jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Soul Food

This is a great idea! Unfortunately I didn't "get" it completely at first when I looked at it earlier...I didn't get that those were blueberry souls basically (just thought they were souls in general). I think a slight tint of blue in the ghosts would really help that come across faster.
Speaking of... also, doesn't the design have to be on a blue shirt? I think it would also help the design too, on navy?
Anyway, great idea, I think it just needs some tweaks for it to really shine!

kdubbs29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdubbs29
Re: Blue Moon

The texture of the rain/sky is very interesting and complex. However, there is nothing else about this that does anything for me personally. Would not wear it.

IrishLass622

quality posts: 5 Private Messages IrishLass622
Re: The Blues

This would make a beautiful tattoo!

jasneko

tjost wrote:Thanks your cloud one is cool, blueberries don't look good on me though

Thanks! Though I think blueberries can look good on everyone;)

ressaler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ressaler

hey ramyb,

So I started to look at your work, and although your shirts do not particularly appeal to me (I'm a guy who'll buy designs that are more patterns than graphics), I must say you are quite talented.

I feel bad for people that comment about your work saying it's all the same or that you just do it for the money.

first off, most of MY designs all look very similar in style OR I do re-format and recycle my designs for different derbies. They're not very good but I'm learning slowly....

Secondly, don't let anyone tell you your not an artist because you would like to make money. Shakespeare was commissioned to write. Many great artists work has come from a competition level or some kind of backround where it wasn't about quality, it was about knowing what the public will want.

I commend you for keeping up with your woot public. and you really have a knack for designing shirts.

it erks me that people can be so mean on these threads. but of course it is the internet, so anonymity will do that...

asr

JustJiggles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JustJiggles
soyokazefuhen wrote:Aww, Adder has tools in his toolshed now!

Best Post Ever.

dpbowl842

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dpbowl842
rglee129 wrote:Great changes. The before and after for this design is the prefect example of unlicensed merchandise vs. parody. A rule of thumb I use is (disregarding quality of execution) "Would the producers of said character ever make something close to this shirt?" If "yes" then it's just unlicensed merchandise. I can imagine licensed merch like the old version of this shirt, but def. not like the new one.

Regardless, there are a TON of unlicensed merchandised shirts floating around these days. Woot got pretty close with the Mario shirt last week- I'm glad to see them take a step back by rejecting the old version of this one.

All rejections regarding copyright problems should quickly point a finger in this general direction

My 2 pennies.
I love this shirt, my nephew will freak when he sees me wearing it.

dpbowl842

Re: Soul Food

Love it.
That is all.

Altheahelaine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Altheahelaine
ressaler wrote:hey ramyb,
I feel bad for people that comment about your work saying it's all the same or that you just do it for the money...
..it erks me that people can be so mean on these threads. but of course it is the internet, so anonymity will do that...

My own personal beef about ramyb might not even be so much a problem with him as it is with woot- his designs escape rejection and go ahead and get printed while other designs get whacked to the floor for not following the same rules. I don't know if ramyb and woot have some evil partnership, I don't know if woot just doesn't care, I don't know if woot is biased or just allows it because ramyb's shirts often sell out and place on the reckoning chart, but for whatever reason it is it bothers me nonetheless. No one, no matter how well liked or who they are should be above the rules and that is one big thing that really gets me. If all the designs I loved every derby got fogged but broke or bent the rules, I would still have the same stance, it is not a personal hate on ramyb or
whatever.

However, you are right, there is no reason for nastiness and it is obviously not working, anyway.

I live, I learn, and so aid my end while I believe I'm winning

illuminator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator
Re: Bluer than Blue

Our Movie Genre I love this why isn't this higher?!!!

footefoote

quality posts: 0 Private Messages footefoote

fable said:
The only blue thing in "A Clue" is a blue paw print. Are murder scenes generally blue? If it's acceptable to reference a blue character, then my previous Sonic reference should've been on topic.

i say:
the difference that i see is that the character referenced in "a clue" is actually named 'blue'. ya know, 'blue's clues?' it's a cartoon with a dog named blue.

that's what i got.

octopai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages octopai
marzipanapple wrote:Agh, you're right. I'm really having a lot of problems with my pc/tablet's monitor. I wanted to make it pop off the shirt, but it really just looks kind of odd.

Thanks for the tip. I may resubmit if I can get it fixed real quick.

I think this is just adorable!

I had an idea somewhat similar to this last night and sketched it out. Concept is not so similar, no blueberries or pie but the execution with the ghosts is. Would you mind me submitting it when I am finished? I can post it here :O

ryano1124

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ryano1124
AdderXYU wrote:No one with any true investment in this site wants to see more of this win.

