jasneko

quality posts: 32 Private Messages jasneko
shantelly77 wrote:I love this one so much! I am a newly graduated/certified music teacher and this shirt really speaks to me! I wish it was higher in the votes. I guess there just isn't enough band geeks out there!

Thanks, and congrats on your graduation/certification!
I didn't think this shirt would do fabulously, but I did somehow imagined that there would be a few more band geek wooters...but guess not!
Glad it speaks to some people though!: )

HalfWheat

quality posts: 18 Private Messages HalfWheat
papacrazyfoot wrote:can someone explain the whole incidental text thing? i'm sorry but this site often looks as though they reject anything that gets brought to their attention regardless or not if there's a legitimate concern.

It's text that's part of the design, but not necessary for understanding what's going on. So the numbers/letters on a deck of cards would be incidental most of the time.

"Stop" written on a stop sign would be incidental because you know a stop sign from the shape and color, and the word is just part of the design of the object.

Things in a thought balloon might or might not be incidental. If it's just an embellishment of what's going on ("OUCH!") it might be fine, but if the text is the punchline, then it's not incidental.

Some things are a judgement call as to whether the text is incidental or not, and that's up to Woot to decide. I doubt that they reject anything that's brought to their attention though, because I suspect there are people who tattle a heck of a lot.

parrotworks

quality posts: 17 Private Messages parrotworks
Re: Class Time Used Effectively

The fog is mighty..foggy.

All those years of school doodling have paid off with a beautiful, inspired entry!

The best of luck both this week and for future entries as well.

parrotworks

Re: That Was a Long Time Ago

Thanks for the opportunity to share the fog with you this week. Regardless of the outcome, your illustrations are both inspired and artistically well crafted. It has been an honor to run against you.

Good luck and as always, I look forward to your next entry.

parrotworks

Re: The Chemist

So my teenage daughter headed off to school today asking if she could get The Chemist when it prints. Can I ground her for that?

If there is one thing clear this week, it's we'll be seeing The Chemist in print.

Great design. Good luck and GMV.

jasneko

quality posts: 32 Private Messages jasneko
shantelly77 wrote:I had just commented on your marching band shirt and this is the next shirt that caught my eye and it is yours too! You have some good stuff for sure. I would totally buy this shirt in a heart beat. Very nice.

Sweet - thanks again!

I wonder with this shirts, if anyone has a similar interpretation I had in my own head, of the little bird on the bottom...

joynerCN

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joynerCN

Love it, love it, love it, will buy it.

But since there has yet to be a single negative thing said in this thread, I have to say this:

In the bottom middle, it looks more like the mom is picking her nose than saying "SSH!"

That is all Looking forward to buying it!

christoburp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages christoburp
re: the chemist

Yeah, I'm buying that one

tbug84

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tbug84
Re: people on the bus

I would pay double for this shirt also!

PixelPotato

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PixelPotato
Re: Ge-owl-ogy

I really like this one, the colors are great!

PixelPotato

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PixelPotato
Re: NERRRRRD!

I like the expressions

irisliliee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages irisliliee

Must get this for a certain Ph.D. in Chemistry individual I know...

nyren

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nyren
Re: Just concentrate... yeah right!

Darn - sad this one didn't win. It was my favorite design from this derby. Beautiful work, and wonderful color choice. I hope it at least makes an HM!

shantelly77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shantelly77
jasneko wrote:Thanks, and congrats on your graduation/certification!
I didn't think this shirt would do fabulously, but I did somehow imagined that there would be a few more band geek wooters...but guess not!
Glad it speaks to some people though!: )

Maybe it is the trumpet! You know how us woodwinds are, it is very hard to approve of the brass instruments! LOL!

timbobaggins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages timbobaggins
tbug84 wrote:I would pay double for this shirt also!

here's another guy willing to pay double.

papacrazyfoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages papacrazyfoot
eHalcyon wrote:Incidental text is text that doesn't "make" the design. That is, you could lose the text and it would still make sense. In this case, the whole design is BASED on the text - the numbers 6, 7 and 9.

As an example of incidental text, consider a bottle of glue. Now you wouldn't need to have the words "glue" on the bottle and it would still make sense, so that text would be incidental.

