pilot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pilot

I saw a red DeLorean last night on my way home from work, with a spoiler!

I'm so buying this shirt.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

Nice work, Travis! I knew this one would make it :D Congrats.

kender42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kender42

Congrats on a great print!

gredka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gredka
flynnerdsp wrote:Can someone translate this for me? I'm not into modern Egyptian.

McFLY ! You Irish bug I thought I told you never to come in here......

theoneill555

quality posts: 56 Private Messages theoneill555

Who actually hauled Marty's ride to the top of the Great Pyramid of Giza (the only one tall enough to achieve the 88mhp velocity required) and how did they do it? Could this be yet another undiscovered Great Wonder of the World?

That's O'neill with two L's *holds up three fingers*

MissJamieD

quality posts: 44 Private Messages MissJamieD

For those that missed this post in the original thread for this t-shirt, this was an explanation of the hieroglyphics:

tgentry wrote:Hey everyone, sorry to leave you hanging on those hieroglyphs.

I got a lot of the symbols I used from here. The symbol above the radiation symbol apparently means "no". I used two 8's to represent 88, although as someone mentioned I could have used a more accurate way of showing 88. I figured having two recognizable 8's might be easy to spot.

The two blossoming reeds by themselves are ambiguous and could represent any number of things. Maybe Marty fell in love, or someone fell in love with Marty? Maybe it involves the setup they used to get back. I kind of wanted actual Egyptian symbols that might get lost in translation or not readily apparent what they might symbolize in terms of the story.

On the next line I made up the lightning symbol and combined it with "was coming" from the above link. Then the rest should be self explanatory.

Originally I wanted to have the Sphinx being the thing hit by lightning, with the lightning being what damaged the nose, and the two time travelers using that info to get back home (like the clock in BTTF). But I found it pretty impossible to get that information imparted in the design in a simple way. Plus Doc and Marty would have no way of knowing when the lightning might have struck, so I just scrapped it.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy :D

*edit* - I should note, when tgentry references "was coming" he is referring to the two reeds and the half circle with legs in the second line of hieroglyphics (which is translated in the link that tgentry provided).

alwebb2000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alwebb2000
colinm09 wrote:This plan seems destined to fail. When the DeLorean reaches the bottom of the pyramid, it'll simply crash into the ground. The angle made between the pyramid and the ground is simply too steep...in order for this plan to work, the slope would have had to have been much more gradual...of course, then the DeLorean wouldn't have ever gotten up to 88 miles per hour...

If the Delorean reaches 88mph prior to hitting the ground, it will disappear in the same manner that it does not run into the movie theater in the first movie.

wootchawant

quality posts: 67 Private Messages wootchawant
tqrnr wrote:so what ever happened to george mcfly?
oh, this.

i love the fact that this website could either be read as "crispin g lover" or "crisping lover." i plan to see it as the latter based on my love of bacon and chips. mmmm...bacon...

so wootchawootchawootchawant?! you're so funny with that money that you flaunt...

tehooper

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tehooper
Ben64 wrote:You're just not thinking fourth dimensionally!

This needs to be a quality post.

irulan

quality posts: 10 Private Messages irulan

this shirt got featured on /Film today!

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/01/15/cool-stuff-1985-bc-back-to-the-future-parody-t-shirt/

congrats tgentry!

arcsus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages arcsus

I'm from the future so I know this shirt is going to sell out soon. I missed it the first time. So I traveled back in time and got one before they did. Now, where did I leave that 2010 Sports Almanac...

pilotwillie

quality posts: 18 Private Messages pilotwillie

Congrats on sellout tgentry!

milafit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages milafit

Nooo I can't believe I missed out! Stupid Pacific time *sigh*
I guess it wasn't my density to own this shirt...

farside808

quality posts: 0 Private Messages farside808

WHEN THIS BABY HITS 88 MPH, YOU'RE GONNA SEE SOME SERIOUS SHIRT!!!

fyrefall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fyrefall

Congrats on the sellout, Tgentry!

yardenxanthe

quality posts: 5 Private Messages yardenxanthe

If you can't wear creme, just overdye the t-shirt into a color you can wear. Oh, I'm the only crafty one here?

