benjaminleebates

quality posts: 16 Private Messages benjaminleebates
HalfWheat wrote:You're still close to the top, which is great. And there's always an HM to look hope for.

There are probably a couple things beyond your control that are causing people to split their votes for the top few, which means you aren't getting as many as you would in a different derby. There are two shirts with a similar style/theme, and two that are on the same color shirt. So for the people who might buy more than one shirt, they're probably going to want them to be different from each other.

And even though you're up against a shirt of the same style, I don't think the difference in votes has to do with artistic skill as much as it has to with personal preference, like which color people like better. Or whether they respond more to the idea of daydreaming or doodling. Or maybe it's just one little detail that someone likes better in one design.

If you've gotten this many votes, obviously people like what you're doing. If this doesn't climb back up, I suspect it won't be long before you get something printed.

thank you so much for that! I could always use a little encouragement...
I don't want to get stuck in a particular rut like a few hated artist around here, but I do want to find something that works and keep at it until it goes to print. Do you think that it is the manic/ADD variety in the doodles that appeals to the voters? I'm really good at this, and I could do something in this style for virtually every derby. Or would that be a bad idea?

thatrobert

quality posts: 49 Private Messages thatrobert
Re: This Be Difficult

• Congratulations on winning a Best Loser Award!
  • This is not SPAM.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.
  • You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

thatrobert

Re: bus ride

• This is not SPAM.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.

thatrobert

Re: What makes them so popular?...

• This is not SPAM.

thatrobert

Re: your shirt is SOCHOOL

• This is not SPAM.

thatrobert

Re: Wishful Thinking resub

• This is not SPAM.

PixelPotato

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PixelPotato
jamiecho3 wrote:this is my favorite. I hope you all get devoured by rabid wolverines for considering this "off topic."

really. MY FAVORITE.

I'm not going to buy no more damn woot shirts til this one's for sale.

promise.

<3

icymallard

quality posts: 4 Private Messages icymallard
Re: Compass Rocket

likin those colors

HalfWheat

quality posts: 18 Private Messages HalfWheat
benjaminleebates wrote:thank you so much for that! I could always use a little encouragement...
I don't want to get stuck in a particular rut like a few hated artist around here, but I do want to find something that works and keep at it until it goes to print. Do you think that it is the manic/ADD variety in the doodles that appeals to the voters? I'm really good at this, and I could do something in this style for virtually every derby. Or would that be a bad idea?

I've got no clue what appeals to voters here. Just do the best you can to make something you like and you're proud of, and see what takes off and what doesn't.

I think that if you do the same thing in every derby, you will get in a rut, and people will label you as that guy who always turns in the same stuff...goes the easy route...recycles too much. It's good to have a recognizable style, but if it's too predictable, people get bored.

turkeyibrox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages turkeyibrox
namewasbad wrote:I can't believe I need to ask this question after all those years of Mommie and Me...
What is the middle on the bottom row?

yeah, I was wondering that one too actually...

benjaminleebates

HalfWheat wrote:I've got no clue what appeals to voters here. Just do the best you can to make something you like and you're proud of, and see what takes off and what doesn't.

I think that if you do the same thing in every derby, you will get in a rut, and people will label you as that guy who always turns in the same stuff...goes the easy route...recycles too much. It's good to have a recognizable style, but if it's too predictable, people get bored.

I'm thinking more along the lines of similar style... Not so much recycled. Um, I guess I just need to try it out a few times and see if I keep fogging or if people don't respond to it, huh? I'm 31 and I haven't really found MY style yet, is that a good or bad thing...

benjaminleebates

parrotworks wrote:Ruling the hotness for a couple days may not necessarily get me to print but I do believe I've earned a moment to ramble.

First, what a ride! (pun intended)

A certain print would have been nice. But a true come-from-behind at a break-neck pace to a photo finish satisfies my inner adrenaline junkie. Last I checked, Vegas was giving me 1/19 odds.

Thank you all for your support. Many of us pop on and off the web with little thought. We as artists really have a unique opportunity here at woot to concentrate on the art, have an enormous artistical supportive community appreciate it and occasionally see it come to life in print without much personal hassle.

Quick fun aside: My daughter left for elementary school yesterday and wanted to know how she'd get updates on my woot. At least she hasn't spun it into getting a cell phone..yet.

Quick thank you to Brian who for months I blamed for putting me in this wootine. Now I guess I need to credit him.

