Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
trekmiss wrote:I really think woot should do some explaining on why this wasn't rejected....

$$$$$

ressamac

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ressamac
bassanimation wrote:Everyone has a right to critique or voice their opinions. It's when people state their opinions as facts that I have a problem.

... Wanting to be successful is not wrong.

Love the design, Bass. Love your sense of humor and your patience. Most of all love that you love Illustrator best. ;) GMV.

DirkDDarring

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DirkDDarring
HalfWheat wrote:
And I'm not saying those are bad or demeaning jobs, because we all have to pay the bills.

As the message states, it's better to be a production artist than a starving one. As I have been in the screen printing industry doing college and resort jobs now for almost 20 years there is more to it than just fullblock vertical arches. I think most of the people on here have great talent but put in the real world where they have to create what the customer wants is more restrictive than Woot. We have dead lines and restrictions on everything from the backers, halftone dot sizes to even the screen mesh we suggest. You may be able to create a magnificent design but when it gets to screens it's a nightmare. I've seen some of the printed shirts from Woot (the flying penguin comes to mind) and I was more impressed with the jpg than the actual shirt they lose allot in translation. Stop complaining, Woot has given us a chance to show our talents, the people who buy from Woot vote on what they like. If all you want to do is win look back at past winners and adjust your art to match. If you want to show your creative skills then just have fun and hope for the best. However if you think you are the best artist alive, get a heat press and sell your own stuff. Stop gripping Woot doesn't have to keep this going they could hire artists and just create their own stuff, I'm sure there are folks over in China that could do this for allot less and not wine. That's where the first company I worked for sent my job. God bless NAFT.

Michael Irwin
Graphic artist
www.wix.com/idforu/idforu

PixelPotato

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PixelPotato
Re: The 'Hello Weanie' Tree

I love your submissions =)

sittle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sittle
AdderXYU wrote:I like how both your concepts this week involve desu candy corn killing other candy corn. Sort of like what won second place in the first halloween derby.

It feels like every week, you find a more elaborate towel to throw in. There has ceased to be anything but the dead glimmer of siphoning some wondertwin profit in any of your work.

Does anyone else feel that this 'critique' is more of a personal critique.. ? Or is it just me?

We get Adder it you don't like "Desu"... Judge the design, not the artist..

It's a well executed concept... And a quick read... Perfect for Tshirts. I had already cast a vote in this competition, but I was gonna go with you...

... tip of the cap to you fablefire!

ressamac

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ressamac
Re: Bite ME

@lonelypond LOL

@mamaGiraffe Funny! "Scrooge of Halloween". Thanks for the comment.

@bhazard Thank you for the comment and I know what you mean. Even when I was working on him in Illustrator, he had his own personality, kinda like Oscar the Grouch. I think inside he is sweet and gooey. ;)

hoylemc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoylemc
Re: but srsly it's mai pumpkin

Another lurker over here. I think I have checked this site like 2348763126523487324987 times today (yes, I am so productive at work) just to see if this has been rejected yet. I am so confused as to why it hasn't been! This is just getting ridiculous.

Exohdus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Exohdus

All I want now is one with a bunch of them flying around with guys in a car titled 'We can't stop here, this is .bat country!'

KillerRamen

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KillerRamen
paramecium10 wrote:Are you just making stats up? According to the government stats, teen unemployment is at 25%, not 50%. And I promise you, a teenager that wants to work can get a job at any fast food chain in the nation. Why? Because there's always such a high turnover rate of people that work in these jobs. Maybe the problem isn't the economy, or that Burger King wants to hire only unemployed physics professors...

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/the_dead_end_kids_AnwaWNOGqsXMuIlGONNX1K

Maybe they're wrong (technically they said "young Americans without a job" and unemployment only counts those who haven't given up), but it was a big story. I have friends who have been looking for a job for years. (One of my friends from college just got a job. He graduated in 2007.)

...That was true at one time, but fast food chains are hiring more unemployed older people.

HalfWheat

quality posts: 18 Private Messages HalfWheat
bassanimation wrote:.

check your pms

cabinboy100

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cabinboy100
HalfWheat wrote:One part of me likes this. Another part of me wants to round up every stray cat and porch pumpkin in my neighborhood and ship them all to Woot.

After reviewing this week's derby entries, I guess it might be worth mentioning that this image came to me on its own Halloween-iness, not influenced by or in answer to this "pumpkitten" phenomenon that's apparently hit this week's derby.

Or at least, I *thought* it did. Dadgum mind-controlling felines...

imsochady

quality posts: 30 Private Messages imsochady

WOWZA! Great work friend! I, too, wish it had been submitted earlier .