Ok but what is the relevancy of the rule. Is it there to serve any purpose or was it put into place because the author was attempting to justify their job. The numbers in this piece are actual personified characters. The most important thing in this is the interaction of these characters. If the rule makers can't recognize this how long will it be before personifications of animals or inanimate objects are outlawed for equally inexplicable reasons.
I mean if they were protecting their site against offensive images or copyright infringement or just limiting the shirts to things they can actually produce, I could understand. But random acts of censorship seem a little totalitarian for what seems like such a light and airy website.

imsochady

quality posts: 30 Private Messages imsochady
papacrazyfoot wrote:Ok but what is the relevancy of the rule. Is it there to serve any purpose or was it put into place because the author was attempting to justify their job. The numbers in this piece are actual personified characters. The most important thing in this is the interaction of these characters. If the rule makers can't recognize this how long will it be before personifications of animals or inanimate objects are outlawed for equally inexplicable reasons.
I mean if they were protecting their site against offensive images or copyright infringement or just limiting the shirts to things they can actually produce, I could understand. But random acts of censorship seem a little totalitarian for what seems like such a light and airy website.

Numbers are considered text. The design revolves around the numbers. Easy rejection. No matter how you fancy up a text, the main selling point of this design, then it's gone. Plus it's their site. They can reject whatever they want. Boom! Just like that.

dgbrownnt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dgbrownnt
joynerCN wrote:In the bottom middle, it looks more like the mom is picking her nose than saying "SSH!"

Hehe, darn, I can't go back to seeing "SHH!" now. I'll still buy the shirt, though

Xanzibar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Xanzibar
Re: Field Trip!!

Well thanks everyone for all the nice comments!! See ya next derby!!

What is this?
http://www.rewards1.com/index.php?referrer_id=1590902

ResidualChaos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ResidualChaos
re: that was a long time ago

I go back to college after five years on the 8th. This is definitely a "buy."

HalfWheat

papacrazyfoot wrote:Ok but what is the relevancy of the rule. Is it there to serve any purpose or was it put into place because the author was attempting to justify their job. The numbers in this piece are actual personified characters. The most important thing in this is the interaction of these characters. If the rule makers can't recognize this how long will it be before personifications of animals or inanimate objects are outlawed for equally inexplicable reasons.

The rule is there because it was part of the derby to begin with. The choices are that text is allowed, absolutely no text at all, or incidental text only. That's announced when the theme is announced. It's not an act of censorship, it's part of the game.

Jaiyla

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Jaiyla

This shirt is adorable, I truly would buy this in a second.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU

The relevancy of the rule is that with no text, people need to really be creative. However, with incidental text, a designer can add little text flourishes that might enhance a difficult theme. That is relevant because otherwise, people would do horrible text-only tees, most likely like whatever design you're upset about being axed.

binkdrop

quality posts: 8 Private Messages binkdrop
Re: A Hellacious Lot.

mshepker I hope you read this! This is a bit of a last ditch effort to contact you, as I sent you a couple private messages asking for a mailing address from you since you won the little game I had to guess the characters on my shirt for the derby. As a new derby starts Friday at 12, if I still don't have a response from you by then I'll have to send the prize to the second place winner.

If you see this mshepker or anyone else who knows him sees this please tell him to contact me asap! : )

DoublEE

quality posts: 8 Private Messages DoublEE

Great shirt!

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon

The most important part in the design is that the characters are numbers - otherwise there would be no joke and the (already tenuous) connection to the theme would be gone completely. Regardless of personification or anything else that is done to the numbers, it's still text at the end of the day. And since it's integral to the design concept, it does not get a pass as "incidental".

As others have mentioned, the text/no-text rules are just another part of the derby. Why do we have to follow the theme? Because there's a theme to follow. Why can't we have text? Because text isn't allowed. It's that kind of thing. Most derbies are "no text" and a few derbies are "incidental text". Very, very rarely, "text" is allowed in its entirety. But very rarely.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

lyoth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lyoth
Re: Class Time Used Effectively

look badass really want this shirt.

HalfWheat

eHalcyon wrote:The most important part in the design is that the characters are numbers - otherwise there would be no joke and the (already tenuous) connection to the theme would be gone completely. Regardless of personification or anything else that is done to the numbers, it's still text at the end of the day. And since it's integral to the design concept, it does not get a pass as "incidental".

