artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: sea salt

I liked this one too much.

SnowQueenVT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
Re: sea salt

OH so cute!!! Beautifully done too, so likeable., the baby is precious!

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

flamespear

quality posts: 4 Private Messages flamespear
Re: Ssomething Sstrange

So much detail, good work!

albinoapple

quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
bassanimation wrote:Wow. This post is full of many more offensive things than the design..ESPECIALLY if you can see the words that have been filtered, which I can thanks to the quote in the reply field. Talk about blatantly offensive language...

Generally the word 'spastic' is used to describe someone 'hyper' or 'overly sensitive', at least in the US. I've been called a 'spaz' several times in my life, hahah. I've never taken too much offense at it. There are far worse things to be called (which you've done a good job of listing above). In the case of this design, it's just a reference to the effect of too much coffee. As a big coffee fan, and a person prone to drinking too much of the stuff, I can attest that it does make one "spazzy"...

I've seen people work pretty hard to complain about Ramy, but this is a new standard. I'm quite sure he wouldn't knowingly make fun of disabled people.

Woot will probably delete all these posts when they see what you actually typed in your rant. Yikes. Totally uncalled for behavior over a tshirt featuring a squirrel drinking coffe.. 9_9

Please consider that people do not "work hard" to complain about offensive language. There aren't PC police who troll the internet to call unoffensive things offensive.

People complain because they're upset and hurt over the use of a derogatory term. Whether or not ramy meant and offense (I'm sure he didn't) does not make it unoffensive and appropriate.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
jcraven42 wrote:It's actually six, I think you're count the outlines as a seventh, but they are actually the same color as the dark bubbles

No, but still my bad. I was counting the extra shades of blue, then belated realized they were part of the semi-transparent background for the comp, not part of the shirt. Doh!

Sachmoe64

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sachmoe64
Re: Salty Sea Snack (On Black)

Great design Beef! Like everyone's saying, I love the colors and the lighting! Fantastic as always! (The bib is outstanding too)

miraphoraarashi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages miraphoraarashi
Manvyi wrote:Sirens - in Greek mythology, dangerous bird-women luring sailors to their doom. Taking motifs from ancient Greek ceramics, this design either says: "Watch out! I'm a dangerous bird-women!" or perhaps "Please lure me to my doom..." Making any sense? Well, it's all Greek to me.

Four classic ceramic colours on Athenian owl-brown.

As a Classicist, I am saddened by the inevitability of this shirt's loss in the Derby. I would wear it proudly. I love your style.

miraphoraarashi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages miraphoraarashi
miraphoraarashi wrote:As a Classicist, I am saddened by the inevitability of this shirt's loss in the Derby. I would wear it proudly. I love your style.

However, I did just link it from my facebook so that some of my fellow Classicists can vote if they've got Woot accounts. *keeps fingers crossed*

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
nyren wrote:...
I know Woot is a US company, but they've been shipping stuff overseas for years now (list of countries). Ethnocentricity isn't an excuse for something that blatantly offensive.

I'm not a Ramy fan, but this is just silly. The only reason I know it's offensive is because of this thread, I'd wager that 99% of all Americans have no idea that people in land thousands of miles are highly insulted by the term. I'm personally waiting for BBC to issue an apology for This offensive article.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
odysseyroc wrote:I'm not a Ramy fan, but this is just silly. The only reason I know it's offensive is because of this thread, I'd wager that 99% of all Americans have no idea that people in land thousands of miles are highly insulted by the term. I'm personally waiting for BBC to issue an apology for This offensive article.

I know that I, for one, had no idea that "spastic" was offensive to the Brits. But then again, I'm the first to admit that I'm an ignorant grapefruit.

SnowQueenVT

odysseyroc wrote:I'm not a Ramy fan, but this is just silly. The only reason I know it's offensive is because of this thread, I'd wager that 99% of all Americans have no idea that people in land thousands of miles are highly insulted by the term. I'm personally waiting for BBC to issue an apology for This offensive article.

Oh my gosh, I can't help it this is funny, thanks for making me laugh today and I mean no disrespect to anyone, it's just that, well see? We ALL make mistakes!

mikenytola

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
nyren wrote:Ethnocentricity isn't an excuse for something that blatantly offensive.

So... f@g is ok? Woot also printed a shirt with an actual vulgar word in Hungarian, even after it was pointed out to them that it was a more vulgar term than the definition people found on the internet which was only partially correct... they still printed the shirt and did not stop. What's my point? Spaz in the US is used differently than in the UK, just like f@g is used differently. This is a US company with a primarily US market and audience. Deal with it.

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
mikenytola wrote:So... f@g is ok? Woot also printed a shirt with an actual vulgar word in Hungarian, even after it was pointed out to them that it was a more vulgar term than the definition people found on the internet which was only partially correct... they still printed the shirt and did not stop. What's my point? Spaz in the US is used differently than in the UK, just like f@g is used differently. This is a US company with a primarily US market and audience. Deal with it.