HalfWheat

cabinboy100 wrote:After reviewing this week's derby entries, I guess it might be worth mentioning that this image came to me on its own Halloween-iness, not influenced by or in answer to this "pumpkitten" phenomenon that's apparently hit this week's derby.

Or at least, I *thought* it did. Dadgum mind-controlling felines...

Pumpkins and black cats are pretty common themes, so I've got no doubt this had nothing to do with the rest of the hoopla. This is a cute take on it. Too late a submission for it to climb far, unfortunately.

powerslaveintime

quality posts: 0 Private Messages powerslaveintime
Re: Oriental Halloween (Shaolin monk v2)

i would have to agree that i liked this much better without the teeth - they detract from the subtle serene feeling (with a slight touch of humor and halloween spirit) that the original had. excellent work, otherwise.

i am hoping that someone gives an answer to the halftone question, because i was wondering the same thing in terms of how many actual dots per inch are printable with the equipment that woot uses.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Aw hell, this is just wrong! However do you do this?!? It's... well, I guess the word is AMAZING!

The level of detail, the concept, the color palette. Perfect.

Earlysong

quality posts: 21 Private Messages Earlysong
Re: We Carves People

This is my favorite. It is pretty awesome.

I love this website! ^^

strawhat311

quality posts: 6 Private Messages strawhat311
Re: but srsly it's mai pumpkin

I really hope this doesn't get rejected because I would wear it.

shirtshark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shirtshark
Zackismet wrote:we should be able to have some sort of parallel poll to the voting-

WHO WOULD RATHER HAVE THE SHIRT WITHOUT TEXT?

I feel no need to explain this as literally every single other comment I've observed relating to the text is either apathetic or approving to the idea of removing it.

I refuse to believe that W00t would be unable to allow such a change to occur without a loss in votes. If they claim that it's "to be fair", that's bull as it's hardly a design change and it's already doing well enough to prove that it would not be done so to receive a boost in the rankings but to please those that brought it there.

hope it happens!

I'm going to buy it either way

strawhat311

quality posts: 6 Private Messages strawhat311
Re: I Like Candy (Resub)

lovin' it!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Re: Death Haunts the Night

This needs, what, six hundred votes, to get printed? why is it getting voted up now?

SJulian1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SJulian1
hoylemc wrote:Another lurker over here. I think I have checked this site like 2348763126523487324987 times today (yes, I am so productive at work) just to see if this has been rejected yet. I am so confused as to why it hasn't been! This is just getting ridiculous.

Good to know I'm not alone in obsessively checking the site. I felt a little guilty at first.

xazothia

quality posts: 54 Private Messages xazothia
Josephus wrote:This needs, what, six hundred votes, to get printed? why is it getting voted up now?

I'm sure there are some theories out there...

to be less cynical, maybe a lot of people were waiting until after the submission deadline to cast their votes, to be sure they had all of their options available to them first?

(...yeah right, I know.)

xazothia

quality posts: 54 Private Messages xazothia
Re: trick or treat batty! resub

Sorry they had you spend the trouble to re-sub with heather textures just to reject it for copyright eventually anyway.

hmmxkrazee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hmmxkrazee
xazothia wrote:Sorry they had you spend the trouble to re-sub with heather textures just to reject it for copyright eventually anyway.

Yeah. I figured it was alright since it wasn't rejected for that reason in the first place but it's not a big deal. Thanks though.

lastlaugh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lastlaugh
strawhat311 wrote:I really hope this doesn't get rejected because I would wear it.

Thanks for supporting this shirt while once again failing to provide a single logical argument why it shouldn't be rejected.

Anybody? Anybody? Or is the consensus still pretty clear since I refreshed this page 30 seconds ago?

bedellv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bedellv

Thanks for the comment. I actually like the color but I will take that into consideration next time I design a shirt.

Also, I'm glad you liked the cartoon design. I am rather hopeless at drawing (unlike some of the wonderful art we have around here) so cartoon is about all that I can do.

HalfWheat

xazothia wrote:I'm sure there are some theories out there...

to be less cynical, maybe a lot of people were waiting until after the submission deadline to cast their votes, to be sure they had all of their options available to them first?

(...yeah right, I know.)

Sometimes I wait until the derby closes to cast my votes. I'm probably not the only one who does that.

And sometimes I cast a few votes as designs appear and then when the derby closes I go back and vote or unvote. Just depends on the entries and on my mood at the time. I think at this point I've voted on two shirts and I'll take another look later tonight.

KevinMCombes

quality posts: 14 Private Messages KevinMCombes

I could continue to beat the horse about how this is not a fair submission, blah blah blah but that's been discussed enough by others.

