tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
DrkRonin wrote:See.. this is just wrong. I work at sesame place.. if this wins.. hehe.. i wonder if i can wear this for my new uniform..

yes i know its sad that i admitted working in that place...

There's nothing wrong with working there, I always wanted to be a muppeteer and I can with great pride do almost all the original muppets voices (well too I might add). You never get quite such a big reaction when you sing rainbow connection or being green in kermits voice at a karaoke bar... now I've shared too much

samjack56

quality posts: 0 Private Messages samjack56

Bring this shirt back up in the votes, there's no basis for rejection. It is the color BLUE, which is what this derby is all about. So tell me: how does this shirt NOT fit into this derby?

hookemhorns212

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hookemhorns212
AdderXYU wrote:
And really, it doesn't matter why woot rejected this. Woot got it right. No one with any true investment in this site wants to see more of this win.

Amen.

swellodell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swellodell

Well done. The joy of a parody is cleverness. Any jerk complaining: If you wore this shirt I guarantee you'd get questions like “Where did you get that awesome shirt?!” and a dozen compliments... Hell, maybe people would finally even like you.

swellodell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swellodell

Great drawing, but....You took all the cute entries and made them your own. Come-on, be original! you could have at least thrown in one more character *you* thought of.

bonerbob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bonerbob
Re: The Binge

love it, 2 the top

fablefire

quality posts: 23 Private Messages fablefire
IndependentVik wrote:Well, ok, I'll put a more charitable spin on it. It's a well-done, cute illustration that doesn't make much sense as a shirt design anymore. Blue suede shoes? The turtle is into Elvis?

I hope you can rework the turtle and bring him back in a future derby, fable, b/c there really is something lovable about the little guy.

If you have an idea for him let me know (even if you just want him with the red shoes like you mentioned in the other thread, sans hedgehog). I can tweak it and put it up on MySoti for you without waiting for a new turtle-friendly derby theme.

@ iim - As for what's on topic, woot has shot themselves in the foot this week. Seki's bird was the only blue thing in the entry. The only blue thing in "A Clue" is a blue paw print. Are murder scenes generally blue? If it's acceptable to reference a blue character, then my previous Sonic reference should've been on topic. I would say this version is at least as on theme as the Blue Orchid, because the item in my image is a pair of Blue Suede shoes. The Van Gogh imitation is also not blue-themed, except for colors used, nor are at least a dozen other entries I can think of off the top of my head.

I think both versions are on theme. Woot is Woot though. Who is to say what they'll think is on theme? ;)

Also thanks to those who supported both the last version and/or this version. =)

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

I liked the other shirt, but I find this version of cookie monster a little creepy for some reason (I think it doesn't look the head shape I'd imagine so it doesn't really look like him to me), but I do find the shots of milk pretty funny! Nice job with a redo of the idea!

tjost

jasneko wrote:I liked the other shirt, but I find this version of cookie monster a little creepy for some reason (I think it doesn't look the head shape I'd imagine so it doesn't really look like him to me), but I do find the shots of milk pretty funny! Nice job with a redo of the idea!

That was intentional (the head part, and he actual has shoulders which cookie monster doesn't have), I didn't want to give them any leverage to reject this one

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple

Haha! This is such a cute parody. I love the fur. You did a great job on this one. GMV

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple
Re: I want to be Blue

Your line work and color use are superb. I love how the blue shines against the goldfish's orange color. Beautiful!

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: Live Music

nice work!

tjost

Re: Bluer than Blue

I like your style, unfortunately I think this is going to suffer the same fate as my first go at the monster The only thing I would say is that you took an internal Woot discussion and debate and made a shirt of it, so while it's well done, it doesn't make since to those outside the derby...

Kaliam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kaliam
re: bluer than blue

lol blues clue; cookie monster and sonic!

iWoot

fablefire

quality posts: 23 Private Messages fablefire
Re: Soul Food

Really really awesome and cute. Would like it better if the pie crust was a blue hue though, so that it was all in sort of ghostly hues.

wootcarebear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootcarebear

Haha. Love this.

Duddles86

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Duddles86

The bird in this is cool but not on topic. The flower looks like a... and doesn't fit with the design. I can't believe this lasted when the blue bird one that looked better got rejected. I hope that something displaces this one from the fog. At this point I am tempted to vote for any shirt that is close just to try to kick this one out of the fog.

lucky1988

tjost wrote:I like your style, unfortunately I think this is going to suffer the same fate as my first go at the monster The only thing I would say is that you took an internal Woot discussion and debate and made a shirt of it, so while it's well done, it doesn't make since to those outside the derby...

True this may be rejected, but I don't understand your statement of "taking an internal woot discussion and debate and made a shirt out of it."

