walmazan

quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan

Big congrats!, was my favorite!

b0b3au

quality posts: 0 Private Messages b0b3au

FinallY! I Love this shirt. My votes have finally paid off!

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
chennai8 wrote:...and he gets a kewpie for that. Wow!

Just proof that QPs aren't worth that much in the long run

estrus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages estrus

So getting this! It's perfect to wear here in Portland where it seems everyone is into campin', huntin', skiin', wheelin', etc.

outz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages outz

So getting this! It's perfect to wear here in INSERT CITY HERE where it seems everyone is into campin', huntin', skiin', wheelin', etc.

sodakar

quality posts: 7 Private Messages sodakar

I agree -- I could do without the comment at the bottom.

I don't know about you folks, but I grew up being told that "overrated" was one word, with no hyphen in the middle, unless the typewriter ran out of room at the end of the line.

This is probably where I get flamed for incorrect grammar in my post, but I'm not printing a thousand copies and selling them for $9.99...

tjsynkral

quality posts: 15 Private Messages tjsynkral

Is that a video game reference on a Woot shirt? I thought those were banned.

AZsabin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AZsabin

When this was submitted in it's original derby, there was a "No video game references" added to the rules.
There was some discussion as how this shirt got around that rule, Since it obviously looked like the kid was playing a gameboy. The artist kind of played it off saying what the kid was holding could be anything, maybe it's a sandwich and he's just REALLY into it for some reason.

Now to see the woot write up on this shirt, there's no question, it's a video game the kid's playing. So does that mean references OF video games in general is OK but a direct reference of a game isn't? I'm confused.

JadenKale

AZsabin wrote:When this was submitted in it's original derby, there was a "No video game references" added to the rules.
There was some discussion as how this shirt got around that rule, Since it obviously looked like the kid was playing a gameboy. The artist kind of played it off saying what the kid was holding could be anything, maybe it's a sandwich and he's just REALLY into it for some reason.

Now to see the woot write up on this shirt, there's no question, it's a video game the kid's playing. So does that mean references OF video games in general is OK but a direct reference of a game isn't? I'm confused.

Okay, really, it's obvious it's a personal video game machine (be it whatever type). But that, from my perspective, is okay since she didn't make it obvious as to a brand or a specific game. Please note, WOOT wrote up the product narrative, not the artist.

Now, had JW drawn the kid decked out in a full Link convention costume, playing a decidedly obvious gameboy, or goombas were poking out around his feet and fire flowers were growing in the tall grass, then that would be more video game referenced than this is. I saw someone mention the mountains looked like a rollercoaster (shigwarm). I seriously was waiting for someone scoff that this was a Rollercoaster Tycoon reference of some sort.

It's more that people stop relying on stuff that's already parodied to death (even by its own creators) and strive to create something more original. That's the true reason that rule is in effect.

That... and PacMan Park would have been disastrous.

SmartBugger

quality posts: 2 Private Messages SmartBugger

Love this shirt, had to buy one.

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple

Hooray Jewel! I wanted this shirt so bad...and now I'm about to have it! <3 Congrats.

mecos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mecos

i feel this shirt - specially since the bf is making me watch all those national parks documentaries- but the print seems a bit too large for my tastes.

greydove

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greydove

Oh, the boy will learn to appreciate the national forest once he realizes the joy of bonfire parties.

I love it every time I see you print, Jewelwing

jasonAP

quality posts: 15 Private Messages jasonAP
JadenKale wrote:
That... and PacMan Park would have been the most awesomest thing in the whole wide world.

I fixed that for you.

wallyrit

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wallyrit
colinm09 wrote:I completely agree. I don't have as much a problem with the "Look son" part...the fact that he's pointing out a tree makes the design funnier. I think it could have been a more effective shirt, though, if the dad was maybe pointing out something other than a tree...limiting it to a tree makes the parks seem boring in comparison with the video game...which seems to be the opposite of what the shirt is trying to say.

Is not the point that the Dad is as narrowly focused on his agenda as the son is on his. Dad loves the park for any thing which he might see, even as simple as a tree.

When in reality, both are missing the actual splendor of nature.

wallyrit

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wallyrit
AZsabin wrote:When this was submitted in it's original derby, there was a "No video game references" added to the rules.

There is no reference to a video game. If you interpret the device in the boy's hand as a game machine, it is still a game machine not one of the games which can be played on the machine. Big difference! And the device could be a PDA, an i-Pod, an MP3 player, a computer, a cell phone, or any other hand held device, it doesn't matter to the message of the shirt.

JadenKale

jasonAP wrote:I fixed that for you.

Best that you see someone about that turrets... it's affecting whole phrases that you write, because I KNOW my sentence was correct the first time it was written.

Here, let me show you the sentence again:

JadenKale wrote:That... and PacMan Park would have been disastrous.

See? It was perfect the first time, regardless of your failed attempts to manipulate it.

karst437870

quality posts: 2 Private Messages karst437870
tjsynkral wrote:Is that a video game reference on a Woot shirt? I thought those were banned.

*engage snark*
A few posts up above someone mentioned it's a PSP. Do most PSP owners play games on them? Now if it was a nintendo DS(i, lite or fat) or a GP2X then yeah you'd have a video game reference violation. he he he. *disengage snark*

/could also be texting on his cell phone.

regal8lager

quality posts: 43 Private Messages regal8lager
tjsynkral wrote:Is that a video game reference on a Woot shirt? I thought those were banned.

