Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

pyrowolf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pyrowolf

Mmmm, robot-ey goodness.

Ansemx2

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Ansemx2

For the robot on the left, it's love at first charge.

Salinga

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Salinga

Batteries are tasty.

prateeko

quality posts: 70 Private Messages prateeko

You know the Robot handing out batteries is Godly by the rust-proof paint he has. So nice of him to be kind, if only more people could be link that

::hint hint::

ichserbe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ichserbe

The Power of charity case and creating dependency.

lonelypond

quality posts: 424 Private Messages lonelypond

Yippee...surprised but glad this won (I was betting on the giraffe)...really like the scene, double counted the batteries to make sure there were enough, and think it'll be great to wear when volunteering at the theatre.

VeronicaBeats

quality posts: 2 Private Messages VeronicaBeats
ichserbe wrote:The Power of charity case and creating dependency.

Oh snap!

Lurntospel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lurntospel

I want to be a robot...

KaylaJ

quality posts: 22 Private Messages KaylaJ

i like how the building in the background looks like a space invader ship

VeronicaBeats

quality posts: 2 Private Messages VeronicaBeats

but seriously.... this is the sweetest shirt i have ever seen.
A tear almost came out........

isparabola

quality posts: 8 Private Messages isparabola

The robot on the right looks like its about to put the battery inside itself, but without a battery in there wouldn't it be unable to do that?

hookemhorns212

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hookemhorns212

Is the background a city where robots are banned?

patmagroin1289

quality posts: 0 Private Messages patmagroin1289

Woot in for one.

GluonConcerto

quality posts: 9 Private Messages GluonConcerto

What intrigues me is that the small robots have metal arm joints, while the giver robot has pure energy for arm joints. An upgraded model??

ViperEagle

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ViperEagle

All I have to say is awwwwwww...

steyrkat

quality posts: 3 Private Messages steyrkat
isparabola wrote:The robot on the right looks like its about to put the battery inside itself, but without a battery in there wouldn't it be unable to do that?

Good point...logic flaw! But it doesn't take away from the fact that this is a nice shirt design.

isparabola

hookemhorns212 wrote:Is the background a city where robots are banned?

Judging by the no robots symbol thing yeah... It's kinda like the movie district 9.

KaylaJ

quality posts: 22 Private Messages KaylaJ
hookemhorns212 wrote:Is the background a city where robots are banned?

i think from the picture of the robot on the banned sign, the older robots (which in this case is the blocky kids) have been banished/thrown away.

philiparthurmoore

quality posts: 0 Private Messages philiparthurmoore

It's been a month or two since I purchased a Woot shirt. They've been somewhat miss for me as of late, but this shirt ROCKS. Definitely in for one.

crazyharry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crazyharry

I love it, and I don't usually wear brown. If it isn't sold out by tomorrow morning I might just buy one.

ichserbe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ichserbe
VeronicaBeats wrote:Oh snap!

Sorry, i really should have included: "as opposed to empowering people to create lasting, sustainable solutions through organizations such as Kiva or the like."

http://www.kiva.org/

DCno10

quality posts: 376 Private Messages DCno10

this looks like a different direction that pixar could've taken WALL-E. great shirt.

ShadowStitch

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ShadowStitch
isparabola wrote:The robot on the right looks like its about to put the battery inside itself, but without a battery in there wouldn't it be unable to do that?

...It has capacitors. Same way your camera doesn't forget the date if you swap the battery quickly enough.

linkszelda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages linkszelda

definitely represents the topic, and i think it's so adorable!

isparabola

ShadowStitch wrote:...It has capacitors. Same way your camera doesn't forget the date if you swap the battery quickly enough.

Oh.

Yay for being a physics dropout. :D

nmctwx

quality posts: 10 Private Messages nmctwx

Give a bot a battery and he'll run for a day...

