+ Add a Comment

loveengrey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages loveengrey
queboy89 wrote:Hehe... just wondering. What's with the red? Almost feels unnecessary, yet I welcome it as a distinct focal point of the shirt. Though I don't think many people will notice it.

I kinda like the red. Lets me know that its Dorothy and not some random chick holding a dog haha. And btw I love designs like this that cover up the whole shirt with a lot of focal points. Damn good job as usual lucky.

SpastasticNomadic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SpastasticNomadic
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=41324]A Tale of 2 Cities of War

Oh, yes.

loveengrey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages loveengrey

You might also want to work on the border. I've never really liked shirts that have a defined border to it so maybe if you found a way to work around that then you'd have a pretty cool design.

rowanofrin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rowanofrin
Re: Moby Dick/The Bible

Holy Moby Jesus this is hilarious!

goatcane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages goatcane
rowanofrin wrote:Holy Moby Jesus this is hilarious!

Would be a big hit in the UChicago Humanities department too...

Artifexx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Artifexx

Every artist should post their own version of this in protest!

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: We're not in Kansas anymore...

@Spiritgreen-Cheers!
@JesseBYAH-Thanks. Woot loves everyone!
@queboy89-Thanks, loveengrey explained the use of red in her comment. I could always omit it, since it's the 6th color.
@loveengrey-Yes, the red is there because it's Dorothy's ruby slippers. Glad you like it.

iloveengl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages iloveengl
SpastasticNomadic wrote:This is really wonderful. GMV. And I'll definitely be in for one. Nice work.

+1 Love this. Can't wait to buy at and wear it in to class.

lucky1988

Re: Scheherazade's Other Tales

This is fantastic!

lucky1988

lucky1988

Re: Sherlock of Oz

Awesomeness!

omninull

quality posts: 0 Private Messages omninull

GMV!

flamestamp13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flamestamp13
anjulka wrote:I love the river, but I kinda wish you had put some color into the raft and passengers. Could you please elucidate on your coloring decision?

And to me, it seems like the perfect choice. Dorothy back home in Kansas was black and white, and so it makes perfect sense that Huck and Tom sailing into Oz would be the same.

Great, absolutely wonderful shirt. GMV

goatcane

Artifexx wrote:Every artist should post their own version of this in protest!

Now THAT is a great idea.

goatcane

"...Ahab did not fall down and worship it like them; but deliriously transferring its idea to the abhorred white whale, he pitted himself, all mutilated, against it. All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil, to crazy Ahab, were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Moby-Dick. He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it."

moreproduktive

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moreproduktive
Re: The Family Jules

Awesome design, Kudos to you sir

anjulka

quality posts: 5 Private Messages anjulka
flamestamp13 wrote:And to me, it seems like the perfect choice. Dorothy back home in Kansas was black and white, and so it makes perfect sense that Huck and Tom sailing into Oz would be the same.

Great, absolutely wonderful shirt. GMV

Hmmm... interesting. Okay, I can see how that would be then.

I think I may have seen Wizard of Oz once. More importantly to my confusion, when I READ Huck Finn or Tom Sawyer, my imagination had it all in full color. In fact, the colors were far more vivid then my memory of Oz in the movie. (Have not yet read the original Wonderful Wizard of Oz - it's still on my list.) Thus, while I appreciate the colors of Oz (and LOVE the river), it sorta seems backward to my experiences with the stories. Does that make sense?

blammoed

quality posts: 1 Private Messages blammoed
loveengrey wrote:You might also want to work on the border. I've never really liked shirts that have a defined border to it so maybe if you found a way to work around that then you'd have a pretty cool design.

Thanks loveengry. I'm working on a new border now, or rather trying to get rid of the current one.

anjulka

quality posts: 5 Private Messages anjulka
paigeg wrote:The absurdity of a hot-air balloon under water (or for that matter, a squid in the air) would make this - but... I don't know. I can't decide if the coral is unnecessary and just the squid/baloon should stay, or someing more is needed to really balance the air/water justaposition... A cloud, to add to that faint half-tone of air? Or maybe a darker tee color would server the same purpose, to make the 'air' pop.