As others have mentioned, the text/no-text rules are just another part of the derby. Why do we have to follow the theme? Because there's a theme to follow. Why can't we have text? Because text isn't allowed. It's that kind of thing. Most derbies are "no text" and a few derbies are "incidental text". Very, very rarely, "text" is allowed in its entirety. But very rarely.

In the end, the shirt got rejected for text because it was the easist rejection. (In case anyone lost track of the one in question, it's the shirt where the numbers personified the joke that six was afraid because seven ate nine,) However, if it wasn't rejected for text, it had a pretty tenuous connection to the school theme.

xxchange

quality posts: 44 Private Messages xxchange
Re: Just concentrate... yeah right!

Aww. I woulda bought this. Oh well.

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 8 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 7 Pink, 2 Eggplant

Last 12 of 90: The Cake is a Liar Remix - Pink, Fat Unicorn Remix - Pink, Mon Petit Chou, Campicorns, I hope you brought a lot of baggies..., Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror

spoodles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spoodles
Re: The real reason they're the primary colors

this didn't get in the top 3? watch the HVS peeps!? this is funny and clever...no it isn't high-brow like the recent 'winners' but it will actually sell since it's engaging. it's a t-shirt, not an artistic slant of life in our times...get over yourselves...only t-shirt buyers should be allowed to vote, not unemployed art school students

arpayton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arpayton
SkekTek wrote:I think this is a definite. If anyone has some suggestions for edits prior to spreadshirthood, feel free to PM me.

excellent. I figured this wouldn't do well here. That whole "art" thing. keep me/us posted then.

Maudlin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Maudlin
Re: people on the bus

While I'm happy for the derby winner, I'm very sad this shirt didn't win. This is a popular song in our household and I was all set to get up and order a few of these for us. Sigh. Hope it gets printed somehow.

parrotworks

Maudlin wrote:While I'm happy for the derby winner, I'm very sad this shirt didn't win. This is a popular song in our household and I was all set to get up and order a few of these for us. Sigh. Hope it gets printed somehow.

We still have a chance for 2nd or 3rd place! Check anytime tonight after 10pm (PST) or tomorrow after 10pm (PST)

Thank you!

iriginal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iriginal

I LOVE this shirt. I'm a teacher (and a fan of your shirts, I wear Devil in the Details quite often) and I can't wait to get this! Awesome work, thanks!

mitch35883

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mitch35883
parrotworks wrote:We still have a chance for 2nd or 3rd place! Check anytime tonight after 10pm (PST) or tomorrow after 10pm (PST)

Thank you!

I will absolutely be checking back. Truly a great idea for multiple reasons. Dieing to get my nephew one!

PabloPalmeri6837

quality posts: 2 Private Messages PabloPalmeri6837

Bought it

kingconan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kingconan
Re: Everything I Need

oh man! i would have bought this one!

deanypop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deanypop
parrotworks wrote:We still have a chance for 2nd or 3rd place! Check anytime tonight after 10pm (PST) or tomorrow after 10pm (PST)

Thank you!

I'm so torn on this. The PERFECT shirt idea, ruined with the babies and mommies. I don't think the modern lyrics even have mommies. The baby graphic is also, well, a bit too indistinct. It only falls in line once you're already singing the tune, and only because you can figure it out from the lyrics.

I've got a 17 month-old, and have been showing this around a baby club this morning. Pretty much universal on the above review.

Throwing in some of the odder lyrics (have some cake comes to mind) may have helped.

Anyway, if those two blocks were somehow "fixed", at least to be made much clearer as IMAGES (the mommies box, for example, has nothing "mommy about it", could just be anyone shushing...), then I'd buy a dozen. It's so exactly on the cusp of perfect, it's frustrating.

Krzysztof

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Krzysztof

ajmander

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ajmander
SSchwartz wrote:can anyone say "teacher from the black lagoon"? or am i the only that read that...

yes i know those books. There is a whole series. Teacher from the black lagoon, principal, nurse, bus driver. I had and read them all when i was younger.

This was also the first thought in my head when i saw this design

shirt.woots: 6