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Overheard in the Office is on board with this design!

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

Slarti59

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Slarti59

Aww.... I really wanted this! I guess I want it bad enough to pay 15 for it tomorrow though =P

ressamac

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ressamac

Congratulations, Travis. This is a great design. Clever, subtle, well-executed. And the one morning I sleep in, I missed it. D'oh.

arparham

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arparham

Congrats tgentry!!!!! I am so proud you got first, even though I don't know you .

Wow, I thought this shirt was entered pretty late, I just looked and realized that wasn't the case. I am surprised at the low votes in the past derbies.

The shirt is great, I love BTTF, however, I would hate having to explain the shirt every time I wore it. Because, I must say most people wouldn't look at that and get it the second they look at it.

Also...I'm too pale for the shirt. A pale red head in a cream shirt... just wouldn't work. But it works perfectly for the design, looks like a story on a cave or on an old piece of paper.

Someone suggested it would have been nice on asphalt, nah. I have one with black writing, which I think you probably would have had to use, and it doesn't turn out well. You can't read anything on it.

Draug

quality posts: 69 Private Messages Draug

Congrats on the sell-out! :D

The enemy's gate is down.
Writers are people too! (Albeit strange ones.)
Save Poe! Reckon Nevermore! Or he'll be head-locked forevermore!

tgentry

quality posts: 109 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Thanks everyone for the print and sellout! I'm going to go celebrate with my cousin Marvin Gentry.

arparham

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arparham
MadamAtom wrote:Here's the artist's explanation from the derby thread.

I got curious and read the rest of the story in the link he provides. On page 2, the two-reed glyph is translated as "meal". So here's my interpretation:

"A strange chariot arrived on tracks of fire, bearing a bushy-headed man and a boy who traveled on a board. They could not find any of their device's food to make it go 88 miles per hour, so they decided that it needed to eat lightning, which was coming. They brought their chariot to the top of a tomb and let it fall at just the right time for it to be struck by lightning at the base of the tomb; and then the chariot and its riders were gone, leaving only tracks of fire."

I'm waffling on this. I love the idea, but damn it's going to take a long time to read, and I'm not used to being gawked at for quite that long.

The link doesn't work...

Though, I probably should be able to find it--ha.

marquismark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marquismark
tofof wrote:Although the glyph depicting it shows the DeLorean at the bottom of the pyramid, it's obviously not to scale. Therefore it's safe to assume that it's at least potentially feasible to hit 88 MPH say.. halfway down the pyramid. Marty and the Doc would materialize Back in the Future at that same point, and could put on the brakes and come to a reasonable stop while still on the incline.

By my calculations, they'd be able to slow down to about 20 mph before hitting the base of the pyramid. Fast enough for possible damage to the car but survivable.

--

angle of slope = 51.82 deg
length of slope = 186.34 m
rolling acceleration = gravity * sin(angle) - friction ~= 7.613 m/s^2

distance to reach 88 mph = .5*a*(v/a)^2 = 101 m
distance left for stopping = 85 m
distance needed to reach complete stop = v/2*.7*g = 112 m

KillerRamen

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KillerRamen

Sellout. :p

MadamAtom

quality posts: 7 Private Messages MadamAtom
arparham wrote:The link doesn't work...

Ack! I tried to use the permalink, but apparently my BBCode Fu is weak. Oh well. Anyway, it's in the shirt's thread on the derby page, a fair ways down; just search for tgentry's name.

sajhan409

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sajhan409

Anyone know how to get a sold out shirt? is there a secondary market anywhere?

aoviss

quality posts: 22 Private Messages aoviss

I dont say this a lot, but...

NICE SHIRT!