C'mon guys, lets give the kid some credit here...he could be Geocaching!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Draug

quality posts: 69 Private Messages Draug
DCno10 wrote:I'm not Draug, but I'm pretty sure you missed some wicked awesome sarcasm there.

You can be an honorary Draug for today. lol

The enemy's gate is down.
Writers are people too! (Albeit strange ones.)
Save Poe! Reckon Nevermore! Or he'll be head-locked forevermore!

DawnYawn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DawnYawn
hintysen wrote:I completely agree that there is no need for the type at the bottom of the layout. The "Look Son, A Tree" quote is the best possible thing I could think of for the dad to say, but still, that isn't needed. Less is more. Unless you're making Caligula. Wait, even then.

I love this shirt. Everything on it reminds me of a 1950's primary reader, but the message is 2001. Great visual contrast & irony. You do good work. GMV and I Woot!ed at 1:30 am

Thanks!

lwmcdave

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lwmcdave
colinm09 wrote:I completely agree. I don't have as much a problem with the "Look son" part...the fact that he's pointing out a tree makes the design funnier. I think it could have been a more effective shirt, though, if the dad was maybe pointing out something other than a tree...limiting it to a tree makes the parks seem boring in comparison with the video game...which seems to be the opposite of what the shirt is trying to say.

It seems to me it's not the opposite. It is trying to say that national parks are boring. Or it's saying that people are too stupid to really appreciate them. Neither of which is true.

setti10309

quality posts: 1 Private Messages setti10309

Not now Dad, I'm about to catch Mew!

skirochester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester

Alright Jewel!!!! I just got home from the hospital with my 2nd baby girl and think this is the perfect me-to-me gift.

kilcher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kilcher
colinm09 wrote:I think this shirt would have been a lot more effective without the "Fun vacations" line and the "Look son, a tree!" They make the joke seem forced.

Agreed. I don't know why the joke always has to be spelled out on shirts like this. I would have gotten it otherwise.

jakjak08v2

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jakjak08v2

Should he be worried that the grass is yellow? I mean, I'm worried when the snow is yellow, does the same pertain to grass?

jewelwing

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing

Thanks so much to everyone who supported this - again! I really appreciate those who stuck with it after the original derby.

When I made this I was thinking about all the crazy things parents make kids do because they believe it's good for them or because they think they should enjoy it. All kinds of things could have been used, but in this case it happened to be national parks.

Personally I don't hate national parks even a little bit. I'm going to be traveling for the next month or so and when the hotel fund gets low I plan to be living in one. National parks are great.

What I do not like is hiking and that was also a little bit a part of where this came from. Sorry but carrying a bunch of stuff and walking to nowhere isn't something I want to do. (I will do it though, if you ask me nicely, just not very often.)

Also, still can't confirm or deny if that's really a video game in his hand. I said before it was a sandwhich... might also be a hot pocket. Mmmm. No wonder he's so into it.

bkeokip

quality posts: 6 Private Messages bkeokip

Reminds me of the type of shirt Tom (from Tom
Goes To The Mayor) would sport while trying to woo either of his stepchildren (from his wife Joy's previous marriage) into acceptance of his role as stepfather...

pythonkiller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pythonkiller

This tee is so true, it's scares even the Parkies! (A 'Parkie' is slang for any employee of the National Park Service. Sort of like Trekkies, but hug trees instead of Tribbles!)

mathtigger

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mathtigger

This is my first shirt-woot purchase. Just love it. Reminds me of our family vacations.

cobolisdead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead

Bought! I'm so glad that this finally printed!

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

scfrome

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scfrome

LOVE this shirt! Had a hard time deciding if I should get this for my 11yo son or the husband. Fits both perfectly after our trip to Yosemite this summer! Thanks and GREAT JOB! (PS: The kid gets the shirt.)

BlackbeardBen

quality posts: 19 Private Messages BlackbeardBen
wallyrit wrote:Is not the point that the Dad is as narrowly focused on his agenda as the son is on his. Dad loves the park for any thing which he might see, even as simple as a tree.

When in reality, both are missing the actual splendor of nature.

I think you're missing the hidden splendor of even a simple tree. :-)

Silverglade

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Silverglade

Good shirt. I don't think the "Look son- a tree" text is necessary. It makes it seem as if the shirt is trying too hard to be funny.

jewelwing

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing

Usually that artist info bit woot writes is is made up, at least I think it is, and in some cases hope that it is, but this time what they wrote about me is actually true. Just wanted to add that. Good job guys!

fredv

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fredv

Like this, but I too am sad to see all the double take prints were from the Park derby. Was looking forward to wearing Boots' shirt to daughter's math competitions. Oh, well. I have defended the rights of Woot to print what the voters vote for too many times to complain too loudly now.

sambo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sambo

I bought one for my son the video-game addicted Boy Scout

JadenKale

fredv wrote:Like this, but I too am sad to see all the double take prints were from the Park derby. Was looking forward to wearing Boots' shirt to daughter's math competitions. Oh, well. I have defended the rights of Woot to print what the voters vote for too many times to complain too loudly now.

Better watch the rest of the week, then. I'm pretty sure that with all the double-take entries printing from National Park week, we'll end up with some real nice pieces from all the others. (hoping for 2 weeks of EC's though)

hbanzapan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hbanzapan
jewelwing wrote:

Also, still can't confirm or deny if that's really a video game in his hand. I said before it was a sandwhich... might also be a hot pocket. Mmmm. No wonder he's so into it.

It is a bowl of nature.

JadenKale

hbanzapan wrote:It is a bowl of nature.

dude it's WAFFLES! TASTY WAFFLES!

:D