kagreeley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kagreeley

826! ohhhhhhhh. i get it.

THANK YOU! it all makes sense now. that post was quality.

Autarctic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Autarctic
veit0036 wrote:So...is someone going to explain this shirt, to all of us that don't get his humor? Just plain befuddled...

Me too I am completely lost on to why this is funny/good/ironic ect can anyone explain.

january

quality posts: 41 Private Messages january

coincidence woot is also selling a roomba? i think not!

peppersagooddog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peppersagooddog

i dont think woot sells enough robot shirts.
srsly.

matthew

quality posts: 20 Private Messages matthew
veit0036 wrote:So...is someone going to explain this shirt, to all of us that don't get his humor? Just plain befuddled...

See, it's a picture of a robot.

micarmod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages micarmod

.23 seconds to first woot? Only a robot could make a purchase that fast.

homeschoolwinner

quality posts: 4 Private Messages homeschoolwinner

I don't think it was meant to be funny or punny or anything like that. I think it's just robot themed.

"Love is the meaning of life, Life is the meaning of love" The Rutles

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ

OMF G!!!! woot is tring to brag on this designer.... ok, he/she won awards... fine. still woot gets the bottom of the barrel when it comes to designs. OM F G!

this design is lam3.
just came from the movies. " hangover"

the pictures at the end are worth the price of the movie!!

idrivea911

quality posts: 4 Private Messages idrivea911
hooplife33 wrote:Wow! I can not believe that Woot got Chris Ware to design a shirt. He's an absolute genius. I'm in for 2.

if he was really a genius, you'd be in for 3

peppersabaddog

quality posts: 1 Private Messages peppersabaddog
matthew wrote:See, it's a picture of a robot.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you rock.

deadlyblonde

quality posts: 6 Private Messages deadlyblonde

His head looks like one of those ooooooooooold cameras they used back in the day of the old West and such...

Maybe the one making up the robot's head would be a first gen digital cam?

yourefired

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yourefired

to those of you that do not "get" this shirt or artist....

YOURE FIRED

PJLime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages PJLime

Holy Cow! Congrats on getting Chris Ware to design a shirt!

swhorl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages swhorl

As much as I usually like Chris Ware's art, I find this terribly underwhelming.

BoredStiff

quality posts: 13 Private Messages BoredStiff

I wish I knew the Wareabouts of the designer so he could tell me Ware I should Ware this shirt.

danielvutran

quality posts: 16 Private Messages danielvutran

The inside joke is that soon all robots will take over the world and everyone you know and love will be gone.

At least that's what I got out of it.

google me lol

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad

Wow! I'll wear this with robotic pride.

swhorl

Now that I think about it, I'd have liked this sooo much better if he's done it as the cut-out "blueprint" sheet to create the robot. (Am I making sense?)

See here:
http://www.niemworks.com/else/acmetoys.html

Specifically:
http://www.niemworks.com/else/im/acmetoys/robot06.jpg

- - - - - - - -
Actually, this shirt makes sense to me now. I just pulled my copy of Acme Novelty Library no. 1. This robot was the "toy" printed on the back cover, that you could create. (I'm trying to find a picture to link to.)

The shirt doesn't show it with the lunchbox.

mecos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mecos

i kind of like it. except it's too big on the shirt. the shirts on here are pretty thin and that's a lot of ink.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
danielvutran wrote:The inside joke is that soon all robots will take over the world and everyone you know and love will be gone.

At least that's what I got out of it.

They do sort of look like the FotC robots.

The humans are dead!

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

homeschoolwinner

quality posts: 4 Private Messages homeschoolwinner
eHalcyon wrote:They do sort of look like the FotC robots.

The humans are dead!

Did they use poisonous gases?

(I'm sorry I couldn't resist)

"Love is the meaning of life, Life is the meaning of love" The Rutles

nautical9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nautical9

swhorl nailed it, it's from one of his comics. Best I could find (turn your speakers down): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba8ivPRROfw

swhorl

nautical9 wrote:swhorl nailed it, it's from one of his comics. Best I could find (turn your speakers down): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba8ivPRROfw

Exactly! That's what I'm talking about.
In the comic, Jimmy also daydreams about being the robot.
I haven't read these in such a long time, I've forgotten these things.

Smaugrens

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Smaugrens

Despite the guy's credentials, I don't like this design.

swhorl

Also...
How much is "the artist's proceeds?"
Is it any more than what derby winners receive?
Since I don't want the shirt, I think I'll just go and drop them a little donation.

JadenKale

quality posts: 179 Private Messages JadenKale
swhorl wrote:Also...
Since I don't want the shirt, I think I'll just go and drop them a little donation.

$1k plus $2 per every shirt sold after the first day.

eHalcyon

swhorl wrote:Also...

The same amount goes to daily prints as to derby prints*. It's a $1000 flat payment for the first day, and then $2 per shirt sold after that.

*there is a second contract option for dailies that cuts payment in half in exchange for the rights back after a given period of time.

