Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian
Re: The Old Blue Whale

This is great. I love the painterly look. I tried that approach this week, but I was not nearly as successful as you. Who knows, If enough of the entries get rejected, you may print!

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
tjost wrote:Well I think it survived the latest rejection trimming, so my worry now is this. If this prints I'm afraid I won't get one for me Seriously I thought it would do well but all yesterday I just kept clicking refresh and the count continued to climb. Over 400 votes in under 24 hours. Thanks again everyone for the support!

When this wins, you get 3 free ones of your shirt, and you can get them after the first day- So you can enjoy the sellout, then get your shirts the following day if you miss it :P

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
joelterrific wrote:I guess we were due for one of these misunderstood themes. The thought was to get people to riff on the color blue or the concepts surrounding blue, not to simply makes shirts that contain the color blue.

I hope the frustrated designers out there realize that every so often the themes will not be easy. We'll shoot to be consistent, but this will be subjective. If there appears to be a connection to 'blue' we'll allow it.

What I mainly don't understand is why some people got 3 days to explain their designs and others got 5 minutes. I can't help but feel that certain rejections this derby were more about quelling the vocal minority and less about concern for the thematic nature of the designs or fairness. Just a thought.

skirochester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester
Re: The Binge

love the milk shot glasses. way better than the original. congrats on the (soon-to-be) winning idea & design!

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
genavanrooyen wrote:I love this shirt! I do think it would be "more true" if Negative Bob's was a thought bubble instead of a speech bubble.

Cute idea, but I agree with this - a thought bubble would make it way more applicable to real situations.
I think it's funny how it looks like the birds are wearing bloomers or something=)

darkkish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darkkish
Re: Blue Orchid

Why would you ever remove entries that have been in the fog for half of the length of the derby? People are obviously planning on buying them.

warerare

quality posts: 0 Private Messages warerare
tjost wrote:Well I think it survived the latest rejection trimming, so my worry now is this. If this prints I'm afraid I won't get one for me Seriously I thought it would do well but all yesterday I just kept clicking refresh and the count continued to climb. Over 400 votes in under 24 hours. Thanks again everyone for the support!

What time do the shirts usually go up for sale, I really want one of these.

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
ramyb wrote:When this wins, you get 3 free ones of your shirt, and you can get them after the first day- So you can enjoy the sellout, then get your shirts the following day if you miss it :P

Cool, I couldn't find anything in the FAQ's that said that about the shirt. The problem is if I have to buy at 15 if it sells out half my pay on it will go to getting them for my family also this is a side question but how do you do the mark up in a message to have images in a separate frame. I want to put some images in my text without having them stacked? Help is appreciated

tjost

warerare wrote:What time do the shirts usually go up for sale, I really want one of these.

10:00pm Pacific on Thursday is what it seems for me

Altheahelaine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Altheahelaine
darkkish wrote:Why would you ever remove entries that have been in the fog for half of the length of the derby? People are obviously planning on buying them.

Or reject things for not being blue enough when they said that it was any interpretation of blue.

I live, I learn, and so aid my end while I believe I'm winning

flatpickerd28

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flatpickerd28
re: pride and joy

Need some silver conchos on the hat, right?

cindyscrazy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cindyscrazy
Re: A Clue?

The first thing I thought when I saw Blues Clues for the first time was "Wonder who Steve cheesed off to get this punishment of a role?"

Looks like he might have cheesed Blue off too L0L

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"--from a T-shirt

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cindyscrazyknits?ref=si_shop

paxetaurora

quality posts: 1 Private Messages paxetaurora
mikenytola wrote:A Blue Orchard is a real thing, so it is sticking to the theme. It does not need to be about only the "blues" in a music sense. If it were a random flower that was colored blue then you would be correct and it should be rejected.