Oooo - I think Paige is on to something. I like the idea of a very faint hint of a cloud. (I guess I like the idea of the squid flying through the air better.) I think this color works well with the balloon and squid colors though.

Stellardig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stellardig
chumpmagic wrote:Yeah, I used grey. I started of with the lighter blue shirt color they have, but it seemed more cohesive with the grey.

Right on! and Good luck!

Maxatrillion

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Maxatrillion

Ok, so I just watched two and a half men last night and Jake was supposed to read Lord of the Flies. Alan asked him what it was about, and Jake said, 'Its like Charlotte's Web, but from the flies point of view.'

This just reminded me of it.

coolestghoul

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coolestghoul
geekfactor12 wrote:I just want to publicly be the lone dissenter who likes the first one better. This is cute and all, but I like weird

Ditto. I like the first one better! But this one will make me happy too

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn
paigeg wrote:Cripes, what kind of women are you dating?

That is the shape that is used to symbolize a woman's bits. Similar to saying something is phallic?

And I don't date girls...

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

RankingFuuta

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RankingFuuta
Re: The Misadventures of Tom Sawyer and Captain Abhab

I see what you did there!

Nice design, hope it makes it!

Ummm, yeah.

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn
Re: Holmes/Metamorphosis

This is the first time I can honestly say I'd like a shirt with a cockroach on it.

Awesome.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

jboshaw

quality posts: 10 Private Messages jboshaw
blammoed wrote:Thanks for the advice! I'll do a bit of a redesign, I like the idea of her drawing wonderland things.

Would it make sense if she were drawing her cat Dinah..?

Now that I'm thinking of it, she might get a new face too.

That would be awesome! Do an equation where it's like...

chesire cat does not equal dinah.

just make sure to distinguish them clearly. like give dinah a bow and make her really fluffy and cute.

JayBird1288

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JayBird1288

This is absolutly ephing sick. It's a crime if this doesn't print.

pollenator77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pollenator77
stardamsel wrote:
-- Pride & Prejudice
-- Puss in Boots

What (object?) is between these two in the drawing? Is it somehow part of the Horseman's leg or something? Really like this illo, but not getting what that part is. Close-up?

fool4drummin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fool4drummin

I think Sherlock isn't tall enough, but that's just nit-picky. I like it, otherwise.

Sergio37

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sergio37

sometimesdee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sometimesdee
paigeg wrote:This is nice, and you draw and color very well. I'm just a little let down at the interpretation of the Flatlanders. I dunno - I was hoping for something more, I guess...

What, is it a little too... flat?

keelhaulkate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keelhaulkate

love the colors! GMV!

keelhaulkate

Re: Scheherazade's Other Tales

love this! GMV!

keelhaulkate

love the flying monkeys! GMV!

jcraven42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcraven42
jabberjaws13 wrote:i get the aesop's fable portion, but what is it mashed up with?

also, fyi, there is an "aesop's table" restaurant in Indy.

Actually I was mashing up several of Aesop's Fables, since their were more then one. and i only learned of the franchise after a came up with the concept.

dmecey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmecey
Re: Count Toto

She might have gotten Dorothy, but she didn't get her little dog too... Looks like Dracula beat the wicked witch to the punch!

Sorry Toto...

eye4spot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eye4spot
Re: Treasure Island / the island of Dr. Moreau

1) I really like the design...and I would definitely purchase this shirt if printed...pirate monkey with monkey skull and crossbones is brilliant.

2)The design does not make me think of the two classic tales you have comped together...and that is what this derby is about. As I look at each entry, I want to see the references with out getting a clue. So like others have said, the design lacks context within the framework of this derby.

3)Did I say I really like the basic design, color selection and details? Well I want to say it again! Very nice work!!!

eye4spot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eye4spot

Awesome....GMV!

dustirose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dustirose
idlekids wrote:

Don was always a little plumper in my head though.

well, if that's how you pictured him, that's fine, but he was definitely described as very tall and thin.

anyway, very nice design...i think the monster's going to win...

dmecey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmecey
keelhaulkate wrote:love the flying monkeys! GMV!

Flying monkeys are definitely my favorite part! Flying monkeys rule! +1