sacrerouge

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sacrerouge
Re: sea salt

I wish this one had been submitted earlier. LOVE IT

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Sleepy Sushi
SnowQueenVT wrote:Jasneko, I've been saving my sushi vote for a good time, it looks like now is a good time, my vote joins your hotness votes!

Still gearing up to show you or post our Jasneko lantern pictures...the photos are taken but still need to dump them into the computer, (then decide if I am ready to meet the world in these photos! it was late, no makeup type of deal...but will definately send to YOU!!!

Keep it up hottie!

haha well very good, thanks for adding to the heat yesterday!

Oh good, I thought you forgot about the lantern pictures... no worries about no makeup, and if you're nervous about the world, just PM me. Thanks Snowqueen!

februarystar27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages februarystar27
cmdixon2 wrote:Well, he DID poke holes in the lid.

That reminded me of the Nirvana song Sappy:

"He'll keep you in a jar, then you'll think you're happy
He'll give you breathing holes, then you'll think you're happy"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljBt16BzW8M

That random association makes me like the shirt even more.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Soapin' Skunk
Quasiskunk wrote:Well, here's another vote from a Skunkie lover Guess I -had- to vote for this one, yanno? ^.^

Heh I can see why;) Thanks Quasiskunk!

elleronn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elleronn

The word of today is "relevance". k thx. That's "OK" and "thanks" for the grammar police.

And what's the big deal about the title? This is the US and a US based site, not the UK. Besides, don't you call a cigarette a f@g? What's more offensive... hmm. It's called cultural differences. Stick to the design flaws, not stupid things like the title.[/quote]

A tip of the hat to you. Well stated.

The Tim

quality posts: 31 Private Messages The Tim
kaseyfleming wrote:I just don't understand how this isn't crushing the competition

It makes me want to start my own dang shirt site. I'd call it something like "awesome designs only" and the subtitle could be "no generic forgettable tripe allowed."

fixbane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fixbane
Re: Spastic Squirrel

eh i'm cool with ramyb's shirts, but this discussion in terms of ramyb's stuff (from the rejected design's board) kind of pisses me off. When people complain about them all looking anime-style-y characters, the shirts win. when ramyb does some different, more artsy looking stuff (that i would like to buy), they don't win. and no one mentions them when arguing like this. but whatever.

PittViking

quality posts: 2 Private Messages PittViking
Re: SAMURAI SHOWDOWN

Sweet Samurai Shirt :D

nyren

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nyren
albinoapple wrote:The problem is it's also an offensive term in the US. Though not widely known as such like other derogatory terms, it doesn't make it any less inappropriate. I don't think the majority of us privileged enough to not have spasticity have the right to determine the word's offensiveness.

http://disabledfeminists.com/2009/12/04/ableist-word-profile-spazspak/

http://bitchmagazine.org/post/the-transcontinental-disability-choir-what-is-ableist-language-and-why-should-you-care

This.

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
The Tim wrote:It makes me want to start my own dang shirt site. I'd call it something like "awesome designs only" and the subtitle could be "no generic forgettable tripe allowed."

When you do so, please let the rest of us know, so we can come shop there instead?

dmaz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages dmaz
Re: Spastic Squirrel

Wow I hope this prints!!! Will definitely buy one for me and my sister. We're coffee fiends!

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: S is for Storybook

Thanks to thatrobert, I now know that this shirt exists! And I agree with him, this is worthy of an award.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
queboy89 wrote:By virtue of history, the word used in that BBC article is in the correct usage. It's old meaning was either:

A. a pile or bundle of sticks,

or

B. a type of British meatball.

You have to remember that terms in the US are nearly all derived from British English. Therefore, people can get offended in the US, but the blame is on ourselves for using the word in such context. I personally detract from using such words, but I'm not the majority. The earliest use of the word as it means in the US was in 1914, by two American authors in a book about prison slang.

BBC does not have to apologize. Maybe we should apologize for linking a delicious dish to a specific population of people...

spas·tic

–adjective
1.pertaining to, of the nature of, or characterized by spasm, esp. tonic spasm.

–noun
2.a person exhibiting such spasms.

I think the same could be said of most offensive words. Most of them just start out as regular everyday words till somebody adopts it as their own hateful word. The same thing happens with symbols. Spastic was just sitting there for years before somebody decided to use it in an offensive way. It's unfortunate that Ramy used a term that is offensive to the UK members here, but I don't see why we can't just chalk it up as a cultural difference and move on. If it prints woot can simply change the name to "squirrel drinking coffee" and it wouldn't matter.

If this design was by anybody else the title would have been a footnote. "Btw, did you know that word is offensive in the UK". Since this is a Ramy design, everybody is feigning disgust or whatever. The discussions on Ramy's designs are always a trainwreck, there are some good constructive crits, people reaching to bash, people rushing to his defense and some fawning all over him.

