jerudel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jerudel
paigeg wrote:But it is very cute, and not in an icky way. Nice concept! I'm sure you'll get the hang of things here and be subbing cool stuff, in the right format, in no time. Here are the FAQs http://shirt.woot.com/whatiswoot.aspx#design and submission page https://shirt.woot.com/Member/ContestUpload.aspx with pretty much everything you'll need to know.

dang it! I really liked this one...

thatrobert

quality posts: 49 Private Messages thatrobert
Re: Spork's Lucky DNA

rglee129 wrote:Funny concept- the spork's useless siblings. Great job!

Thanks! Foon is really good at math -- I don't think she'd like being called useless.

SnowQueenVT wrote:...and the spork was born! So cute! Long live the mighty and handy spork!

Actually I think the intercutleried tend to live shorter lives but thanks!

jerudel

CapSea wrote:It's more than six colors, it's not on a woot shirt, the artistic style is different for each aspect of the shirt and I think that the horse might be clip art but I am not sure.

Sorry buddy. Glad you are looking for feedback but this shirt is going to be rejected for not following the guidelines for submission.

My bad! This is the first I've ever drawn for woot, but I thought it was good. I couldn't find any regulations about that, so I just went with it.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 282 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Chickeninawhat wrote:Skeleton soldier maybe? Looks to me like a helmet on a skull.

Ding! Correct.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
HeartlineTwist wrote:

Then again, that assessment is hard to make with any confidence because those weeks tend to be weeks when Ramy and/or Seki don't enter a design, whereas they almost always seem to find and keep a place in the fog when they do enter.

>sigh< And so we're back where we're started. I don't know what makes me more weary: the endless debate, or the endless chibi-fog. All things end, though, and I suppose, so shall these.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
clockcycle wrote:Nice work.

Btw, where do all these critics come from and are they actually reading what they post? Art is in the eye of the beholder. Size, proportion, realistic, shading?? humm...

Can't speak for anyone else, but I criticize because the artistic level is low, and because I am not ten years old. Any artistic argument aside, the concept is weak, and the sappy-cute style makes this no better than a Care Bear retread. (yeah, yeah, I know - it's a DOG).

jerudel

violentsandwich wrote:it's so bad, it's almost awesome. almost.

gee, thanks.

jerudel

CapSea wrote:It's more than six colors, it's not on a woot shirt, the artistic style is different for each aspect of the shirt and I think that the horse might be clip art but I am not sure.

Sorry buddy. Glad you are looking for feedback but this shirt is going to be rejected for not following the guidelines for submission.

How do I get it on a woot shirt? I tried, but it looks like it didn't work...

CityVelo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CityVelo
Re: My Lucky Day

Heyyy. Cool penguins! I like the activity in this design a lot -- as people I'm sure have stated, it's very different from your usual. The overall shape of the artwork is working really well for you. But you seem to be stuck in this imaginary boundary box.

For instance, the height of the meteors is just about the same as the helicopter on the left. What would it be like if you staggered them? Maybe to the same slant degree as the lasers from the robot's eyes? The background is really fun -- the waves are great for the depth you were dealing with -- though, did you try to space things out a little differently?

The mushroom cloud could be larger and billowing up and out of the design instead of competing with all that detail. How would it change the composition if it were fading out into the color of the shirt? Or what if it was larger/higher/wider/etc? The top of the heads of Reptar (I want to call him Reptar) and the robot is at the same level of the top of the mushroom cloud. By breaking that line, you might come up with a more dynamic composition. You might not. Who knows.

Another strange visual discrepancy I came across was the horizon. It's staggered kind of confusingly to me. Lowest on the left, highest in the center, in between those two on the right. It might just be my own preference, but it seems like the horizon should be pretty constant from left to right, even if there are elements moving forward and backward in depth. The hard line from the ship on the right wants to propel the eye straight across to the left, but it's instantly broken because the horizon is uneven.

Fun design, though. The choice highlights are great and the value is, as always, very well distributed. I don't know if comments like these ever get read, but I hope it makes sense and maybe makes someone think of how to experiment with shirt designs in the future.

designzoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages designzoo
Re: Change of Luck

Great interpretation of the theme, not to mention great design too. I'd buy that shirt.
Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Crime Fighter

designzoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages designzoo

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert

Very nice!

