treykane

quality posts: 2 Private Messages treykane

Second shirt woot! Fantastic!

RandomUser69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RandomUser69

In for one. I guess it's pretty funny, kinda.

PerpetualKid

quality posts: 2 Private Messages PerpetualKid

Sooo yeah.

I'm black.
I'm also a cancer survivor, as is my father.
Oh, and I have a 5 year old daughter.

The only reason I may not buy the shirt is because of the pink section of the circle. I don't particularly care for it and it makes the inner Monk in me weep.

I never read the slogan as being racist or anti-children. Yes, it could have been worded better, but I'm not offended by it at all. The absurdity of it adds to the humor, IMHO.
*shrug*
To each their very own, I suppose.

squawks

quality posts: 7 Private Messages squawks

I can see the humor in this shirt from the awkward wording, but I'm not going to grab it in fear that others might infer the wording implies that children and South Africa are diseases through the general definition of a 'cure'.

Someone can go so far so as to proclaim this shirt to be pro-abortion and racist.

GTAcrimelord

quality posts: 2 Private Messages GTAcrimelord

I was hoping this would win, and now I'm content.

Day of Glory: 1/31/07 3:22pm cst
Random Brick of Carbonite (x3)

anjulka

quality posts: 5 Private Messages anjulka
PerpetualKid wrote:Sooo yeah.
The only reason I may not buy the shirt is because of the pink section of the circle. I don't particularly care for it and it makes the inner Monk in me weep.

I also wondered about this and was bothered by it so asked. Check out the derby thread for it. http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=39910

It looks better with the pink than with the all white circle for some reason.

skatimmy737

quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

The AOL guy has always cared about stuff... and things.

takethemeatbridge

quality posts: 10 Private Messages takethemeatbridge

When you suggest that a shirt is racist and then warn others that black people are angry and prone to fits of violence over small offenses, is that irony? "Don't be racist, because black people will kill you." I mean, it's not a black fly in your chardonnay, but it's close.

Anyway, this will go nicely with my actual collection of real charity run/walk shirts.

I've got a Crop Walk, AIDS Walk, Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, Donor Dash and the Diabetes Association's Step Out: Walk to Fight Diabetes in Philadelphia (they had free donuts).

I don't care about any of these, but I never pass on an opportunity to get a free tshirt. $10 isn't free, but it's worth it.

TXAG96

quality posts: 5 Private Messages TXAG96

Long live the headband!

Striped tube socks would send this shirt over the top...

hannibal301

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hannibal301

one minute too late

nodnetni

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nodnetni

Seriously sold out in less than 9 hours???? I understand why, but i really don't want to have to pay the extra 10 for two....

deeboe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deeboe

Bah! Dangit! I missed it?!

dberns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dberns

Best. Shirt. Ever.
And it was sold out before 10am (EST). You have to offer this one again sometime!!!!

magawa

quality posts: 1 Private Messages magawa

hmmm... children or africa?

I mean they need cured... not like ham or smoked meat or whatever...

Wait, wait, wait... are the children racing against Africa? I would pay to watch that.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Great job Boots! That's a damn quick sell out!

nyren

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nyren
takethemeatbridge wrote:When you suggest that a shirt is racist and then warn others that black people are angry and prone to fits of violence over small offenses, is that irony? "Don't be racist, because black people will kill you." I mean, it's not a black fly in your chardonnay, but it's close.

/agree

In my eyes, this shirt isn't racist at *all*. In fact, it's making fun of passive racism. It mocks the whole, "People from Africa are poor, starving, and can't help themselves! We need to save them!" racist mentality that was so prevalent in the past and apparently still prevalent in the now.

HansonMcCrotch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HansonMcCrotch

Congrats on the sellout! Looks like I'll have to wait until tomorrow to order my 2nd BootsBoots shirt.

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
deeboe wrote:Bah! Dangit! I missed it?!

dberns wrote:Best. Shirt. Ever.
And it was sold out before 10am (EST). You have to offer this one again sometime!!!!

Until goldenthorn can get here with a nice sparkly graphic, this will have to suffice:

You can buy this shirt starting at midnight for $15 by clicking the tab that says "reckoning". It will be the newest bystander.

(Now how many more people are going to not read that and suggest that woot make more and sell it again?)

elviswind

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elviswind

Congrats on the sell out, boots!

verybadperson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages verybadperson

looks like Alaska, Montana, and West Virginia said "F' the children and Africa!"

jtc13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jtc13

My first shirt.woot purchase

hooray

monkeyswag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages monkeyswag

Congrats!

nopassn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nopassn

I don't really get all the people talking about this being a racist shirt... Last time I checked, Africa wasn't a continent comprised exclusively of black people. Besides, it's not like it says anything about ethnicity at all.

That said, it's a damn funny shirt and me and the guys ordered up 7.

melisande8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melisande8
audient wrote:When I saw "Race for the cure for SOMETHING" and 1982, I thought this was a joke about AIDS.

AIDS didn't have a name until mid-1982 -- till then it went through a series of different names, as doctors were trying to figure out what it was and what caused it.

I'll pass.