Thanks again all.

Off to hit refresh again.

I think this one will be in first place. So, my person views can't really have any effect on this shirt.
Having said that, I really don't like it. Bad memories of bus rides, and junior high girls. That's it. If I were a 12 year old volleyball girl, I would be on this like white on rice.
I had to ride between one to one and a half hours each way to school. I did this for about 5 years. YUCKY, no thank you.
Another thing, it just so reminds my of shirt that you would find on Noisebot, or some other site, not really very creative. But then, what can I say, one of my hgihest scoring shirts took me like an hour and was totally playing to the Hitch-hickers guide... crowd.
So I am torn between really disliking the shirt, angry that others like it so much, confused on why it gained so much steam; and annoyed by the subject.
With like 2% jealousy in there; full disclosure and what-not.

yummypancake

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yummypancake
Re: The Chemist

I need this shirt so bad it's not even funny........see, I'm not laughing.

3at1time

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 3at1time

I would buy three of these for my sons -- awesome!

beansjeep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beansjeep

I like it cant wait to get it...

paramecium10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paramecium10
parrotheads wrote:And I'm pretty sure the last time you sang the song, you were on a school bus ;)

I played my Game Boy on the school bus. I guess a Game Boy shirt would be on topic then? Personally I never sung this song and don't see what it has to do with the subject of school. Just because something is something you did as a kid doesn't mean it relates to school at all. Like if someone did a Three Blind Mice shirt in a derby about school. Totally off-topic.

slhampel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slhampel
Re: people on the bus

For those who are confused, the song is "The Wheels on the Bus" and the verses used here are:
- The wheels on the bus go round and round
- The people on the bus go up and down
- The driver on the bus says move on back
- The babies on the bus go whaa whaa whaa
- The mommies on the bus go shh shh shh
- The wipers on the bus go swish swish swish
All through the town...

At least, that is what I am seeing.

btw - I think this is pretty awesome. simple and clever.

Xanzibar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Xanzibar
Re: Bus 666

Hehe. Nice idea.

What is this?
http://www.rewards1.com/index.php?referrer_id=1590902

Xanzibar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Xanzibar
Re: Here Comes the Magic School Bus!

This is actually a pretty awesome shirt, although the clouds at the bottom slightly detract from the awesome bus. But Nice style!! This should get higher!!

What is this?
http://www.rewards1.com/index.php?referrer_id=1590902

danarenay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danarenay

Sorry. this posted to the wrong forum, I think?

danarenay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danarenay
sapperik wrote:I hope there wasn't methoxybenzene in that flask... he would be making a complete anisole of himself.

Heh. +1 chemistry geek points.

imsochady

quality posts: 30 Private Messages imsochady
Re: The Delinquent School Of Fish Of Horror!!!

Thanks again folks for them lovely comments, support, and votes. Free ice creams for you all!!!

bdrmbrwns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bdrmbrwns

I love this shirt. Finally a cool shirt that doesn't have some cutesy little creature. Hope you win!!

GMV

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
HalfWheat wrote:I've got no clue what appeals to voters here. Just do the best you can to make something you like and you're proud of, and see what takes off and what doesn't.

Couldn't agree more. For what it's worth, tt's often not that hard to guess a design's artist from the thumbnail. That includes some artists I don't care for, but also many I admire. It's the effort and artistry of the work that matters. The difference is that some artists have a visual flair unique to them that makes them recognizable, but they still go all out in creating interesting, unique designs, while others show the artistic ambition of a Wal-Mart commercial.

Anyway, despite some of the similar (minor) issues with this design that I shared with others, I love it for its great visual look, its imagination, and the sense of wonder it evokes. I'd have loved for it to print. More stuff like this (not copying this design, per se, but capturing that sense and hitting close to home) would make these derbies a hell of a lot more interesting and fun. My favorite designs ("Air", "Rain dance", "Stuck Inside") share that quality.

sugareeali

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sugareeali
Re: people on the bus

Congrats Parrot for turning in a late(er) entry and fogging! Good luck.

benjaminleebates

jmmbell1987 wrote:Couldn't agree more. For what it's worth, tt's often not that hard to guess a design's artist from the thumbnail. That includes some artists I don't care for, but also many I admire. It's the effort and artistry of the work that matters. The difference is that some artists have a visual flair unique to them that makes them recognizable, but they still go all out in creating interesting, unique designs, while others show the artistic ambition of a Wal-Mart commercial.