What I did was interpret the theme "Blue" and designed accordingly to fit the theme. The concept being all three characters are first of all blue in color and in addition they are "blue" or sad emotionally because of their individual circumstances or shortcomings. I think it's enough of a "parody" (put my own spin on the character design)and pretty "knock-over-the-head" self-explanatory to the average person, but then again that's shirtwoot's decision.

LonChaney

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LonChaney

...and now I feel bad about the pie I just baked. Awesome.

tjost

lucky1988 wrote:True this may be rejected, but I don't understand your statement of "taking an internal woot discussion and debate and made a shirt out of it."

What I did was interpret the theme "Blue" and designed accordingly to fit the theme. The concept being all three characters are first of all blue in color and in addition they are "blue" or sad emotionally because of their individual circumstances or shortcomings. I think it's enough of a "parody" (put my own spin on the character design)and pretty "knock-over-the-head" self-explanatory to the average person, but then again that's shirtwoot's decision.

I understand what your saying, but are you telling me the characters selected weren't in the least bit influenced by what was being submitted at the time? I saw it as an inside joke, thats all.

littlejonny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages littlejonny
wootasourous wrote:I see the similarities. But it is a different take on the idea. The blue screen of death isn't literally trying to kill the guy in your design. Your design shows a peeved off guy, where as Ramyb shows the computer actually trying to kill the guy.

Maybe it might be a little too close for the rejectionator, but I think they are different enough.

Ok ya I agree its different enough for it not be rejected just thought it of it as a similar design.

lucky1988

tjost wrote:I understand what your saying, but are you telling me the characters selected weren't in the least bit influenced by what was being submitted at the time? I saw it as an inside joke, thats all.

Pop culture, video game and cartoon references have been popular subject matter for quite some time in the arena of T-shirt design. There's a hundred different ways "to skin a cat" so to speak, and this was the concept I came up with.

And to answer your question, believe it or not, no, I wasn't influenced by what was being submitted at the time. I had an idea involving these characters from the get go, and evidently so did many others. A fellow designer even messaged me an idea using one of the characters in a design. There's over 6 billion people on this planet and it would be extremely presumptuous of me to think an idea was exclusively and originally of my own creation. But then again, my mind is always open and receptive to new ideas and creative influences around me and will continue to work in that manner.

lafiremedic

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lafiremedic
Re: B.O.C

First design. LOL its the Blue Oyster Cult.

parrotworks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages parrotworks

The true fate of cookie monster is much worse.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/174545/june-19-2008/cookie-monster

icymallard

quality posts: 4 Private Messages icymallard
Re: i eat babies

awww it got rejected...

anyways just to let u know, this was my #1 pick for the derby even if it wasnt fog bound.

inspirational to say the least...

icymallard

Re: Blue Fish

i like ur design, but its on a shirt color i am trying to avoid for now...

looks pretty good though

icymallard

hahaha, i Get it.

id definitely buy 1 for myself..

icymallard

Re: Compositional Blues

ur drawing of the shirt is better than whats on it.

hananoheiwa

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hananoheiwa
omnitarian wrote:This rejection is stinks.

Yes, evidently they had a wide open derby idea and then changed their minds.

wgfcrafty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wgfcrafty

NameyMcName

quality posts: 10 Private Messages NameyMcName
Re: Either I have the blues, or my kidney is missing.

This seems like something that would happen in Der Struwwelpeter.

Olympic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Olympic
Re: Blues Glory

This is really fantastic

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
Re: I love my new blue suede shoes

shouldn't he/she/it have four shoes?

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
snarkygal wrote:I MUST HAVE THIS SHIRT! LOLOLOLOL I don't think I have ever said that about a Woot shirt, especially a Derby shirt, but this is perfect for me.

Please tell me if you take it somewhere else after 60 days and have it printed.

I'll let you know, Snark. I'll probably submit it to Goodjoe after 60 days.

BootsBoots

I love the idea of this one.

jodiehuie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jodiehuie
Re: Panik Shirt

This is so great! Thanks for starting my day with a smile and a renewed determination to resist.

BootsBoots

HujoeBigs wrote:While I was browsing your gallery of t shirts, you seem to have one that looks exactly like this, the one in the third row to the left, just on a different shirt color and the last one looks angry instead of sad. I dont know but something about that seems a bit off to me.

That's my portfolio. Those designs I've created, most of which have never been printed anywhere.

coastermom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coastermom

I'm trying to decide if this would be inappropriate to buy for my 8 year old.

BootsBoots

Re: Bluer than Blue

This is great, Lucky. I love the blues and a spot of red and green that you used. And for the record, I don't see this as a sell-out piece at all. The parody is very apparent and it's really well done, artistically. Slapping some pop culture references on a shirt is something I don't like. Taking pop culture references and doing something clever with them, I love. And that's what you did.

stingray69

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stingray69
Re: Negative Bob

Ooh, I just realized that genavanrooyen is right. That should be a thought bubble over Negative Bob. I didn't even notice that it wasn't.