What I want to address is Woot being in this "for the money". Woot has REPEATEDLY stood up for artistic integrity and originality over money. Have you noticed the "no video game reference rule"? Spicy Italian Meatball, arguably the shirt that caused the rule has sold over 4000 prints. Cake is a Liar? Almost 9000. Video game shirts were/are a rather reliable cash cow, but Woot has banned them (at least from Derby) because they want more originality.

We don't know why the rejectionator hasn't hit this one, but Woot does not sacrifice integrity for money.

nyren

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nyren
trekmiss wrote:I'm just curious...was a valid reason for rejecting this shirt ever given?

Yes, Drakxxx was PMed with the complete reason. It was the one that everyone guessed - Too close to the character in that Trick 'r Treat movie.

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ
KevinMCombes wrote:I could continue to beat the horse about how this is not a fair submission, blah blah blah but that's been discussed enough by others.

What I want to address is Woot being in this "for the money". Woot has REPEATEDLY stood up for artistic integrity and originality over money. Have you noticed the "no video game reference rule"? Spicy Italian Meatball, arguably the shirt that caused the rule has sold over 4000 prints. Cake is a Liar? Almost 9000. Video game shirts were/are a rather reliable cash cow, but Woot has banned them (at least from Derby) because they want more originality.

We don't know why the rejectionator hasn't hit this one, but Woot does not sacrifice integrity for money.

Cabbage Patch Elvis. not money, money makers(people)

jkiernan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jkiernan
Re: I Like Candy (Resub)

This is the only design that seems truly themed for Halloween. GMV.

(cat in a pumpkin? seriously?)

spartankid125

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spartankid125
KevinMCombes wrote:I could continue to beat the horse about how this is not a fair submission, blah blah blah but that's been discussed enough by others.

They might not sacrifice integrity for money. But they did give away their spine and let this design walk all over them. Come on now! Just because this design is out of the fog and is not close to printing anymore should not be reason enough to not reject it. Whether it prints or not, or is close to printing or not, ON PRINCIPAL, this shirt should be rejected. It would be nice for a change to hear directly from the horses mouth about why they have so many double standards at times. It's one thing for the moderators to police the forums but "big daddy" should check in every once in awhile.

Glad to see the support is still there for Draxx.. Good luck in the Fog

HalfWheat

powerslaveintime wrote:i would have to agree that i liked this much better without the teeth - they detract from the subtle serene feeling (with a slight touch of humor and halloween spirit) that the original had. excellent work, otherwise.

i am hoping that someone gives an answer to the halftone question, because i was wondering the same thing in terms of how many actual dots per inch are printable with the equipment that woot uses.

I've never seen Woot give a definitive answer as to what halftones are good and which aren't mostly it's just a rejection that says, "we can't print this."

It might be more than just the size of the halftones, though. Other factors, like whether there's an underlying color or adjacent colors, might be a factor in their decisions. But since they've never spelled it out, pretty much everyone is guessing, and then hoping that their design will actually be okay.

icymallard

quality posts: 4 Private Messages icymallard
Re: Bats? In my computer?

Yes,

Yes.

Bandrik

quality posts: 87 Private Messages Bandrik

Sadly, this entry is a little late to the party. The detail and the style is pretty nice - I enjoy the devious expression of the demon tree. The use of anthropomorphic characters is cute, if not slightly confusing; I'm not sure if they are animals, or humans with animal costume masks.

Either way, I liked it. Voted. ^_^

trekmiss

quality posts: 9 Private Messages trekmiss
nyren wrote:Yes, Drakxxx was PMed with the complete reason. It was the one that everyone guessed - Too close to the character in that Trick 'r Treat movie.

Thanks!

notrevaeb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages notrevaeb
Re: black cat brain food

I love the kitty, I want to wear it all day everyday :D

kylemittskus

quality posts: 258 Private Messages kylemittskus
snarkygal wrote:Another Halloween, another dumb candy corn design. It was bound to happen.

And it had to be this designer. Ok, it didn't have to be, but we all damn well expected it, right?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

notrevaeb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages notrevaeb
Re: Ghoul-friend and Boo-friend

Awh, I like this they are so elegant +1

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU

While the way woot runs the derbies certainly implies otherwise many times, this is really a very important point. It's the same reason most derbies are text free, to prevent a cheap slogan from winning. There is some modicum of desiring quality.

People who look at woot as solely a money-making venture do it to cover their arses due to their desiring to only make money off it, or else to get the obvious solely-for-profit design that they for some reason desire over all else.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to be successful. But it is manipulative to try to imply that playing to the audience instead of creating from the heart is about wanting to be successful. That's about not being able to tolerate anything but huge success. Most real art in our day comes from the people who would rather a small group of loyal fans, so long as the support is honest.