Edit: ninja'd! Speaking of which, I'm debating getting the new ninja shirt but I'm still waiting for Grande Elusion. When the latter gets printed (it's pretty much a guarantee, right?) I'll also pick up the ninja shirt if my size is still in stock. Hmmmm. Sorry for going so off-topic.

JadenKale

quality posts: 179 Private Messages JadenKale
eHalcyon wrote:
Edit: ninja'd!

<--- master... right here, baby!

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
eHalcyon wrote:The same amount goes to daily prints as to derby prints*. It's a $1000 flat payment for the first day, and then $2 per shirt sold after that.

*there is a second contract option for dailies that cuts payment in half in exchange for the rights back after a given period of time.

Edit: ninja'd! Speaking of which, I'm debating getting the new ninja shirt but I'm still waiting for Grande Elusion. When the latter gets printed (it's pretty much a guarantee, right?) I'll also pick up the ninja shirt if my size is still in stock. Hmmmm. Sorry for going so off-topic.

You mean on Threadless, right?

I'd say Grande Elusion is a pretty safe bet to print. It's absolutely amazing, and scored way high, and was a collab between two people who have been very successful this year. I'd be surprised not to see it print. Probably soon, even. So you might be able to score both.

But yeah. way off topic.

brendan948725

quality posts: 39 Private Messages brendan948725

I'm very wary about purchasing this shirt. I'm inclined to believe I'd be more likely to be struck by lightning with these robots made primarily of metal on my shirt. This has got to be a safety hazard.

*MOST RECENT WOOTS!*

• Random Crap
  • Light Blocking Curtains and Rod
  • HP Deskjet Wireless

• 20 Woots! (5 Bungled Original Communicator)
  • 27 Shirts!
  • 5 Sellouts!
  • 2 Homes!
  • 1 Sport!
  • 2 Techs!
  • 1 Wine!
  • 1 Accessories!
  • 2 Pops!

eHalcyon

AdderXYU wrote:You mean on Threadless, right?

I'd say Grande Elusion is a pretty safe bet to print. It's absolutely amazing, and scored way high, and was a collab between two people who have been very successful this year. I'd be surprised not to see it print. Probably soon, even. So you might be able to score both.

But yeah. way off topic.

Yeah, on Threadless. I kind of rambled off topic due to a combination of using the word "ninja'd" and my own inordinate level of exhaustion tonight. By the way, thanks for blogging about Grande Elusion. I don't keep up with Threadless entries so it's all on you, sir.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
eHalcyon wrote:Yeah, on Threadless. I kind of rambled off topic due to a combination of using the word "ninja'd" and my own inordinate level of exhaustion tonight. By the way, thanks for blogging about Grande Elusion. I don't keep up with Threadless entries so it's all on you, sir.

it should stand to reason, then, that you'll read all about it when it prints. I'm good for that ;)

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
ewtye wrote:The past two designs have been for the guys. I just cannot picture myself wearing robots!

This statement is illogical. This does not compute.

Robots are for everybody.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
eHalcyon wrote:Of course not! I'm Canadian!

You're still American. NORTH American.

hell, isn't Canadia a state yet?

alfadog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alfadog
Chris Ware is kind of a big deal. . .

ITT, Woot trolls.

More than usual, that is.

alfadog
white trash philosophizer

ledzeppelin588

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ledzeppelin588

Chris Ware is an Omaha native to all fellow Nebraskan wooters. I saw Chris Ware give an artist talk at the Sheldon at UNL two or three years ago, and it was hilarious and interesting. I already own enough shirts (70+) but decided this one's worth getting.

harle85

quality posts: 6 Private Messages harle85

I don't get it. What a boring/ugly shirt.

jenniem2000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jenniem2000
Autarctic wrote:Me too I am completely lost on to why this is funny/good/ironic ect can anyone explain.

I'm a volunteer at 826michigan, and as you probably surmised from the blog post, our store is called Liberty Street Robot Supply & Repair. It is, IMHO, the MOST AWESOME robot store in the world!! "Onward Robots!" has become the catch phrase for this little operation, used for everything from sign-offs on volunteer emails to the name of our illustrious kickball team.

We run all kinds of wonderful programs for students ages 6-18: free tutoring in pretty much any subject, free fun workshops on everything from screenwriting to animation camp to poetry at Hogwarts to Michigan Science Theater 826 (check out the website for more on that one!), free support for teachers and students in their classrooms, etc. Did I mention free?? The students we work with have published amazing work in amazing volumes that we sell right there in the store. The whole program is really quite something.

I don't speak for 826michigan in any official form, I'm just excited about it! But for more about what we do to support students with their writing skills, and to check out some offerings from the robot store, please visit the website at 826michigan.

You can also donate right there online--as if buying this shirt wasn't already enough! Thank you!

sixpointtype

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sixpointtype

The robot is a character from some of Ware's earlier work in The Acme Novelty Library. Quite a coup Woot, Chris Ware is a stone cold genius!

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

I've been trying to figure out why the robot is wearing wooden dutch clogs.