Jazzybooo77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jazzybooo77
Firebert wrote:What the heck is between the leaf and the apple? If anyone says it is Pokemon...

Umm.. hills?

JazzyBooo

HerrTimmith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HerrTimmith

Speaking as a chemist and as a logophile, let me clear a few things up for some people.

Yes, you are technically correct when you say "oh, all cotton is organic." This is the same kind of "correct" as if you were to tell an off course 747 radioing you at the tower for their location that they are "in the air." Technically true, but very unhelpful, and kind of pretentious.

Organic cotton is made without pesticides, without synthetic fertilizers, and using farming techniques that keep the soil healthy and ready to grow again next season.

I'm glad all of you know what carbon-carbon bonds are, but please don't undermine the people who find these things important.

chrisfranz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrisfranz
llandar wrote:This shirt makes no argument either way about climate change, and neither do we, as we've had to repeat ad nauseum. It's Earth Day. It's a shirt about celebrating and enjoying the Earth.

Ohhhh, you just got served by the Woot staff. It burns... I bet it burns.

chrisfranz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrisfranz
gosail69541 wrote:Where's the enviro-friendly sailboat?

Was that meant as a rhetorical question? because if not - there is a sailboat at the top left, second row, and it looks pretty enviro-friendly.

ecolodge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ecolodge
HerrTimmith wrote:Speaking as a chemist and as a logophile, let me clear a few things up for some people.

Yes, you are technically correct when you say "oh, all cotton is organic." This is the same kind of "correct" as if you were to tell an off course 747 radioing you at the tower for their location that they are "in the air." Technically true, but very unhelpful, and kind of pretentious.

Organic cotton is made without pesticides, without synthetic fertilizers, and using farming techniques that keep the soil healthy and ready to grow again next season.

I'm glad all of you know what carbon-carbon bonds are, but please don't undermine the people who find these things important.

So basically we should be calling it "pesticides, without synthetic fertilizers, and using farming techniques that keep the soil healthy and ready to grow again next season cotton," instead of organic cotton.

Besides the point. Design is really cool!

Setton Farms California Pistachios with Salmonella

skrutinizr

quality posts: 8 Private Messages skrutinizr

A chemist? So you aren't really any more qualified to comment than any one else, really, unless you work in the field of farming (pun intended). As a farm owner, I can tell you that there are many natural fertilizers that can be used as well as natural pesticides. ALL farmers strive to keep the soil "healthy" so that certainly isn't only an "organic" thing. I get so tired of the organic fad. Non-steroidal animal products are far more important for your health.
Anyway, "saving" the planet is useless if Sierra Club gets their way and bans us all from actually having access to it.

MathUhhhSaurus

quality posts: 58 Private Messages MathUhhhSaurus
Firebert wrote:What the heck is between the leaf and the apple? If anyone says it is Pokemon...

lololol...now that you mention it, it does look like a Dugtrio :] I am such a Pokemon nerd :D

nice shirt, woot, but aren't all of your shirts organic? I mean they all have carbon in them (along with every other living/once living thing)

Examine Bindle of Carrots.
What Bindle of Carrots?

lutrinae

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lutrinae
natefansler wrote:organic (.....) means that the seed was not genetically manipulated to make it more productive / resilient, the ground was not fertilized, and the weeds/bugs were not sprayed.

basically, organic the most inefficient farming that you could possibly do. The funny thing is that you end up poluting the earth more by growing organic just so that you can feel better about not having anything unnatural touching you.

The only reason organic is grown or marketed is that it can be sold for alot more. I've actually talked to farmers that "grow organic" but don't really grow organic. They still spray fertilize and spray for bugs and weeds. When you sell your products, they can test for genetically altered seeds but they can't tell if you've used chemicals or fertilizer unless you spray right before harvest.

Wow, a lot of garbage here... Organic is defined in the states as not genetically modified in the lab (though it can be genetically modified through plant breeding) and its production is free of synthetic chemicals (pesticides and fertilizers, though both can be replaced by natural pesticides like live Bt bacteria and fertilizers like manure) and instead uses cultural practices (like crop diversity and mechanical procedures) to ensure yields.

Here, though, organic can still be "unsustainable" if herbicides are replaced by intensive tillage and through rain and wind erosion, the soil is destroyed. Though cover cropping, terracing, etc can stop erosion.

The certification process is not cotton fiber DNA checking after the product is made, but on farm certification like like inspections and soil testing. The land has to be pesticide free for a couple years to become certified.

If consumers care about these issues (as some clearly do), we need more certification that looks at issues such as soil health, water use, fossil fuel inputs, etc, but organic is at least a first step towards consumer goods transparency.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12

Thanks to everyone who commented or picked up a copy!

It was seriously rad to have the chance to work on a shirt like this

Monkeylovers

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Monkeylovers

Where is my shirt?

Slickpappy

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Slickpappy

Staff

Our records show it was delivered on 4/28/2010 at 1:38PM. Please check your mailbox for delivery.

Monkeylovers wrote:Where is my shirt?

gloryu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gloryu

Where are my shirts!
I ordered 2 of these shirts in April and still haven't gotten them.

skipy129

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skipy129

I really don't like it when they take shirts off of here that I'm seeing for the first time and can never buy. Sometimes I wish that once they stopped printing the shirts they would take down the images.....it's such a tease!