CarnivalNights

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CarnivalNights
Re: Orange You Glad To See Me

The blue clouds just don't look right with the shirt's background color.

shirtoffmyback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shirtoffmyback
Re: Sac Le Blue Owl

Comments anyone? Pls

dankstick

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dankstick
Re: Pride and Joy

This derby is about blues isn't it?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus
Jamezz93 wrote:Why is everyone so critical of shirts like this? Maybe it's not your personal favorite, but you can't deny that it has artistic ability. I can't believe there's such a big fuss over ramyb's work, when just about anyone could draw a 1-dimensional video-game reference shirt relating to any given derby theme and win, but few have this level of artistic ability.

You're joking, right? Right? .... Right?!?!!

(By the way, a shirt can't have artistic ability.)

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
Re: The Fix

New design coming in just a bit.... and yes it's parody

ChristopherDamage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChristopherDamage
Re: come away from the blues

I really got a lot of inspiration from the "Fantastic Mr. Fox" movie trailer. It may be the very best movie...ever. It looks like it. Cross your fingers. If it turns out to be as inspirational as the trailer, then move over "Dark Crystal"!!!

sumosahilattack

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sumosahilattack
Re: Color to your world

I don't see why this was rejected over other designs. I was looking forward to buying this one.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
Draike wrote:It's not a bluebird, though. It's a bird that happens to be blue. If this bird was a Blue Jay, or an Eastern Bluebird or even a Macaw, and not some might-be-a-pheonix-we're-not-sure random bird, then it probably would have stayed.

My issue is that the design is pretty straight-forwardly about the blueness of the bird, something that seems to be clearly allowed in the rules. I'm baffled that it was ever rejected.

While I know a lot of people dislike certain artists or voting patterns, I think this contest is a much more enjoyable place to compete when the rules are the same for everyone and are enforced equally across the board. In this instance, that does not seem to be happening.

pers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pers
cindyscrazy wrote:When I first saw the thumbnail, I thought it was a fetus (didn't spell that right, I know)
:-)

You did spell it correctly and I feel the same.

I couldn't wear this (or vote for it) because it looks way too much like a fetus. I love the style, the colors, the concept and appreciate the nod to Picasso but I'd feel like a bad ad wearing this.

BaldBob007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BaldBob007
Radscoolian wrote:Yah, this is the first time I've tried something like this. I don't think it would print very well, but I don't think anyone has to worry about it printing at all.
It wasn't all that hard to do. I just downloaded some photoshop brushes at www.brusheezy.com, lowered the opacity and flow of my brush in photoshop, and painted in different layers with similar colors (blue, light blue etc.)
Then I changed each layer to halftones by changing the document from RGB to a bitmap using round halftone pattern at 20 dpi.
If you need more help, let me know

I love the texture as well, the mood and story are intriguing. The only suggestion I would have is making the composition edges a little less boxy with the fog/mist billowing and the waves splashing out... But, I still love the illustration and would wear as is!

sei

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sei

i like to move it move it, you like ta move it!

Re: Night of the Blue Eyed Lemurs

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: Bluer than Blue

"C" is for celery, the dog got fixed and Daddy needs a new pair of shoes. No wonder they're "Bluer than Blue!"

sei

great colors! pops in my eye!

Re: Deep Blue Sea

omnitarian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages omnitarian
Re: Dance of the Deceased

This rejection is stinks.

truffleshuffle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle
joelterrific wrote:I'd love to hear the artist's justification for this being on topic.

Well, here it goes. When I read the theme and was thinking of "blue" art themes I couldn't get that opening lyric from Don Mclean's song, Vincent/Starry Starry Night, out of my head:

"Starry
starry night
paint your palette blue and gray

look out on a summer's day
with eyes that know the
darkness in my soul."

I finally figured that nothing typifies blue better than that piece. Not only the swirling blue and gray palette of the artist, but also the artist's feelings as he was painting it. The song hints at the darkness in his soul at being isolated and misunderstood by the art world, and obviously he later committed suicide. I tried to put a twist on this by making another "dark soul" (the witch) paint another canvas blue and gray, but this time instead of a literal canvas, her canvas is the night sky itself. Vincent has always been one of my favorite songs and has lent a sort of melancholy "blueness" to Starry Starry Night for me. I wanted to maintain that, but make it a little darker too. So there it is. That's my explanation. Thanks for giving me the chance to explain myself!

dianabosworth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dianabosworth

I'm the happy bird pretty much every morning... and I have a grumpy bird to remind me how annoying I can be. Love the design, the concept, and everything about this shirt. GMV, thanks.

tjost

Re: The Binge

Well I guess my last one didn't have enough parody this is all parody. What could have driven him to such lows.

sei

great idea!

Re: Earth Juice

tjost

Re: The Fix

New design posted with 100% more parody

The Binge

BaldBob007

shirtoffmyback wrote:Comments anyone? Pls

It's hard to give meaningful feedback with the compression issues you have there. Please make sure that you upload your jpegs at 240x240px for the design detail and 580x580px for the shirt comp.

tjost

Re: The Binge

Now with 100% more parody. What could have driven him to such lows...

tjost

I agree, I got one of my comps knoked out and I understand why but while I don't like this art it shouldn't have been rejected. The hummingbird and numerous other ones should be kicked then too, btw I reposted a design to make up for the kicked one. Now with 100% more parody

The Binge

PixelPotato

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PixelPotato

Finding out this got rejected makes me very sad.

tjost

Disregard that last post, here's the correct one. Please please revote. Thanks

The Binge

glacierice16

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glacierice16
tjost wrote:Now with 100% more parody. What could have driven him to such lows...

lmao!! this is amaazzzingnggg!!! i love it. GMV !!! vote for this one people.

icymallard

quality posts: 4 Private Messages icymallard
carouselonmars wrote:strange that some here would like to 'fix' the voting system. do you hear yourselves? corrupt much?

