pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

My parents did not, I did not, and I refuse to for the grandkids. Mean grandma.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:My parents did not, I did not, and I refuse to for the grandkids. Mean grandma.

How bored are you?

Yes. My parents sometimes did. I did for my kids.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

The whole idea is completely foreign to me. Parents never did it, I never did it, can't imagine doing such a thing for my kids- why ould you do this? why would anyone want this?

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista

umm no, and heck no! You all know I'm a mean mom though.

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Josephus wrote:The whole idea is completely foreign to me. Parents never did it, I never did it, can't imagine doing such a thing for my kids- why ould you do this? why would anyone want this?

Because white bread crust is evil.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pooflady

Josephus wrote:The whole idea is completely foreign to me. Parents never did it, I never did it, can't imagine doing such a thing for my kids- why ould you do this? why would anyone want this?

Lots and lots of people do. I was just wondering if I was the only one that thinks it's ridiculous. Evidently not.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Parents never did, I never have...but I was also forced to sit at the table with a plate of stew that I refused to eat until bedtime, and then went to bed without dinner.

;)

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

kenney9226

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kenney9226

But how is your hair going to get curly if you don't eat the crusts?

mwiseman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwiseman

You mean the crust actually came from bread? Those bastards!!!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

I don't think my parents did but I ate around them.

I did for my son when he was very young but later, he didn't care.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Iceback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback
mwiseman wrote:You mean the crust actually came from bread? Those bastards!!!

LMAO

In the end only kindness matters

Iceback

Definitely NO(it would have been wasteful, a capital offence in a Scottish household) and no

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

No. It's a waste of bread (and the best part.)

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

Smoothesuede

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Smoothesuede

That's where all the nutrients are. I <3 my crusts. As a kid, I wouldn't eat sandwiches if they were made without crusts.
The trick to getting other kids to like it is to make sure your sandwich making skills are up to snuff. The middle can be as yummy as you like but if the edges are just bread, it's not a sandwich anymore.

Still haven't figured out how to make wheat bread appealing to other people's kids though. :[

Mavyn

Mannerly behavior that was drilled in to me mandated that while a guest, unless the host was trying to feed me something that would make me sick, I shut up, politely ate it, and said thank you.

Whinging about crusts, or wheat bread wouldn't have been acceptable.

(and no, the crust of the bread, unless it has seeds of some sort, isn't any more or less nutritious than the rest of the bread. Sorry. Don't know if you were serious there or just said it in jest, so sorry if the latter.)

KtCallista

Mavyn wrote:Parents never did, I never have...but I was also forced to sit at the table with a plate of stew that I refused to eat until bedtime, and then went to bed without dinner.

;)

Good thing you aren't my kid, you might've seen that stew again for breakfast. Admittedly I've only done that once or twice. And I believe it was cucumbers. Which we do either with skin on or half skin half not to make them look pretty.

Mavyn

KtCallista wrote:Good thing you aren't my kid, you might've seen that stew again for breakfast. Admittedly I've only done that once or twice. And I believe it was cucumbers. Which we do either with skin on or half skin half not to make them look pretty.

Leftovers for dinner the next night.

I didn't eat it then, either. Just not a fan of stew!

KtCallista

Mavyn wrote:Leftovers for dinner the next night.

I didn't eat it then, either. Just not a fan of stew!

Not going to kill you to miss a meal.

The only time we have ever made a separate dinner for the kids was one time Orc made Indian curry and he got it too spicy. He's much more careful with the spice now (or at least with how he uses peppers).

My kids get complemented by strangers about how well they eat (even at places like McDonalds), they thrive on knowing that they are not only enjoying more because they learned to try new foods, but that others think that it's impressive.

pooflady

I know a couple people that are practically short-order cooks, they either don't fix anything a kid might not like, or they fix something separate for that kid. And a couple of those kids grew up with the narrowest taste I've ever seen. Absolutely won't try anything new, they decide ahead of time (just like little kids) they're not going to like it.

mwiseman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwiseman
pooflady wrote:I know a couple people that are practically short-order cooks, they either don't fix anything a kid might not like, or they fix something separate for that kid. And a couple of those kids grew up with the narrowest taste I've ever seen. Absolutely won't try anything new, they decide ahead of time (just like little kids) they're not going to like it.

There is no way on earth we would do such a thing around our house. Everyone eats the SAME thing!

McDonald's every night. Hey, I don't want to rock the boat!

Mavyn

KtCallista wrote:Not going to kill you to miss a meal.

Oh goodness no! I have no complaints regarding that. I still don't like stew, but I'd do the same thing for a food item with my own child.

My ex-husband was like that. If I made something new, he drowned it in BBQ sauce. I gave up and he lived on microwave chicken patties coated with garlic powder and poptarts. Going to a new restaurant was terrifying to him, and he never tried something new, not even just taking a bite from what I'd ordered.

Can't imagine living that way. I have food allergies, so have to be careful, but gosh, not trying something new? I'd go crazy!

