parrotworks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages parrotworks
bassanimation wrote:Then, this appeared in the brainspace... ^^;

When you start dreaming in 6 colors the metamorphosis will be complete. Nice work.

MissFortune

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MissFortune
Re: The Caves: They are Mammoth

i really hope this gets in the fog.
loved those caves when i took the lantern tour!

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
AdderXYU wrote:I'd have said this earlier, but I'm with you.

It's going to sound offensive, but when I saw this, I thought it was Seki from the thumbnail. The halftoning. The garish colors. The Shiny Shiny Glowy Shiny. And while I certainly enjoy seeing cmdixon work in the derby, and unlike who I believed it to be, I KNOW you can do better and have seen you do better, it doesn't make me like this more.

I am not really offended by being compared to Seki as I think she does have an good eye for making pretty visuals. My only real complaint with Seki besides subject matter(which I can't fault her for) is her general lack of concept in her work.

Even I've occasionally been guilty of putting visuals before concept. Most if not all artists have. Sometimes it's for lack of a great idea. Sometimes I start with a general direction and a concept is born from that...and sometimes not. Usually those end up being my least favorite.

Sometimes concepts are born that I never would have thought up just brainstorming or sketching. This one was one of those and I'm actually quite happy with the final product.

I would love to get some more feedback(negative & positive) if you don't mind. Is it just the amount of halftones used or the method with which they are used? Or both?

To me, the colors don't come off as garish. There are 2 fairly low intensity colors (dark pink & purple) and one bright (yellow). Perhaps you can elaborate a little?

Thanks again to all those that DO like this shirt. I appreciate the kind(and the critical) comments.

pollenator77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pollenator77
Re: Ah, a BEAR!

The reflected glow of the firelight on the animals is a very nice touch.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
cmdixon2 wrote:I am not really offended by being compared to Seki as I think she does have an good eye for making pretty visuals. My only real complaint with Seki besides subject matter(which I can't fault her for) is her general lack of concept in her work.

Even I've occasionally been guilty of putting visuals before concept. Most if not all artists have. Sometimes it's for lack of a great idea. Sometimes I start with a general direction and a concept is born from that...and sometimes not. Usually those end up being my least favorite.

Sometimes concepts are born that I never would have thought up just brainstorming or sketching. This one was one of those and I'm actually quite happy with the final product.

I would love to get some more feedback(negative & positive) if you don't mind. Is it just the amount of halftones used or the method with which they are used? Or both?

To me, the colors don't come off as garish. There are 2 fairly low intensity colors (dark pink & purple) and one bright (yellow). Perhaps you can elaborate a little?

Thanks again to all those that DO like this shirt. I appreciate the kind(and the critical) comments.

That is far too generous to Seki, sir, but I shan't press.

Anywho. For me it is the purple/gold combo more than anything. The shades just clash for me, looking more like a kings robes of state or something of that matter than light... the saturation just doesn't gel to my eyes. As for the halftones, when it gets down to the bottom and they're nice and chunky, that just feels off too, because you can see the circles, and that takes the whole effect and turns it upside down, to me.

I'm not going to pretend there's not some bias also. I feel like i've seen this sort of thing every week lately. Ooooh, it's glowing! Oooooh, it's fine halftones. Ooooooh, look at the negative space. I'm not going to say any one of those things is inherently bad (i'd cite something like Rain Dance, which I feel used negative space brilliantly), but everything together, I can't help but look at it and feel it's stale.

As an anecdote: this week I saw a design at Threadless that took a pretty fun and original take on Mario. I wanted to like it more, but being here, where horrible, non-parody videogame shirts are made often enough to warrant a rule against them, and checking teefury, which seems to steal someone's intellectual property at least twice a week without enough parody to justify it, I couldn't like it. Even if I was able to appreciate how it was fresher. And I think that this suffers like that. I feel like this is just light enough on concept to feel like any generic shinyshiny piece we've seen over the last year. I admit that is likely infused with bias, but I really don't think that, after the last year, I can be fully faulted for that.

No clue if that explains any further for you or not, but there you have it.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
JadenKale wrote:MJ, I love this. The smoke looks great and the over all color scheme really stands out. Great job!

MJ of Teefury curator's fame?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

AdderXYU

kylemittskus wrote:MJ of Teefury curator's fame?

Also of Compete-tee-tion and Teemagnet.

Also sometimes of cottonable, but maybe no longer, but I think still?