'supervotes' that 'force you to buy'? voter senority?
effin balderah.
this won't make woot, or anything else better.

the remedy for this growing complaint is simple. the winning artist should not be allowed to enter in the following derby.

it reduces the amount someone can make in a year by half, but it gives more artists a shot.

and it's better than ego-driven supervotes.

whoa hey, i believe u just called me corrupt...

it was an idea, maybe u dont love it but no need to try and hurt my feelings...

and im just trying to stop the people who vote for shirts they dont buy. that is all.

BaldBob007

sekiyoku wrote:The whole purpose of the design is that there is a lifeless gray world and the bird, which contains color (blue), is being born into it. It is relevant to the theme because it focuses on the color. 'And whether you interpret the word "blue" in the subject matter, or make your design a study in the color blue, is up to you.'

Please remove the rejection. You posted this here but gave me only 5 minutes to respond before rejecting it anyway. What was the point of doing so?

Agree. Bad call by the rejectionator. I sincerely hope this gets reversed and you get your votes back, Seki.

jel2301

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jel2301
Re: Blue Balls

Although you did a decent job of pictorially describing your point, this will soon fall victim to the rejectorator.

jel2301

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jel2301
striker138 wrote:Blue ribbon. Such a simple idea. This shirt is for anyone who wants to be a winner!!

Even though he didn't invent that style of hand, he's made it woot-famous, so this reminds me of thatrobert's Best Loser award.

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
Kidgoldstein wrote:It's the same reason why Weird Al can rewrite any song (provided a humorous outcome) without the original artist's approval and make millions performing the songs. Also, it's why Mad TV and SNL do not get in trouble parodying other shows, songs, and movies.

Just a quick clarification, Al _could_ do parodies without the permission of the original artists, but he never does. He's a class act that way

icymallard

Re: A Clue?

Our Movie Genre mr salt is dead?

tjost

Re: They Do Not Like Us

Not to be a downer but didn't you just have a green eggs and ham shirt print here back on June 7th, seems a bit repetitive. I liked the other one you did better, this one tried to be Seusian but didn't quite make it.

DTurd711

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DTurd711

Assuming this is a phoenix, who the heck says a phoenix can't be blue? Phoenixes are associated with fire, and flames are blue if they burn hot enough. Essentially there was no thought put into this rejection. There have been more than enough intelligent arguments to legitimize the design. Don't make me lose my faith in the Woot democracy!

icymallard

Re: BANJO BROTHERS

i like this fresh style. i want it rite now!!

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: Night of the Blue Eyed Lemurs

Beautifully executed!

binkdrop

quality posts: 8 Private Messages binkdrop
DTurd711 wrote:Assuming this is a phoenix, who the heck says a phoenix can't be blue? Phoenixes are associated with fire, and flames are blue if they burn hot enough. Essentially there was no thought put into this rejection. There have been more than enough intelligent arguments to legitimize the design. Don't make me lose my faith in the Woot democracy!

The artist, Sekiyoku, actually already addressed whether it was a phoenix or not, saying "It's not specifically supposed to be a phoenix". It is still a blue bird though of some sort,on a blue shirt, but I just wanted to let you know that the phoenix route wasn't quite what she had in mind.

picasserole

quality posts: 0 Private Messages picasserole
blammoed wrote:So I realized I'd forgot to put strings on the guitar.. d'oh. The new version also has some other detail fixes, different placement and different colors.

Your comments and votes much appreciated.

Here is a larger image.

Don't even need the larger image to decide and for what it's worth blammoed, I'd wear this with pride( first time I've said that about a design in 4 years ). I predict you're gonna do well hereabouts( hopefully sooner than later ). Best of luck with your subs;]

uncchris

quality posts: 6 Private Messages uncchris
Re: Blue, Its whats for dinner

I'm disappointed to see this got rejected. I know it didn't have many votes and wasn't going to come close to winning, but it deserved to survive. This shirt is completely different in style and execution than the one on threadless.

The "spicy meatball" shirt that won the other day was almost identical to one that was submitted in a previous derby. Two executions (one based on realism, one based on flora-centric parody), but they were rooted in the same one concept (Mario being eaten by a piranha plant). Somehow, that got printed and this got rejected.

Obviously uniqueness of concept isn't necessary, or that shirt would have been rejected too. I wonder why this one didn't also survive.

binkdrop

quality posts: 8 Private Messages binkdrop

I really enjoy your drawing style, and I do enjoy the specific blues you chose for the colors, and I like how you've depicted all the characters....

....but...

It made me a little sad inside to see that you, too, played into the Cookie Monster, Blues clues, and sonic public appeal factor. You always do such nice work, and you have here as well, but it still made me just the teensiest bit sad.

rjpulse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rjpulse

I love the concept and how that blue feeling permeates the characters... lol...