SnowQueenVT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
Re: Sour-puss

(re James asks for comments on his sourpuss shirt)

jamesparksart wrote:Pleassssse, everyone tell me what I need to do to improve my shirt. I find the idea of a sour patch kid being slayed by a grumpy cat making it a sour-puss pretty funn, but I only have 15 votes. Why?

Hi james, huge cat lover here so of course I DO like your fat cat...

Only thing that did strike me when I saw it was that my cat doesn't eat gummies. It has a grumpy sour "puss" all on it"s own.

So it COULD have stood only if you made sure the face was extra grumpy...I also when looking at it, yearned for a little more detail. softness to the fur.(I also wanted him to have a tail...)

Other than that it's funny and the cat in all it's grumpiness is adorable...there is not a design here that could not improve (if we had all the time in the world to tweak and work...,! People pointed out some things on my mermaid shirt that I can't believe I missed, but I DID.) YOU are a rockstar for asking for comments...so here is one last one...gimme more of your cats!

My daughter (Age 3) just started chanting "Click on the cat! Click on the cat!"....how do you like that? She is so hard to please with tshirts...!!!

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

Hammylink

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hammylink
DianaSprinkle wrote:
Also with their eyes as black dots you can make them into a Stereogram. Where you un-focus your eyes and then overlap the images. It's pretty cool because when you do that it creates a third cat in the center that looks like it's sitting. My friend pointed it out to me. Very odd.

Ok now I have to have this shirt.

Hammylink

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hammylink
Re: Surf's up surfin' Safari Babe

How many colors did you use. It looks like the girl is black, but you could save a color by just using the shirt as one of your colors.

pastorroy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pastorroy
Hammylink wrote:How many colors did you use. It looks like the girl is black, but you could save a color by just using the shirt as one of your colors.

I'm at six colors with the black

nicohlette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nicohlette

I love it! GMV

novastarj

quality posts: 31 Private Messages novastarj
Re: Soaring at Sunset

Like the design, but did you copy this clip art to make the eagle shadow? And if so did you make the original?

SnowQueenVT

Hi thrawnfett, Your shirt is pretty...I love eagles!

Novastarj...
I am hoping that Novastarj sees this and has a chance to comment, it is driving me crazy, I do not know what a "deals woot rep" is. I was wondering if you would be so kind, since you have so many(!) as to tell me? Thanks, I'd really like to know! (Do you own a store? ...)

Or maybe someone else knows? What is deals woot rep! Thankyou
for taking the time...

nyren

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nyren
Re: Spastic Squirrel

... I was annoyed at the shirt before, because it was the usual "RamyB submitted something he put no effort into, why can't someone who wins as consistently as he does actually put in some time to take art lessons and not make his designs have such horrible anatomy/perspective?" But, I wasn't going to comment, since I've said that a million times already. The previous submission, while something I'd never wear, didn't really warrant comment. I'm trying to get over my utter loathing of RamyB, because while he's repeatedly offensive in his attitude, he never really went over the line. Until now, at least.

But, this one goes above and beyond the norm. I can't believe RamyB thinks he can get away with mocking the disabled just because he's RamyB =\ I don't personally know anyone who has Cerebral Palsy, but this is really, really offensive.

What were his submissions for the other letters? "Mong Mongoose" for M? "link Fox" for F? "Pardon me, I'm a racist dork. Chihuahua" for C? "balderee Rabbit" for R? "Hey look, ma, I'm a racist! Narwhal" for N? (Note how Woot filters all of those other slurs except for Mong. I'm sure you can still guess what they were.)

I'm not someone who insists on everything being "PC," but this is pretty bad. Given how many video games and TV-shows marketed to kids had to be given adult ratings over this one word, and the massive scandal when Tiger Woods said it during a game in the UK, I'm just really surprised RamyB thinks he can get away with this.

