debonairlove

quality posts: 0 Private Messages debonairlove
loveengrey wrote:Maybe they're just naked at school ;)

Yeah! nerdy nudist, we had loads at my school.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
parrotworks wrote:Ruling the hotness for a couple days may not necessarily get me to print but I do believe I've earned a moment to ramble.

First, what a ride! (pun intended)

A certain print would have been nice. But a true come-from-behind at a break-neck pace to a photo finish satisfies my inner adrenaline junkie. Last I checked, Vegas was giving me 1/19 odds.

Quick fun aside: My daughter left for elementary school yesterday and wanted to know how she'd get updates on my woot. At least she hasn't spun it into getting a cell phone..yet.

Thanks again all.

Off to hit refresh again.

Youbetchcan made it into 3rd place after a Sunday or M0nday start. I think you can too.

I think advertising it on the kids.woot threads might help.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Re: Pucker's Going Up the Quad and to the Gymnasium!

Oh man, the pucker in profile is oddly disturbing.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

eHalcyon

Re: Here Comes the Magic School Bus!

I had Magic School Bus computer games. TT

I would probably purchase and wear this. Voted!

eHalcyon

raevynpheather wrote:Ok, I think I went too far, and I do apologize for that.

Ok, new suggestion then. Set it up so that if the shirt you voted for prints, then you automatically buy one (maybe go through the purchase agreement and size choice when you vote, and you are auto charged when it prints).

That sums up my problems with the current system. Too many people voting for shirts that they think look good, but they wont buy themselves. I will admit that I did that when I first started voting over a year ago, but I quickly realized that that was self defeating, so now I vote for 1 to 3 shirts a derby, all shirts that I WILL buy if they print.

The logistics of this suggestion could be a pain, but I think that it would be a better voting system. The vote does say "I'd want one" not "This looks good".

You might want to check Cameesa.

It wouldn't work as well on Woot though. There are many legitimate reasons why you might not be purchase it after voting for it. For example, maybe you don't have the funds available immediately, but you'd purchase it for the $15 later on. Or maybe you were planning to buy it as a gift but learned after voting had ended that the would-be recipient actually doesn't like the design. Or maybe you like and vote for two designs in the fog that are in close contention with a third, but can only afford to buy one shirt that week when both manage to print...

I think most people do just vote for the designs that they'd probably buy, at least when it comes to the designs near the top that have a shot at printing. I don't leave my vote on a top 5 design unless I really do plan on purchasing it.

lucky1988

quality posts: 23 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: Yak to School

Thanks capedcrusader514

lucky1988

quality posts: 23 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: What makes them so popular?...

@janesko: Thanks. The Broccoli is actually looking at the "cool" foods, he just has a lazy eye. As for the Brussels sprout, he's depressed and in deep contemplation about his "lack" of popularity.

@devdave
@JordanTG
Thanks!

@HalfWheat
@debonairlove
@loveengray
Cheers! They were actually assaulted earlier by some bullies and stripped of all their clothing and well as their dignity.

DirkDDarring

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DirkDDarring
snackbot wrote:I don't understand this but it makes me smile inside.

txs, there was going to be more but my computer kept crashing and it was already late so I just stopped and submitted it as is. Hope you have a great week and keep smiling, people will think your up to something. 8-)

Michael Irwin
Graphic artist
www.wix.com/idforu/idforu

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 16 Private Messages benjaminleebates
HalfWheat wrote:I really, really like the thought processes in this...it's like a daydream where you go from math to thinking about a finger pointing instead of a decimal point, and then it's just random all over the place. I want to follow the different ideas and see how they connect and where they just jump off to something new.

But I have to agree with some of the comments about the person being somehow off. To me, it seems like the problem isn't the gender, but that there's some odd age discrepancies. The larger head and shorter forearm make me think the person is young -- like early grade school, based also on the posture. The profile also seems young -- not yet adult, but could be as old as a teenaged girl. But the way the hand is grasping the pencil makes me think the person is probably a toddler. Yet the thought processes are much older. Young kids don't know much about pi, for example. And the shoulder and upper arm seem too muscular for a kid. So overall, trying to figure out what's going on with the person distracts from the imagination part of the piece, which is the best part.

I don't know if the issues with the person make it a complete dealbreaker, because the rest is interesting. And it seems that a lot of people are loving it.

Thanks for all the great feedback. I'm not the greatest artists, but I am working at getting better. I like to stylize, but find it gets confusing when deciding which like to bulk up and slim down.
As far as the pencil hold, lefties often hold the pencil differently than righties. And I ham-fist my drawing utensils, too... So it may have less to do with revealing the age and more to do with my quirks.
I will take this all as a learning experience.
Sure, I would love to win, but, unless some floodgates open, I'm just not certain.
I've far surpassed previous scores. So woo-hoo. But, Man, I would love a win.

graffd02

quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02
rdonley11 wrote:I loved that show (even though I was probably a little too old to be watching it)!

Was a totally awesome Book series before it was a TV show +1

Redhatmomma52

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Redhatmomma52
Re: That Was a Long Time Ago

Beautiful Job TG

Redhatmomma52

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Redhatmomma52
moosejoose wrote:Er it was brought to my attention that it's not a pipe...it's a compass....