Well said! I'm sure Woot has printed plenty of shirts that would be considered offensive to somebody somewhere in the world.

eye4spot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eye4spot
SnowQueenVT wrote:"Stand down red alert!" "All personal report back to your regular duties...the toilet isn't going to flush, I repeat the toilet isn't going to flush!"

...sorry! couldn't resist startrek humor is my very favorite kind...I do like your shirt but mjc613 is right, you have engaged the borg and your shirt will be asimilated.

Too funny SnowQueenVT...we need a startrek derby just to keep you on a roll....or is it, Scotty that is on the roll.... ;-)

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
Johndis5 wrote:Well said! I'm sure Woot has printed plenty of shirts that would be considered offensive to somebody somewhere in the world.

Wait, when you registered with woot, they didn't send you the master list of offensive words around the world?

SnowQueenVT

Re: Roll me up, Scotty!

eye4spot wrote:Too funny SnowQueenVT...we need a startrek derby just to keep you on a roll....or is it, Scotty that is on the roll.... ;-)

I keep telling myself each week that after I submit for the derby I am going to just treat myself to a good ol'startrek marathon, but then I am too darn tired, can't even see and am just about to die!!!

Somebody needs to beam us all up! ... "Beam me up Scotty!'

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
odysseyroc wrote:Wait, when you registered with woot, they didn't send you the master list of offensive words around the world?

They probably did, but it was likely lost among all of the poppycock that ends up in my inbox.

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert

thrawnfett,

This design uses half tones. They are based on a 15 pixel cell size, so at 300 dpi the largest dots are 3.6 points. This is in line with halftones woot has printed in the past.

paigeg,

You are correct - GITD has to be done in halftones. With gradients you are actually mixing two inks on the fly as you print, so it can be very hard to control.

Glad you to hear you like the rework.

If I moved the design to a white shirt and did some rejiggering, the spray can could be spraying a black cloud that would be replace with a glowing reaper when the lights got out.

May be worth playing with in the future. GITD has a lot of potential, and I'm just starting to get my brain wrapped around the design process required to take advantage of it.

SnowQueenVT

Johndis5 wrote:They probably did, but it was likely lost among all of the poppycock that ends up in my inbox.

...and the horsefeathers!

SnowQueenVT

BootsBoots wrote:I know that I, for one, had no idea that "spastic" was offensive to the Brits. But then again, I'm the first to admit that I'm an ignorant grapefruit.

Haha grapefruit!

paigeg

Frankly, I'm weary of all the ramyb-wrangling. I haven't been here long, but long enough to realize that, while some of what is directed at Ramyb and his designs is warranted, an equal amount is a knee-jerk reaction to someone who quickly produces mass-marketable designs (I am carefully NOT using the word 'art'), thereby pushing out what might arguably be a 'better' design.
I figure this has been going on probably since Shirt.Woot was incepted. And it will probably go on long after I have been driven away by the inaneness of it all. At this particular point in time, though, things seem more out of hand than usual.
I won't say I've never commented on a ramyb design, because I have. I won't say I did it purely for constructive purposes, because I didn't. At the time, I saw flaws and thought I was helping set something straight. Since then I've realized that much of the criticism is petty, as are the retaliations.
Now we have people picking apart the cultural mores of not just the designer, but each other. When do all of us realize:
--It's just a t-shirt site, not competition for the Pinchuck Prize.
--Cartoons don't HAVE to be anatomically correct; they are, duh - cartoons!
--There are places in this world for both cute chibi critters and intensely emotional/personal designs.
--When someone is successfully designing for the masses, they don't particularly care what you think, most of the time.
--Said successful person is not doing it just to piss you off.
--There are worse designs than ramyb's submitted to the derbies every week.
--There are designs submitted each week that are heralded as wonderful by many, but there are still people who don't 'get' them and don't like them. And they vote.

I don't want to belittle the Woot community, any of the artists, nor anyone critiquing the designs. But enough is enough, already. I'm here to enjoy the community of talented folks, to learn something about the design process, to solicit comments from more experienced designers, to find cool shirts to wear and, maybe, someday, get lucky enough to have one of my shirts worn by other people. But because I follow the derby thread, I'm constantly interrupted and almost bombarded with ramyb-related rants from both directions. It flares after each of his submissions, dies out a bit, then flares back up repeatedly throughout the derby.
If Seki were more present in recent weeks, I'm sure this would be happening there, too.
Cripes.
Just for the record, I don't care for ramyb's stuff 99.9% of the time. Of course, I also don't care for Edgar's work a similar percentage. They represent the two sides of the extreme - relatively simple and marketable, versus intensely emotional and (dare I say) avant-garde. I 'get' ramyb but wouldn't wear the shirts. I don't 'get' Edgar, and still wouldn't wear the shirts. But, ramyb belongs on a t-shirt; Edgar belongs in a museum (MHO).
Can we get back to the regularly scheduled program now? I enjoy it immensely, and the 'breaking news' frankly, isn't either one - 'breaking' or 'news'. If you don't like Ramyb's shirt don't vote for it/buy it. But it is what it is, and what it is, is attractive to the voting demographic of kids and parents with kids*, and anyone else who likes cute shirts and isn't terribly interested in the 'artistic' merit, or how long the artist invested into the concept or execution.
*Yes, I’m aware that this is not shirt.woot’s prime demographic, but… SOMEBODY’s buying the damned things.
>pant-pant< Whew!
/rant
PS – Sorry to bore you all with this; most folks couldn’t care less and successfully ignore the weekly flame-wars. I just let things piss me off this week, apparently. Ignore me, move along. Nothing to see here…

