adriancontreras

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adriancontreras

Congrats!

robio

quality posts: 37 Private Messages robio
Radien wrote:Well, the DeLorean wouldn't gain any speed after it hit the ground, so it'd have to reach 88 MPH during its decent down the pyramid, thus disappearing and leaving the flaming tracks at the base of the pyramid.

I'd think the real problem would be the fact that the pyramids didn't actually have smooth slopes. It'd be a really bumpy ride, making it difficult to achieve the required speed.

For that matter, how did Marty and Doc fly the DeLorean all the way over to Egypt in the first place? That's quite a long way from Hill Valley...

You're mistaken about the sides of the pyramids. At the time they were built, they did have smooth surfaces, layered atop the structures we see now. There's still remnants of the smoother surface atop the Pyramid of Khafre (the "middle" one).

Still not clear what these are:

Sokudoningyou

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Sokudoningyou

Uuurgghh...no...money...would totally...buy...

Seriously. What bad timing. Unemployment looks to be ready to bite me in the ass and quit sending me money, and you put up an awesome shirt that I actually want. Damn you, Woot. Damn you.

darianwiccan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages darianwiccan
robio wrote:You're mistaken about the sides of the pyramids. At the time they were built, they did have smooth surfaces, layered atop the structures we see now. There's still remnants of the smoother surface atop the Pyramid of Khafre (the "middle" one).

I'm thinking perhaps the stand of pine trees and space alien scene.

Edit: In for 1. Darth Vader came down from the planet Vulcan and told me if I didn't buy one of these shirts that he'd melt my brain.

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

1.21 gigawatts?!!!

Congrats on the much-deserved win, TG! This is genius.

edit:
bought.

1985 B.C.
Ongoing Sale: 11565 (live in 18h 35m)
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: thejumboface
Speed to first woot: 0m 3.827s
Last wooter to woot: Jestik

Smoothesuede

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Smoothesuede

I wasn't a fan until the glyph-by-glyph explanation was outlined in the last page. That makes it much more epic, and I'm glad that it's an original story instead of a stamping of pre-established awesomeness into Egypt.

Had I figured it out before today, I'd have voted for it... But I suppose it didn't need me, hah. 'Grats on the print. Not for me, though(not into those movies).

Draug

quality posts: 69 Private Messages Draug
tgentry wrote:Holy @$%!. I did not expect that at all. Thanks everyone that voted for it! And to woot for fixing the flub in my title.

lol You deserved it, tgentry! Woot woot!

The enemy's gate is down.
Writers are people too! (Albeit strange ones.)
Save Poe! Reckon Nevermore! Or he'll be head-locked forevermore!

Imposter

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Imposter
robio wrote:

Ditto the query. Before the glyph by glyph explanation, I thought it retold the story from the beginning of the movie: That the lightning was Doc arriving in the Delorean and the vertical figures were the pines from Twin Pines Mall. But can anyone tell me (us) what we're not seeing in these two?

-Imp

dave17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dave17
acschaab wrote:Close, but the actual line that George McFly says to Lorraine in a disastrously-hilarious come-on attempt is "My density has popped me to you."

Everybody's got it wrong.Youtube to the rescue!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8bRciuMLqQ

antidote859

quality posts: 3 Private Messages antidote859

Someone answer this question please - why has the voting been down so much in the past few derbies?
In the months before, it was common to see shirts get votes up to almost 1500. Now, it's a miracle to see a shirt break 900 votes.

So, is this due to people giving up on voting (read: leaving this site), people simply not liking the designs, or people distributing their votes more now that more shirts are in the fog?

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240

Congrats. Really impressive for not being submitted right off the bat.

texasthorn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages texasthorn

thinks this shirt is extremely funny

i8id

quality posts: 0 Private Messages i8id

Simple question from a new Wooter. New to the shirts anyway. I love the shirt. If the size is uncomfortable, can it be exchanged for a different size?

nmarsceill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nmarsceill
robio wrote:

He went on to explain in the submission that they don't mean anything, he wanted some actual hieroglyphics on the shirt.

The double pine i believe can relate to a love story he said. check out the derby page and look for his explanation - it was a few days ago.

