This design is fun. Great colors

[quote]Re:

LunaVance

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LunaVance

I love the facial expression.

LunaVance

Re: The Mad Catterpillar's Party

This desing reminds me of the new movie. I love the colors on black.

LunaVance

Re: Blood text

You did a great job on the splash efect. Well done.

LunaVance

Re: Mad Ness Resubmission!

Being raised in scotland, I love the concept.

LunaVance

Re: Maddening Optical illusion

I can think of so many slogans to go with this shirt.

LunaVance

What fantastic detail!

Muppethero

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Muppethero
jasneko wrote:Oh, glad you find the shirt pictures more palatable! Thanks for your votes.

PS. Awesome!!! It is really exciting to think of people wearing it. Feel free to post photos in the 'Show us your woot: The official Post your Shirts' Thread, I'd love love to see people wearing it!

Not sure what one I like more!
Please e-mail me if you don't win... because I will still like to get these shirts somehow

[MOD: PM instead. We can't be trusted with emails. Seriously. Don't trust us.]

Muppethero

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Muppethero
tjost wrote:I like this color combo much better Jas. Good job

I love GREEN, green is the best...but I do also like this more...

sonny2009

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sonny2009
Re: The Clockmaker

I repeat myself often in the comments for your designs Drak, but this is really an amazing piece of work. The composition is amazing, and the elegance you mix with your dark subject matter is always so interesting. CrescentDebris, your colors are awesome as always as well. I can't wait to buy this one.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: College Madness

Jus tnotices that your shirt is a different color than your thumbnail. This has been a reason for rejecting in the past.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 223 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Aww @ Stellardig and fishbiscuit5. ^__^

And thanks to everyone for their comments and advice.

tjost, I totally understand what you're saying. Although Woot wouldn't necessarily have had an issue with the halftone if they'd understood that's what it was, and recent winners like Sublime and Stone Temple Pilots have used it all over their backgrounds, I realize that it's something I'm going to have to be much more careful or sparing with.

I felt sure I was on theme using madness as folly rather than insanity or weirdness, in future I'll just have to try to be on topic in a more straightforward way.

From the grave... I will return!

hl474

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hl474
fairnymph wrote:The composition, colours, placement and style of this shirt all really appeal to me. However, I don't really 'get' what's going on in the lower part of the design, below the character's feet, and that sort of bothers me - any explanation as to what that's meant to convey?

you don't see the grim reaper?

taninniver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taninniver
zreb20 wrote:It's an interesting design, and I like the way the prisoner's hand is outstretched to pet the shadow...

But the person seems to be in a weird position... sitting? standing? halfway in between? The proportions just look a bit confusing in the thigh/waist area. I'm no expert, but it kinda put me off the shirt. Maybe I just don't get it.

I intended her to be in a rather awkward position, actually - going for a slumped, half-sliding out of the chair. I thought it helped her seem more unbalanced, in keeping with the madness theme. I think given the theme, some distortion and confusion is a good thing.

genericsmith

quality posts: 15 Private Messages genericsmith
Re: Untitled Madness

I know your circle bits are from Xenoproboscizoid

I wonder how many other aspects are recycled from your other designs.

It could totally be a fun game!

B.t.w. I don't just have your designs memorized... I just got that shirt in a random and was like "What the hell is with those random ass circles"... Didn't even know you had done that one until I had searched for it.

Munchy Attack If you can find the name of this artist & real song title I'll buy you a daily woot shirt (your choice what day)

Dystopia Dark Lager, Where the Wild Parties at?, B.A. Bearacus, and many more wanted in XXL(PLEASE!!!)
Edgar Allen Poe shall remained headlock'd until Nevermore is reckoned.

SnowQueenVT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
Re: A Fractured Mind

thrawnfett wrote:This is my first serious design, so any feedback would be great.

Hi thrawnfett! I like your design and think it would be fun to wear, it really says "Back off Man, I'm thinkin' here!" Ha ha. It also portrays craziness very well, fractured images are often found in the artwork of some people suffering from mental disorders. The line work is nice and clean and it is also a fun design.Good job and keep'em coming!

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

cenobite000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cenobite000
Re: Vampire Photo Booth

A vampire in a photobooth seems like madness to me!

do vampires not show up in pictures like they don't see their reflection in the mirror?

lol

mcdonalg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcdonalg
mjc613 wrote:Jus tnotices that your shirt is a different color than your thumbnail. This has been a reason for rejecting in the past.