Pipe? Ahh yes, I rememeber buying my pipe for new school year. Of course I did use mine for bubbles...

jewelwing

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing
cmdixon2 wrote:I'm not sure why but when I saw this one I instantly thought of Threadless. It just looks like that's where it would be. It's very clever and I love the lemon. Great color choice.

Thanks. I had the same feeling even tho I can't for the life of me remember seeing it anywhere before. I'm just waiting for someone to go Wait! Its been done! and send me a link to Threadless. But maybe not.

Bob - Glad you like the wood grain. I want to do more with that.

frigginacky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frigginacky
Re: people on the bus

This shirt is amazing! GMV. Now on to the fog!

shirt.woots: Random x1, Some BBQ, The Last Day, The Chemist, people on the bus, Random x1, Scareperson, Campfire Tales

benjaminleebates

Griffin100 wrote:NO! How did this rad awesome shirt get out of the fog? It's obviously the best shirt in the contest...

Honestly, Class Time Used Effectively is the only other good one in the contest. The rest of the fog makes me die a little inside.

Thank you griffon!
"Die inside", I love it, that's too funny.
Well, doesn't the top three get 700+ votes before all is said and done. Soooo, we shall see. If you (collectively) really like it; then campaign for me. Blog, tweet, face, space, bbs, chan, etc. this link for support.
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=34691
thanks

anjulka

quality posts: 5 Private Messages anjulka

Heehee. The pencil looks like he has to pee.

shirtshark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shirtshark
benjaminleebates wrote:Thank you griffon!
"Die inside", I love it, that's too funny.
Well, doesn't the top three get 700+ votes before all is said and done. Soooo, we shall see. If you (collectively) really like it; then campaign for me. Blog, tweet, face, space, bbs, chan, etc. this link for support.
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=34691
thanks

I've already rustled 6 votes out of my co-workers. But if this doesn't win, I'd suggest removing either the bottom portion of the arm or the whole arm. I don't believe its necessary and it seems to be distracting from the overall awesomeness of this design. But you still have my vote!

Danulas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Danulas
Re: Class Time Used Effectively

I'd be all for it if it weren't black. Unfortunately, I already have too many black Woot shirts.

KUClerks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KUClerks
Re: That Was a Long Time Ago

I really really like the color scheme of this, and all the stuff is really cool but the flowers really make it for me, it's a superb design! gmv

KUClerks

Re: Italian teachers...Teaching us well

haha. my boss at the cookie store was indonesian... "By Tree, Get One Free!" haha. like the concept. you gotta use this idea in another derby!

KUClerks

Re: dunce

really good drawing, surprised this doesn't have more votes!

KUClerks

Re: Here Comes the Magic School Bus!

magic school bus... from hell!! haha. you forgot the devil driver with the flamin red hair though. lol!! jk. GMV

bmscurlock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmscurlock
Re: Or Else

I love the comic style but I don't get it either.

spilzer

quality posts: 121 Private Messages spilzer
wootvan wrote:...of course, I'm not sure what mommies and babies are doing on a school bus.

I kinda agree. This shirt doesn't seem to be the most on topic, but it is so awesome in every other way that it hardly matters to me.

I really enjoy seeing songs interpreted through icons, don't know why, it just appeals to my sense of humor, I guess.

sittle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sittle
Re: I'm Outa Here

I yodel for yodal!

Bravo sir! Great piece of art...

benjaminleebates

shirtshark wrote:I've already rustled 6 votes out of my co-workers. But if this doesn't win, I'd suggest removing either the bottom portion of the arm or the whole arm. I don't believe its necessary and it seems to be distracting from the overall awesomeness of this design. But you still have my vote!

Yeah, I agree with the distraction. But I almost bet that it would have been rejected without the arm, pencil and paper. The connection with school would have been much more difficult to assert. Then it is just a head and thoughts. That can be anywhere.
I would have had to design the thought more concretely around specific common subjects and school-life.
I am learning though. I am looking forward to tomorrow and the start of a new comp. I really want to win... But if I don't, I can take what I have learned and do better next week!

paxetaurora

quality posts: 1 Private Messages paxetaurora
Re: Check Yes or No

I'm rooting for this shirt SO MUCH! It's my fave in this Derby.

wootdebroot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootdebroot

I love this shirt and would buy one!

re: people on the bus

rocioorduno

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rocioorduno

This shirt rocks!

supersonic213

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supersonic213
raevynpheather wrote:
Ok, new suggestion then. Set it up so that if the shirt you voted for prints, then you automatically buy one (maybe go through the purchase agreement and size choice when you vote, and you are auto charged when it prints).

I know eHalc commented already about this, but absolutely go to Cameesa. This is crowdfunding at its breakthrough stage in our economic climate. The idea is to get your funding from your customers BEFORE you deliver the item, which means the only investors you've got to pay off are the customers themselves. It's not unlike commissioning art, except the "crowd" wants it and not some rich philanthropist. This will get more popular in the next 10 years or so with other products, I think. Though I suppose it's just as possible it may die a fad's death.