Not to mention that hummingbirds (the type of bird depicted here) are highly attracted to blue. There are some gross stories out there about hummingbirds trying to suck the eyes out of blue-eyed people, I swear to God.

watching the films Woot...MAJORLY dropped the ball rejecting this one, even more so than sekiyoku's. As a fan of both flowers and the White Stripes (see their song "Blue Orchid"), I would have been in for one of these.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
tjost wrote:That was intentional (the head part, and he actual has shoulders which cookie monster doesn't have), I didn't want to give them any leverage to reject this one

Ahhh ok. Makes more sense why you did it, and it definitely looks less like cookie monster because of it... in fact he looks a little bit like he could be harry monster (hairy monster? not entirely sure of his name) because of the shoulders. Still, smart I guess, to add the shoulders then, though a bit creepy;)

kender42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kender42
Re: I love my new blue suede shoes

Ok this is getting insane. How can you reject this one when it clearly uses blue? Be more specific in your rejections.

While not the BEST use of blue it certainly wasn't terrible. That is why we vote is it not?

jSchlock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jSchlock

HalfWheat

quality posts: 18 Private Messages HalfWheat
tjost wrote:BTW guys I just want to mention how much I appreciate all your votes and supports. This is my first time submitting designs to Woot and I couldn't have asked for better support on all my pieces (well I could but then I would be a prick) Thanks again.

I'm normally not a fan of shirts with known characters, but this is well done, with humor that goes beyond the character itself. Even if you had no clue who the blue guy was it would make sense, which is what's missing in some of the other parady shirts where if you don't know the original you absolutely don't get the joke. Obviously, someone has overindulged. I hope he finds a good 12-step program.

ressamac

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ressamac

Nicely done! I must admit I have felt this way occasionally when watching the same thing 5 times.

rglee129

quality posts: 27 Private Messages rglee129

Great changes. The before and after for this design is the prefect example of unlicensed merchandise vs. parody. A rule of thumb I use is (disregarding quality of execution) "Would the producers of said character ever make something close to this shirt?" If "yes" then it's just unlicensed merchandise. I can imagine licensed merch like the old version of this shirt, but def. not like the new one.

Regardless, there are a TON of unlicensed merchandised shirts floating around these days. Woot got pretty close with the Mario shirt last week- I'm glad to see them take a step back by rejecting the old version of this one.

ressamac

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ressamac
databit wrote:Thank you everyone for the support. It was a fun run while it lasted. I never expected it to go so far.

There is an awesome shirt about the blues brothers:
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=34990

/Yes it was a trace and it did not deserve to be printed, but it was awesome being in the top 10 for a while.

Thank you, databit! I guess we all love our "soul men".

raevynpheather

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raevynpheather

Please explain how this shirt is on theme?

tjost

rglee129 wrote:Great changes. The before and after for this design is the prefect example of unlicensed merchandise vs. parody. A rule of thumb I use is (disregarding quality of execution) "Would the producers of said character ever make something close to this shirt?" If "yes" then it's just unlicensed merchandise. I can imagine licensed merch like the old version of this shirt, but def. not like the new one.

Regardless, there are a TON of unlicensed merchandised shirts floating around these days. Woot got pretty close with the Mario shirt last week- I'm glad to see them take a step back by rejecting the old version of this one.

I agree, like I said on the old design after the rejection, it was more of an experiment to see where Woot would draw the line. I saw that the subject matter was very popular so then I made a "real" shirt, I just didn't expect it to be as popular as it is.

laughtrack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laughtrack

It's good enough for me...

HalfWheat

joelterrific wrote:I guess we were due for one of these misunderstood themes. The thought was to get people to riff on the color blue or the concepts surrounding blue, not to simply makes shirts that contain the color blue.

I hope the frustrated designers out there realize that every so often the themes will not be easy. We'll shoot to be consistent, but this will be subjective. If there appears to be a connection to 'blue' we'll allow it.

FWIW, I'm not a designer, but I understood what you were going for. Either a theme related to the word "blue(s)" as in the musical style, having the blues or some other meaning of the word, OR it should be "a study in blue" which, even as a non-artist, seems pretty clear to me. If the piece doesn't focus on the blueness, then it's not a study in blue, it's a design with some blue in it.

I understand why you rejected the items you did for the most part (and there will always be some judgement calls that people will disagree on) but what I'm puzzled by is why you haven't rejected more than you did. Particularly at the bottom of the pack, there are plenty of things that are not "a study in blue" and yet they remain. And then you have artists who are upset that their pieces are rejected while others are still standing.

