kwalknc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kwalknc

Alien Panda FTW!

bamaster

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bamaster

If only the panda bear had a gold saber tooth.

Mojomancer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Mojomancer

Ugh another venn diagram?
Pass.

AND its on grass q.q
Unimpressive.

corkysru

quality posts: 0 Private Messages corkysru
LionKnight wrote:It would be funnier if the panda was a bear. It is actually in the same family as the raccoon. With my circle of friends this would bring nothing but ridicule for lack of education on the matter.

Actually you should ridicule your friends for not knowing what they are talking about. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panda It IS A BEAR. :-D so wear the shirt with pride!!!!

BootsBoots

quality posts: 36 Private Messages BootsBoots

angelbabi523

quality posts: 11 Private Messages angelbabi523

Umm this shirt might be kind of on the wrong side of this bear venn diagram idea.

A polar bear's skin is black, and the hairs are translucent.

http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/polar-bears/bear-essentials-polar-style/characteristics/fur-and-skin

I don't think pandas fit in that union category with this in mind.

CaptainTr1pps

quality posts: 15 Private Messages CaptainTr1pps
angelbabi523 wrote:Umm this shirt might be kind of on the wrong side of this bear venn diagram idea.

A polar bear's skin is black, and the hairs are translucent.

http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/polar-bears/bear-essentials-polar-style/characteristics/fur-and-skin

I don't think pandas fit in that union category with this in mind.

Don't you have some puppies to go kick in the face?

And who's the crazy guy trying to tell people that panda's are raccoons? Or is that a joke about the eyes I didn't get.

Pic Related -

dave17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dave17
jel2301 wrote:That's because the name of the animal is a panda, not a panda bear. It is a bear, or at least is in the bear family, but it's not actually called a panda bear. So while dissatisfying to your sense of parallelism, the shirt is correct.

They are not related to bears,but more closely related to raccoons.

dave17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dave17
CaptainTr1pps wrote:Don't you have some puppies to go kick in the face?

And who's the crazy guy trying to tell people that panda's are raccoons? Or is that a joke about the eyes I didn't get.

Pic Related -

Looks like there is still some debate on the subject.

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/mammals/panda-hibernation2.htm

southpaw3687

quality posts: 1 Private Messages southpaw3687

Is it just me, or does that diagram strangely look like Marvin from The Hitchhiker's Guide movie?

CaptainTr1pps

dave17 wrote:Looks like there is still some debate on the subject.

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/mammals/panda-hibernation2.htm

Not regarding Giant Panda's, and you know, biologists. They're bears.

Red panda's are a different argument but they were never really believed to be related, the word Panda not being nomenclature.

lyonessnyc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonessnyc

Ya know, I might actually have gone for this one if the shirt really had been "red all over." I get a silly glee out of that old joke.

kimberleygriffin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kimberleygriffin

i am gonna wear this shirt to teach middle school math

angelbabi523

quality posts: 11 Private Messages angelbabi523
CaptainTr1pps wrote:Don't you have some puppies to go kick in the face?

Pic Related -

haha nope if kicked all my puppies in the face this morning. I just thought if they were going to merge my 2 favorite shirt topics of math and bears, woot would at least try to be a bit more accurate

i love xkcd, and that specific strip, so for that you win... ill go kick some translucent hair, black skinned polar bear cubs into some black bear cubs and hope they merge into a panda. there is always hope...

DaveD1420

quality posts: 7 Private Messages DaveD1420
bassanimation wrote:The rest of my Venn memories are courtesy of Woot ^^;.

That's unfortunate, as most of the Venn Diagram shirts on here are incorrect, like this one is.

LinenEphod

quality posts: 3 Private Messages LinenEphod

demon42

quality posts: 1 Private Messages demon42

What gives with this shirt's popularity in the pacific northwest?
I happen to live in Oregon and I picked one up, but AFAIK my affinity for pandas has not been influenced by the region...

RandomLynx

quality posts: 5 Private Messages RandomLynx

Needs more panda.

plut0nium

quality posts: 0 Private Messages plut0nium
me2you wrote:Wow... I've always wanted a (green) shirt with a big white/black blob on it! Not to mention the amazing detail on the design!

...Sheesh, why didn't Woot hire me to do this one? I know a few handy tools in PS to make this likity-split.

Agreed, I'm not sure how this qualifies as "cute" as someone previously said. It is both incorrect and on grass so I'll have to pass...

shanesny

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shanesny

[dwight] Question: which bear is best? [/dwight]

leigao84

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leigao84

First of all, pandas do belong to the family Ursidae (which is the bear family). It was once thought that pandas are closer to raccoons but genetics studies have placed them as true bears...

Now the graphic is suppose to be funny and not educational... since pandas are distant cousins to the black bears and polar bears.

Fun fact: polar bears and the grizzlies are so closely related, their hybrids are even fertile and occurs in the wild.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly%E2%80%93polar_bear_hybrid

demon42

plut0nium wrote:Agreed, I'm not sure how this qualifies as "cute" as someone previously said. It is both incorrect and on grass so I'll have to pass...

Cuteness is entirely subjective. I happen to think that this shirt is quite cute. I think "oh, sad panda" when I see it, even before I notice the diagram.

Cuteness aside, I think that all these accusations of the shirt being incorrect are completely off base! There is no title on the diagram, it could very well (and accurately) represent "The apparent coloration of three similarly shaped mammals."

Even if the sets are intended to represent all aspect of each creature as some people are assuming, the diagram could be labeled "Black Bears, Polar Bears and Pandas as observed by a third grader." Although this supposed third-grader's observations are incomplete, they are not incorrect.

If you still need another contextual example to show this diagram makes sense, try "A common mis-conception of the relationship between three species."

As with any illustration, you cannot show that it's validity without proper context. This graphic has no context as presented, so it cannot be shown to be either accurate or inaccurate.

epiphane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages epiphane
captivity wrote:I've been trying to explain to my kidlet that, 'mommy's black, daddy's white and you're both' - perhaps this shirt will help him proudly proclaim his heritage while also preventing him from being technically nakey.

hahahaha. That is too funny. Both and brown all at the same time. I love it

epiphane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages epiphane
southpaw3687 wrote:Is it just me, or does that diagram strangely look like Marvin from The Hitchhiker's Guide movie?

Marvin. That is what I thought of when I saw it right after I asked.... what the heck is that s'posed to b?

Smoothesuede

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Smoothesuede

Woot, you've managed to print an awful looking shirt once again.
I'm sorry.
I -want- to give you my money, but you make it so difficult sometimes.

CaptainTr1pps

angelbabi523 wrote:haha nope if kicked all my puppies in the face this morning. I just thought if they were going to merge my 2 favorite shirt topics of math and bears, woot would at least try to be a bit more accurate

i love xkcd, and that specific strip, so for that you win... ill go kick some translucent hair, black skinned polar bear cubs into some black bear cubs and hope they merge into a panda. there is always hope...

You know that's probably still illegal in Alabama.

bearthatispolar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bearthatispolar

you know, if your using a laptop, and hold it upside down, the picture looks pissed

rabdpnguin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rabdpnguin
ThunderThighs wrote:My favorite Venn diagram

That is not technically a Venn diagram. =P

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

dave17 wrote:They are not related to bears,but more closely related to raccoons.

Red Pandas were classified with raccoons, but it was controversial and changed to the bear family. That wasn't good enough either so they decided to make a new family just for them (ailuridae). Giant Pandas are bears.

Ailuridae

Wikipedia has been known to be wrong, but I can't see someone messing with this page.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

demon42

bearthatispolar wrote:you know, if your using a laptop, and hold it upside down, the picture looks pissed

Or just look down when wearing the shirt :-)

fright01

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fright01

Not a very appealing shirt.

wvruthie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wvruthie

Believe it or not I am teaching "compare and contrast" this week in my reading classes (juve offenders), and I got this shirt to wear and show to them. In education we have co-opted the humble Venn Diagram and call it a Graphic Organizer....it's in my lesson plans!

keithjmc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages keithjmc
shanesny wrote:[dwight] Question: which bear is best? [/dwight]

Not an actual Dwight quote but since we are doing references.

"Bears eat beats. Bears, Beats, Battlestar Gallactica."

Big Orphaned Cetacea 3/9/11
Random Crap 12/1/10
Random Crap 5/26/10

ghostofdavid

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ghostofdavid
keithjmc wrote:Not an actual Dwight quote but since we are doing references.

"Bears eat beats. Bears, Beats, Battlestar Gallactica."

That isn't an actual Dwight quote either. He was referencing beets, not beats. ;)

Suck it, Trebek.

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx
bassanimation wrote:The only time I ever really used any Venn Diagrams was when I was in pre-K or so. Red and yellow circle makes orange circle, and so on. The rest of my Venn memories are courtesy of Woot ^^;.

Don't feel bad, Draxxx, I will be dum whith u. ~_~

Thanks Bass.

Me and math...we don't see eye to eye.
This is a math formula right?

wgordon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wgordon
demon42 wrote:What gives with this shirt's popularity in the pacific northwest?
I happen to live in Oregon and I picked one up, but AFAIK my affinity for pandas has not been influenced by the region...

The woots by states looks a lot like Explore, Enjoy, Protect's http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=3900590

I wonder if people who love pandas tend to be eco-conscious as well.

demon42

wgordon wrote:The woots by states looks a lot like Explore, Enjoy, Protect's http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=3900590

I wonder if people who love pandas tend to be eco-conscious as well.

Is it my imagination, or are Oregon and Washington often two of the brightest states on shirt.woot maps?

Woot Gods, would it be incredibly difficult to create a map that merges the sales data for the last X shirts? Which state(s) buy the most t-shirts?

bacguffin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bacguffin

I WANT ONE but totally missed it

So sad, anyone know how I can still get one??

contemporaryscarlett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages contemporaryscarlett

Spotted a guy wearing this shirt last night while watching the San Francisco Giants on TV. Their 3rd baseman is Pablo Sandoval, a popular player with the nickname of "Kung Fu Panda".