Yeah, thanks for justifying my dislike of you, RamyB, just when I was trying to stop obsessing over your repeatedly offensive behavior

(EDIT: filtered words hard-filtered. Sorry if I offended anyone who hit the "reply" button; I didn't realize that lifted the filter)

nyren

Re: Sunsplash

This was my favorite in the derby, and it was knocked out of the fog by a derogatory slur

sacrerouge

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sacrerouge
Re: Sunsplash

nooooo! Get back in the fog!

nyren

Re: Deep Blue Space

... still wondering if this is printable, because it looks really nice, but since it clearly is going to place, I'd like to know if I'd be buying a blank black shirt or not.

sacrerouge

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sacrerouge

May I suggest to Woot if this wins it gets renamed to "Super Caffienated Squirrel" or Sleepy Squirrel (for the one on the right).
I'm not from the UK, so I didn't know this was an insult, but woot fixes titles upon print if theres a problem right?

BrysonReb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BrysonReb

Uh........is the hula chick your own original design?

mbadie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mbadie

I don't get it. What does this mean?

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
paigeg wrote:
Personally, when I looked at this I kept hearing a voice singing: "I'm a little gummy bear, gummy bear... AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! @#%$!! Mother-#@@$%! @#$@~!! Oh, oh, oh!"
They used to play that as a break all the time on a local radio station. I don't know what it's from, but this captures it!

I believe the quote you are referring to is taken from an episode of Robot Chicken, as seen here:

http://video.adultswim.com/robot-chicken/delicious-gummy-bears.html

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
Re: Spastic Squirrel

As much as I DESPISE Ramyb for various reasons related to tee shirts and message boards I don't think it's fair to go after him for the spastic thing. In most of the world it's not offensive. I had no clue it was such a big deal in the UK and I'll wager most people in the US don't either.

Spaz in the US is a very minor insult, in fact it doesn't even have to be insulting, it can mean something as harmless as jumpy or excited.

From what I understand "the C word" is in pretty common usage in Europe but in the US it's quite taboo.

Not his fault IMO

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: Roll me up, Scotty!

Irreverent and funny! But, is that one of Woot's templates? If not, you'll get a rejection. Also, I'm betting the Starfleet logo will also trip the Rejectionator - copyright issues. You may want to modify and resub - quickly.

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
nyren wrote:... I was annoyed at the shirt before, because it was the usual "RamyB submitted something he put no effort into, why can't someone who wins as consistently as he does actually put in some time to take art lessons and not make his designs have such horrible anatomy/perspective?" But, I wasn't going to comment, since I've said that a million times already. The previous submission, while something I'd never wear, didn't really warrant comment. I'm trying to get over my utter loathing of RamyB, because while he's repeatedly offensive in his attitude, he never really went over the line. Until now, at least.

But, this one goes above and beyond the norm. I can't believe RamyB thinks he can get away with mocking the disabled just because he's RamyB =\ I don't personally know anyone who has Cerebral Palsy, but this is really, really offensive.

What were his submissions for the other letters? "Mong Mongoose" for M? "link Fox" for F? "Pardon me, I'm a racist dork. Chihuahua" for C? "balderee Rabbit" for R? "Hey look, ma, I'm a racist! Narwhal" for N? (Note how Woot filters all of those other slurs except for Mong. I'm sure you can still guess what they were, I have no desire to defeat the filters here, and I can make my point without doing so.)

I'm not someone who insists on everything being "PC," but this is pretty bad. Given how many video games and TV-shows marketed to kids had to be given adult ratings over this one word, and the massive scandal when Tiger Woods said it during a game in the UK, I'm just really surprised RamyB thinks he can get away with this.

Yeah, thanks for justifying my dislike of you, RamyB, just when I was trying to stop obsessing over your repeatedly offensive behavior

I generally avoid commenting in my own threads nowadays, but I think this is something that needs to be addressed. I'm not sure where you live, but having lived in the US all my life, I've never heard spastic used as an offensive term. If you haven't already, go take a look at the wikipedia page for the word, because this entry in no way implies anything about anyone disabled. In fact, if that were the type of usage of the word I was going for, it would have absolutely nothing to do with the image whatsoever. I was confused when I saw someone bring it up and went and educated myself a bit by reading about the term, but I think that should go both ways.

ixmustxbexemo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ixmustxbexemo

Slightly dizzying, but I kind of like it

ixmustxbexemo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ixmustxbexemo

I WANT THIS!

mikenytola

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
keemo0102 wrote:You don't know grammar two well do you?