For example (and not to pick on any particular artists) you had two dandelion-related designs, and rejected one of them. I don't see any reason why one of those two is good while the other is bad in terms of the theme.

On the other hand, there are two (or maybe three) entries that are basically cloud patterns. One is white clouds on a blue shirt, where the other clouds are white and blue. The white clouds on a blue shirt doesn't seem like a study in blue, but the ones with blue shading do fit the theme.

Even though those lower-ranking pieces have no chance of printing, in the name of fairness, I think Woot should look at every piece and reject the ones that don't fit the theme or are rejectable for any other reason.

It's a common complaint that rejections aren't fair, and I agree. Not that the ones that you make are wrong, but that you leave in a lot that should have been rejected. And then later, people are confused about what is rejectable, because they can point to dozens of designs that weren't rejected, but probably should have been, in previous derbies. And the artists that should have been rejected continue making the same mistakes over and over.

If the rejections were more consistent, I think there'd be fewer complaints about fairness, and I think the derby entries would improve as well.

cuddlygator

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cuddlygator
truffleshuffle wrote:Tehe, this is very simple but I like it. It's got sort of an XKCD feel to it.

OH MY GOD YES!!!! ***starts "asking" her XKCD reading friends to sign up for woot! so they can vote for this shirt too***

rudyrudell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rudyrudell
graffd02 wrote:Looks like your the only one playing... :D

K here's the full List:

Mario's Turtleshell
Buffy's Slayer's Axe
Thor's Hammer
Doctor Who's Sonic Screwdriver
Yoda's Lightsaber
Cloud's Buster Sword
The Litch King's FrostMourne
Ninja Gaiden's Ninja Star

awesome, thanks for the info, those last few were bugging me!

Altheahelaine

Re: blueberry pie rats a la mode

I have pet rats so this makes me warm and fuzzy on the inside.

avhienda01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avhienda01
Altheahelaine wrote:This is so amazing and fantastic and.. great!

Thank you so much!

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
raevynpheather wrote:Please explain how this shirt is on theme?

The green egg and ham have the blues because they're green.

Liam911

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Liam911
tjost wrote:Isn't this from a animation and drawing book. I seem to remember these characters when I was taking animation.

Yeah it is, from Animation 1.

Liam911

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Liam911
Re: Van Gogh's Witching Hour

Nice work, how do you do the glow effect? I see that on a lot of the shirts here just not sure how to do it. Is there a tutorial for it?

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Glad to see this doing really well. I think it's one of the few entries this week that I could actually see on a shirt. Has a nice Threadless type of feel to it. Well done.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

This is definitely night and day from the first version. Nice job.

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988

Thanks for the support BootsBoots and Altheahelaine, although it's "swing and a miss" on this one. Maybe I'll try to find a different home for it.

Altheahelaine

Re: Night of the Blue Eyed Lemurs

I have a decent amount of shirts that are 'backlit', that is to say that the design is illuminated like this in the middle of the shirt- if that makes any sense?

Anyway, I love it!

HalfWheat

Liam911 wrote:Yeah it is, from Animation 1.

Just FYI, that's also grounds for rejection. If it's not something original, you have to be able to prove to Woot that you have the license to use the art commercially.

But also, it's the same as the one they already rejected for theme, right?

Altheahelaine

Re: Deep Blue Sea

I saw this thumbnail and I almost didn't care what it was because I hate hot pink but love royal blue, but I can make an exception here because the two colors look really wicked together.

HalfWheat

lafiremedic wrote:First design. LOL its the Blue Oyster Cult.

Those are scallop shells, though.

Blue Scallop Audience. Hmmmmm....

jlaatsch36

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jlaatsch36
darknomad23 wrote:Yo.
I really dig the design.
You should try getting this out there by other means if you dont get in on this derby, though i hope you do.

keep it up

Thanks. And I am. I am looking at some local printers right now. I didn't expect to win. I really wanted to get some of my drawings out there.

slhampel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slhampel
Re: It was nothing, really.

Uh oh...looks like Mr. Blue Jay has been caught canoodling with Mrs. Cardinal. Shame on him for shrugging it off.

Cute idea.