ashtomorgo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ashtomorgo

all nerds can now be united by this one shirt. That being said, im def in for one! ;p

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
CapSea wrote:What happened 16 months ago that made you go blind?

I haven't even been here for a full year, I tend to be rather critical of what prints here (this design, for example), and yet I still have almost 30 purchases in that time.

MasterHicarbdicke

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MasterHicarbdicke

This is one of those times when I suddenly realize that I'm just too old to "get" something. No disrespect to the artist at all, but I just don't see how this could get 1st place. There must just be a lot of young kids out there that love LOTR the way that I loved the original Star Wars films. I would totally buy a Star Wars shirt that made no sense and wasn't particularly clever, just because it was Star Wars. I feel like that's what's happening here. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

thrawnfett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thrawnfett

One does not simply woot into Mordor!

a5m0deu5

quality posts: 4 Private Messages a5m0deu5
MasterHicarbdicke wrote:This is one of those times when I suddenly realize that I'm just too old to "get" something. No disrespect to the artist at all, but I just don't see how this could get 1st place. There must just be a lot of young kids out there that love LOTR the way that I loved the original Star Wars films. I would totally buy a Star Wars shirt that made no sense and wasn't particularly clever, just because it was Star Wars. I feel like that's what's happening here. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

yes you are wrong, the LOTR books were published in the 50s predating Star Wars by about 2 decades, my father is almost 60 and he read them as a child, so if anything, I'd say that you're too young rather than old.

tricklosan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tricklosan

+1 : )
Can't wait to wear it proudly.

Element13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Element13

I don't get it. Is this shirt a "Lord of the Rings" reference? If so, pardon my ignorance, but I haven't seen the movie.

Saybaar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Saybaar
themelonbread wrote:This is the first time I've ever had a problem with Woot's copywriting. But seriously, when would Sauron ever come in contact with an Uruk-hai? His own orc forces couldn't even manage to take Merry and Pippin from Saruman's. What would an Uruk-hai be doing so far southeast?

Actually, Sauron created Uruk-hai independently a few years before Saruman did; Saruman took the idea, "improved" on it, and used his own brand of Uruk-hai to build his primary army, while Sauron didn't use them as much because he already had unholy numbers of normal Orcs to use. So there were both Orcs and Uruk-hai in both Mordor and Isengard, and while it's true that Sauron would never have come into contact with one of the Isengard Uruk-hai, he would have had his own breed wandering around Mordor and apparently trading juicy gossip. Of course, the movies don't have time to address little ridiculously fiddly bits of canon like that because Aragorn and Co. are more concerned with killing Orcs than analyzing their genetic makeup and heritage.

keeneal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keeneal
Element13 wrote:I don't get it. Is this shirt a "Lord of the Rings" reference? If so, pardon my ignorance, but I haven't seen the movie.

Then read the books

(The Big Bad is portrayed as an all-seeing eye of flame. The majority of his power is concentrated in the One Ring. The plot revolves around an Unlikely Hero attempting to destroy the Ring. It's funny because said Big Bad is anything but cute.)

StargateGamingGeek

quality posts: 14 Private Messages StargateGamingGeek

Won't be the one ring for long.

justaperson219

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justaperson219

i just get done watching the trilogy right now.. get on woot.. and this is what i see!!

LalaBear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LalaBear

LOVE IT! <3

Roomie: I was gna buy today's Woot, but I was too late.
Me: Me too! Just think if we both had gotten that phone. **Alternate conversation** Roomie: I bought today's Woot!
Me: Me too!
Both: AHH

niko88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages niko88
arilvdc wrote:don't get me wrong- I love this shirt. However, I feel like if these two were to procreate we'd end up with an flaming orange version of this...

minus the clothing, of course.

Your momma is SOOO fat....when she goes outside in her red dress all the kids yell..."HEY Kool Aid!!!"

danielvutran

quality posts: 16 Private Messages danielvutran

I would shake the hand of whoever wears this shirt.

yes it's me lol

dselig

quality posts: 12 Private Messages dselig

my only question is what starts with s?
soulmates, sauron or sring of spower?

i have no clue what to write here anymore....

RvLeshrac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RvLeshrac
repoman86 wrote:You should probably watch the films again. The writing is on BOTH the inside and the outside, but the outside is where it's legi-holy hernia I'm a nerd.

'cept the ring is solid, featureless gold until tossed into fire. The Lidless Eye isn't really on fire, etc. etc. etc.

But this could go on FOREVER, and that's a nice shirt.

SmartBugger

quality posts: 2 Private Messages SmartBugger

So glad this shirt got printed!

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

is this a Johnny Cash shirt? I get the "Ring of Fire" reference, but all I can come up with for the other thing is "EYE Walk the Line"

?

neoenigma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages neoenigma
Jestik wrote:is this a Johnny Cash shirt? I get the "Ring of Fire" reference, but all I can come up with for the other thing is "EYE Walk the Line"

?

LOL

...... *dies*

You're joking right? .... right?

tabrazinski

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tabrazinski
jmmbell1987 wrote:I haven't even been here for a full year, I tend to be rather critical of what prints here (this design, for example), and yet I still have almost 30 purchases in that time.

i've been here for well over 2 years and haven't bought a shirt in 8 months. this one is mildly amusing- got the reference right away, but i think it's completely unwearable.

geeforce

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geeforce
dpbowl842 wrote:It's not too cutesy for this 26 yr old man!! :D

Agreed, says another 26yr old... First woot btw.