Some woot designers have works up on Cameesa. Take a look sometime.

The guys at the new SONIC drive-in told me to have a supersonic day. And I did!

catz07b

quality posts: 0 Private Messages catz07b
re: everything i need

is it just me, or does it kinda look like the Eye of Sauron?

MadamAtom

quality posts: 7 Private Messages MadamAtom
parrotworks wrote:This is great but I would suggest a more revealing thumbnail.

Really? When I saw the title and the thumbnail, I immediately thought "Oh, it's gonna be a room full of foxes." No joke.

Cute but not cutesy.

Weredawg

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Weredawg

Wow. It took me a while to understand what was going on with this shirt but now I see. Pretty clever. Like the concept and how you executed it. I may buy one if it gets printed.

GMV

genericsmith

quality posts: 15 Private Messages genericsmith
Re: Wishful Thinking resub

I was excited when I doubled my votes from last week... but quadrupled! Thanks to everybody who gave me input and everybody who voted.

If I keep up this way I may actually get to the fog sometime (yeah... right :P )

Thanks again!

EDIT: I can't remember if I had gotten 12 or 14 votes last week. Hmmm... I guess more people need to vote just to be safe.

Munchy Attack If you can find the name of this artist & real song title I'll buy you a daily woot shirt (your choice what day)

Dystopia Dark Lager, Where the Wild Parties at?, B.A. Bearacus, and many more wanted in XXL(PLEASE!!!)
Edgar Allen Poe shall remained headlock'd until Nevermore is reckoned.

eHalcyon

benjaminleebates wrote:As far as the pencil hold, lefties often hold the pencil differently than righties. And I ham-fist my drawing utensils, too... So it may have less to do with revealing the age and more to do with my quirks.

As a lefty, I have to say that most don't ham-fist writing utensils like that. We tend to curl our hands around so that our hand forms a sort of triangle with the knuckles at the top (pointing away from us) and the pencil slanting down back towards us and to our right. Righties usually hold their pens with the tip pointing "upwards" (away from them); you can see how we hold it by rotating your wrist slightly so your index finger points to the left. The reason is because we usually learn from righties and, as children, try to mimic their right hand position rather than just mirroring, resulting in the curl.

Hooray useless knowledge!

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
tyler0123 wrote:Cool...so the dog ate the homework and thinks it tastes like chicken...cute ideal.

a. I love it when people comment on their own shirts like they're somebody else.

b. How many colors do you have in that thing anyhow???

HalfWheat

quality posts: 18 Private Messages HalfWheat
benjaminleebates wrote:Thanks for all the great feedback. I'm not the greatest artists, but I am working at getting better. I like to stylize, but find it gets confusing when deciding which like to bulk up and slim down.
As far as the pencil hold, lefties often hold the pencil differently than righties. And I ham-fist my drawing utensils, too... So it may have less to do with revealing the age and more to do with my quirks.
I will take this all as a learning experience.
Sure, I would love to win, but, unless some floodgates open, I'm just not certain.
I've far surpassed previous scores. So woo-hoo. But, Man, I would love a win.

You're still close to the top, which is great. And there's always an HM to look hope for.

There are probably a couple things beyond your control that are causing people to split their votes for the top few, which means you aren't getting as many as you would in a different derby. There are two shirts with a similar style/theme, and two that are on the same color shirt. So for the people who might buy more than one shirt, they're probably going to want them to be different from each other.

And even though you're up against a shirt of the same style, I don't think the difference in votes has to do with artistic skill as much as it has to with personal preference, like which color people like better. Or whether they respond more to the idea of daydreaming or doodling. Or maybe it's just one little detail that someone likes better in one design.

If you've gotten this many votes, obviously people like what you're doing. If this doesn't climb back up, I suspect it won't be long before you get something printed.

graffd02

quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02
Re: people on the bus

Oh...

The People on the Bus go Up Up Up... Up Up Up.. Up Up Up.. yes the People on the bus go Up Up Up all through the Fog!

Everybody!

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
Antonotron wrote:W007! second rejection in a ROW! w007 can suck it! with their non-halftone-supporting selves :P

It's not the halftones that got you rejected, it's the text. This derby allowed incidental text - think a label on a bottle, the word "STOP" on a stop sign. Would the shirt still make sense without the text? Not your shirt. Hence, rejection.

MadamAtom

quality posts: 7 Private Messages MadamAtom
nevetnod wrote:Yes, yes, agreed, but what. does. it. MEAN?!

Panel 1: Boy is shocked and frightened to learn that he's failed his test.

Panel 2: In fear, knowing what's coming, boy grabs hold of his desk for dear life (incidentally dropping the paper in such a way that we can see the failing grade). Girl, seeing claw pass by overhead (with motion lines to show it's not done moving back yet), looks back to see where it's going.

Panel 3: Claw has grabbed boy and dragged him back out of frame so quickly as to (a) elicit symbols of pain and/or swearing and (b) cause girl to drop her pencil (complete with cartoon-figure eraser with arms) in shock and fear.

Title: Girl realizes she needs to work her tail off, or else it could be her getting dragged away next time.