KtCallista

Mavyn wrote:Oh goodness no! I have no complaints regarding that. I still don't like stew, but I'd do the same thing for a food item with my own child.

My ex-husband was like that. If I made something new, he drowned it in BBQ sauce. I gave up and he lived on microwave chicken patties coated with garlic powder and poptarts. Going to a new restaurant was terrifying to him, and he never tried something new, not even just taking a bite from what I'd ordered.

Can't imagine living that way. I have food allergies, so have to be careful, but gosh, not trying something new? I'd go crazy!

My husband has some cousins like that, and his brother is convinced that any sort of vegetable is lethal to him. There are so many great things to try and discover! Hopefully Ver1's allergies will stay minor so she doesn't have to be ultra-careful.

AZGman

Mavyn wrote:Oh goodness no! I have no complaints regarding that. I still don't like stew, but I'd do the same thing for a food item with my own child.

Ick! Poptarts on chicken patties????

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly

I don't remember ever wanting the crusts cut off my bread. I had to do it for my sister a lot, though.

I don't have kids yet. Hopefully mine won't be that picky, but there's no telling.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

Turken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Turken

Never insisted on cutting the crusts off, but would sometimes just not eat them if there wasn't enough in the middle of the sandwich.

agreed on making kids eat a variety of foods! unless there's a health issue, no reason to cater to their every whim at dinner time.

that said, as a kid I absolutely would not eat (and still strongly dislike) fresh tomatoes. Instant gag reflex. Went without dinner/dessert on more than one occasion due to being physically incapable of swallowing those *$%^ing tomatoes.

Mavyn

AZGman wrote:Ick! Poptarts on chicken patties????

Heh. No, the poptarts were breakfast/lunch/snack. The chicken patties were his dinner.

Not too long ago, I recall a show on the Food Network about picky eaters--people who had seriously limited diets, odd/extreme eating habits. Can't recall what it was called, but they had one woman who ate peanut butter and bread. Almost nothing else. Ever. And it had to be assembled JUST right.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

i think at one time my mom offered to cut the crusts off, but i declined. since she cut my sandwiches into halves, i could already access the center part without eating crust, so leaving the crust on wasn't really an inconvenience for me in the first place.

AZGman

SURVEY FOLLOW-UP QUESTION:

When cutting a sammich in half, do you slice it diagonally or top to bottom?

Iceback

AZGman wrote: SURVEY FOLLOW-UP QUESTION:

diagonally

Mavyn

Depends on the sandwhich. Grilled cheese, diagonally. PB and most anything, side to side. sliced meat and cheese, top to bottom.

I've no clue why, though...just do.

KtCallista

Mavyn wrote:Depends on the sandwhich. Grilled cheese, diagonally. PB and most anything, side to side. sliced meat and cheese, top to bottom.

I've no clue why, though...just do.

I personally like diagonally. The kids usually get to chose and they usually like 2 cuts, either squares or triangles.

Sometimes my mom would cut the sandwiches different for people who had similar sandwiches, I must've been diagonal most of the time.

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby

Personally, I just ram the entire thing in my mouth and start massaging my throat to prevent choking. Cutting is for wusses and emo kids.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

Mavyn

Gatzby wrote:Personally, I just ram the entire thing in my mouth and start massaging my throat to prevent choking. Cutting is for wusses and emo kids.

And thus explains the connection between emos and cutting.

(yep, I'm gonna burn for that one)

pooflady

I never cut sandwiches in half.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:I never cut sandwiches in half.

Barbarian.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

Lynnzoi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lynnzoi

can't cut the crusts off.....

.........if ya do, what do you have to throw to the dogs that are patiently waiting for somethin?

Smoothesuede

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Smoothesuede
pooflady wrote:I never cut sandwiches in half.

Same. It makes for pretty lunches when you get to see the meats and cheese stacked all pretty, but who needs pretty?
It's still damn delicious without the cut, and excluding that step means I get to eat it faster.
Omnomnom.

Slarti59

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Slarti59
Mavyn wrote:Mannerly behavior that was drilled in to me mandated that while a guest, unless the host was trying to feed me something that would make me sick, I shut up, politely ate it, and said thank you.

This was true for me, but didn't apply at my parent's house. I got sandwiches with the crusts cut off, and my mom would make sure there was something I would eat at the dinner table.

It worked out fine, actually. As I got older, I would eat at other people's houses more, and that forced me to try new things.

coffeenogrumpy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages coffeenogrumpy
Gatzby wrote:Personally, I just ram the entire thing in my mouth and start massaging my throat to prevent choking. Cutting is for wusses and emo kids.

i snarfed a little when i read that

indihar

quality posts: 7 Private Messages indihar

HaHa...

I would cut the crusts off...then eat the crusts.

The my brothers would knead-up the leftover white bread, making them into squishy, doughy, balls, to go fishing for catfish with...

Then sometimes, they would bring something good home with them...like a garter snake...