Give a bot a rechargeable battery and he'll run for 500 charges as long as the battery is properly cycled according to the manufacturers specifications.

nyren

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nyren

Utterly beautiful artwork, but... as I said on the derby page, I worry that this shirt emphasizes racist American iconography. Why, if you are going to use robots, do the poor, clearly outdated, poorly made ones have to be brown-cased, and the wealthy, new, advanced one have to be clearly white?

Hrm, the more I look at it, the more this shirt says to me, white people are better because they were made that way, as a more advanced model of the species =\

It's clearly time for me to stop looking at that beautifully drawn image.

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik

It's rare that derby shirts can be subtly cute. Well done.

goneferal

quality posts: 18 Private Messages goneferal

Anybody know where I can pick up one of these adorable little robots? And what's the best way to clean them? Gosh I hope mine doesn't grow up to be a terminator.

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
nyren wrote:Utterly beautiful artwork, but... as I said on the derby page, I worry that this shirt emphasizes racist American iconography. Why, if you are going to use robots, do the poor, clearly outdated, poorly made ones have to be brown-cased, and the wealthy, new, advanced one have to be clearly white?

Unlike most here, I've had an interest in racial studies, so I know where you're coming from, but I think the parallel you're seeing is incidental. Looking at the artwork, it seems to me that the robots are the same base color, it's just that the smaller ones are rusty, while the large one is not.

chennai8

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chennai8

Alternate power when changing batteries, like terminator powers up in T2.

neyfam2000 wrote:Woot!--going from "Deal-a-day" to "Site-a-day"

fishcake56

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fishcake56

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto.

jenopy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jenopy
nyren wrote:Utterly beautiful artwork, but... as I said on the derby page, I worry that this shirt emphasizes racist American iconography. Why, if you are going to use robots, do the poor, clearly outdated, poorly made ones have to be brown-cased, and the wealthy, new, advanced one have to be clearly white?

Hrm, the more I look at it, the more this shirt says to me, white people are better because they were made that way, as a more advanced model of the species =\

It's clearly time for me to stop looking at that beautifully drawn image.

The baby bots themselves aren't brown. That's rust or dirt.
If you look, they're actually the same colors used for the battery case.

I think of it commenting on poverty issues than race issues.

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
IndependentVik wrote:Unlike most here, I've had an interest in racial studies, so I know where you're coming from, but I think the parallel you're seeing is incidental. Looking at the artwork, it seems to me that the robots are the same base color, it's just that the smaller ones are rusty, while the large one is not.

I agree with this. I also see a sort of Wall-E and EVE thing going on. Not in the character designs so much, but the color scheme. EVE is shiny, sleek, and white. Wall-E is yellow, but very rusty. It's not racial in the film: people tend to associate white, bright and sleek with new in regards to technology (thanks largely to Apple).

drakeji

quality posts: 1 Private Messages drakeji

I love this shirt. The robots are cute. Glad I stayed up.

nyren

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nyren
IndependentVik wrote:Unlike most here, I've had an interest in racial studies, so I know where you're coming from, but I think the parallel you're seeing is incidental. Looking at the artwork, it seems to me that the robots are the same base color, it's just that the smaller ones are rusty, while the large one is not.

I do see the point about the base color. I think my problem with the image from a racial commentary standpoint is that the one that appears the whitest is not the same model as the rest of them. As others pointed out, he has electricity for arms, and a sleeker build. The image gives the impression that this is somehow related to the robot's color, since it is the only advanced robot in the scene and the only one that appears as colored white (even if the other ones, under their grime, are also white - that can be guessed from the image, but isn't inherently obvious).

*shrug* I guess I'd just be happier with the image from a racial viewpoint if the giving robot was the same model, or tech level, as the receiving robots.

chefbooyadee

quality posts: 38 Private Messages chefbooyadee

The cynical side of me sees this as "here's your power little guys and don't forget to STAY OUT OF THE CITY".

magicman7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages magicman7

I don't like sharing my batteries

AgainstClint

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AgainstClint

the battery man can cause he mixes it with alkaline and makes the world run well!