sacrerouge

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sacrerouge
Re: Seafood Sushi

Hey woot, if this doesn't make it, how about an EC?

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
Re: Scared to Sleep

Thanks for the nice comments all.

SnowQueenVT wrote:I love pillowy piles!!! I want that one on top though, the others are "freds" (thats what we call flat pillows in my house!

I PREFER "freds". I pack my little freddie with me when I travel since I can't stand those giant boulders you find in hotels or friend's guest rooms.

SnowQueenVT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
Re: Scared to Sleep

RE in our house flat pillows are called "Freds"

thatrobert wrote:I PREFER "freds". I pack my little freddie with me when I travel since I can't stand those giant boulders you find in hotels or friend's guest rooms.

See that is why you put so many Freds in your picture! You prefer Freds! (Thats a mans type of pillow!)

I still want that big one on top!!

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

vzfamily

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vzfamily
Re: Sunsplash

I love it - SO cheery!

matto1985

quality posts: 0 Private Messages matto1985

So deliciously creepy.....must vote.

dockboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dockboy
Re: SASQUATCH!!!

Dude, I've gotta have one, and you know it. Hence my recent shirt purchase. Anyways, my feet's are biggerer than your'n.

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
Re: Deep Blue Space

This is my favorite Derby design in quite awhile.

dockboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dockboy
Re: SASQUATCH!!!

Dude, I've gotta have one, and you know it. Hence my recent shirt purchase. Anyways, my feet's are biggerer than your'n.

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
Re: Sweet Saturn Swish, Sucka

Love this one!

johnmenger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnmenger
Ezshrkman wrote:I went "simple" on the design. I am open to feedback... good =) or bad
Thanks

I think you should've made it super detailed. That would've looked cool.

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert

paigeg,

Thanks for the insightful comments. I was try to go for an implied robe. Apparently, that didn't work so well. Part of the reason I left the robe out was I wanted the viewer's eye to trace a S shape as it moved from the head, along the scythe, to the spray can, and I was concerned a robe would break that up. If I have time this evening I'll try and come up with a robe I like.

As for GITD:

I've been doing some research into glow in the dark inks and I found out the following:

- They have a daylight color and a night time color, so the glow in the dark elements have to be in both parts of the design.

- GITD inks cost about 2 to 3 times that of normal inks.

I tried to keep those two facts in mind to minimize my chance of rejection. Using only 2 inks should keep the printing cost down.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: Satan's Salavation

Interesting concept. Whew, and I thought I tended to the darkside... Lol!

Just for the record, it's spelled with an "i" - "salivation".

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the nice comments, and for voting of course!

This design took so incredibly long. I can't even begin to count how many times I erased and redid certain parts over and over. I am used to submitting late, but this one was one of my latest submissions. Seeing it do well (at least so far) really helps take the sting out of what a pain this one was to come together.
Thanks again all!

paigeg

Lagbert wrote:

- GITD inks cost about 2 to 3 times that of normal inks.

I suspected price would be a prime motivator for Woot to reject GITD shirts. Good job on the research to try and mitigate that.
I also suspect things like GITD, full-shirt prints, back prints, are usually not allowed because they have much more "wow" factor than a typical design, just by virtue of being different. That would imply some kind of edge over the competition.
Of course, that's in MY head. Perhaps Woot isn't so egalitarian.
At any rate - still cool beans. It's so late inthe game, I'd hate to see you stress over a resub that wouldn't have time to collect votes. But, if you DO have time - love to see it! Who knows, it could rocket to the top the way one of the subs last week did.

paigeg

cmdixon2 wrote:Just wanted to thank everyone for all the nice comments, and for voting of course!

*scoots back to check...* Ah, yes, I did vote. Whew!
Just to keep the love-fest going - you had me at 'diagonal placement'. Lol!

jabberjaws13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
Re: Strange Safari

reminds me of fruitstripe gum. love it!

Happy Beer.

albinoapple

quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
DantesHavok wrote:As a UK resident I agree... Spastic is a very offensive word... To a British ear, it's one of the most taboo insults.