I don't know if you're part of the woot staff or just a concerned citizen of the forum. Given that this is my first submission and that I'm not going to "win" or even receive an honorable mention I'm surprised you've returned to my design twice to criticize it. That being said I'll consider what you've said for my next submission.

fabiofranca

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fabiofranca
fairnymph wrote:I HATE skulls, and TeeFury has made me hate them even more...but I LOVE this shirt. Which says a tremendous amount.

Nice but I guess it is not printable on Woot.
I've done something on the creepy style but as I also try to avoid skulls, I did something a bit different...

SnowQueenVT

Re: Captain Ahab

LunaVance wrote:What fantastic detail!

Thank you so much Lunavance, I am liking your design very much too especially (strangely) the grass!

Did you know that the sperm whale has between 26 and 30 teeth on each side of its lower jaw (and it has teeth only on it's lower jaw)?

I gave Moby the full 60 of course!! Thanks again for the nice comment, and I think your design work is great!

Also, did you just mention that you are from Scotland? That is very cool! (Never been there!!) Nice to meet you!

Stellardig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stellardig
loveengrey wrote:Wow there's so much more going on here than just paint splatter. I love how you made art thats typically meant for toddlers into a damn good design with a lot of complexity and meaning. Great job with both of your submissions in this derby.

Thank you loveengrey

fabiofranca

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fabiofranca
Re: Abducted for Life

I like one color designs... I chose to go for it also on this derby.

SnowQueenVT

Re: TheCrazies

Hi Luna vance, I wanted to compliment your design , the subtle colors , the great faces and I really love that grass in the background! Any one of these images would have a made cool shirt by themselves, but the 4 images are fun to examine together. Nice clean work too!

The Tim

quality posts: 31 Private Messages The Tim
Spiritgreen wrote:I felt sure I was on theme using madness as folly rather than insanity or weirdness, in future I'll just have to try to be on topic in a more straightforward way.

From the grave... I will return!

The problem with choosing the "extreme folly" definition of "madness" is that the rest of the derby description is pretty clear that they're looking for depictions of insanity specifically, not just any meaning of madness.

As another example, I'm pretty sure you also would have been rejected had you submitted a shirt depicting someone that was really angry, even though "rage" is one of the definitions of madness.

I think the lesson here is that it's important to pay heed to the full derby description, not just the title.

Insanity gets sort of romanticized as the ultimate creative force in movies and television today, but there's more than a slight difference between the savant with poor manners and the guy talking to his deity of choice via his Alphabits. So for this derby show us madness: the voices in someone's head, the swirl of hallucinated hecklers following your every move, or...something else. Yeah, you could draw a lonely-looking guy in a straight-jacket, but we'd rather see you conceptualize actual madness. That's high-brow, right? Finally, no one will have any reason to complain in the comments! Of course, even the criminally insane have their limits...

Looking forward to your triumphant return!

curiousme

quality posts: 0 Private Messages curiousme
Re: UFegg

This is my favorite so far. I want this! Great design!

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
repoman86 wrote:Someone please explain to me why this isn't in the fog?

because most woot voters are stupid.

VIIIofXIII

quality posts: 0 Private Messages VIIIofXIII
Re: The Two Sides of Madness

So this is meant to represent what people who have no idea what being manic depressive is like think being manic depressive is like?

Because I'm manic depressive (bipolar II, technically), and this design has basically nothing to do with any real symptoms of either stage of the disorder. Bipolar people aren't Jekyll and Hyde, for crying out loud. This is the kind of thing Google is for.

Stellardig

SnowQueenVT wrote:Hi Stellardig, I know your inkblot submission is getting the most votes, and it deserves the votes (I see a skull!!) but I am glad you did this one !, someone needed to do madly in love, (it was on my list of ideas to do) and this is a completely abstract and deep portrayal, love the two people and the relationship their closeness implies. Plus it's pretty!

Thank you!

This design reminded me of an old legend in Guam called

"Two Lovers Point".....

Once long ago, in the time when Spain ruled Guam, there was a proud family living in Hagatna, the capital city. The father was a wealthy Spanish aristocrat and the mother was the daughter of a great Chamorro chief. The family owned land and were highly esteemed by all, Chamorro and Spanish alike.

Their daughter was a beautiful girl, admired by all for her honesty, modesty, and perfectly natural charm. Her beauty bestowed the greatest pride and dignity unto her family.

One day, the girl's father arranged for her to take a powerful Spanish captain as her husband. When the girl discovered this, she was so distraught that she ran from Hagatna all the way to the north of Guam until she found a secluded and peaceful shore.