This definitely is your lucky shirt - the last entry in the derby and the fastest growing vote count!

Technique question: Do you go totally vector, or do you use a pen or a brush to do the initial work and then scan it?

InkWiz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages InkWiz
Re: They Finally Snapped!

Well thank you I am glad a few of you liked this. I too wish you could buy it

http://threadless.com/submission/323515/Blue_Books_Of_Sorrow

ressamac

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ressamac
Re: Lucky Golden Fish

@Andy47240

@walmazan

@LunaVance

@monkeyswag

@paigeg x2

@Nbr8sGirl

Thank you all for your thoughts and comments. I really appreciate it!

ressamac

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ressamac
Re: Lucky Golden Fish Watercolor

@mjc613

@EclecticMuse

@MaliceKaiser

@LilacWine7699

@Nbr8sGirl

@mouser882 x2

@brockart

@bassanimation

Thank you all for your comments in this thread. It is interesting to see that some like the black best and others this one (which is on cream) (sophisticated sounds good!). I will let you guys know if it gets printed somewhere.

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
bassanimation wrote:Awww man...no BLA...Im sorry Tjost, I tried .

I can now hound for an HM!!!! HHHHHMMMM!!!!

Haha thanks

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: my lucky shirt

Smoke and mirrors.

Ha. No, really, the initial skeleton linework is pencil then I scan and do it again in illustrator. Make adjustments, fix parts I don't like, then color.

I make liberal use of cmd-z.

Maybe I should record a video? But that would be giving away my seecretz.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

p.s. thanks so much all that commented and voted!

camoor

quality posts: 1 Private Messages camoor
raevynpheather wrote:Most of us prefer cute to creative any day of the week. Cute makes you go squeeeee! Creative makes you go W T F?

If this is a cynical reference to the Jhonen Vasquez comic book character, I applaud you.

If not what jmmbell said.

sonny2009

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sonny2009
artulo wrote:We've lost plenty of good artists already.

Yeah, and with instances like this current chibi domination in the fog currently, this site is bound to lose plenty more.

Not to be a downer, but I logically can't figure out why the real talent around here even bothers
with this derby. Creative, original and well executed dose stand a snowball's chance in hell against the belligerently cute and the pop culture references.

jeanerz13

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jeanerz13
jabberjaws13 wrote:great shirt walmazan! gmv! i need a good gambling shirt!

edit: i should mention, i showed this to my 6yr old brother and his response was, and i quote:

"why is that pickle wearing a fez?"

i totally lost it! gotta love kids imaginations!

At first glance I thought pickle too...but I knew that didn't make sense...then I was like oh duh it's a rabbit's foot. Maybe I shouldn't be sharing this. Maybe I should try to hide the fact that I apparently think like a 6 year old, huh?

hattopic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hattopic
bassanimation wrote:Quality post.

Because nothing says quality like misspelled words.

demonsmurf686

quality posts: 0 Private Messages demonsmurf686
Re: Murphy´s Law

Either you have some kind of psychic powers or this is crazy coincidence.
http://green.yahoo.com/blog/guest_bloggers/24/all-black-penguin-discovered.html

mikenytola

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
BootsBoots wrote:D'aww. I guess rainbow puke isn't that original. And you know what? I like that one better than mine, too. Phooey.

My take on it and why I think it's different and yours is waaay better, might just be my view though. All those other shirts I see alcohol very obviously in the idea. With your design I see it as the leprechaun is puking the luck onto the unicorn and has nothing to do with actually being sick or alcohol induced vomit. But that's just me. Too bad as I would have loved to buy this shirt. At least I have my race for something coming in the mail!

jerudel

Re: Tainted Luck

It looks like there are seven colors, but I'm not sure. Great job, though.

avhienda01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avhienda01
chunkydesign wrote:Just like last week, you managed to do a great job with this kind of vibrant colors, that suit really well this drawing style. The expression of the clover´s faces is spot on, and this design really works well with the orange t-shirt, who is not the friendliest of colors to use.