The current understanding of the word is well-illustrated by a BBC survey in 2003, which found that "spastic" was the second most offensive term in the UK relating to disability

Obviously the word has a different use and understanding in the US, this came to light when Tiger Woods said it live on UK TV about his performance which drew large shock and horror from many UK residents.

The UK and USA are seperated by a common language...

Spastic is an ableist term in America too, we just really don't care. We like to pretend we're progressive in regards to social issues but... that's just untrue.

krayziemuzick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krayziemuzick
capedcrusader514 wrote:Everyone loves supersoakers. Come on people!

Wow I opened this out of sheer boredom, I wasn't really interested when looking at the icon. When I opened this up I was surprised to see how awesome it was, people must not be opening this design cause it looks really well done.

Some one else said it but the very clear S the design makes really made the shirt for me. Originally I thought the design was going to be the guns shooting horizontally at each other.

Good Job!

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
brockart wrote:Man, that foreheads gonna have some razor burn...

That's why Santa wears bangs

repoman86

quality posts: 3 Private Messages repoman86
vzfamily wrote:While I think the face is adorable - I think many LOTR fans are guys, and won't wear it. My husband among them.

I'd wear it and I'm a guy.

NameyMcName

quality posts: 10 Private Messages NameyMcName
albinoapple wrote:Spastic is an ableist term in America too, we just really don't care. We like to pretend we're progressive in regards to social issues but... that's just untrue.

I think it is more that people don't realize it, the same way they don't know what cretin comes from.

nitetiger4

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nitetiger4

I love this shirt so bad. I would totally buy it!

lefthandedcrook

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lefthandedcrook
Draug wrote:I must reiterate that I've seen this somewhere before and I don't believe it's your original design (but I'll leave it to the Rejectionator).

explain exactly where you have seen it. Im absolutely sure i drew this myself. In fact I originally did it for some cover art for a friends band. I even have the original in my sketchbook. I never plagiarize, ever!

KromeHWI

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KromeHWI
dockboy wrote:Dude, I've gotta have one, and you know it. Hence my recent shirt purchase. Anyways, my feet's are biggerer than your'n.

hahaha!

thanks dude... now i just need at least 450 or so more people to vote for it... sigh...

il4jc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages il4jc

its upsetting to see that this design is not in the fog of war =(

can we print this shirt out ANYWAY from somewhere else???

this is an awesome design!!!!!!!1

Kijad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kijad

I dig it. Tough call between the others (there are a ton of good ones this derby), but my inner geek prevailed here.

paigeg

lefthandedcrook wrote:explain exactly where you have seen it. Im absolutely sure i drew this myself. In fact I originally did it for some cover art for a friends band. I even have the original in my sketchbook. I never plagiarize, ever!

Perhaps an old advertising campaign? I've been dredging my memory, and the Internet, but find nothing. The image does strike a chord, but if it is from old stereo or headphone advertising, it's likely that either it's subliminal, or just synchronicity. Either way, I don't think this is intentional plagiarism.

awkwardmoose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awkwardmoose

I almost would have liked the image to be flipped, with celestial bodies on the top right at the jellyfish on the bottom left, almost like the space descending into the sea.. But the design is stunning none-the-less. got my vote! [=

brockart

quality posts: 7 Private Messages brockart
Re: spooning

And all this time I thought it was the Dish that ran away with the Spoon.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Sleepy Sushi
jabberjaws13 wrote:i think the lil' guy on the left is the one that got in a fight with my innards. =)

Heh, I hear ya.. they can put up quite a fight!

Draug

quality posts: 69 Private Messages Draug
paigeg wrote:Perhaps an old advertising campaign? I've been dredging my memory, and the Internet, but find nothing. The image does strike a chord, but if it is from old stereo or headphone advertising, it's likely that either it's subliminal, or just synchronicity. Either way, I don't think this is intentional plagiarism.

Intentional or unintentional are no different to the rejectionator.

That's the thing though. I, too, have been looking for it again and I can't find it but I know I've seen it somewhere...

The enemy's gate is down.
Writers are people too! (Albeit strange ones.)
Save Poe! Reckon Nevermore! Or he'll be head-locked forevermore!

jewelwing

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing
Drakxxx wrote:I thought I would be clever and post a Fruit Stripe Gum comment, but I see you guys already have that covered.

