: Look Sharp

I don't think this shirt is doing too well because Woot's already printed something very similar already. Check it

marmls2m

quality posts: 2 Private Messages marmls2m
sugareeali wrote:Well done.

agreed.

FirefIy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages FirefIy

Who spit in who's bean curd?

marmls2m

quality posts: 2 Private Messages marmls2m
KIDA26 wrote:Haha, I love that it says "Die!" across the front. It made me lol.

i dont like the big circle in the front. i think you could have done better with the layout

Mekora

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mekora
Re: The real reason they're the primary colors

I want this shirt so bad.

FirefIy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages FirefIy

A thread (of a shirt that seems pretty popular) with all positive comments.

Someone! Quick! Call out the angry folk!

The parent in me likes this shirt

parrotworks

quality posts: 17 Private Messages parrotworks
FirefIy wrote:A thread (of a shirt that seems pretty popular) with all positive comments.

Someone! Quick! Call out the angry folk!

The parent in me likes this shirt

You think when they get angry about my shirt, they'll jump up and down?

lydizzy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lydizzy
striker138 wrote:The winning shirts are sold friday (1st place), saturday (2nd) and sunday (3rd). Honorable mentions are announced sometime the following week. All the the HM over a period go into another derby for a second chance at being printed. Hope that helps.

thanks. i hope this shirt wins! its uber cute!

BaldBob007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BaldBob007
Re: Daily Non-Stop Service to Sub's Desks Everywhere

I'm surprised no one has commented on the wood grain yet! It is fantastic!!! This is a very different style than I'm used to seeing you do on shirt.woot... I like!

sugareeali

sugareeali

Re: Friends: The Real School Supplies

I really adore this. I never ever buy cream. But I do adore this.

capedcrusader514

quality posts: 1 Private Messages capedcrusader514
wjmoss wrote:I'd like this better if it were on white. Just sayin'.

I couldn't decide between the two.... but all my homeboys are tellin me i should have done white.

BaldBob007

I'm torn... I love all the textures you created and the colors are great... but the balloon escape theme is just getting boring for me...

BaldBob007

Re: School is hard

The characters are so simple, yet fantastic! I love the pencil shavings coming out of the sharpener...

BaldBob007

Re: Field Trip!!

I like the style and all the little details; however, the colors just seem a bit too muted to me. I don't know if you'd be able to pick anything out from over an arm's length away...

loveengrey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages loveengrey

Ahhh man this ones awesome. That show taught me so much growing up. Nothing I'd wear but thanks for evoking all the memories haha

loveengrey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages loveengrey
JordanTG wrote:Yo, i would totally vote for this but i wish the 2 "nerdy" veggies had some sort of accessory or clothing like their friend. Fix that and you GMV.

Maybe they're just naked at school ;)

BaldBob007

Xanzibar wrote:Nice halftones (not sure if they will print), The compass could be done better to make it look like a rocket, but nice try anyways.

Yeah, I don't really get that it's a rocket from the comp. Maybe some fire/smoke billowing out behind would help the illusion. But I also agree that the placement is low. The halftones are wonderful, though.

BaldBob007

Re: How can you have any pudding...

While the execution is lacking, the concept is just so incredibly great that it would surely overpower my better judgment if this went to print...

jasneko

quality posts: 32 Private Messages jasneko
Re: A Hellacious Lot.

Neat idea and nicely done binkdrop!
I agree the one thing I noticed that seemed off was the students not facing the board, but I know your dilemma, I went through the same thing when I was planning some designs for this derby (that didn't get made). And cute little chicky/ducky/birdy that you knitted!

homeschoolwinner

quality posts: 4 Private Messages homeschoolwinner

I love this so much. And I don't even care the the balloons on my right bosom would be in 3D.

I can has?

"Love is the meaning of life, Life is the meaning of love" The Rutles

parrotworks

quality posts: 17 Private Messages parrotworks
Re: people on the bus

Ruling the hotness for a couple days may not necessarily get me to print but I do believe I've earned a moment to ramble.

First, what a ride! (pun intended)

A certain print would have been nice. But a true come-from-behind at a break-neck pace to a photo finish satisfies my inner adrenaline junkie. Last I checked, Vegas was giving me 1/19 odds.

Thank you all for your support. Many of us pop on and off the web with little thought. We as artists really have a unique opportunity here at woot to concentrate on the art, have an enormous artistical supportive community appreciate it and occasionally see it come to life in print without much personal hassle.

Quick fun aside: My daughter left for elementary school yesterday and wanted to know how she'd get updates on my woot. At least she hasn't spun it into getting a cell phone..yet.

Quick thank you to Brian who for months I blamed for putting me in this wootine. Now I guess I need to credit him.

Thanks again all.

Off to hit refresh again.

scuzzmaster11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scuzzmaster11

hmmm . . . i like this a lot. nice style, good placement, and the sketchy feel fits very well for the intended concept. the only thing i found a bit off is . . . i don't recall having black paper in school. lol, it looks better on black. my wife says i'm nit-picking. nice job, gmv