Yes, I thought the same exact thing when I saw this shirt. I thought this message board was going to be a firestorm of complaints - but I guess hardly anyone else made that connection. Still, I would never wear this shirt for that reason.

bethlehemstarr

quality posts: 19 Private Messages bethlehemstarr

Congrats Boots!
I'm very happy for you about the sellout- and very bummed out for me that I didn't buy one first thing!

It's an absurdly hilarious shirt.

And for those of you crying about the 'bad' message, boo!
I donate 20% of my earnings to various charities (Doctors Without Borders, Amnesty International, my local food bank, Kickstart International, Action Against Hunger, a couple of other small local charities). I volunteer at soup kitchens. I am a coordinator for several committees at work to raise money for various causes (food banks, cancer research, united way, etc). So, I'm pretty sure of who I am and how I feel about championing causes.

This shirt is amusing. I'm pretty sure that by wearing this shirt, it wouldn't negate anything that I do, or change how I feel about helping people out.
This shirt is a little dark. It pokes fun at people who serve donuts at the finish line of the diabetes race. It pokes fun at the people who try and kidnap kids from Haiti. It pokes fun at the people who champion causes without having any idea of what it is that they are actually doing.

Once again, great job Boots!

bluetuba

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bluetuba

Boots has THE BEST sense of humor and it's why alot of her work is so good. The people who are offended by this are in dire need of a sense of humor, people with cancer like jokes too dumbasses!

Hell, most of the people I've known with life threatening medical conditions (myself included) tend to enjoy poking fun at ourselves and others and often have VERY dark humor. It's how you cope.

The guy quoting Miss Teen South Carolina is spot on, it's got nothing to do with abortion or racism and anybody who seriously thinks so should perhaps do some self-reflection and figure out why they are seeing racism everywhere. :P

Chickeninawhat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Chickeninawhat

Wow, what a quick sell out. Congrats bootsboots!

mrwhitmore

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrwhitmore

SOLD OUT! BOO!

syoung27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages syoung27

So how can I get this shirt now that it is sold out on woot? Will it be available elsewhere? I mean, I logged on at 10:30am!

cakeson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cakeson

I live in Boulder... PLEASE make more, I'll be the only person *not* wearing a real charity shirt.

minimeans

quality posts: 0 Private Messages minimeans

HOW DO I GET ONE OF THESE IF THEY'RE SOLD OUT? WILL THEY SELL AGAIN?

mikenytola

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola

Arg, totally forgot to check last night and missed out on the $10 deal. Bugger, looks like $15 it is. Congrats!

minimeans wrote:HOW DO I GET ONE OF THESE IF THEY'RE SOLD OUT? WILL THEY SELL AGAIN?

Wait for tomorrow and you can get it for $15... and stop yelling.

swordisamuscle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swordisamuscle

I'm still stuck on that whole 1982 thing. I understand it's just a non-important number meant to look vintage, but I swear I'm going to keep getting questions of "why 1982" every time I wear it.
It has to mean SOMETHING!
Maybe it means that little has changed in the method and subject of charity walks in the last 28 years. Ahh, yes...

GTAcrimelord

quality posts: 2 Private Messages GTAcrimelord
cakeson wrote:I live in Boulder... PLEASE make more, I'll be the only person *not* wearing a real charity shirt.

Don't worry, they have plenty they can crank out from the sweat shops Woot! owns despite what they tell you. As someone has already pointed out, you just have to shell out an extra $5. I'm just glad I was able to snag one for $10 when I had the chance.

Day of Glory: 1/31/07 3:22pm cst
Random Brick of Carbonite (x3)

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Congrats on 1st place and a sell-out Boots!

crowsnest

quality posts: 53 Private Messages crowsnest

man this is one awesome shirt!!!!

Props to the designer!!!!

Great idea!

@crowsnest531

crowsnest

quality posts: 53 Private Messages crowsnest
syoung27 wrote:So how can I get this shirt now that it is sold out on woot? Will it be available elsewhere? I mean, I logged on at 10:30am!

you can get it tomorrow for 15.00 bucks.

@crowsnest531

BootsBoots

quality posts: 36 Private Messages BootsBoots
swordisamuscle wrote:I'm still stuck on that whole 1982 thing. I understand it's just a non-important number meant to look vintage, but I swear I'm going to keep getting questions of "why 1982" every time I wear it.
It has to mean SOMETHING!
Maybe it means that little has changed in the method and subject of charity walks in the last 28 years. Ahh, yes...

I mentioned why I used it. Although, it still doesn't have that much meaning. I hope that makes you feel better, though. If you really want to assign some misplaced symbolism, you can think of the runner as a sinless version of Satan (I guess that only makes sense if you read the wiki on the book).

BootsBoots

quality posts: 36 Private Messages BootsBoots
minimeans wrote:HOW DO I GET ONE OF THESE IF THEY'RE SOLD OUT? WILL THEY SELL AGAIN?

WHY YES! YOU CAN BUY IT STARTING TOMORROW:

HERE! CLICK HERE TO BUY THIS SHIRT!

Puggsy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Puggsy

sold out already?
holy gristle..

I can appreciate good art, not add to it.