LesReed

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LesReed
antidote859 wrote:Someone answer this question please - why has the voting been down so much in the past few derbies?
In the months before, it was common to see shirts get votes up to almost 1500. Now, it's a miracle to see a shirt break 900 votes.

So, is this due to people giving up on voting (read: leaving this site), people simply not liking the designs, or people distributing their votes more now that more shirts are in the fog?

That is a good question, I was thinking the same thing. Admittedly, I don't make the time to look at the derby every week which I used to do. I have a feeling shirt woot sales are good though. Any other thoughts?

On the fence on this one. I like it, but I am pretty sure I will have to explain it to most people.

MadamAtom

quality posts: 7 Private Messages MadamAtom

Here's the artist's explanation from the derby thread.

I got curious and read the rest of the story in the link he provides. On page 2, the two-reed glyph is translated as "meal". So here's my interpretation:

"A strange chariot arrived on tracks of fire, bearing a bushy-headed man and a boy who traveled on a board. They could not find any of their device's food to make it go 88 miles per hour, so they decided that it needed to eat lightning, which was coming. They brought their chariot to the top of a tomb and let it fall at just the right time for it to be struck by lightning at the base of the tomb; and then the chariot and its riders were gone, leaving only tracks of fire."

I'm waffling on this. I love the idea, but damn it's going to take a long time to read, and I'm not used to being gawked at for quite that long.

mitchellp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp

I voted for this shirt... but I'm afraid I can't buy this due to the tan stain around the heiroglyphics--which I didn't notice during the derby. Oh well.... maybe next time.

joshuarshultz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joshuarshultz
Zeusandhera wrote:Whoa, this is heavy.

theres that word again heavy....is there something wrong with the earths gravitational pull?

glowsocks

quality posts: 1 Private Messages glowsocks

Last night I was debating buying this one if it got printed, because as much as I love Back to the Future & Ancient Egypt, I'm just not crazy about cream-colored shirts. So I'm discussing this with my woot-addict sister and channel surfing when I come across BTTF III. It was clearly a sign. In for one.

miko1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages miko1
colinm09 wrote:This plan seems destined to fail. When the DeLorean reaches the bottom of the pyramid, it'll simply crash into the ground. The angle made between the pyramid and the ground is simply too steep...in order for this plan to work, the slope would have had to have been much more gradual...of course, then the DeLorean wouldn't have ever gotten up to 88 miles per hour...

At that angle, it should not be a problem to reach 88 mph before you get to the bottom of the pyramid and smash into the ground. It just might work! IT HAS TO WORK!

joshuarshultz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joshuarshultz

is there a possibility of overload if i wear this shirt?

jwilday

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jwilday
robio wrote:You're mistaken about the sides of the pyramids. At the time they were built, they did have smooth surfaces, layered atop the structures we see now. There's still remnants of the smoother surface atop the Pyramid of Khafre (the "middle" one).

Ok, these are actually pretty important. The upside down V with the semi-circle above it is the 7th chevron (locked ala SG1) or the symbol for earth, and I would assume the two upright symbols in front of it are pine trees. This would mean that the Delorean not only traveled through time, but also space leaving the Twin Pines Mall (actual location Puente Hills Mall 1600 S Azusa Ave # 965, City of Industry, CA‎) and arriving in Egypt.
...but that's just a geek guess.

RaveDroid

quality posts: 15 Private Messages RaveDroid

This just made my Friday.

Everything is so full of win, the design, the artist, the boards...the donut I'm about to enjoy here at work..
Couldn't hope for a better morning!

Congrats to a very deserving artist!

If you can read this, yourᅠbrowser'sᅠCompatibilityᅠsettings
areᅠconfiguredᅠcorrectly.ᅠᅠツ

theraccoon

quality posts: 5 Private Messages theraccoon

Oh man, so awesome, but cream... Does anyone have a photo of a woot cream shirt to give a feel for the colour? I've had a look around the Interwebs, but haven't been too successful.

brubakes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brubakes

I love the shirt. The more BTTF the better!

Symbiote213

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Symbiote213
sdsvtdriver wrote:i dont get the two symbols that surround the lightning bolt and the one right before the pyramid...

