ccazabon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ccazabon
unsound000 wrote:I like...
Love your style of art. Great clean lines. No wasted strokes.

I'd change...
I think I'd reframe this shirt so that it stretches more horizontally and less vertically. Maybe surround it with some Greek scrolling to add a bit more to it. There's a lot of empty space below. Add some Greek ships? Just needs a little more. Not sure what.

Great looking shirt though.

thanks, I did want to add some greek ships (especially achilles' mrym's black sails one) b/c I know it feels a bit empty right now. I had the idea yesterday at work and didnt even get to start it till about 11pm EDT and I know submission time means a lot for getting votes in, so I figured for time's sake to leave it. I think once I get a bit more practice using a tablet and digitalizing my sketches I'll be able to get the main idea done quicker so that I can add those subtle details.

gre9del

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gre9del

I actually really like it, although I do agree with odysseyroc's basic suggestions, I think a lot of this could be solved by just changing the "shadow" value of the potatoes to a different, darker color. I don't think there's anything wrong with having a differential in the feel of the solidity of the objects vs. the mash potatoes, which are made of a soft, nebulous material. Sweet piece and fantastic concept!

gre9del

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gre9del
paigeg wrote:This is just beautiful. I think it makes a better poster or print than a shirt, but it's gorgeous.

I agree, doesn't stop me from loving the design, but seems like it would lose a lot in translation to fabric, halftones or no. I would buy a giclee print of this.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
gre9del wrote:I actually really like it, although I do agree with odysseyroc's basic suggestions, I think a lot of this could be solved by just changing the "shadow" value of the potatoes to a different, darker color. I don't think there's anything wrong with having a differential in the feel of the solidity of the objects vs. the mash potatoes, which are made of a soft, nebulous material. Sweet piece and fantastic concept!

I agree that you can just do that. My problem with it, is the coloring on those potatoes is the strongest element in the piece. It's better to spend the time to make everything else look that good, than to weaken the strongest element of the design.

The other reason I think it would help, is that peas and gravy are somewhat specular, so they would benefit from some highlights.

Ikonos71

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ikonos71
Re: THE CALL OF CTHULHU / MOBY DICK

This is why I still come to shirt.woot.

SubBass49

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SubBass49
Re: Treas.Isl./Finn/Hyde - Mashed Potato Mash-Up

Thanks for the advice guys...I'll try to spend some time on it and re-sub ASAP. IT was hard for me to figure out how to illustrate the potatoes, but I see what you're saying about the other stuff...

Hope to make a better version quickly!

buriedwreckage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages buriedwreckage

Spectacular work guys. If this isn't a winner I don't know what is!

arpayton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arpayton
Re: Alice In Wonderland/Huckleberry Finn

Ceiling cat is watching you runaway on a raft?

wootvan

quality posts: 63 Private Messages wootvan

Clever and well-executed.

grayehound

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grayehound

Just adding in to the chorus of adoration you two are justifiably receiving. This is just a great design, the subject has geek cool cred, it's on a tee color that'd look good on anyone, and the combination of amazing attention to detail and truly fantastic color with all that warm/cool contrast, this is a slam dunk first place. It's good you guys took the extra time and got this done well.

That said, how are the clouds in the background or any of the airbrushing going to be printed? If there is a screen on them, it's a pretty tight one. If a screen has to be added, how is that going to affect the image? I doubt it'd reduce the awesomeness of the art, but if halftoning it looks like hernia, it'd make it hard for me to buy one.

jeffreywitchdoctor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeffreywitchdoctor
goatcane wrote:Exactly... which directly explains my sadly rejected submission...

"... to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee."

Ahab is Job's wife.

Awesome... and the whole thing is as historically accurate as anything else in the bible. so why not?

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx
Re: POE / WONDERLAND

Looking great again this week. I checked out the detail shot and there is a lot to be amused by with this. The Jabberwocky is definitely my favorite.

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost

Epic guys, this is your best collab to date. Great job!

BootsBoots

quality posts: 38 Private Messages BootsBoots
geekfactor12 wrote:I just want to publicly be the lone dissenter who likes the first one better. This is cute and all, but I like weird

I liked the weird one too. This version's really well done, but it's too cute for me. Good job though, Diana!

SubBass49

OK folks...new version is up...