Got one. Why doesnt woot make more available when they KNOW it will be a hit?

aoviss

quality posts: 22 Private Messages aoviss
sajhan409 wrote:Anyone know how to get a sold out shirt? is there a secondary market anywhere?

eBay, or wait for it to come up on woot for $15 in the other section.

jabberjaws13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
robio wrote:You're mistaken about the sides of the pyramids. At the time they were built, they did have smooth surfaces, layered atop the structures we see now. There's still remnants of the smoother surface atop the Pyramid of Khafre (the "middle" one).

Still not clear what these are:

those together me "was coming" as in the lightning was coming.

Happy Beer.

jabberjaws13

i8id wrote:Simple question from a new Wooter. New to the shirts anyway. I love the shirt. If the size is uncomfortable, can it be exchanged for a different size?

nope. go a size bigger because aa shirts do shrink.

Happy Beer.

jabberjaws13

i don't care if i am right or wrong, this is how i interpret it and how i will explain it. it's my shirt now so my interpretation!

the delorean goes fast enough to leave fire streaks

doc and marty w/skateboard mistakenly go to 1985 b.c. instead of a.d.

they don't have plutonium

but they need to get to 88 miles per hour
to get the flux capacitor to run

to get back to the twin pines mall

they know a lightning strike is coming

so if they race down the pyramid

when lightning strikes

the car will return to 1985 a.d.

oh and congrats T on the sellout! so glad this printed!

Happy Beer.

FlamingoNut

quality posts: 12 Private Messages FlamingoNut

Just a great shirt, period. I couldn't resist buying one; I think that makes #37. Sheeeeesh. Congrats on the print.
I don't know what was funnier; the shirt or the board. Loved all the movie quotes ;)

mjamesk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjamesk
acschaab wrote:According to Tgentry in the derby comments for his shirt, this shirt is actually telling a different tale from Doc and Marty's time-travelling adventures, and not one that was ever shown in a movie (or the short-lived animated series, I would assume). Here's the story as we were told and have pieced together from semi-factual Egyptian glyphs:

The Delorean arrives in ancient Egypt (glyph #1) with Doc and Marty (glyph #2) in tow. There is no plutonium available (glyph #3), which is needed to get the DeLorean back up to 88 MPH (glyph #4) and send them "back...to THE FUTURE!" The flux capacitor is dark (glyphs #5 and 6) but needs 1.21 jigowatts, the exact power output of a bolt of lightning (glyph #7), to make it work again (glyph #8). They move the DeLorean (glyph #9) to the top of the pyramid and use the velocity of gravity to accelerate the car to 88 MPH (glyph #10), where it is struck by lightning at the base of the pyramid (glyph #11) and disappears, leaving twin trails of fire behind (glyph #12).

Hope this helps!

--Tony

I think the last glphy on the top line represents the pine trees at the 'Twin Pines Mall'? After he went back to the future, one of the pines was run over by Marty (hence the second glyph on the botton line)?

mjamesk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjamesk
robio wrote:You're mistaken about the sides of the pyramids. At the time they were built, they did have smooth surfaces, layered atop the structures we see now. There's still remnants of the smoother surface atop the Pyramid of Khafre (the "middle" one).

Still not clear what these are:

Fisrt one I think represents the Twin Pines mall (one of which Marty ran over when he went back). Not sure on the other one.

antithestasia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages antithestasia

wonders where the mother bit is represented.

edz321

quality posts: 5 Private Messages edz321
arcsus wrote:I'm from the future so I know this shirt is going to sell out soon. I missed it the first time. So I traveled back in time and got one before they did. Now, where did I leave that 2010 Sports Almanac...

When you find it can you tell me if the Jets win on Sunday? J-E-T-S Jets! Jets! Jets!

mattlscc

quality posts: 34 Private Messages mattlscc

I LOVE THIS SHIRT! Wish I would of checked earlier in the day. Great design, great movie!

Maraudier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Maraudier

Our Movie Genre This shirt is awesome I want one!