I sea what ewe did their.

The word of today is "relevance". k thx. That's "OK" and "thanks" for the grammar police.

And what's the big deal about the title? This is the US and a US based site, not the UK. Besides, don't you call a cigarette a f@g? What's more offensive... hmm. It's called cultural differences. Stick to the design flaws, not stupid things like the title.

SnowQueenVT

"Scotty! We need you to change the shirt template , alter that communication badge , keep this thing to 6 colors and GET ME OUT OF HERE!"

"I canno' doit captain, I NEED MORE TIME!"

"Scotty.......we havn't got any time!"

"All right captain, I'll do it! How else can I keep my reputation as a miracle worker?"

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
nyren wrote:... still wondering if this is printable, because it looks really nice, but since it clearly is going to place, I'd like to know if I'd be buying a blank black shirt or not.

It should print fine.
This color scheme isn't too different shade-wise from my Chance of Scattered Showers shirt from last year.

Here's a pick of how that one printed:

Click to see the full image.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

Do not bother changing the template. This is rejection material because of the toilet.

If you don't get rejected, it's because the folks at woot are busy with other stuff, and they can be sure you won't make it into the fog. Between the lateness of the entry, and most people knowing woot's rules, this will not get enough votes to be a contender.

SnowQueenVT

cmdixon2 wrote:It should print fine.
This color scheme isn't too different shade-wise from my Chance of Scattered Showers shirt from last year.

Click to see the full image.

.........GORGEOUS!!

paigeg

Re: Sour-pus

How many colors? I think I'm counting more than 6...
You have a way with a zester, though!

thrawnfett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thrawnfett
novastarj wrote:Like the design, but did you copy this clip art to make the eagle shadow? And if so did you make the original?

No, I did not copy that clip art. I found a photo of an eagle and used it as a visual, but I created the outline myself. Everything I actually used was made by me.

SnowQueenVT

mjc613 wrote:Do not bother changing the template. This is rejection material because of the toilet.

If you don't get rejected, it's because the folks at woot are busy with other stuff, and they can be sure you won't make it into the fog. Between the lateness of the entry, and most people knowing woot's rules, this will not get enough votes to be a contender.

"Stand down red alert!" "All personal report back to your regular duties...the toilet isn't going to flush, I repeat the toilet isn't going to flush!"

...sorry! couldn't resist startrek humor is my very favorite kind...I do like your shirt but mjc613 is right, you have engaged the borg and your shirt will be asimilated.

nyren

ramyb wrote:If you haven't already, go take a look at the wikipedia page for the word, because this entry in no way implies anything about anyone disabled.

Evolution of the term in the United Kingdom
This section may contain original research. Please improve it by verifying the claims made and adding references. Statements consisting only of original research may be removed. More details may be available on the talk page. (April 2009)

This medical term "spastic" became used to describe cerebral palsy. The Spastics Society, a UK charity for people with cerebral palsy, was founded in 1951.

From that article:

"However, the word began to be used as an insult and became a term of abuse used to imply stupidity or physical ineptness; one who is uncoordinated or incompetent, or a fool.[3] The mental connotation derived from a common misconception that those with any physical disability resulting in spasticity would necessarily also have a mental or developmental disability. It was often colloquially abbreviated to shorter forms such as "spaz".

[...]

The current understanding of the word is well-illustrated by a BBC survey in 2003, which found that "spastic" was the second most offensive term in the UK relating to disability (balderee was deemed most offensive) [2]. In 2007, Lynne Murphy, a linguist at the University of Sussex, described the term as being "one of the most taboo insults to a British ear".[1]"

A good article on it

Mario's Party ended for saying "spastic"

The Tiger Woods thing

I could point out more examples/links/etc, but a simple Google search will turn them up if you do it. The word is highly offensive in most English-speaking countries, just not the US for some reason. Then again, R****d isn't considered offensive in the US either (though Woot does filter it).