kaseyfleming

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kaseyfleming
The Tim wrote:It's like grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, but for robots!

Just want to say again that it is downright criminal how poorly this is showing in the votes.

I just don't understand how this isn't crushing the competition

queboy89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages queboy89

By virtue of history, the word used in that BBC article is in the correct usage. It's old meaning was either:

A. a pile or bundle of sticks,

or

B. a type of British meatball.

You have to remember that terms in the US are nearly all derived from British English. Therefore, people can get offended in the US, but the blame is on ourselves for using the word in such context. I personally detract from using such words, but I'm not the majority. The earliest use of the word as it means in the US was in 1914, by two American authors in a book about prison slang.

BBC does not have to apologize. Maybe we should apologize for linking a delicious dish to a specific population of people...

paigeg

odysseyroc wrote: I'm personally waiting for BBC to issue an apology for This offensive article.

LMAO! I particularly like " Mr Brain's Faggots." How wonderfully strange.

SnowQueenVT

uote]Re: Soaring at Sunset
[/quote]

(RE I like the Eagles shirt and what is deals woot rep)

thrawnfett wrote:Thanks, glad you like it.

I believe that deals woot rep is from the deals.woot.com site. You can submit good deals that you find to the site and get "rep" if others think it's a good deal. I'm pretty sure that's what that is.

Oh thankyou for answering that for me Thrawnfett, that blank box next to so many peoples name is so annoying! (it is annoying not to know what it IS!)

Nice strong imagery on your eagle shirt! I love eagles!

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
SnowQueenVT wrote:Haha grapefruit!

Yes! "Grapefruit" is almost as appropriate as what I actually typed. ;)

paigeg

Lagbert wrote:

If I moved the design to a white shirt and did some rejiggering, the spray can could be spraying a black cloud that would be replace with a glowing reaper when the lights got out.

Sounds like a cool idea. I hope you get a chance to try it.

SnowQueenVT

This comment is for Paige...

It's ok, it's ok, just calm down.take a nice big breath, now here is a cup of water...no no ..sip it! You need to go relax and listen to some nice Def Leppard, now there ,there! I'll go put on pyromania and everything will be all right....(sound of footsteps retreating...)

Nicely said by the way!

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
Re: S is for Storybook

• Congratulations on winning a Best Loser Award!
  • This is not SPAM.
  • Winning a BLA does NOT mean this shirt won't print -- I'm hoping it does.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.
  • Take a bite of my heart tonight.

thatrobert

Re: Six Super Soakers

• This is not SPAM.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.

thatrobert

Re: Steampunk Seahorse

• This is not SPAM.

thatrobert

Re: Sunsplash

• This is not SPAM.

thatrobert

Re: My snailmail arrived!

• This is not SPAM.

thatrobert

Re: Skateboarding Strigiformes

• This is not SPAM.

thatrobert

Re: Strongman

• This is not SPAM.

albinoapple

quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
Johndis5 wrote:Well said! I'm sure Woot has printed plenty of shirts that would be considered offensive to somebody somewhere in the world.

The problem is it's also an offensive term in the US. Though not widely known as such like other derogatory terms, it doesn't make it any less inappropriate. I don't think the majority of us privileged enough to not have spasticity have the right to determine the word's offensiveness.

http://disabledfeminists.com/2009/12/04/ableist-word-profile-spazspak/

http://bitchmagazine.org/post/the-transcontinental-disability-choir-what-is-ableist-language-and-why-should-you-care

paigeg

SnowQueenVT wrote:This comment is for Paige...

It's ok, it's ok, just calm down...
Nicely said by the way!

*sips and relaxes* Whew!
'Gunter glieben glauchen globen'
Ahh, I feel better now - thanks. SnowQueenVT!

linkcasey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages linkcasey

Agreed. Not off topic.

linkcasey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages linkcasey
Re: Shirts (redux)

Agreed. Not off topic.

SnowQueenVT

paigeg wrote:*sips and relaxes* Whew!
'Gunter glieben glauchen globen'
Ahh, I feel better now - thanks. SnowQueenVT!

OK I seriously just laughed OUT LOUD!