There, on the moonlit shore, she met and fell in love with a young warrior from a very modest Chamorro family. He was gentle, with a strong build, and had eyes that search for meaning in the stars.

When the girl's father learned of the two lovers, he grew angry and demanded that she marry the Spanish captain at once. That day at sundown, she stole away to the same high point along the shore, and once again met her Chamorro lover.

Her father, the captain, and all the Spanish soldiers pursued the lovers up to the high cliff above Tumon Bay. The lovers found themselves trapped between the edge of the cliff and the approaching soldiers. All the young warrior could do was warn them to stay back, and the father ordered the soldiers to halt.
The lovers tied their long black hair into a single knot. And acting as if they were entirely alone, they looked deeply into each other's eyes and kissed for the final time. Then they leaped over the long, deep cliff into the roaring waters below.

Her father and all who remained rushed to the edge to stare in great anguish.

Since that day, Chamorros have looked to the jutting peak above Tumon Bay with reverence. The two lovers remain a symbol of true love--a love in which two souls are entwined forever in life and in death. Forever after, the high point on the cliff was known as Two Lovers Point.

tacojesus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tacojesus
Re: Many faces of Madness

How do you vote? I can't figure out how!

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
theWanker wrote:

Should the carrot stay or go?

Huh, you know, in the full-sized comp I see a carrot, but the thumbnail, being hader to see - looks like the face has eerie orange eyes. Cool. I still think the carrot should go though.

handsomeape

quality posts: 0 Private Messages handsomeape
jupilberry wrote:Like this?

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=40727

WOW! that is pretty similar I am going to have to submit something else, thanks for the heads up, I can honestly say I have not seen that design before so I will try something different.

greenriverdog

quality posts: 1 Private Messages greenriverdog
Re: Hello, would you like a balloon?

Finally a shirt I would actually wear in this derby! This is really fun, love the colors!

paigeg

tacojesus wrote:How do you vote? I can't figure out how!

Unfortunately, you cannot vote until you've made at least one Woot purchase. It can be from any Woot site - regular Woot, shirts, kids', wine, sellout... Then, after you have an account and at least one purchase, you'll see the shirts have buttons that say "I'd Want One".

paigeg

Stellardig wrote:Thank you!

This design reminded me of an old legend in Guam called

"Two Lovers Point".....

Awwww, that was sweet!

happyapple

quality posts: 0 Private Messages happyapple

I saw the bunny first. I think that may be because I'd just been saying how I miss the references to Harvey due to the "No Bunnies" rule.

I love the illusion - GMV.

anthrochick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anthrochick
Re: The Two Sides of Madness

I finally figured out what it is about this design that makes me think Ramy is sitting back laughing at all of us. Nearly every part of this shirt seems to be an element in one of his previous designs. I don't mean they're just similar, I mean I think he literally took shapes he'd already created and pasted them all together than called it madness. Those butterflies have been used (and abused) in more than one past entry; that lady looks like the one from his "mystery" murder silhouette (the one with the book and the guy's brains being shot out); the sketchy Reaper may not be an exact replica of Ramy's previous Reapers but its awfully close (and i wouldn't be surprised if it is an exact copy). The rest of the stuff is just muddy filler and skulls.

Forgive me if someone further up the thread has already pointed these things out (I kind of hope they have, actually) but it seems like Ramy is just making fools out of those supporting him. Really? Are we this stupid around here?

And lest you defend these "similarities" as being part of his style, I would like to mention that similarities between designs are stylistic--but using the same images is not. This isn't like drawing a bunch of bunnies or turtles or cats that all look pretty close to the same; this is using the same bunny (or cat or turtle) and asking us to pretend its new.

Stellardig

Re: double personalities

If you do it just right, one color can work. Good job on you design. GMV

SnowQueenVT

Re: Madly in Love

The story that you posted was lovely to read, I wish the end was happier, I would much rather that their true love hadn't killed them, if by any chance the legend is based on a true story, what a sad story.

Nice to see a piece of your inspiration!

Ezshrkman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ezshrkman
Re: The Kraken Attacks

This is a really fun design!
I am a sucker for ocean life! Even if the ocean is a bathtub =)
Got My Vote!
Loco Luminescence

gre9del

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gre9del
tjost wrote:This has my pysched for the new Clash of the Titans Did you do this in Illustrator or PS?

haha it does have that medusa thing going doesn't it? It's actually 100% illustrator. Sketched, inked and colored. I did do an initial paper sketch but this version is about 40% different.