Thanks for the nice design!

Hashbuddz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hashbuddz
mgodlewski wrote:i haven't seen a good shirt in almost 16 months!!!

You must have gone blind. I own seven EXCELLENT shirts alone in the last five months. Check out the Reckoning once in a while, they tend to have most of the decent shirts from time to time.

angelamy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages angelamy

I'm a girl so I can getvaway with wearing this shirt and I'm not nerdy enough to care about the writing on the outside of the ring, score for me!

Hashbuddz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hashbuddz
Rudeboy2025 wrote:Damn the Fellowship for destroying this beautiful relationship!

Lord of the Rings is merely a fable version of WWII. It's the Axis vs. Allies. So many hidden undertones to attest to it.

The Orcs? Japanese. Giant elephants? Tiger Tanks. Et cetera

arroth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arroth

score, im a nerd, but not so much of a nerd to notice the writing being on the correct side or not. :P *purchased*

sarahjeany

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sarahjeany
MaureenJ8 wrote:We call this color: There And Black Again

Genius.

laughed out loud when i read it!

lcooksey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lcooksey
Saybaar wrote:Of course, the movies don't have time to address little ridiculously fiddly bits of canon like that because Aragorn and Co. are more concerned with killing Orcs than analyzing their genetic makeup and heritage.

Indeed. Aragorn was much more concerned over whether or not he'd ever get to be King.

http://www.ealasaid.com/misc/vsd/aragorn.html

lafoften

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lafoften

I don't get it.

ppw

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
neoenigma wrote:LOL

...... *dies*

You're joking right? .... right?

yeah, I'm joking

MadamAtom

quality posts: 7 Private Messages MadamAtom
dpbowl842 wrote:It's not too cutesy for this 26 yr old man!! :D

It's too ... something ... for this 40-year-old woman, though--and I'm a LOTR fanatic. Not sure if it's the cute or something else, but ... meh.

The writeup is sheer genius, and thanks to Woot for that. But I'm not gonna buy a shirt based solely on something that isn't part of the shirt.

And to join the object-o-nerds: Wasn't the Eye just a manifestation of Sauron's will, anyway? I'm pretty sure he'd been re-bodied (again) but was just even uglier this time. Part of what's bugging me is to see the Eye treated as a separate creature.

kevin.swanson@gmail.com

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevin.swanson@gmail.com
MasterHicarbdicke wrote:There must just be a lot of young kids out there that love LOTR the way that I loved the original Star Wars films.

Maybe you're sandwiched in-between. I grew up on the books, because my dad got me interested. There have been Tolkien fans for a couple of generations now.

kevin.swanson@gmail.com

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevin.swanson@gmail.com
MadamAtom wrote:It's too ... something ... for this 40-year-old woman, though--and I'm a LOTR fanatic. Not sure if it's the cute or something else, but ... meh.

Cute? Perhaps. I think it's ... well ... precious.

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
Jestik wrote:is this a Johnny Cash shirt? I get the "Ring of Fire" reference, but all I can come up with for the other thing is "EYE Walk the Line"

?

A few years ago went on vacation, and every night in the dining room, when they wanted people to leave they would turn on the lights, and play Johnny Cash music. My husband would just sing along.

nitefallz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nitefallz
MasterHicarbdicke wrote:This is one of those times when I suddenly realize that I'm just too old to "get" something. No disrespect to the artist at all, but I just don't see how this could get 1st place. There must just be a lot of young kids out there that love LOTR the way that I loved the original Star Wars films. I would totally buy a Star Wars shirt that made no sense and wasn't particularly clever, just because it was Star Wars. I feel like that's what's happening here. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Seriously?

danberms

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danberms

Love the design, not sure if I could get it.

Had a movie poster of the eye at work and had to take it down since it offended some of the women coworkers. They though it was representing something that's not safe for work...

nitefallz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nitefallz
MadamAtom wrote:It's too ... something ... for this 40-year-old woman, though--and I'm a LOTR fanatic. Not sure if it's the cute or something else, but ... meh.

The writeup is sheer genius, and thanks to Woot for that. But I'm not gonna buy a shirt based solely on something that isn't part of the shirt.

And to join the object-o-nerds: Wasn't the Eye just a manifestation of Sauron's will, anyway? I'm pretty sure he'd been re-bodied (again) but was just even uglier this time. Part of what's bugging me is to see the Eye treated as a separate creature.

Technically, it's like he's holding his own hand.

potsic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages potsic
repoman86 wrote:You should probably watch the films again. The writing is on BOTH the inside and the outside, but the outside is where it's legi-holy hernia I'm a nerd.

Book 1, Chapter 2: The Shadow of the Past

"... he now saw fine lines, finer than the finest pen strokes, running along the ring, outside and inside: lines of fire that seemed to form the letters of a flowing script."

Read the book. There's legible writing on both sides. Who has two thumbs and is an uber-nerd? <= This guy!

crow68

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crow68

OK... I understood it as soon as I saw it, which makes me realize I am the 40+ year old nerd that my wife tells me I am. But to buy the shirt and wear it would be to scream it to the rest of the world. Great shirt, but oddly I still have too much self respect to buy and wear it....

DoublEE

quality posts: 8 Private Messages DoublEE

I see were back to nerd-tees and the resident nerds are all fired up about the "authenticity" of the design.

SilverRose99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SilverRose99

Ahh, so cute. In for one!!