eric06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eric06
Re: i eat babies

is there away to vote for this

Mitohapa

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Mitohapa
nerdgod89 wrote:Sorry, should have phrased it better.

The losing artists should stop trying to beat ramyb by complaining he beats them too often, and instead, practice more to win head-to-head in the derby.

I think we try, but to be honest, there's only so much we can do.

studio1172

quality posts: 0 Private Messages studio1172
Re: A Clue?

Magenta did the dirty deed and throwing Blue into the fire. Dirty, dirty Magenta.

studio1172

Re: They Pick On Me

This is fun!

One thing though, I had a similar design for . . .hmm . . which derby? Eh, doesn't matter, I didn't submit it because I couldn't get a pattern I liked on the dolls.

Boots, how many times have I told you to stop going through my discarded ideas and making them better? I really have to lock my office.

Tienes mi voto!

studio1172

Re: I want to be Blue

HOLY scaffolding, that is one huge goldfish or one very tiny blue whale!

That would be awesome to have a tiny blue whale to sing me to sleep. Maybe Jewels guitar playing whale could start a band with the tiny blue whale and live in a tank in my house. That would be sweet! Of course this is all assumption that the guitar playing whale is also tiny.

Great design!

wormsweater

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wormsweater
Re: come away from the blues

THis is great!

wormsweater

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wormsweater
Re: Deep Blue Sea

It's ralley geud!!

ChristopherDamage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChristopherDamage
wormsweater wrote:THis is great!

Thank you so much. I love the shirt as an outlet for my art. It's what gets me jumping out of the blues, which is what this shirt represents.

omnitarian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages omnitarian
Re: the bluejay blues

Whoa, nice stuff.

stargirl6878

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stargirl6878
yankeebird wrote:I just had to come admire this again. I think my favorite part is that, just for you, woot is apparently going to offer striped button-up polos. That's pretty special.

lol...me too...had to come appreciate it again...

jumcdona

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jumcdona
Re: Dance of the Deceased

Please get this printed elsewhere and keep us updated. People will buy this shirt to wear even if it's not Halloween. I know I will.

joelterrific

quality posts: 21 Private Messages joelterrific

Staff

Re: Color to your world

I'd love to hear the 'blue' connection here from the artist. Otherwise, I'll be sending the rejectorator.

joelterrific

quality posts: 21 Private Messages joelterrific

Staff

Re: Van Gogh's Witching Hour

I'd love to hear the artist's justification for this being on topic.

wootasourous

quality posts: 119 Private Messages wootasourous
Mitohapa wrote:I think we try, but to be honest, there's only so much we can do.

The only thing you can do, is take advantage of the times when Ramyb and Seki don't enter into a derby.

The only thing about that is, when they do not enter. It is usually the same people winning over and over again.

Ramyb and Seki have the winning mindset in this. They appeal to the masses. The masses that vote for their shirt are the only people that they really need to appeal too, and I don't blame them for doing it.

Like I have said before, if something works, go with it.

It's the same reason most people do everything they do in life.

If an inventor has a brilliant idea that would sell to millions of people, why wouldn't they do it?

Presidents get elected the same exact way. They appeal to the masses and change what they do to make MOST of the people happy. Nobody will ever be 100% happy. That is impossible.

faultylogic83

quality posts: 2 Private Messages faultylogic83

Rejected because: Classy and off topic.

Classy indeed

wootasourous

quality posts: 119 Private Messages wootasourous
joelterrific wrote:I'd love to hear the artist's justification for this being on topic.

Blue... paint...? Of course that makes on topic. :D

faultylogic83

curse you rejectionator

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
Re: The Fix

Well this was an experiment and I think it went well. 262 votes in then terminated. The thing is that this isn't really breaking copyright because as I stated before, round eyes like those shown can't be copyrighted due to previous art standards (also his pupils are dilated and uneven in size). The rest of the image can be interpreted in several different ways. I was not showing a mouth or body (which is what the character in question is immediately recognizable by) and the image could very well be a blue spider (cobalt blue tarantula) cartoon image that enjoys cookies.

With the other BLATANT copyright infringing images that have been printed lately though that don't even try to hide what they are I am upset by not surprised.

Please vote for my remaining (original) concepts below and thank you for your support.

Earth Juice

Cloudy...chance of rain

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb

Nevermind- I don't want to get into this argument.

sekiyoku

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku
joelterrific wrote:I'd love to hear the 'blue' connection here from the artist. Otherwise, I'll be sending the rejectorator.

The whole purpose of the design is that there is a lifeless gray world and the bird, which contains color (blue), is being born into it. It is relevant to the theme because it focuses on the color. 'And whether you interpret the word "blue" in the subject matter, or make your design a study in the color blue, is up to you.'

Please remove the rejection. You posted this here but gave me only 5 minutes to respond before rejecting it anyway. What was the point of doing so?

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
joelterrific wrote:I'd love to hear the artist's justification for this being on topic.