And the post immediately following...

jabberjaws13 wrote:reminds me of fruitstripe gum. love it!

HAHA! Thanks for reading the comments before posting.

CrescentDebris

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CrescentDebris
grrlmarvel wrote:I would love to see your process on these pieces.

I know you're talking about Drakxxx but I can say with our collabs it always starts with one of his sketches. It always takes me forever to come up with something but he seems to be able to knock out a wicked layout in no time.

He'll send me a sketch. I'll either just start coloring with no edits, make a small change, or we'll toss the drawing back and forth.

"Clockmaker" was one that I made no changes too. I just did minimal clean up and colors. Same with "Close Your Eyes" from the Nightmare derby.

For "Zombie Doom Squad" I redrew the girl but left everything else exactly as it was.

I think Drakxxx will agree that "Wu Xing" was a pain in the ass. We tossed that one back and forth a few times. And doing the coloring was really tough with only 5 colors left (after black) to color 5 different dragons and not make it look flat.

"Alice in Chains" was all Drakxxx for the line art. Then I did the colors.

And for this one, it was different. Drakxxx contributed to the color. The drawing he sent me was already brown on creme. And I contributed to the line art (for better or worse) by flipping the image, dressing the guy in armor and giving him legs. Here's a shot or 3 different stages of "Samurai Showdown"

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx
Re: SAMURAI SHOWDOWN

Thanks for the support as always everyone.

My FF11 Online character's job was SAMURAI. Man did I play the heck out of that game. It's been a few years since I last played it, but every now and then I have this dream were I see the text log from the game scrolling, and I hear the distinct sound of the samurai's GREAT KATANA striking something that will yield me pittly exps.

...anyways I couldn't think of what to do for S, so I prepared to go to bed with my woot dreams possibly unfulfilled for the week, when I had previously mentioned dream. I woke up and said SAMURAI! I'LL DRAW YOU!

The colors were actually inspired by the recent Takashi Miike file "Sukiyaki Western Django", which had a dusty, obviously western influence to it.

lebrachick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lebrachick

This is a MUST have... i really wish there were a way...

Muppethero

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Muppethero
lozerette wrote:"Rejected because: Still off topic"

Really Woot? That's the reason you're giving? "Shirt" clearly starts with the letter 's' when in English.

I could understand "No original artwork" or "copywrited image" or something, but "off topic" is simply untrue.

Not arguing the rejection, just the reason given.

Agreed...If Shirt is off topic, then about 20 other S shirts are off topic...

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
SnowQueenVT wrote:Pastorroy you make so many designs each week, I really have to hand it to you!

I liked the picture of you as the mad scientist last week!!!

I like this design it looks good !

PastorRoy, SnowQueen's comment made me take a look, and yes, you do make a lot designs. This week, you made 11 entries, and while all of them are fine to look at, none of them are anywhere near the fog. I am wondering if you took the energy you use to make lots of designs to make one or two really stand out what we would see.

I am not crazy about your vacuum cleaner drawings this week (I hate the things) and I think there are already plenty of skeleton tshirts already available, but I think some of your other drawings show real promise. I hope that your experimenting will help you find a style that will work for you, so you can have a shirt that prints in the near future.

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx
CrescentDebris wrote:

Hah! We we're adding a message at the same time.

Giving the guy legs and armor was definitely the way to go man. And yeah, the elemental dragon design was quite the project, but a blast all the way.

jabberjaws13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
jewelwing wrote:HAHA! Thanks for reading the comments before posting.

yeah i didn't have time to read all the comments. plus sometimes when i read comments, it ruins the design for me because someone compares it to something i don't like or says something about it and then i am stuck with that thought or image in my head and end up not liking the design. so just posting my thought works for me.

still love rhinos, and really love green striped rhinos!!!

Happy Beer.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
NameyMcName wrote:I think it is more that people don't realize it, the same way they don't know what cretin comes from.

It has to do with colloquial versus denotative language. The word "spastic" is no longer a pejorative term outside of jest colloquially which is, arguable, the only definition that really matters.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen