ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl
semisight wrote:Why's the dog there? The design would have been a lot cleaner without it. I like the idea, but that ruined it for me somehow.

Thanks for the feedback. The dog is there to anchor the design. The bright moon would otherwise be too distracting, with the large empty space between the hunter and the bird. It allows the users eye to start at the hunter and move toward the bird as the punchline. Or that was my intention anyway, it might not work for everyone. Such is art, one supposes.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
AdderXYU wrote:"condition: snuff-y"

Easily the best condition in a long damn time.

agreed!

spider_231

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spider_231
townfarmer wrote:His aim isn't the best, I see a chunk of the moon missing.

Yea, I thought he was hunting the moon before I clicked on the image. Granted I can't see anything clearly beyond 3 inches (psst this is an exaggeration), but still I love cheese.

annieflies

quality posts: 12 Private Messages annieflies
Mahjongman wrote:If you put your ear to the shirt and get real quiet, you can hear the ghost of Jim Henson crying.

Jim Henson is DEAD?? Then, um, just who exactly is operating Helen Thomas?!

oops, pardon me, i wooted

captivity

quality posts: 6 Private Messages captivity
annieflies wrote:Jim Henson is DEAD?? Then, um, just who exactly is operating Helen Thomas?!

I LOVE YOU.

I also love everything about this shirt. If it sells out in the kid sizes before I buy it this afternoon... well... [insert empty threat here]

tomalley6

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tomalley6
ste7enl wrote:Thanks for the feedback. The dog is there to anchor the design. The bright moon would otherwise be too distracting, with the large empty space between the hunter and the bird. It allows the users eye to start at the hunter and move toward the bird as the punchline. Or that was my intention anyway, it might not work for everyone. Such is art, one supposes.

I know you're the artist and everything, but you're wrong. The dog is there to mock you when you miss. Observe here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41-Icp9olSA&fmt=18&NR=1

arcade-art

quality posts: 1 Private Messages arcade-art

I guess big bird had it coming ...eventually

............ Video Game Art and Custom Sprites ............

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 217 Private Messages Spiritgreen

What a week for ste7en! WTG!

It's not for me, but I can definitely see why woot picked up this design.

Cauchmar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cauchmar
Mahjongman wrote:If you put your ear to the shirt and get real quiet, you can hear the ghost of Jim Henson crying.

Lmao! Indeed you can.

Draug

quality posts: 69 Private Messages Draug

First a mounted deer head, now Big Bird is written off...What's next, woot? Are you going to snuff out Smokey the Bear on tomorrow's shirt?

The enemy's gate is down.
Writers are people too! (Albeit strange ones.)
Save Poe! Reckon Nevermore! Or he'll be head-locked forevermore!

Quasiskunk

quality posts: 36 Private Messages Quasiskunk

Snuffeluflinkus is gunna be pissed. Beware, Mr. Hunter...he'll be looking for revenge!

ghostofdavid

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ghostofdavid
using_the_whole_fist wrote:kids sizes? my youngster could wear this to daycare...

This is the only acceptable manner to wear this shirt. Just sayin'.

Suck it, Trebek.

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240

This...is brilliant!

tomwjoseph

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomwjoseph

This is so wrong

Dutchbunch5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dutchbunch5
devyanks90 wrote:Second hunting themed shirt in a row...

From a hunter's position these aren't hunting themed shirts.

Today's shirt is funny but I don't get the Sherlock Holmes reference other than it was a popular movie recently.

Oh well, I'm saving money this way!

Xenarocks

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Xenarocks

WARNING: DO NOT wear this shirt to the traveling Smithsonian Jim Henson Exhibit currently at Concord, MA....it will get you beaten up!

februarystar27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages februarystar27
hiplobonoxa wrote:my good friend, kermit love, was the creator of the original big bird. sadly, he passed away nearly two years ago. i know he would have gotten a kick out of this design. he had a great sense of humor when it came to the characters he had worked so hard on and loved so much.

now that i look more closely at the design, the white bearded hunter kind of reminds me of kermit. he did mention to me, on more than one occasion, a preference for the big bird from the 70s over the one that's currently on sesame street...

...not that that means anything. O=)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/24/arts/24love.html

I am in complete awe of the fact that you knew Kermit Love. Lots of my early childhood memories involve favorite Sesame Street moments. I write, and one of my dreams is to be a writer for children's tv and movies, and the original Muppets creators and writers are one of my big influences.

I watched the show in the early- to mid-80s, and I prefer the Big Bird from the late-70s through the mid-80s because of that. The original 1969 Big Bird freaks me out a little... I liked when they filled out the feathers on his head.

shonnelizabeth

quality posts: 7 Private Messages shonnelizabeth

Tastes like chicken.

valianteffort

quality posts: 29 Private Messages valianteffort

So Big Bird flocks with ducks? I thought he was flightless (you know, like an ostrich).

tylerhanson

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tylerhanson

woot likes them some sesame street charectors, first cookie monster, then big bird, i imagine a shirt in the near future of Elmo selling himself on the street.

not a member of the band Hanson.

