Fatstrat06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Fatstrat06
Re: Mirage

Wow, why haven't i seen this yet? It's fantastic, I agree that the thumbnail doesn't do it justice. GMV!

starartist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages starartist
Lachryma wrote:Haha just noticed the 'lighters' and hands of the crowd, awesome touch man.

I agree! That is my favorite part lol.

bandit55

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bandit55
Re: Sunset Tragic

This is a creative design and looks really good!

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
Re: Reign of The Sun God

As soon as I saw the theme, I was hoping you'd rework this design. GMV.

mlovesr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mlovesr
kylemittskus wrote:

For reference, rglee made a design that was a Fat Horse eating things. The style was very similar to his Fat Unicorn design but was completely different based on color, background, etc. The horse was rejected for being too similar to his unicorn. (Someone with more skills than I have may link the two up for visual reference.)

Actually, that's not entirely true. Yes, there once was a Fat Horse design and a lot of people gave Robbie a hard time about it, but woot didn't reject the shirt. Even though the shirt concept (fat horse eating things its associated with) was similar to the fat unicorn concept, the design was Completely different and everyone could tell that Robbie drew it completely from scratch.

fabiofranca

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fabiofranca
rdonley11 wrote:I'd love to have a Yul Bryn... I mean random, original pharaoh shirt which bears no resemblance to any celebrity.

I can hope can't I? GMV.

Yes! we can al hope rdonley11! I'd love to have one like this... thats why I did it ))

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
Re: Rock Like an Egyptian

This might just be the most fun design in the entire derby. Definitely GMV.

smileyfaceman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smileyfaceman
Re: Cone of Shame

Very funny.

fabiofranca

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fabiofranca
Re: Ancient Egyptian Plumber

Is it ok to use copyrighted videogame characters on woot's shirts? Maybe the rights of the Mario image is already over... don't know....

lwitthoft

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lwitthoft

love the faded look. gives it theme appropriateness and also fashionability

CrescentDebris

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CrescentDebris
Re: Death Defiance

Thanks as always for the comments and support! The positive comments really mean a lot to me. I honestly haven't done much with halftones. If used sparingly and in the right situations I think they can be great. And this was a time when I didn't see any other way to do it.

For this, I knew Anubis and the pyramid would be silhouettes. So I was either going to go overly simple with black on orange or something with maybe an outline... OR I was going to do a sky with a sun. And that would require some halftonage! I have a detail addiction and a need to put in more hours than are necessary to make something that I feel is worthwhile. I'll admit there are a couple of my past entries that I don't love looking back but I did at the time of submission. My work is very sincere and hopefully that comes through and is why no one jumps on here to tell me my entry leaps into the vacuum. :P Thanks.

emptyplatitudes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emptyplatitudes
Drakxxx wrote:I thought about reworking this design for this contest, but the original was so specific and pretty much exactly as I wanted it, I thought changing it around any would be to much of a struggle. I received a good number of requests asking for this design to make an appearance in this contest in some form or fashion, and I finally decided to see what I could do with it to get it submitted.

The colors and much of the composition are the same from the original design I drew for the Sun derby. I included a falcon and removed the sun, which I was pleased to see didn't really change the overall feel and flow of the original.

Thanks to all you guys who messaged me asking to see this design again, and I hope you like the alterations!

Here is a link to a larger image of the design:
http://i49.tinypic.com/30lf0o5.jpg

i like it, but needs more bicep and less lat

emptyplatitudes

stardustxsiren wrote:This is beautiful. Really hoping this one pulls through!

it is kind of pretty, but no way am i walking around in a black shirt with a 2-ft ankh on it

emptyplatitudes

monkeyswag wrote:If re-writing history were the thing to do, then I'm sure the Egyptian's can lay claim to Football, Baseball, Laptop computers, Remote control HD TV, Satellite Feeds (up & down), Chips & Dip, and generally having a good time.

i've got tutankhamun on my fantasy team.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
realitytwist wrote:NO would anyone seriously wear this???

Yup. I would. But then again, I'm biased

Stercrazy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stercrazy
Re: Reign of The Sun God

First off, nice job on the piece. You chose a very difficult pose on the figure and rendered it with a high degree of polish and skill. That being said, I do have some critiques.

It looks like you're going for some forced perspective in the piece, but I don't think it's working as is. Forced perspective is tough to pull off, so I admire your attempt and applaud the effort.

It's hard to gauge if you are going for a pose that has him with his arm out-thrust toward the viewer, or if it is meant to be interpreted that he is being seem from the side. The direction of his head and the fact that his side and back muscles are visible would indicate that you were going for the former.

Unfortunately, his torso is offset just a smidge too far from his head. If you select that forward arm and his torso and move them over just a tiny bit to the right, I think you'll better achieve the look you seem to be going for. Don't worry about obscuring that rear arm. You shouldn't see much of it from that angle anyway.