But most notably of lying about cake and converting dinos to communism

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
lindab53 wrote:That is so neat! I would really like to do something like that. I also know that some of the theme parks, like Sea World and ?? (the one in Tampa) have programs where you can go behind the scenes for a day and see animals up close. I've never actually seen a pika in a zoo or elsewhere. There are some videos online, like the one below, but how I found out about them in the first place was a wonderful book called Miracle on Square Top Mountain by Robert Franklin Leslie. He is 'most famous' for his book The Bears and I (true story about raising 3 orphan bear cubs) that Disney made into a movie starring Patrick (son of John)Wayne. I love your tiger story and the whole experience sounds amazing! http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7066578568747223192#

You should do it, most zoos have intern programs or at the least volunteer/docent programs, and you usually get a chance at some closer encounters with animals.

I don't know much about the sea world programs, though that must be supercool too because marine mammals (and other animals there) are such amazing animals. I really enjoyed the 2 times I've gone (in the US and in Australia), though I did wonder about the happiness level of the animals, having to do those shows everyday:/

Hmm maybe I will check out those books. Are they both true stories?

That video of the pika was SO CUTE. Wow, how did I not know of such adorable creatures? Love them going back and forth with the flowers much bigger than them!

asmadasrabbits

quality posts: 3 Private Messages asmadasrabbits
Re: Thanks Dad. This is great!

Yeah, not diggin' the bottom text, but i voted anyway.

swifty4486

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swifty4486

I LOVE Joni Mitchell and this song, even the counting crows version. Really hope this jumps up the charts, and parrot i love the color i wouldn't change it at all

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129
Re: X-treme National Park

Awesome! Excellent work- the bear on the ATV is perfect.

KingPascal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KingPascal

My level of depth and appreciation for art is much deeper than yours kitty. That is what an Art History degree will do for you. A distinct advantage my way on this debate. Your jibby proves that beyond a doubt. The design is well done and I have a great appreciation for nature as I'm sure you do too kitty. I do as always enjoy the vigorous debates we have on what is considered good art vs the rubbish that floods the streets of the main. Take care kitty and I look foward to more art debate in the future!

orzine wrote:oh god, not this clown again. this guy is so obviously a bad joke by a regular user. just dont respond to him and his ridiculous speech habits

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
KingPascal wrote:My level of depth and appreciation for art is much deeper than yours kitty. That is what an Art History degree will do for you. A distinct advantage my way on this debate. Your jibby proves that beyond a doubt. The design is well done and I have a great appreciation for nature as I'm sure you do too kitty. I do as always enjoy the vigorous debates we have on what is considered good art vs the rubbish that floods the streets of the main. Take care kitty and I look foward to more art debate in the future!

I'm always down for a good joke account.

It's really too bad this isn't one.

swifty4486

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swifty4486

nothing says national park like a comic book/ action movie style explosion in the woods with a bear on an ATV. So ridiculous i would order 3

AdderXYU

mrwednesday wrote:I'm always down for a good joke account.

It's really too bad this isn't one.

It's worth remembering that "art history" doesn't mean anything except "I know history". otherwise it would be called "art"

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
KingPascal wrote:My level of depth and appreciation for art is much deeper than yours kitty. That is what an Art History degree will do for you. A distinct advantage my way on this debate. Your jibby proves that beyond a doubt. The design is well done and I have a great appreciation for nature as I'm sure you do too kitty. I do as always enjoy the vigorous debates we have on what is considered good art vs the rubbish that floods the streets of the main. Take care kitty and I look foward to more art debate in the future!

Anyone who cites their BA above their actual passion and enthusiasm for the subject as proof of their superiority of knowledge isn't worth listening to on said subject, especially in the arts. In your case, it comes off as petty posturing, especially since you try to use it to end any and all debate.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

@kender42 - Hmmm I'll have to look it up.

imsochady wrote:Whoa! This looks really nice. Maybe you should've pulled the shirt down a tiny bit to see some of the details behind. GMV

Thanks imsochady Oops, you're probably right. Maybe I'll post a detail.

JesseBYAH wrote:This is really cute I love how you made the trees the only colored part, and I love the expressions on the animals. Sounds like you stayed up pretty late to finish this one, haha but it turned out great!

Thanks JesseByah! I'm glad you like how the trees are the only color, because I went back and forth about that, but ultimately I felt like it is more striking that way. (Though I'm still considering a resub with color heh).
Yup, stayed up wayyy too late, was really exhausted by the time I submitted! So nice to hear you think it's great!

kylemittskus

mrwednesday wrote: I will say that most people with formal training in any sort of art or graphic design tend to have a giant leg up on the average user but it is in no way necessary.

Seriously, ignore him. His idiocy will will drive you to self-injure.

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
kylemittskus wrote:Seriously, ignore him. He will drive you to self-injure with his idiocy.