CardinalGoldstein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CardinalGoldstein

I don't know...that moon looks pretty weird. Like the dog, tho.

bkearney09

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bkearney09

Great. Everyone jump on the Sesame Street Bandwagon. The Binge is making a lot of money, so why can't we?

jlmale33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jlmale33
jeaneous wrote:"B" is actually for really big bird shot.

no, BBs are for big bird shot.

CeeMac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CeeMac

Reminds me of the Thanksgiving cartoon with all the Sesame Street characters gathered around the table getting ready to carve the roasted Big Bird! This, as well as that cartoon are JUST WRONG! Makes me want to cry! Now, if it were a purple dinosaur, that would be a different story! But, seeing as Barney can't fly . . . can someone get on that one for us ! ?

deadlyblonde

quality posts: 6 Private Messages deadlyblonde

So this shirt manages to be a parody of both Duck Hunt AND Sesame Street?!

Bravo!

byeary

quality posts: 1 Private Messages byeary

Wear this shirt if you'd like to scare the misbehaved kid down the street...

annieflies

quality posts: 12 Private Messages annieflies
CeeMac wrote:Now, if it were a purple dinosaur, that would be a different story! But, seeing as Barney can't fly . . . can someone get on that one for us ! ?

The whole 'kill Barney' meme is so overdone, tho. The beauty of Wootshirts and snark-art (snart? nahh.) in general is the use of sacred cows. Can't get much more sacred than the figurehead of childrens educational television, the uber-vulnerable Big Bird. Barney is just asking for it. Big Bird is beloved. See the difference?

oops, pardon me, i wooted

lyonessnyc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonessnyc

::jaw drops:: Whoa. Uh, no, thanks though. Eep.

LinenEphod

quality posts: 3 Private Messages LinenEphod

What's the deal with a chunk of the moon missing just above the gun smoke? Is that supposed to be a green cloud in front of the moon? Poor design in my opinion with the negative space.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots

Congrats on the print, Ste7en. I always enjoy your designs.

ladyzita

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ladyzita

Can big bird even fly? I don't think he had a chance.

mooglechocobo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mooglechocobo
ste7enl wrote:Thanks for the feedback. The dog is there to anchor the design. The bright moon would otherwise be too distracting, with the large empty space between the hunter and the bird. It allows the users eye to start at the hunter and move toward the bird as the punchline. Or that was my intention anyway, it might not work for everyone. Such is art, one supposes.

I didn't even think about it until you mentioned the bright moon, but would night really be the best time to hunt birds? I mean, Big Bird would probably be sleeping in his nest, so where's the sport in that?

effse7en

quality posts: 0 Private Messages effse7en

this guy totally stole my naming scheme >.>

I want a box of cookies

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl
mooglechocobo wrote:I didn't even think about it until you mentioned the bright moon, but would night really be the best time to hunt birds? I mean, Big Bird would probably be sleeping in his nest, so where's the sport in that?

It's not legal to hunt at night, big bird can't fly, but through my illogical logic I just assumed the reason he shot big bird was because it was too dark to see the geese.

Kingbones

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kingbones

great shirt, but should be pheasant not duck flying away, for pointing dogs.

bob4shopping

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bob4shopping
semisight wrote:Why's the dog there? The design would have been a lot cleaner without it. I like the idea, but that ruined it for me somehow.

Agreed. I'm not feelin' the dog, dawg. Looks like it's based on a heraldic horse rather than the way hunting bird dogs look on a point. Sometimes the details can really make the design immediately 'click' with the viewer. And what's up, literally, with the front of the hunter's pants?

Azurett

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Azurett
townfarmer wrote:His aim isn't the best, I see a chunk of the moon missing.

A chunk of moon isn't missing, it's the clouds that's covering a tiny part of the moon. However, that little spot bothers me too, and I feel like he shouldn't have covered a tiny spot of the moon at all, or covered more of it.

jerroul

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jerroul

I tried to resist, but resistance is futile...that is not Sherlock Holmes...the cap, a deerstalker, while associated with Basil Rathbone's portrayal of Doyle's Detective, is and was primarily a hunting cap...almost as ubiquitous at one time as the popular red flannel plaid cap with the earflaps.
Thank you, I just needed to let that be known...

erc9912

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erc9912

A few people have commented on the fact that the moon received the first wound... Upon closer investigation, it appears to be the cloud in front of the moon, rather than a design flaw, although I could be wrong.

erc9912

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erc9912
erc9912 wrote:A few people have commented on the fact that the moon received the first wound... Upon closer investigation, it appears to be the cloud in front of the moon, rather than a design flaw, although I could be wrong.

I see now that someone else has pointed this out. It appears the one comment I did not see in the thread was the one I was about to post. My sincerest apologies!