I took your advice Oddyssey, and added highlights on the gravy & peas...completely eliminated the black layer and let the asphalt shirt act as my low-lights...

Hope ya'll like it!

-- J

SubBass49

OOps...

Here's a link:
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=41379

SubBass49

Re: Treas.Isl/Finn/Mr. Hyde Mashed Potato Mashup v.2

Took mash-up literally and made a mashed-potato sculpture incorporating Treasure Island (skull w/ eye patch), Huck Finn (boy with hat and stick - toothpick - lounging), and Mr. Hyde (psychotic looking man in a hat with peas for eyes).

Inspired by the literal idea of a "mash-up" and my young nieces & nephew that are visiting and spend more time playing with their food than eating it!

Hope you all like it!

This is version 2.0 - with suggestions by OdysseyRoc and gre9del taken into account.

SubBass49

Re: Pinocchio / The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

This concept is awesome...twisted and funny...just not sure about the balance of the design. Any reworks that can be done to keep the cool look and feel, but make it a more wearable and balanced design?

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2

Here's my mashup this week! "The Strange Musician" by The Brothers Grimm and Jules Verne's "Five Weeks in a Balloon".

I had a little setback with my first idea being taken already so I scrambled to get this together. A bit late, but I hope you like it!

Enlargement:

bardofawen

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bardofawen

goatcane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages goatcane
jeffreywitchdoctor wrote:Awesome... and the whole thing is as historically accurate as anything else in the bible. so why not?

Probably more so... The Cetology chapter is all fact based...

pastorroy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pastorroy

cmdixon2

Re: Scheherazade's Other Tales

Wow, this is incredibly detailed. I can't imagine how long it would've taken me to draw this many characters. Great work! GMV!

skirochester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester
tjost wrote:Epic guys, this is your best collab to date. Great job!

agree. winner for sure. love the coloring especially. congrats ahead of time

cmdixon2

Re: Moby D/Twenty Thousand Leagues

Love it. The colors are awesome and the whole thing turned out so well.

cmdixon2

Blown away. Colors are just spectacular. I can't say enough about how well you guys work together.

stardamsel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages stardamsel
Re: Scheherazade's Other Tales

Wow, thanks so much for the votes and comments, everyone! Detailed pics now available! :-)

Close-up 1

Close-up 2

Close-up 3

Close-up 4

Close-up 5

demengraphics

quality posts: 0 Private Messages demengraphics
Drakxxx wrote:Looking great again this week. I checked out the detail shot and there is a lot to be amused by with this. The Jabberwocky is definitely my favorite.

He was definitely my favorite to draw! Thanks for checking out the detail shot, I tried to put a lot of interesting little things in there.

And thank you so much for the comments and votes so far, everyone! They are much appreciated.

demengraphics

Re: The Jungle Book / Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Ha! This is so adorable! I love the bright colors, and the expressions are totally priceless.

demengraphics

This is hilarious! lol

demengraphics

Re: Green Eggs and Hamlet

Marvelous concept. I would be very sad if they decide to reject it.

strawberryicee

quality posts: 12 Private Messages strawberryicee
Re: Resub - MobyDick/The Owl and the Pussycat

hahaha xD i love the cat's expression

SubBass49

demengraphics wrote:Marvelous concept. I would be very sad if they decide to reject it.

True, but it still will be rejected (or should be). Dr. Seuss books and characters are very much NOT public domain.

SubBass49

INCREDIBLE! The color is KNOCKOUT! Execution and concept brilliant.

You guys are top-notch.

supersonic213

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supersonic213
Re: Huck Finn / The Wizard of OZ

The black and white Tom and Huck are striking against the blue and green on the rest of the shirt! This is fantastic.

The guys at the new SONIC drive-in told me to have a supersonic day. And I did!

AcorNayho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AcorNayho

Aha! Very excellently well done. A double positive is probably grammatically as erroneous as putting two adverbs together... but putting these two together is a mash up of monsto-us proportions. Well played!

AcorNayho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AcorNayho

you'll have to excuse the dirt on my chin... My jaw just hit the floor. truly stunning... a beacon in the fog for sure!

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988

lucky1988

Re: We're not in Kansas anymore...

Thanks everyone!

lucky1988

Epic design, superb colors too!