marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple
bencaro wrote:This reminds me of another insightful design I've seen recently.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/vin-diagram

The pun's a bit better, too.

Ohhh that's good.

bonesandjones

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bonesandjones
blankzero wrote:Other items you might find in the designated region include:
- A freight car
- A hearse
- An unopened Hot Wheels toy

you obviously don't get the pun of Van and Venn...That's why its not a boxcar, that's why its not a hearse...etc. Its a VAN!!! I'm amazed at how few people get the pun. Sure its funny because it makes fun of vans, but it's hilarious because van also sounds like Venn.

animuson

quality posts: 14 Private Messages animuson

I feel sorry for all the people who are going to get stuck with this shirt when the random shirt comes back around.

tikimon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tikimon

Volvo -- they're boxy but they're good.
- Dudley Moore, Crazy People

draigun

quality posts: 23 Private Messages draigun
bonesandjones wrote:I'm amazed at how few people get the pun. Sure its funny because it makes fun of vans, but it's hilarious because van also sounds like Venn.

Uhh.. most people get the joke. It's just horribly done and many (MINI HAHA GET IT) vans often don't look boxy. A Scion xB is about as boxy as it comes.

CryptoNite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CryptoNite

So I feel like a bad wooter because I for the life of me figure out this "pun" any help?

enville

quality posts: 2 Private Messages enville
Gil212 wrote:"but has a painting of a naked unicorn on the side!"

...how can a unicorn be naked?

rather, how can a unicorn not be naked? Unless my mom knitted a sweater for it like she did for my dog.

soccertackle14

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soccertackle14
trucidation wrote:This would've been better with an El Camino.

Actually El Caminos are listed as trucks. My 70 SS wouldn't like it if you called her a car

brody3131

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brody3131

i think i'll actually wait for the random t shirt to get this one because it seems like no one likes it......i do, and i could save some money.

Slydon

quality posts: 18 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

Azraelore wrote:This shirt tells the world: “You Probably Think This Shirt Is About You. Don’t You? Don’t You? Don’t You?”

No one has pointed out the Nine Inch Nails song reference to starfuckers? Almost makes me want one just for that. Nice Woot. Nice.

I just KNEW someone would make me feel old about this.

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

derlbear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derlbear

OK, nice idea.. ok.. actually just an idea.. for a pic.

But are you serious? I can't believe that there are people who want to have a design like that on their shirts -_-

jel2301

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jel2301
chikinn wrote:The explanatory text at the bottom ruins the subtlety.

I don't think it does. In fact, without the text, it's a pretty useless shirt. The text is the punchline. Without it, I might see that it's a van, and I know it's a Venn diagram, and I might even think something like "Hmm, it's a Venn diagram about a Van." But I'm not going to think of the phrase "Van Diagram". That's the punchline, and it's required in order to take this shirt from being useless to being a decent viable t-shirt, even if it's not for everyone.

raebee

quality posts: 21 Private Messages raebee

made me think of this:

I used to love these books.

Where do you find a Roomba? At the Innba!

Ldyandrea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ldyandrea

I'm failing to find anything interesting or entertaining about this. At all.

Ldyandrea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ldyandrea
raebee wrote:made me think of this:

I used to love these books.

Ditto.....I read them all the time when i was a kid! I find it somewhat amusing that back then it seemed like a grand adventure....now we call kids like this "homeless".

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
Slydon wrote:I just KNEW someone would make me feel old about this.

That comment made me feel old too, but I just kept my mouth shut about Carly. And by "Carly" I obviously mean iCarly. 'Cause you know... I'm hip to these modern times.

stophe22

quality posts: 5 Private Messages stophe22
jel2301 wrote:I don't think it does. In fact, without the text, it's a pretty useless shirt. The text is the punchline. Without it, I might see that it's a van, and I know it's a Venn diagram, and I might even think something like "Hmm, it's a Venn diagram about a Van." But I'm not going to think of the phrase "Van Diagram". That's the punchline, and it's required in order to take this shirt from being useless to being a decent viable t-shirt, even if it's not for everyone.

I completely disagree. I looked at this shirt when I rolled over at 2:00 AM this morning, and checked shirt.woot on my phone. I zoomed in on the picture, but was unable to see the text at the bottom. I still thought to myself "Van diagram... fakon pun."