I know Woot is a US company, but they've been shipping stuff overseas for years now (list of countries). Ethnocentricity isn't an excuse for something that blatantly offensive.

(EDIT: links fixed, sorry)

thrawnfett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thrawnfett
SnowQueenVT wrote:Hi thrawnfett, Your shirt is pretty...I love eagles!

Novastarj...
I am hoping that Novastarj sees this and has a chance to comment, it is driving me crazy, I do not know what a "deals woot rep" is. I was wondering if you would be so kind, since you have so many(!) as to tell me? Thanks, I'd really like to know! (Do you own a store? ...)

Or maybe someone else knows? What is deals woot rep! Thankyou
for taking the time...

Thanks, glad you like it.

I believe that deals woot rep is from the deals.woot.com site. You can submit good deals that you find to the site and get "rep" if others think it's a good deal. I'm pretty sure that's what that is.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
nyren wrote:... I was annoyed at the shirt before, because it was the usual "RamyB submitted something he put no effort into, why can't someone who wins as consistently as he does actually put in some time to take art lessons and not make his designs have such horrible anatomy/perspective?" But, I wasn't going to comment, since I've said that a million times already. The previous submission, while something I'd never wear, didn't really warrant comment. I'm trying to get over my utter loathing of RamyB, because while he's repeatedly offensive in his attitude, he never really went over the line. Until now, at least.

What were his submissions for the other letters? "Mong Mongoose" for M? "link Fox" for F? "Pardon me, I'm a racist dork. Chihuahua" for C? "balderee Rabbit" for R? "Hey look, ma, I'm a racist! Narwhal" for N? (Note how Woot filters all of those other slurs except for Mong. I'm sure you can still guess what they were, I have no desire to defeat the filters here, and I can make my point without doing so.)

Wow. This post is full of many more offensive things than the design..ESPECIALLY if you can see the words that have been filtered, which I can thanks to the quote in the reply field. Talk about blatantly offensive language...

Generally the word 'spastic' is used to describe someone 'hyper' or 'overly sensitive', at least in the US. I've been called a 'spaz' several times in my life, hahah. I've never taken too much offense at it. There are far worse things to be called (which you've done a good job of listing above). In the case of this design, it's just a reference to the effect of too much coffee. As a big coffee fan, and a person prone to drinking too much of the stuff, I can attest that it does make one "spazzy"...

I've seen people work pretty hard to complain about Ramy, but this is a new standard. I'm quite sure he wouldn't knowingly make fun of disabled people.

Woot will probably delete all these posts when they see what you actually typed in your rant. Yikes. Totally uncalled for behavior over a tshirt featuring a squirrel drinking coffe.. 9_9

SnowQueenVT

nyren wrote:Evolution of the term in the United Kingdom
This section may contain original research. Please improve it by verifying the claims made and adding references. Statements consisting only of original research may be removed. More details may be available on the talk page. (April 2009)

This medical term "spastic" became used to describe cerebral palsy. The Spastics Society, a UK charity for people with cerebral palsy, was founded in 1951.

From that article:

"However, the word began to be used as an insult and became a term of abuse used to imply stupidity or physical ineptness; one who is uncoordinated or incompetent, or a fool.[3] The mental connotation derived from a common misconception that those with any physical disability resulting in spasticity would necessarily also have a mental or developmental disability. It was often colloquially abbreviated to shorter forms such as "spaz".

[...]

The current understanding of the word is well-illustrated by a BBC survey in 2003, which found that "spastic" was the second most offensive term in the UK relating to disability (balderee was deemed most offensive) [2]. In 2007, Lynne Murphy, a linguist at the University of Sussex, described the term as being "one of the most taboo insults to a British ear".[1]"

A good article on it: http://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/2007/01/spastic-learning-disability.html

Mario's Party ended for saying "spastic": http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=168149

The Tiger Woods thing: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/golf/04/13/tiger.comments/index.html

I could point out more examples/links/etc, but a simple Google search will turn them up if you do it. The word is highly offensive in most English-speaking countries, just not the US for some reason. Then again, R****d isn't considered offensive in the US either (though Woot does filter it).