Wow, thank you so much!

bellarific wrote:Great portrayal of emotions!

Thank you!

And thanks to everyone for all the votes/ support! Arparham - thanks again for the idea!

jeanerz13

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jeanerz13
Re: Shooting and Falling Stars

That doesn't look like a Woot template...but I could be wrong...I haven't looked at all the templates. Also, it looks like more than 6 colors. Nice concept though.

rachelwootswii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachelwootswii
Re: A Lucky Vine

personally, i think this is really pretty and would make a cool shirt that i'd proudly wear, even if it isn't really "my style".
it would make a good design for pillowcases and sheets too.

savvyblest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages savvyblest
sasham62 wrote:This lady makes her own luck by crocheting it right into her afghan ... or possibly knitting it. You never can tell with these ladies.

hey steve! dana here...i like this one, then the dog, then coin. pretty neat site!

sakleehop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sakleehop
artulo wrote:Smoke and mirrors.

Ha. No, really, the initial skeleton linework is pencil then I scan and do it again in illustrator. Make adjustments, fix parts I don't like, then color.

I make liberal use of cmd-z.

Maybe I should record a video? But that would be giving away my seecretz.

But sharing is half the fun... really amazing work - I bow in the presence of greatness.

sakleehop

mintykitty wrote:Beautiful and Bold.

Even though those buggedy eyes always weirded me out as a kid at Chinese restaurants, staring at me eating.

They were just grateful that you didn't choose them as dinner "companions."

sakleehop

designzoo wrote:Very nice design.
Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Crime Fighter

Thank you and thanks for looking.

sakleehop

SnowQueenVT wrote:[quote postid="3831414" user="thatrobert"]

• Congratulations on winning a Best Loser Award!
  • This is not SPAM.
  • Winning a BLA does NOT mean this shirt won't print -- I'm hoping it does.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.
  • I've got my heart set on anywhere but here.
[/quote

Wow,No Way! Thankyou so much thatrobert and mjc613, I am very honored and happy right now, much appreciation! I wish you could have heard the squeal from my 3 year old or seen the smile on my 6 year old when I called out that I got a best loser award!
(A celebration around our computer)Thankyou thankyou thankyou!

Congrats Snow - but I'm still hoping that voters wake up and see the real artistry in your work and Freaking vote for your designs to print! I really don't get it - you've got major illustrators recognizing your talent and yet the vote tally is ridiculously low. I know it takes a while to build up a following but still.... Sorry for my digression, but I do look forward to your next design.

sakleehop

Re: Lucky Lois

Snow - I didn't even realize until now that you submitted another design, I was on the lookout for the genie - really cool colors on this one and of course, love your illustrations. You're certainly resilient, 2 designs this week. Looking forward to seeing what you'll give us next derby.

DragonCMNDR

quality posts: 3 Private Messages DragonCMNDR
doschicostees wrote:

So what did you do?

I used a pine cone.

Thats what the three seashells are for.

...Boyscout motto: Be Prepared!

Oxyminoan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Oxyminoan

Love this. Definitely my favorite design of the derby.

I'm so sick of cutesy designs that are short on substance and cater to the drooling masses that seem to dominate woot.

If this doesn't print, please submit it somewhere else. I'd buy 2 immediately.

kvirag1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kvirag1
Re: This Little Piggie

Adorable! GMV! :]

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 282 Private Messages Spiritgreen

While I really love your cartoony style shirts, this is undeniably cool. :^)

(I'm counting on Gonna Make You Breakfast getting printed in the next Double-take Derby!)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

BootsBoots

quality posts: 40 Private Messages BootsBoots
mikenytola wrote:My take on it and why I think it's different and yours is waaay better, might just be my view though. All those other shirts I see alcohol very obviously in the idea. With your design I see it as the leprechaun is puking the luck onto the unicorn and has nothing to do with actually being sick or alcohol induced vomit. But that's just me. Too bad as I would have loved to buy this shirt. At least I have my race for something coming in the mail!

Thanks, Mike.

weirdpuckett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages weirdpuckett
Re: Crappy Luck

LOL! great story! I don't want to ask about the pinecone though . .