I'm not real sure what this means Adder.

IncurableHumanist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages IncurableHumanist
IncurableHumanist wrote:I really hope this fogs, it's prolly my fav design in the derby

ooooh, slowly but surely!!!!!

brkak132

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brkak132
Re: Riding the Cosine Wave (2)

what's with the squiggly at the end of the wave? that's probably the only thing i don't like about this shirt...

brkak132

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brkak132
Re: i eat babies

woooow, this shirt is hilarious... i would buy one if this ever prints...

octopai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages octopai
Altheahelaine wrote:My own personal beef about ramyb might not even be so much a problem with him as it is with woot- his designs escape rejection and go ahead and get printed while other designs get whacked to the floor for not following the same rules. I don't know if ramyb and woot have some evil partnership, I don't know if woot just doesn't care, I don't know if woot is biased or just allows it because ramyb's shirts often sell out and place on the reckoning chart, but for whatever reason it is it bothers me nonetheless. No one, no matter how well liked or who they are should be above the rules and that is one big thing that really gets me. If all the designs I loved every derby got fogged but broke or bent the rules, I would still have the same stance, it is not a personal hate on ramyb or
whatever.

However, you are right, there is no reason for nastiness and it is obviously not working, anyway.

Best post ever. I completely agree with you. Facts are facts, or what designers and voters are perceiving as facts in these derbies, not biased, angry criticisms. I don't believe Woot is being fair, not because I've never won myself, but because that's the way it seems in their random pattern of rejections.

studio1172

quality posts: 0 Private Messages studio1172
jasneko wrote:Haha, aw cute that your mom called you Sad Sack, and cute design!

Thanks Jasneko for liking it!

I have appreciated all the support that this little design has gotten! You guys rock my socks!

joelterrific

quality posts: 21 Private Messages joelterrific

Staff

Re: A Clue?

While a stretch, this at least dealt with the word "blues." It's pandering to be sure, but seems to come from the very wide interpretation of blue.

joelterrific

Staff

Re: A Clue?

While a stretch, this at least dealt with the word "blues." It's pandering to be sure, but seems to come from the very wide interpretation of blue.

joelterrific

Staff

Re: The Binge

I'm always glad when a resubmission gets the same (or in this case more) love than the original. I get the 'blues' from this as a broken, broken muppet. And I always thought it wasn't easy being green.

dpbowl842

Re: No Free Lunches!

Wouldn't buy it but I love the art.

joelterrific

Staff

Blue Moon, it's a common phrase so I get it.

sakleehop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sakleehop
Re: Electric Blue

I remember Woot printed a shirt similar to this entry already: It Was A Dark And Stormy Night...

joelterrific

Staff

Re: Van Gogh's Witching Hour

This is definitely on the more conceptual tip, but I'll give that Starry Night is a study in 'blue.' This interpretation is a little bewildering, but I'll accept that it came from an interpretation of the theme.

joelterrific

Staff

Re: They Do Not Like Us

Man, this is so on the edge for me. Color and Seuss go hand in hand. While I think this is a super stretch. I'll give that the color blue is in play.

joelterrific

Staff

Re: Negative Bob

Bluebird of Happiness. I get it as a play on that.

studio1172

quality posts: 0 Private Messages studio1172
Re: Bluer than Blue

I love all the cookie monster designs in this derby! I really love your style. Your designs are always top notch! Best of luck!

joelterrific

Staff

Re: I want to be Blue

I got the 'big blue' concept here. Admittedly a bit abstract, I think the blue whale and a concept around that works.

joelterrific

Staff

Re: The Old Blue Whale

Blue Whale again. It passes.

joelterrific

Staff

Re: Earth Juice

They call it the Blue Planet and by they I mean producers at the Discovery Channel. Oceans=blue, it's very close, but I'll pass it.

joelterrific

Staff

Re: Night of the Blue Eyed Lemurs

Sclater's Blue Eyed Lemurs are a thing at least. Nothing I'd ever heard of, but a thing nonetheless and I'll buy that it was inspired by the color blue as the theme.

joelterrific

Staff

Re: They Pick On Me

I get it, she's got the 'blues.' And who wouldn't life as a nesting doll seems soul crushing to me.

joelterrific

Staff

Re: Mission From God

The Blue Brothers reference pains me, but it's on topic.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

fablefire wrote:
@ iim - As for what's on topic, woot has shot themselves in the foot this week.
I think both versions are on theme. Woot is Woot though. Who is to say what they'll think is on theme? ;)

Here's my personal take on this controversial week of rejections. I think they are trying to reject things where the blue is inconsequential or highly secondary to what's going on in the design. Regarding some of your points:

- With the Blue's Clues one, the fact that the paw print is blue is completely critical to what's being presented. Any other color and the parody would not makes sense.

- The fact that the hatching bird is blue isn't really consequential to the rest of the design from a visual or conceptual standpoint. It could literally be any color of bird. I can see someone claiming my own entry with the lemurs could fall under this category. My own reasoning for why it doesn't is that I chose a very specific blue related animal and tied the blues of the eyes in with the blues of the night sky. I think in my entry this mash up of different blues works as a "study in the color blue" as described in the rules. This is a subjective call of course, but I think the color blue is front and center in that design. With the orchid one the blues are literally a background element and the primary focus of the design (the hummingbird) is unrelated to blues.

- As far as the Sonic/Turtle entry, the fact that Sonic is blue is not what the design is about in any way, it's about Sonic's fast shoes. I think Ramyb's (?) design where a hedgehog is painting himself blue would have not been rejected because it's actually dealing with the color itself as the topic. I don't think the issue is referencing a blue character, it's referencing a blue character without making a comment about his/her/it's blueness, whether it be their color itself or that the character is sad or depressed (like the Cookie Monster one)

- I do agree about the witching hour design, I don't see any kind of reference to blue other than the color being in the design.

Looking at what's been rejected I personally feel woot could stand by each one as not having to deal with the color blue specifically. I would agree there are more up there that could be rejected on these grounds though.

joelterrific

Staff

Re: The Breaks

The Ocean again...it's borderline, but skirting with being on topic. What I liked about this more than it's topic-ness was the feeling that the theme inspired a departure for Radscoolian. Not particularly easy to quantify for the rest of the designers, but these abstract themes are my way of shaking things up a bit. For better or worse.

joelterrific

Staff

I'll undoubtedly regret this as it will generate more debate than settle anything, but I've commented on the Top 10 (or so) designs in hopes of clarifying my perceived insanity. I really am trying to keep this fairly wide open as my hope is that the theme would be arguable if not obvious.

Let's see if I curse the day I let you people into my brain.

truffleshuffle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle
Liam911 wrote:Nice work, how do you do the glow effect? I see that on a lot of the shirts here just not sure how to do it. Is there a tutorial for it?

The glow is created with what are called halftones. Just google halftone tutorials for Photoshop or Illustrator...or at least that's what I did. I think there are several out there. This is actually my first shirt.woot design using them so I'm glad you approve!

Floridafighter66 wrote:i deff do like this design, however, is there a theme or message behind using a witch? it is to make sure it isn't rejected for "too similar to Starry Night" or something?

Well...this might be long winded but here's exactly how the design came to be. A while back I had an idea for a Halloween design called "Revenge on Salem" with a witch standing next to a hanging tree looking down at a village in a valley (her back to the viewer, perhaps markings from the noose on her neck). Then this blue theme came along and, as I explained above I really wanted to do something with Starry Starry Night because of that song quote. I needed a twist though because I obviously couldn't just reproduce a famous piece of work and ever hope to pass it off as my own original design. I thought of that other previous idea because the village in the valley thing really lent itself to this final composition. Also the "darkness of my soul" part of the quote and the idea of being isolated and misunderstood as Van Gogh was also seemed to apply uncannily well to the witch. Instead of taking revenge she became a figure that, though shunned for her abilities, longs for acceptance and is trying to give something to the town (a bit corny, but that's my thought train). Another line of the song is "this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you", and the very last few lines are:

"They would not listen
they're not
list'ning still
perhaps they never will. "

By virtue of her magic she is always assumed to be evil no matter what she does to prove otherwise. She can never live among humans and remain herself (this world isn't meant for her). That's the basic gist. Perhaps I thought that out too much... Anyway, now everyone knows, ha ha.

joelterrific wrote:This is definitely on the more conceptual tip, but I'll give that Starry Night is a study in 'blue.' This interpretation is a little bewildering, but I'll accept that it came from an interpretation of the theme.

Thank you thank you Joel!!!

jasneko

Re: Electric Blue

Very striking design. Pun sorta intended;)
I also like the use of green.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 38 Private Messages BootsBoots
joelterrific wrote:Bluebird of Happiness. I get it as a play on that.

Thanks for commenting on the top ten or so entries as to why you feel they're on topic or not, Joel. I personally really appreciate it.