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
albinoapple wrote:The problem is it's also an offensive term in the US. Though not widely known as such like other derogatory terms, it doesn't make it any less inappropriate. I don't think the majority of us privileged enough to not have spasticity have the right to determine the word's offensiveness.

http://disabledfeminists.com/2009/12/04/ableist-word-profile-spazspak/

http://bitchmagazine.org/post/the-transcontinental-disability-choir-what-is-ableist-language-and-why-should-you-care

I agree, sort of. When you are running a site like this though, you have to draw the line using your own judgment and experience. You always run the risk of offending a potential customer or passer by.

I don't think any harm was meant by Ramy by the title of this shirt. I don't think it should be rejected on the merits of it's title. If it prints, they might change title, or not. This should not be causing this much upset.

bennydougs

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bennydougs
Re: Deep Blue Space

impressive stuff!

bennydougs

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bennydougs
Re: Seafood Sushi

very funny!

slhampel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slhampel

These sleepy little buggers are making me even more tired. But they sure are cute. My only critique is I think it is a tad too large. GMV nonetheless.

mikehsk

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mikehsk
Re: Silent Seahorse

Love the design. Hate the colors.

SnowQueenVT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT

(RE snowqueenvt voted for sushi(OF COURSE!) and promises to send photos of her wearing Jasneko\Bassaniamtion zodiac lantern shirt

jasneko wrote:haha well very good, thanks for adding to the heat yesterday!

Oh good, I thought you forgot about the lantern pictures... no worries about no makeup, and if you're nervous about the world, just PM me. Thanks Snowqueen!

Jasneko, I would NEVER forget my promise to you! Unfortunately I never learned how to dump my 10 million photos into the computer and therefore I am at the mercy of my better half who is out of town and returns late, however, he loves you too and I have been bugging him about it ,so hopefully tonites the night!!(also, my little girls are in the pictures and we are afraid to post pictures of the girls to the world too many weirdos, don't want to ASK for trouble.)

These little sushis are so cute, I sure could use asushi, skunk and spatula Jasneko shirt to go with my beautiful lantern shirts!

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

kimvy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kimvy
odysseyroc wrote:I'm not a Ramy fan, but this is just silly. The only reason I know it's offensive is because of this thread, I'd wager that 99% of all Americans have no idea that people in land thousands of miles are highly insulted by the term. I'm personally waiting for BBC to issue an apology for This offensive article.

Oh, that article could be the launch off for a number of bad jokes.

Isn't that also what the Brits call cigarettes, too?

I'm in Canada and "spaz" or "spastic" isn't a bad word. It's not a particularly nice one, but not like in the UK and we're a colony.

Jessminda1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jessminda1
Re: SALSA!

does that say 1 glove of garlic?

queboy89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages queboy89
odysseyroc wrote:spas·tic...

I was talking about the BBC article. You really didn't know that's what I was talking about? I don't mean anything, sorry if it was confusing.

And yes, I understand the point behind the term "spastic". Which is why I can refer to my comment earlier. I was saying that American English derives many words from old english. The same goes true that we can also downplay words that was quite rude.

In no way was I trying to justify Ramyb's title.

As for his art, I'm not exactly a fan. I won't say that he's breaking any rules, but his art just isn't appealing to me. Not to mention I'm quite suspicious of his and seki's "ethics" when it comes to things I've heard, researched, and dug up about them.

Somehow, I'm not the only one either. Check out the recent reckoning recon.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: Sweet Saturn Swish, Sucka

Two thumbs up! Great job.

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx
BootsBoots wrote:I know that I, for one, had no idea that "spastic" was offensive to the Brits. But then again, I'm the first to admit that I'm an ignorant grapefruit.

Them changing that to grapefruit is awesome. I am greatly amused by this.

odysseyroc

queboy89 wrote:I was talking about the BBC article. You really didn't know that's what I was talking about? I don't mean anything, sorry if it was confusing.

And yes, I understand the point behind the term "spastic". Which is why I can refer to my comment earlier. I was saying that American English derives many words from old english. The same goes true that we can also downplay words that was quite rude.

In no way was I trying to justify Ramyb's title.

No, I understand that's what you were talking about. My point was just that spastic as an adjective isn't really offensive to an American, same thing with those meatballs. Some things are going to be taboo in one culture and acceptable in others, whether they share a language or not. Like somebody said higher up in the thread, we're separated by a common language.

As for his art, I'm not exactly a fan. I won't say that he's breaking any rules, but his art just isn't appealing to me. Not to mention I'm quite suspicious of his and seki's "ethics" when it comes to things I've heard, researched, and dug up about them.

Somehow, I'm not the only one either. Check out the recent reckoning recon.

That's fine as far as I'm concerned. I'd respect people more if they just came out and said exactly what you just said, instead of trying to find reasons why each and every one of his entries should be rejected, whether warranted or not. I'm not defending his art, accusations of lifting concepts, or any questionable antics on other sites, conventions, etc. I'm just saying, if people dislike his art then say it directly (which some people do), instead of saying something like "Oh, he drew a dog sipping soup, that's the same as this shirt with a bird eating a steak".