Haha, yeah. I forgot he was that one guy. I'm still trying to figure out if "kitty" is a filter or if that's actually what he calls people.

kylemittskus

mrwednesday wrote:Haha, yeah. I forgot he was that one guy. I'm still trying to figure out if "kitty" is a filter or if that's actually what he calls people.

Not a filter. Hitting reply shows the actual word(s) used.

agenthenry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages agenthenry
Re: Damnit

i love those clouds :D

KaylaJ

quality posts: 22 Private Messages KaylaJ
kylemittskus wrote:Not a filter. Hitting reply shows the actual word(s) used.

thanks kitten ;)

kylemittskus

KaylaJ wrote:thanks kitten ;)

Kitty. Get it right or else!

Robinthefirst

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Robinthefirst

hehe. I'm so proud of myself. I can officially recognize TGentry shirts instantly by looking at the thumbnail.

KaylaJ

quality posts: 22 Private Messages KaylaJ
kylemittskus wrote:Kitty. Get it right or else!

i'm not sure i can use kitty, i don't have an art degree :D

stanzerl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stanzerl
cmdixon2 wrote:...

I would love to get some more feedback(negative & positive) if you don't mind. ...

CM, I too love the look but would not wear it because of the skull. It seems your concept is out of sync with your original quote about national parks that are subterranean -- I don't really get a feel for dark, damp, drippy, lichenous or anoxic spaces, stalagtites and stalagmites in formation ... The twinkles aren't in themselves objectionable -- lightfall is certainly conceivable -- tho a bit overdone, and the colors are luscious -- but the feel simply isn't underground for me, with the way shadows leap from lights, and the skull isn't organic. You could get a lot creepier and suggestive of writhing souls with the natural formations without resorting to the tired old trope of the skull.
imho
CMW

kylemittskus

KaylaJ wrote:i'm not sure i can use kitty, i don't have an art degree :D

Bah! Are we sadistic because we are gaining pleasure from exploiting someone's blatant lack of erudition?

Sensei1980

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sensei1980
Re: sleep, eat, hike, enjoy

I would totally buy this shirt.

reesmaxwell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reesmaxwell
Re: sleep, eat, hike, enjoy

I'm pretty sure those symbols mean SLEEP - EAT - HIKE - DUMP YOUR SOLID WASTE INTO THE GROUND, but I could be wrong.

I like the design idea, but I think it would be better if the last one was new. A symbol that meant outdoor bliss and was stylized like the previous three. Being that those other three are public domain, they should be okay to use, I'm guessing.

jewsykid33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jewsykid33
Re: Dinner-time At Dinosauria National Park.

wats goin on in this logo?

jmmbell1987

KaylaJ wrote:i'm not sure i can use kitty, i don't have an art degree :D

With my absolute, incontestable authority over all things related to the English language (because I'll have an English degree this May), I declare that you can say "kitty". There shall be no debate over this, unless a fellow English major rises to challenge my rule.

parrotworks

Re: Muir is my Homeboy

Sweet art. His hand is totally needing some bling bling.

kylemittskus

jmmbell1987 wrote:With my absolute, incontestable authority over all things related to the English language (because I'll have an English degree this May), I declare that you can say "kitty". There shall be no debate over this, unless a fellow English major rises to challenge my rule.

What is your focus and where are you going to school?

parrotworks

Re: Thanks Dad. This is great!

This is really clever Jewel. Seems like anything with a family theme has trouble making it into print (not including families of bunnies of course). One too many teens voting I suppose? Anyways, great work.

AdderXYU

jmmbell1987 wrote:With my absolute, incontestable authority over all things related to the English language (because I'll have an English degree this May), I declare that you can say "kitty". There shall be no debate over this, unless a fellow English major rises to challenge my rule.

"Kitty" is way too crude a form. "Kitten" is much more becoming of a scholar of Kayla's education.

jmmbell1987

kylemittskus wrote:What is your focus and where are you going to school?

Literature. UMass Dartmouth.

Lurntospel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lurntospel

My favorite entry of the derby! I hope it gets printed
Hopefully I get the first woot too.... :p

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
swifty4486 wrote:nothing says national park like a comic book/ action movie style explosion in the woods with a bear on an ATV. So ridiculous i would order 3

Hahaha, awesome, I appreciate it. I know how silly it is, but I myself am a silly person. So...yay bears on 4-wheelers!

kylemittskus

jmmbell1987 wrote:Literature. UMass Dartmouth.

Any genre? Please don't say that British scaffolding.

I ask because I'm a Master's candidate in American Lit.

jmmbell1987

kylemittskus wrote:Any genre? Please don't say that British scaffolding.

I ask because I'm a Master's candidate in American Lit.

My school's undergrad program is just plain, ol' Literature and Criticism. Of course, I plan on pursuing a master's in British scaffolding. :P