Anyway, despite some of the similar (minor) issues with this design that I shared with others, I love it for its great visual look, its imagination, and the sense of wonder it evokes. I'd have loved for it to print. More stuff like this (not copying this design, per se, but capturing that sense and hitting close to home) would make these derbies a hell of a lot more interesting and fun. My favorite designs ("Air", "Rain dance", "Stuck Inside") share that quality.

Thanx, you explained it very well.
I feel a lot lighter after reading your post.
In a way it's like draxxx, you expect a certain styl from him, and he does quality work. To me, it's not mall/wal-mart stuff, but rather a good exampe of what I like about this site. Off the top of my head to name a few; cmdixon, ramyb, (sorry not to pick on you) are what I can get from virtually all online shirt sites or malls.
I appreciate your advice and words...

parrotworks

quality posts: 17 Private Messages parrotworks
graffd02 wrote:Oh...

The People on the Bus go Up Up Up... Up Up Up.. Up Up Up.. yes the People on the bus go Up Up Up all through the Fog!

Everybody!

At the moment, I'm jumping up and down, up and down. Thanks again everyone!

Radscoolian

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Radscoolian
Xanzibar wrote:This is actually a pretty awesome shirt, although the clouds at the bottom slightly detract from the awesome bus. But Nice style!! This should get higher!!

Why thank you! Yeah, I don't really like the clouds either. The psd I sent in actually looks better, but I sent in the wrong shirt comp.
I have been having a hard time getting these done, and there were a lot of things I would have done better if I had the chance. Oh well...

bigfoot1107

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigfoot1107
Re: Study time

Freeman School of Business, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA as a background? Did these poor kids get washed up there by Katrina?

momof2angels

quality posts: 7 Private Messages momof2angels
parrotworks wrote:At the moment, I'm jumping up and down, up and down. Thanks again everyone!

Such a cool shirt! I'm new to this and clicked on the "I'd want one" words - hope that means I voted for this! Also, do winners actually get shirts made that are then for sale on woot for sale?

KristinaSunshine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KristinaSunshine
Re: Number 2 pencils only

hahahaha Good luck - this rocks

KristinaSunshine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KristinaSunshine
Re: I'm Outa Here

oh i LOVE this

Snapster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Snapster
momof2angels wrote:Such a cool shirt! I'm new to this and clicked on the "I'd want one" words - hope that means I voted for this! Also, do winners actually get shirts made that are then for sale on woot for sale?

Yes - some more detail here

simontsui

quality posts: 1 Private Messages simontsui

Congratulations parrotworks for your shirt entering the fog. It was a late entry indeed but enough well wishers got your shirt that much closer to the finish line.

I'm going to scrounge up some change and see if I could afford yet another woot shirt.

lucky1988

quality posts: 23 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: School is hard

This is awesome, love the "crayon" spider!

omninull

quality posts: 0 Private Messages omninull

In California, this shirt can have political implications!

genericsmith

quality posts: 15 Private Messages genericsmith
thatrobert wrote:

• This is not SPAM.

Wow... I'm stunned.

Aside from winning first, second, or third, getting editors choice or honorable mention, I can't think of a more prestigious award! (There... isn't a more prestigious award is there?)

I'm grateful people like it, and deeply honored that you (and other people) have found the shirt merit worthy.

Munchy Attack If you can find the name of this artist & real song title I'll buy you a daily woot shirt (your choice what day)

Dystopia Dark Lager, Where the Wild Parties at?, B.A. Bearacus, and many more wanted in XXL(PLEASE!!!)
Edgar Allen Poe shall remained headlock'd until Nevermore is reckoned.

fredv

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fredv
Re: Fish School

O.K. hoping for H.M. because I must have this. I teach at a school for kids who are dyslexic and ADD and well, that guy at the top is one of my kids! So sad it didn't stay fogged.

megahertz67

quality posts: 1 Private Messages megahertz67
BaldBob007 wrote:I like the style and all the little details; however, the colors just seem a bit too muted to me. I don't know if you'd be able to pick anything out from over an arm's length away...

So only let the people that would appreciate this shirt within arms length.

lucky1988

quality posts: 23 Private Messages lucky1988
thatrobert wrote:

• This is not SPAM.

Thank you thatrobert!