I'm fine with most of Adder's comments on this site (even if I don't agree with a lot of it), because he doesn't beat around the bush and I always get the impression that he believes every word of what he's saying.

odysseyroc

Jessminda1 wrote:does that say 1 glove of garlic?

You're not familiar with that term? Most salsa recipes require at least 1(size large) glove full of garlic, if it's a Oaxacan recipe it may require 1 (size small) mitten of garlic and a sock full of cascabel chiles.

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert

Ouch!

Talk about inconsistency! Woot HMs a glow in the dark design during the Luck derby; they don't reject version one of this design; and then they reject version 2 when it's too late to resubmit.

Maybe I'll retool this design come Halloween time.

Thanks everyone who voted!

Junka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Junka
odysseyroc wrote:
If this design was by anybody else the title would have been a footnote. "Btw, did you know that word is offensive in the UK". Since this is a Ramy design, everybody is feigning disgust or whatever. The discussions on Ramy's designs are always a trainwreck, there are some good constructive crits, people reaching to bash, people rushing to his defense and some fawning all over him.

Truth. It seems that people pick and choose when to be offended (and it sure seems like it often comes down to who the designer is).

A)The number one selling shirt currently in the reckoning equates Africa to being a disease. Sure it's meant to be ironic but basically it has the potential to be offensive to an entire continent. It's a racist joke, even if unintended. Woot should have stepped in on that, rather than start to sell racist t-shirts. Unintended or not, everyone who sees it doesn't know the intention or the backstory. And now it's the number 1 selling shirt -- scary!

B)Another ironic type shirt on the reckoning is making a joke about nuclear bombs. Nuclear bombs are not a joke to anyone who has had it as a real threat, or to a country that still has people suffering from the after affects of such a terrible weapon. And it's expressing apathy about such a weapon. It is meant to be ironic and funny, but really being apathetic of destruction and death unless directly affecting us is indicative of the general heartlessness of people. And it has been on the chart for 19 weeks! Again, very scary.

These shirts printed relatively drama-free. Had the message of either of these shirts been by this artist or another controversial artist, it seems unlikely there would not have been a huge fuss -- as there should have been no matter who the artist with those messages, imvho.

C)Last but not least in the what-and-when-people-find-things-offensive category -- last week was an entire derby based around "madness". This allowed people to design shirts around real, misunderstood illnesses in a joking, and often ignorant way.
Extremely poor taste and offensive to anyone with a mental illness or touched by one.

Really, that derby was the equivalent of having a "cancer" derby or a "handicapped" derby or a "mental retardation derby" if you think about it. But those specific issues seem to have more attention, consideration and sensitivity now and people are more aware of them than they are of mental illness.

In conclusion-- this post isn't protecting or defending anyone, just pointing out people are selective when deciding when something is offensive or not -- or at least when they are being vocal about it.

Junka

Junka

Re: Sea Creature

Solid! That is one scary fish.

angeliny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages angeliny
Re: Sunsplash

Aw I wanted this shirt so badly for spring! Sad day =(

Perhaps people will realize how awesome it is and vote it up quickly!

praxis16

quality posts: 1 Private Messages praxis16

I'm not really sure why the use of the word "spastic" is causing any problems in this shirt's context. I mean, does it look like one of the squirrels has cerebral palsy or any related disability?

If not, then there is really no reason to be offended.

KillerRamen

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KillerRamen
Re: Santa's Secret (abominable secret)

I always felt that there was something sinister about Santa Claus... Now I know the truth!

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert

Hmmm... been thinking. This design has halftone glow in the dark elements. The other unrejected glow in the dark designs are all halftone free - at least in the glow in the dark color.

It would seem the woot's guidelines for bending the "No GITD" rules are:

1. Design must be low color count 3 to 4 max to defer the cost of the glow in the dark ink.

2. Glow in the dark elements must not use halftones

The Tim

Re: SURF'S UP SURFIN' SAFARI BABE Resub no black

FYI, clipart usage is cause for rejection, if the rejectionator feels like it.

http://www.stickfamily.us/Hawaiian/8.htm

The Tim

Re: Surf's up surfin' Safari Babe

FYI, clipart usage is cause for rejection, if the rejectionator feels like it.

http://www.stickfamily.us/Hawaiian/8.htm

KickerJCramboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KickerJCramboy
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=41096]Sweet

I suppose I'll submit something with a happier tone next time around maybe I'll save it for Halloween ....

Absconder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Absconder

This shirt had better win. I want it!

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 39 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

Yes! Back in the fog. Come on, everyone. Vote, vote, vote!!

stitchgeek

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stitchgeek
Re: Steampunk Seahorse

I'm very diappointed. I really wanted this one.