Likewise, to further indicate that his body is turned and that the arm is toward the viewer, you should probably consider moving the forearm over to the right more, so that more of the upper arm is obscured. Also, consider scaling the forearm up a bit. Things that are closer like that should be slightly larger. In fact, judging from the implied perspective, I would wager that the forward hand should probably be close to a quarter larger than the rear hand.

As for the hand, we should really be seeing more of the top of it. Right now, it seems like way too much of the bottom of the hand is visible. The top part of a hand is fairly substantial, and would block view of all but just the barest indication of a couple of the fingers and would almost completely obscure the thumb from that angle.

There are some other suggestions I could make to the piece, but I'm starting to sound like I'm trashing your work. Please don't take it that way. It's a great piece conceptually, and I see a lot of potential in the piece. I really think that it could be incredible with some tweaks to it.

Take any input from me with a grain of salt. This is your piece and you are free to leave it as is. Even if you keep the piece as is, I hope that maybe down the road you can revisit it and make some adjustments to the anatomy. I really do think this could be a fantastic piece with some minor TLC.

Once again, great job on the execution. Keep up the good work.

ItsBaxter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ItsBaxter
Re: 1984 B.C.

Great design. I will be all over one of these if it prints.

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ
darkishstar wrote:It kinda looks like the robot just broke a piece of the pyramid off instead of it looking like it's helping build the pyramid.

It would probably be better or clearer if the robot was putting on a block of stone at a time or holding separate blocks.

total agreement with this statement. plus there was a reason this one didnt win last time around.

shan24

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24

Love it. The engraving looks awesome. I guess the ancient Egyptians really were back to the future!

Reawen

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Reawen

So clever! I don't usually do creme shirts, but I will be all over this one if it prints. And the it will be all over me. ^_^

hamblindave

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hamblindave
Re: Eye of Ra

From Wikipedia: "An ancient Egyptian symbol of protection and royal power from deities, in this case from Horus or Ra. Horus was an ancient Egyptian sky god known as Ra and was pictured in the form of a falcon."

D3lusional

quality posts: 2 Private Messages D3lusional
x3xleggedxninja wrote:It seems to me that the video game ban lasted almost 7 months, which to me isn't short lived. I think one video game reference shirt a month would be nice to have printed, definitely not every derby but not every 7 months either. I wouldn't vote for a video game entry that I wouldn't get, but I grew up with Super Nintendo and all of that, and if I had to choose having video game references over cute bunnies, that's a no brainer for me.

Nonetheless, I don't want to see them all the time and I do see it kind of as a cheap way to win, so the ban is necessary, but that doesn't mean I want them gone forever either. Like video games, and I love Mario!

It lasted 16 derbys, I will give you that it was about twice as long as I thought but not 7 months. I understand why people like them, "Oh I used to play that game, cool!!!", but how many do you need? Do you really want to be that guy who is known for his array of pop culture/video game T-shirts? I really shouldn't complain I know these shirts will always be on top I just get worked up sometimes when I see how shallow the average joe's taste is.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: Khepri

Thanks for all the votes and nice comments!

Atterologia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Atterologia

Love it.

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
Re: Eternal Love

I really can't fathom how this only has 9 votes. It's better than some of the shirts in the fog. Really nicely done.

lucky1988

quality posts: 23 Private Messages lucky1988

Very clever design, nice work tgentry!

x3xleggedxninja

quality posts: 3 Private Messages x3xleggedxninja
D3lusional wrote:It lasted 16 derbys, I will give you that it was about twice as long as I thought but not 7 months. I understand why people like them, "Oh I used to play that game, cool!!!", but how many do you need? Do you really want to be that guy who is known for his array of pop culture/video game T-shirts? I really shouldn't complain I know these shirts will always be on top I just get worked up sometimes when I see how shallow the average joe's taste is.

I actually don't have a single pop culture/video game tshirt, so this would be my first one. I agree, I don't think that anyone needs to have 8 Mario related shirts, but for some people who recently joined Woot and haven't seen a single video game shirt, why not allow them to pop up every once in a while and have the chance to buy one? There are some great designs on this site but, in the case of cute bunnies and video games, people end up buying what they want to actually wear. These types of shirts shouldn't pop up constantly in every single derby because we get sick of it fast, but that doesn't mean they should never appear. Not everyone buying a shirt has bought from Woot before, nor does everyone already have a Mario or Zelda shirt in their closet, let alone an "array of pop culture/video game T-shirts."

lucky1988

Re: Khepri

Love all the intricate line work!

lucky1988

Re: The Puzzle of the Pyramids

Awesome graphic. I wish you had added some subtle streaks of color in front of the descending "tetris" pieces, because the ray beam to me looks like it's behind the blocks, not encapsulating them. Nice shading and highlights though.

lucky1988

Re: Not a Journey album cover

I think this is very groovy! gmv!

supersonic213

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supersonic213
Re: Just Tell My Wife I'm Bowling

Best shirt in the derby! LOVE the colors and the way the spotlight takes up the shirt.