It's Twin Pines, like the mall.

skatimmy737

quality posts: 205 Private Messages skatimmy737

Cool shirt. I still hate manure.

acschaab

quality posts: 1 Private Messages acschaab
Symbiote213 wrote:It's Twin Pines, like the mall.

No, Tgentry said himself in the discussion thread during the derby that the first set of "trees" is a nonsense glyph he added to help the shirt have a more "authentic" feel. The second set of "trees" goes with the "pair of legs/ semi-circle" to indicate movement, as in "Pharaoh had the slaves move the metallic winged chariot to the top of the pyramid."

And now you know...the rest of the fake historical story! :P

--Tony

mikehsk

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mikehsk
antidote859 wrote:Someone answer this question please - why has the voting been down so much in the past few derbies?

I quit voting for the simple reason that ANYTHING I vote for is guaranteed not to win.

ham666sandwich

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ham666sandwich

Flying DeLorean? I haven't seen one of those in 3995 years.

tofof

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tofof
colinm09 wrote:This plan seems destined to fail. When the DeLorean reaches the bottom of the pyramid, it'll simply crash into the ground. The angle made between the pyramid and the ground is simply too steep...in order for this plan to work, the slope would have had to have been much more gradual...of course, then the DeLorean wouldn't have ever gotten up to 88 miles per hour...

Although the glyph depicting it shows the DeLorean at the bottom of the pyramid, it's obviously not to scale. Therefore it's safe to assume that it's at least potentially feasible to hit 88 MPH say.. halfway down the pyramid. Marty and the Doc would materialize Back in the Future at that same point, and could put on the brakes and come to a reasonable stop while still on the incline.

genericsmith

quality posts: 15 Private Messages genericsmith

I was bored driving one time and decided to go the fated 88 mph.

My car had a digital speedometer... After going downhill with my foot fully on the gas I learned 2 things.

The digital speedometer didn't go past 86 (must be a safety precaution)

and

When driving like a jackass on an empty highway if you see another car it's probably highway patrol.

I was pulled over about 20 seconds after I realized about the speedometer.

Highway Patrol: How are you doing today?
GenericSmith: Good... You?
Highway Patrol: I'm... doing good. Do you know why I pulled you over?
GenericSmith: I was speeding... a bit.
Highway Patrol: Yeah, and you didn't signal when changing lanes and your tags are expired.
GenericSmith: *Gulp*

He let me go with a "Well, slow it down... Enjoy the rest of your day"

Awesome.

Munchy Attack If you can find the name of this artist & real song title I'll buy you a daily woot shirt (your choice what day)

Dystopia Dark Lager, Where the Wild Parties at?, B.A. Bearacus, and many more wanted in XXL(PLEASE!!!)
Edgar Allen Poe shall remained headlock'd until Nevermore is reckoned.

Theologian

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Theologian
acschaab wrote:
The flux capacitor is dark (glyphs #5 and 6)

Number six would represent Marty's intial travel location: "Twin Pines Mall".

Number nine would be the broken clock, no?

-Brilliant shirt

aemilyz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aemilyz

Great Scott!

drewski3420

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drewski3420

It doesn't have to transfer to the ground, assuming it reaches 88 mph before it hits.

hokiefan104

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hokiefan104

Does this shirt explain what a jiggawatt is?

acschaab

quality posts: 1 Private Messages acschaab
Theologian wrote:Number six would represent Marty's intial travel location: "Twin Pines Mall".

Number nine would be the broken clock, no?

-Brilliant shirt

acschaab wrote:No, Tgentry said himself in the discussion thread during the derby that the first set of "trees" is a nonsense glyph he added to help the shirt have a more "authentic" feel. The second set of "trees" goes with the "pair of legs/ semi-circle" to indicate movement, as in "Pharaoh had the slaves move the metallic winged chariot to the top of the pyramid."

And now you know...the rest of the fake historical story! :P

--Tony

:D

jaylinb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaylinb

Wait, tgentry, you're saying you made a Woot shirt..... out of a DELOREAN?!

This is an awesome shirt. Definite win.

tgentry

quality posts: 109 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Actually that particular set of glyphs apparently means: "from the sky". No specific BTTF reference intended there. But I love that people are applying BTTF references to even the real glyphs and don't see a thing wrong with that.

arcsus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages arcsus

Even Snapster bought one, the SLACKER!