I know Woot is a US company, but they've been shipping stuff overseas for years now (list of countries: http://shirt.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=4906). Ethnocentricity isn't an excuse for something that blatantly offensive.

What on earth is balderdee? Did I just say something filthy?

nyren

SnowQueenVT wrote:What on earth is balderdee? Did I just say something filthy?

I have no idea what "balderdee" is, but it's the word that Woot's filter uses to replace a certain extremely common pejorative for people with a mental disability.

novastarj

quality posts: 31 Private Messages novastarj
thrawnfett wrote:No, I did not copy that clip art. I found a photo of an eagle and used it as a visual, but I created the outline myself. Everything I actually used was made by me.

Appreciate the prompt response. To the naked eye it looked like it was traced with a few subtle changes made, but I didn't want to report it erroneously without asking first.

And you're basically on with what the deals.woot rep is. If you go to the deals.woot website and submit good deals that get voted up (or even simply comments on deals that get voted up) it increases your deals.woot rep.

paigeg

nyren wrote:I have no idea what "balderdee" is, but it's the word that Woot's filter uses to replace a certain extremely common pejorative for people with a mental disability.

According to Webster, it's not even a word.
Personally, I wish they'd reprogram their filters a bit. Sometimes folks actually think you said what the filter printed. Like, The Strangers (2008). That's a particularly ridiculous one. A reader thought I was referencing a movie, book or something. Sheesh!

flamespear

quality posts: 4 Private Messages flamespear
Re: Surf's up surfin' Safari Babe

I love this, very colorful.

nyren

bassanimation wrote:Wow. This post is full of many more offensive things than the design..ESPECIALLY if you can see the words that have been filtered, which I can thanks to the quote in the reply field. Talk about blatantly offensive language...

Generally the word 'spastic' is used to describe someone 'hyper' or 'overly sensitive', at least in the US. I've been called a 'spaz' several times in my life, hahah. I've never taken too much offense at it. There are far worse things to be called (which you've done a good job of listing above). In the case of this design, it's just a reference to the effect of too much coffee. As a big coffee fan, and a person prone to drinking too much of the stuff, I can attest that it does make one "spazzy"...

I've seen people work pretty hard to complain about Ramy, but this is a new standard. I'm quite sure he wouldn't knowingly make fun of disabled people.

Woot will probably delete all these posts when they see what you actually typed in your rant. Yikes. Totally uncalled for behavior over a tshirt featuring a squirrel drinking coffe.. 9_9

Oh, I thought the filtered words remained filtered even there. The point wasn't to actually post them, but to illustrate that Woot doesn't allow such pejoratives normally. I'll go edit the post to replace the words with the filter result.

But, are you saying here is that, because the word isn't a pejorative to you or people you care about, no one should be offended? Because it isn't an insult to you, no one should be bothered by it? Are you one of those revolting people who use "happy"[filtered] or "jew" in casual conversation to indicate your dislike of something?

That attitude makes me really upset. I know I have to share an internet with people like that, but it doesn't make me happy

SnowQueenVT

nyren wrote:I have no idea what "balderdee" is, but it's the word that Woot's filter uses to replace a certain extremely common pejorative for people with a mental disability.

OH, thankyou Nyren, after posting that I thought, how lazy...I should just look it up!(Maybe it is balderdash! Did I just say a dirty thing again?)...If nothing else comes of this perhaps everyone will think a little harder before submitting or saying something potentially
hurtful to other people,this world needs to come together , not fall apart over insults that were not intentional,I really hope the folks who see this derby in the UK understand that we love the rest of the world and do not mean to
make insensitive mistakes of language , also to Ramy, I am glad that you did answer the comment and I am sure that you would change the name immediately if you could.

nyren

cmdixon2 wrote:It should print fine.

Excellent, GMV then ^_^

jcraven42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcraven42
paigeg wrote:How many colors? I think I'm counting more than 6...
You have a way with a zester, though!

It's actually six, I think you're count the outlines as a seventh, but they are actually the same color as the dark bubbles