tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Anyone interested in getting this shirt: come back tomorrow when the ongoing sale begins. Thanks!

jorgem817

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jorgem817

Damn, Sold Out!!! I only saw this just now... I really wanted it too!!

zaarin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zaarin

Disappointment mounting. Can't believe I missed out on this.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

Congrats on the sellout, TG!

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

Maraudier wrote:Our Movie Genre This shirt is awesome I want one!

jorgem817 wrote:Damn, Sold Out!!! I only saw this just now... I really wanted it too!!

zaarin wrote:Disappointment mounting. Can't believe I missed out on this.

mattlscc wrote:I LOVE THIS SHIRT! Wish I would of checked earlier in the day. Great design, great movie!

sajhan409 wrote:Anyone know how to get a sold out shirt? is there a secondary market anywhere?

ressamac wrote:Congratulations, Travis. This is a great design. Clever, subtle, well-executed. And the one morning I sleep in, I missed it. D'oh.

milafit wrote:Nooo I can't believe I missed out! Stupid Pacific time *sigh*
I guess it wasn't my density to own this shirt...

THIS SHIRT WILL BE AVAILABLE HERE, FOR $15, STARTING TOMORROW, SATURDAY JAN 16.

dcathey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcathey

Using Gardiner, I broke it down this way:

First line:
1 - the DeLorean time travelling
2 - Doc Brown with Marty McFly
3 - arms in negation(D35) with water ripple(N35) means not(particle) over nuclear symbol - so this means 'not nuke'
4 - it looks like 88(as in 88mph)
5 - flux capacitor
6 - double reed(M17 M17) sounds like 'y'

Second line:
1 - lightning
2 - footed reed(M18) with reed(M17) could mean 'come'
3 - walking legs(D54) under bread bun(X1) could mean 'step'
4 - DeLorean going downhill or down a pyramid
5 - lightning
6 - DeLorean gone after time travelling

Based on the direction Marty and the Doc are facing, I thought the whole thing should be read from right to left. So, I guessed it said something like:

Line 1 - Y does the flux capacitor at 88mph not irradiate Marty and Doc Brown while causing the DeLorean to time travel?

Line 2 - Time travel lightning downhill step come lightning.

I thought it was a BTTF joke and I just couldn't get the punchline(line 2).

Radien

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Radien
robio wrote:You're mistaken about the sides of the pyramids. At the time they were built, they did have smooth surfaces, layered atop the structures we see now. There's still remnants of the smoother surface atop the Pyramid of Khafre (the "middle" one).

Oh really? I never knew that. I always thought the smooth faces were a modern fiction. I wouldn't have expected weathering to square them off.

I'm guessing that Doc and Marty would have had a ramp built at the bottom of the pyramid to meet the ground more gradually. Since there would be no ramp in Egpyt of 1985, they'd have to make the jump immediately after hitting the dirt.

But wait, a lightning strike is also required?!? That means it lacks fuel AND power. Man, those two don't take very good care of their time machine...

goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

Radien wrote:Oh really? I never knew that. I always thought the smooth faces were a modern fiction. I wouldn't have expected weathering to square them off.

You might have been thinking of the step pyramids at Saqqara, which are... stepped. Blocks, not smooth. (The Gizeh ones are actually pretty rough; you can still bribe people to take you for a climb (steep, but pretty easy on the rough surfaces) to the top at midnight. Not that *ahem* I'd know anything about that or would condone such a thing, nope.) But, yep, person is correct--the Gizeh ones were originally smoooooove. Limestone.

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129

A worthy sellout!

Papaya79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Papaya79

1.21 gigawatts?! Congrats, I LOVE this shirt. Great work as usual, tgentry!

aoviss

quality posts: 23 Private Messages aoviss
goldenthorn wrote:THIS SHIRT WILL BE AVAILABLE HERE, FOR $15, STARTING TOMORROW, SATURDAY JAN 16.

Hmm, so you're saying, what, exactly?

Haha!

I got one...but we can re-woot for another at $15!

How much does tgentry get for the $15 shirts? Anything?

goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

aoviss wrote:
How much does tgentry get for the $15 shirts? Anything?

IF I remember correctly, $2 a shirt.

eVil

quality posts: 6 Private Messages eVil
bluejester wrote:I so want this shirt, but if I get another t-shirt I'll be looking into upwards of 50 shirts in my closet.

This shirt is serious win on all levels, both for tgentry on design and woot for the write up and shirt condition. I wish

Rookie.

I have 50 WOOT t-shirts in my closet.

Hmm. I probably shouldn't be proud of that. Time to put together another donation pile.

eVil, not Evil.

Shigwarm

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Shigwarm
goldenthorn wrote:IF I remember correctly, $2 a shirt.

Correct.

qcassie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages qcassie

Got my shirt today. It's printed crooked. Very disappointed that I can't immediately wash and wear.

tgentry

Staff

qcassie wrote:Got my shirt today. It's printed crooked. Very disappointed that I can't immediately wash and wear.

Hi, qcassie. Send woot a message, they'll probably ship you a new one. Sorry it's crooked

qcassie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages qcassie
tgentry wrote:Hi, qcassie. Send woot a message, they'll probably ship you a new one. Sorry it's crooked

Thanks. I have and they've already responded. I'm sure it will all be worked out. I'm just bummed I can't wear it right away! It's a great shirt.

toycardriver

quality posts: 3 Private Messages toycardriver

Tgentry: Great shirt! I got mine today and it looks even better in person. The hieroglyphics have a 3D look to them.

clubjuggle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clubjuggle
chrisprender wrote:Won't wearing this shirt create some kind of paradox?

No, but Emmett Brown traveling back to meet his younger self would create a pair o' Docs.

tgentry

Staff

clubjuggle wrote:No, but Emmett Brown traveling back to meet his younger self would create a pair o' Docs.

Is it too late for a quality post on this?

arlia101

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arlia101

I realize this is rather outdated now, but seeing as people are still commenting here...

I was staring at the design, and have an alternative view on the double reeds for some of you out there:
They're lightning rods.
It would read something like, "The two men acquired two tall poles/reeds. To use the lightning, a wire was run (footed pine) down from the rods. When there were thunderclouds gathering above the pyramid (dome-over-the-triangle glyph), the "chariot" began to race down the side..."

Anyway, excellent clever design!

PocketBrain

quality posts: 46 Private Messages PocketBrain
clubjuggle wrote:No, but Emmett Brown traveling back to meet his younger self would create a pair o' Docs.

You are my new, personal hero.

phishneslo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages phishneslo
D3lusional wrote:Is the condition supposed to be "your density" or is it a typo for "your destiny"... perhaps I'm just being dense.

Congrats on the print, didn't expect to see this first.

remember the line from the movie, "i am your density"? google it.

InsanePirateDragon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages InsanePirateDragon

Curses, missed it. Anyone got an extra that they're willing to part with?

feinimation

quality posts: 0 Private Messages feinimation

If they ever un-reckon this one, I must have it!

Pretty pretty please with Mr. Fusion on top??

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

This remains one of my favorite overall designs shirt.woot has put up. Great idea and execution!

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

arismella

quality posts: 16 Private Messages arismella

The Back to the Future reference in "Today's Woot Creator" is maybe my favorite ever.

tori46354

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tori46354
flynnerdsp wrote:Can someone translate this for me? I'm not into modern Egyptian.

It's Back to the future. If you haven't seen it, it's pretty great and a classic

Jordbaer

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Jordbaer
sophiecabra wrote:We have FIVE years before 2015. Woot, you better start coming up with flying cars and hoverboards REAL fast.

Four years and nine months later, it doesn't look promising.