Not that I'm the artist, but I don't really understand why you would choose this derby to start being harsh with rejections, when the description even gives the option not to take blue as the subject matter in the way it is written.

faultylogic83

I agree with Adder to a point. I'd personally like to see more edeitor's choice throughout the week to highlight more talented works (such as this). Unfortunatly more votes go towards cute animals or towards jokes that don't always translate to shirts. Either way I'm sure something like this has a better chance of surviving ONE reckoning unlike any of the ones that have premeired during the weekdays of the past few weeks.

Great Job Draxxx, truly awesome.

HalfWheat

quality posts: 18 Private Messages HalfWheat
tjost wrote:Well this was an experiment and I think it went well. 262 votes in then terminated. The thing is that this isn't really breaking copyright because as I stated before, round eyes like those shown can't be copyrighted due to previous art standards (also his pupils are dilated and uneven in size). The rest of the image can be interpreted in several different ways. I was not showing a mouth or body (which is what the character in question is immediately recognizable by) and the image could very well be a blue spider (cobalt blue tarantula) cartoon image that enjoys cookies.

With the other BLATANT copyright infringing images that have been printed lately though that don't even try to hide what they are I am upset by not surprised.

Please vote for my remaining (original) concepts below and thank you for your support.

Earth Juice

Cloudy...chance of rain

Hmmmm...this was cute, but copyright is a weird thing. You don't have to be in violation in order for an alleged infraction to be expensive. It might depend on how likely it is for a company to sue.

Honestly, though, if I ruled Woot (IIRW) I'd probably veto any depiction of characters that anyone recognized. Just because I'm mean that way. And even I knew who this was and I'm generally clueless about kids' programming.

As far as why this was rejected and there are others still standing, it may be a matter of time, or Woot may have decided there's enough parody for them to remain. Or maybe some are so unlikely to print that they aren't too concerned.

faultylogic83

Blue's Clues hasn't done anything new since 2006. Steve left the show in 2003.

It gets a chuckle, but at this point is dated and irrelevent. Can't imagine wearing it.

taninniver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taninniver
Re: Blue Moon

Thanks for all the comments and the votes, guys! I had fun drawing this one and I'll be hanging on to it.
I'm still pretty new at this, so it's encouraging to be getting the positive feedback.

L3g3ndQ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ
Re: The Fix

why is it that this shirt was rejected but the blues clues, smurfs, lemmings, and any blues brothers reference hasn't been rejected???

i don't think this is very fair and it kinda looks like woot is playing favorites again.

avhienda01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avhienda01
IndependentVik wrote:Great placement, and I love the cartoony style you used to render the birds. Sort of Disney-like, but old school Disney, before it became Satan's Own Media Company.

Thank you! I really appreciate that because I'm a big fan of old school Disney animation.

HalfWheat

quality posts: 18 Private Messages HalfWheat
L3g3ndQ wrote:why is it that this shirt was rejected but the blues clues, smurfs, lemmings, and any blues brothers reference hasn't been rejected???

i don't think this is very fair and it kinda looks like woot is playing favorites again.

One of the Blues Brothers entries was rejected, and the other one has bluebirds in suits, so that's pretty clearly a parody. A reference isn't enough for rejection, Woot has to feel that it's a risk of copyright infringement.

I would suspect that they aren't done rejecting yet, but we won't know until it's over.

Hyshion

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hyshion
Re: Blue Moon

This is beautiful

CrescentDebris

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CrescentDebris

I don't speak up about most things on here but I take issue with why this was rejected. I really don't care who does what or whether a design is great or a big steaming pile. I don't care if you love or hate the artist or design. I personally don't get into the whole politics and drama. I just like rules to be followed by the artists and by the people in charge. I hate seeing designs break rules and win, and I hate seeing legit entries rejected.

I understand NO TEXT rejections because its plainly stated in the rules. I wish USE OF VECTOR PACKS was cause for rejection but putting aside any hatred you have for the artist or the design, why was this rejected?

The reject statement says "So this contains the color blue, but that's the only reference I see."

Fair enough. I don't see any other references to "blue" either...but what did the rules say? Did the rules say that you needed more than one reference to BLUE? I didn't see that part in the description. Please show me. And if you can, I'll gladly say I was wrong and this should be rejected. I didn't vote for it nor was I going to buy it or make money off of it. My whole point for speaking up is for the principle of the whole thing. The theme isn't "The Blues" or "Feeling Blue". How can you have a description for the theme that says:

"Are we talking about the color of light with wavelengths of roughly 440–490 nanometers?" ... "Yes, all of it and more. Any shade of meaning of the word "blue" you desire is fair game this week."

and then reject something that centers around the color blue? The way the derby description is written, "the bird being blue" is all it has to be. There are designs centered around blue berries, blue birds, blue whales... so why not this bird that is emanating blue? If he was sad, then would it have been ok? If he was playing the blues would that be ok? If being "blue" or playing "blues" is whats required, then the other elements of using an animal or plant with "blue" in its name or the color "blue" are completely irrelevant. And if those are the only uses of the word "blue" that should have been used then the derby description should have specifically said "Your design should center around the feeling of being BLUE or center around musical style of THE BLUES and should not center merely around the color of light with wavelengths of roughly 440–490 nanometers."