I prefer my punchlines not to be spelled out for me. The S'morse Code shirt would have have been fakon if it said "S'morse Code" across it. As it was, I looked at it for a minute... thought... "is this some computer code joke I don't get?" Then I noticed the code was made of s'morses. I put two and two together, laughed, and patted myself on the back for figuring out the pun.

Slydon

quality posts: 18 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

BootsBoots wrote:That comment made me feel old too, but I just kept my mouth shut about Carly. And by "Carly" I obviously mean iCarly. 'Cause you know... I'm hip to these modern times.

PRETTY PRETTY PRINCESSES DO NOT AGE

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

jel2301

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jel2301
stophe22 wrote:I completely disagree. I looked at this shirt when I rolled over at 2:00 AM this morning, and checked shirt.woot on my phone. I zoomed in on the picture, but was unable to see the text at the bottom. I still thought to myself "Van diagram... fakon pun."

I prefer my punchlines not to be spelled out for me. The S'morse Code shirt would have have been fakon if it said "S'morse Code" across it. As it was, I looked at it for a minute... thought... "is this some computer code joke I don't get?" Then I noticed the code was made of s'morses. I put two and two together, laughed, and patted myself on the back for figuring out the pun.

I also hate having punchlines spelled out. It happens a lot in comic strips. I get the joke based on the visual or something else, and then the last panel then has a character explicitly state it. It's annoying, and it makes me think they cater to reamers.

That said, I didn't think that was the case for this shirt. But apparently it was. I guess I should have come up with the phrase Van Diagram on my own. Maybe I just wasn't quite on my game at 3am or whatever time it was.

MathUhhhSaurus

quality posts: 59 Private Messages MathUhhhSaurus

I have a '93 Honda Accord. Now if that isn't halfway between a box and a car, I don't know what is B]

Examine Bindle of Carrots.
What Bindle of Carrots?

lovettmann

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lovettmann
ilta wrote:Well, goodness, if I knew Woot was doing silly Venn Diagram tees, I would have submitted mine two years ago:

That's awesome.

jeffreywitchdoctor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeffreywitchdoctor
phefel wrote:I bought it because:

1. I get it.
2. I drive a van.

Me too!!!! My van is sexy and not the least bit creepy, because I have a plastic dinosaur wired to the grill... Plus I can drive over those sad little Scions emulating Vans....

For those that complain about creativity, lets face it, There are so many Pop culture references on here its not even funny.

You cannot complain about creativity if you own even one shirt with a Mario or Star Wars reference on it....

Yes you are...

now hang your head in shame.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
Slydon wrote:PRETTY PRETTY PRINCESSES DO NOT AGE

Hallelujah!

EeveeFanboy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages EeveeFanboy

I thought this was the concept behind the Scion xB.

xxchange

quality posts: 44 Private Messages xxchange

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

short2055

quality posts: 0 Private Messages short2055
trucidation wrote:This would've been better with an El Camino.

My thoughts exactly, I saw this and my immediate reaction was that it would have been 10-fold better if it was a 'car' circle and a 'truck' circle with and El Camino on the bottom.

RipRap

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RipRap
cantstopthesignal wrote:Actually, I don't think anyone will be scratching their heads. It's fairly obvious from the all-too-unnecessary text. Without the text, it would be a little more clever.

Once again, woot has to dumb-it-down for the audience.

Woot has nothing to do with the "dumbing down" as you so eloquently phrased it.

More than 100 Woots (RipRap is better than everybody else, according to WOOT)
stop asking me to send you my used words. I recycle!

bam2379

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bam2379

Would buy it if the idea of the shirt wasn't given away by "Van Diagram".

KevinMCombes

quality posts: 14 Private Messages KevinMCombes

This deserves less buyers than Skatetown. I love vans, I love Venns, but I DON'T love this shirt. It's just ugly.

etarip

quality posts: 0 Private Messages etarip

This shirt is awesome! stop hating

blankzero

quality posts: 2 Private Messages blankzero
bonesandjones wrote:you obviously don't get the pun of Van and Venn...That's why its not a boxcar, that's why its not a hearse...etc. Its a VAN!!! I'm amazed at how few people get the pun. Sure its funny because it makes fun of vans, but it's hilarious because van also sounds like Venn.

Thank you so much for your assistance in pointing out that pun. I didn't understand the text at the bottom of the graphic when I originally read it; now that I understand the joke, I find this shirt hilarious, and plan to buy fifty of them.