The guys at the new SONIC drive-in told me to have a supersonic day. And I did!

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
x3xleggedxninja wrote:I actually don't have a single pop culture/video game tshirt, so this would be my first one. I agree, I don't think that anyone needs to have 8 Mario related shirts, but for some people who recently joined Woot and haven't seen a single video game shirt, why not allow them to pop up every once in a while and have the chance to buy one? There are some great designs on this site but, in the case of cute bunnies and video games, people end up buying what they want to actually wear. These types of shirts shouldn't pop up constantly in every single derby because we get sick of it fast, but that doesn't mean they should never appear. Not everyone buying a shirt has bought from Woot before, nor does everyone already have a Mario or Zelda shirt in their closet, let alone an "array of pop culture/video game T-shirts."

The ban was put down after this won the flora derby. The issue with video game references is that they are rarely judged based on the quality of the design and get votes because, "I like Mario. GMV!" Without Mario up there, this design would be sitting around 40-100 votes which means it's gotten over half of its votes just for having Mario on it.

It's clear than many people don't care about taking advantage of an existing fanbase, but many people would also like to see good quality designs winning derbies and this one, just like the previous one I linked, isn't really in the class of some of the really good designs this week.

As for new people have a right to get a video game shirt because they missed them, the idea is completely ludicrous. However, teetrade.org has several sizes for the four Mario designs I can think of off the top of my head. Spicy Italian Meatball, Mario in the style of Rembrandt, Battle Fungale, To the Top in the style of Di Vinci so all the new people have plenty of choices not to mention there are hosts of websites that dedicate their entire catalog to vintage video game references. We really don't need it here.

obbobbo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages obbobbo
hamblindave wrote:From Wikipedia: "An ancient Egyptian symbol of protection and royal power from deities, in this case from Horus or Ra. Horus was an ancient Egyptian sky god known as Ra and was pictured in the form of a falcon."

Thanks for the educational tidbit. Gotta love Wikipedia.

kender42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kender42
mrwednesday wrote:You've listed 7 minor changes. One is the shirt color which doesn't count so we are down to 6. One is just a blue background around the clouds so they show up on the new shirt color. We can count that as a change even though we shouldn't 1, 5, 6, 7 aren't changes at all but just optical differences resulting from changing the shirt color and adding the background so we are down to 2 changes. The guy with the remote is slightly larger but this is done just by selecting that element and dragging it larger the same way you'd make your browser window larger and smaller.

Even if we count it that leaves us with 2 incredibly minor changes and absolutely no fundamental changes of the design or the concept or the execution.

I just listed the changes I saw. I never said they were major changes. I simply said that it might be considered a major change when all things are factored in. I do not think that you can say that "1, 5, 6, 7 aren't changes at all but just optical differences resulting from changing the shirt color" w/out a closer view of both of them. When I look at them I see changes. If I had a close up of both of them to examine and it became obvious that it was an 'optical' difference then I would probably agree with you. I also maintain that adding a new color to the design is still a change, sure you trivilize it by saying he is just adding it as a background. In the end I think we are going to see a typical REJECTOR pass on this. You know and I know it. Is it right? With out the close up I can't say one way or the other. However, we both know that right or wrong hasn't made a difference to Woot! in the past.

sentrymikasha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sentrymikasha
Re: Egypt In Suburbia

I think if you would have put the pyramid in the kids sandbox it would have been even better. Nice job. I like how you managed to work in a few extra animals Egyptian style.

CaboLH

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CaboLH

This has potential. The execution, however, is poor and does not GMV.

Given the amount of time to do this project I would expect well drawn pyramids, a clear message that the robot is helping build the pyramid, and a better drawn controller guy.

sentrymikasha

Re: Solar Scarab

I like it. Nice clean lines on the hieroglyphics. Good color on the scarab. I think this is a solid design and very wearable.

sentrymikasha

Back to the Future reference for the win! This is a great idea and I love how you did it with the hieroglyphics.

D1C0M

quality posts: 0 Private Messages D1C0M
andrewdanger wrote:this looks a little too similar to this.

I hope it doesn't get rejected.

I'm not sure why it would be rejected based on what you posted. Could you please expand on your rejection concern?

nismomonkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nismomonkey
D1C0M wrote:I'm not sure why it would be rejected based on what you posted. Could you please expand on your rejection concern?

i think it was a joke.

Good one Boots, you need to get a win, I cant believe you haven't with the ones youve been putting up lately. Crazy wooters dont understand design i guess...