AlastorX

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AlastorX
Re: Color to your world

Okay I was so excited to buy this shirt I should have figured someone would find some reason to reject it. All of the top four just have the color blue. I don't see the logic in rejecting this one. The humming bird just has the color blue and it's not rejected.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
w00zle wrote:Should anyone named John Henry change his name? More likely that the artist came up with this on his own b/c of the universality of the analogy. Find something else to do with your time, you're not the Gordon Ramsey of art.

I have no idea what that song was. Had to google it. But yeah, frozen heart on fire... that's sooooo copyrighted by some obscure band nobody's ever heard of.

Kidgoldstein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kidgoldstein
L3g3ndQ wrote:why is it that this shirt was rejected but the blues clues, smurfs, lemmings, and any blues brothers reference hasn't been rejected???

The shirt image needs to be a parody. Those other images are parodies... where as this one is not making light of the Cookie Monster. If perhaps the Cookie Monster was injecting himself with Cookie Dough to get his fix... then that would be a parody. (Though, I don't think Woot would print it). It's the same reason why Weird Al can rewrite any song (provided a humorous outcome) without the original artist's approval and make millions performing the songs. Also, it's why Mad TV and SNL do not get in trouble parodying other shows, songs, and movies.

Again this one isn't really making light of the cookie monster, it just incorporates something funny that the cookie monster does.

At least that's what I was able to learn from Entertainment Law.

<insert something witty>

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
sekiyoku wrote:The whole purpose of the design is that there is a lifeless gray world and the bird, which contains color (blue), is being born into it. It is relevant to the theme because it focuses on the color. 'And whether you interpret the word "blue" in the subject matter, or make your design a study in the color blue, is up to you.'

Please remove the rejection. You posted this here but gave me only 5 minutes to respond before rejecting it anyway. What was the point of doing so?

You know, I've never particularly been a fan, but she's 100% right here. How is a blue bird off-topic in a week where the theme stated that doing a color study was an option? It's a bluebird, that's at least as on-topic as Blue's Clues.

BaldBob007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BaldBob007
wootasourous wrote:The only thing you can do, is take advantage of the times when Ramyb and Seki don't enter into a derby.

The only thing about that is, when they do not enter. It is usually the same people winning over and over again.

Ramyb and Seki have the winning mindset in this. They appeal to the masses. The masses that vote for their shirt are the only people that they really need to appeal too, and I don't blame them for doing it.

Like I have said before, if something works, go with it.

It's the same reason most people do everything they do in life.

If an inventor has a brilliant idea that would sell to millions of people, why wouldn't they do it?

Presidents get elected the same exact way. They appeal to the masses and change what they do to make MOST of the people happy. Nobody will ever be 100% happy. That is impossible.

It is very true that Ramy and Seki have a winning mindset. They pander to the masses. In doing so, they are not creating "art"; they are creating a "product". Do they have talent? Absolutely, they are able to manipulate pixels in a way that I can only dream about at this stage.

People keep saying that the majority of complaining is due to jealousy. And that is true; but not for the reason they think. We are not jealous of the wins and the money they receive. We are jealous for artistic integrity and woot's guidelines. It raises ire when these are consistently ignored, and yet the offenders are rewarded.

You are trying to tell us to follow their example? That's telling us to stop being artists and sell out.

There are many real artists with integrity that I respect in this community. I value the constructive criticism I receive from them. I'll keep doing what I do, and try to grow as an artist. If I don't make money, that's fine, at least I'll feel good about myself.

darkkish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darkkish
Re: Blue Orchid

This isn't sad or even blue, and the bird isn't playing a saxophone or a bass. There is a blurry blue flower behind it. I like this shirt design but if the other shirts break the rules, than this one does even more than the others. Stop playing favorites, and reject this one, or bring the others back. I'd prefer the latter.

databit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages databit
Re: Two generic suits just on display

Thank you everyone for the support. It was a fun run while it lasted. I never expected it to go so far.

There is an awesome shirt about the blues brothers:
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=34990

/Yes it was a trace and it did not deserve to be printed, but it was awesome being in the top 10 for a while.

dsglaser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dsglaser
Re: Fish Turns Blue

Blurg ... it seems that my sense of humor may be too advanced for this site

scarchin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scarchin
faultylogic83 wrote:Blue's Clues hasn't done anything new since 2006. Steve left the show in 2003.

It gets a chuckle, but at this point is dated and irrelevent. Can't imagine wearing it.

faultylogic indeed!

Draike

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Draike
geekfactor12 wrote:You know, I've never particularly been a fan, but she's 100% right here. How is a blue bird off-topic in a week where the theme stated that doing a color study was an option? It's a bluebird, that's at least as on-topic as Blue's Clues.

It's not a bluebird, though. It's a bird that happens to be blue. If this bird was a Blue Jay, or an Eastern Bluebird or even a Macaw, and not some might-be-a-pheonix-we're-not-sure random bird, then it probably would have stayed.

However I do agree with those who stated that there are other "just blue" entries that need to be rejected. You can't single this one out without taking down the others that are also violating the same rule.