+ Add a Comment

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

Derby #148: Déjà vu

We've all had those moments that make you feel like the Matrix is reconfiguring: did that cat just walk by twice? Have I been in this gas station bathroom before? Didn't I already design a shirt for this theme? Pick your favorite Derby theme from the past and come up with your best new design! Be sure to check out the list at Shirt.What? to make sure you know your options. While we're at it, if you want to discuss your design ideas for the Derby before the Derby itself is up, head on over to this thread in the forums. Obviously you'll want to follow the design restrictions, but each Derby has its own individual rules and regulations, so for the contest just follow these simple rules:

No resubmissions. Not even "significantly altered" ones. Your design has to be brand-spanking new.

No using Derby #55c: Freestyle. Nice try, though.

No copyrighted material.

Keep it classy. No racism, no religious mockery, no drug use or paraphernalia, you know the drill.

Title Your Design with the Derby You've Chosen. We've got to be able to tell somehow.

Quality Posts

truffleshuffle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle

Oh my god...so much freedom...what am I gonna do???

spilzer

quality posts: 119 Private Messages spilzer

Oooh, yes! Here's a chance for all those designs that never quite got finished in time.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
spilzer wrote:Oooh, yes! Here's a chance for all those designs that never quite got finished in time.

^ This!

Yay, I have tooons of unfinished art that I tried to do for past derbies. Maybe I can find one that would be good enough :D.

Also, thank you Woot gods for giving us a full week. Life's been too hectic to pull an all-nighter for a while..

ChuckRobs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChuckRobs

I plan to slave for a week over this, I'm excited to see what people create!

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar

TO CLARIFY SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT THE RULES:

You should follow the stylistic guidelines of your Derby of choice, i.e. if you choose "Propaganda" you need to make a piece of propaganda.

You should only follow the additional Woot rules of Derby #148, so things like "No Videogames" don't apply this time around.

bassanimation

Ohhh man, exciting isn't even enough!! I am doin' the Happyness Jigg!! I have only been a part of Woot for a short time, so there's a lot of awesome themes I missed. I joined shortly after the Japan derby, which I would have looved to participate in. *_*

I am giddy. Like a school girl on speed... XD~~~

Sergio37

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sergio37

guys: quick question: how about old derbys without rules?

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ

It's hard to not love this one. aloha everyone. see ya next week. =P

sasham62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasham62

I've had a few extra ideas in the short time I've been here, but I'm kind of tired of trying to compete against professional illustrators with professional design software.
Not sure what I'm going to do.

Icemank91

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Icemank91
sasham62 wrote:I've had a few extra ideas in the short time I've been here, but I'm kind of tired of trying to compete against professional illustrators with professional design software.

Don't give up! Also, if you have great ideas but can't always realize them, ask to do a collab with some one!

Good luck!

vzfamily

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vzfamily
sasham62 wrote:I've had a few extra ideas in the short time I've been here, but I'm kind of tired of trying to compete against professional illustrators with professional design software.

You sound like me with my photography.
As someone who has the same attitude as you, I'll say what everyone says to me: DON'T give up. Use all of this as practice to continue to improve. Just because they have good software, if they weren't talented, it wouldn't be worth anything. Perfect what you can do using the software you have. I know it gets frustrating, but if this is something you enjoy doing, keep trying!

Don't many here use GIMP? (I was under the impression that they did). If so, I believe that's free!!

llandar

Sergio37 wrote:guys: quick question: how about old derbys without rules?

Look up.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Neat theme!

Sorry if this is really obvious... but what are the rules on text this derby? If the derby you choose allowed it, then is it allowed? Or some other rule?

vzfamily

This one should be interesting - can't wait to see everyone's creations since they can be worked on for a week!

mikenytola

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola

Here's the list for those that missed the link in the derby description:

146 Eyewitness History
145 Spring 2010
144 How Do They Work
143 Earth Day
142 Classic Literature Mashup
141 Classic Comics Style
140 Things That Start With the Letter S
139 Madness
138 Band Names Reinterpreted
137 Luck
136 The New Vintage
135 Faster Higher Stronger
134 Double-Take Derby Eight
133 The Chinese Zodiac
132 Heart
131 Palindromes
130 Nightmares
129 Ancient Egypt
128 Things that start with the Letter V
127 Renew
126 Events of 2009 Illustrated
125 Birds
124 Naughty and Nice
123 Christmas & Holiday Songs Illustrated
122 Family
121 Propaganda for Everyday Life
120 Double-Take Derby 7
119 Flight
118 Visual Puns
117 Halloween 09
116 Erase Hunger, Create Hope
115 National Parks
114 Cooking
113 Harvest
112 Japan
111 Blues
110 Flora
109 School
108 Architecture
107 Bags
106 Double-Take Derby 6
105 Two
104 Tattoo
103 Outer Space
102 Pressure
101 Fake Band T-Shirts
100 Mystery
99 The Sun
98 Famous Quotations Illustrated
97 BBQ
96 Dance
95 Pointillism
94 Air
93 Double-Take Derby 5
92 Steampunk
91 Trees
90 Almost
89 Dinosaurs
88 Music
87 Art Deco
86 TV Show Titles Re-Interpreted
85 Circus
84 The Sea
83 Exercise
82 Individualism
81 Heartbreak
80 Double-Take Derby 4
79 Myths and Legends
78 Winter 2009
77 Alternate History
76 Beginning
75 Cabin Fever
74 One Continuous Line
73 Optimism
72 Book Titles Re-Interpreted
71 Thrift
70 The Seven Deadly Sins
69 Miniature Worlds
68 Double-Take Derby
67 Video Games Through Art History
66 Versus
65 Shirt as Costume
64 Pets
63 Art as Text
62 Panic!
61 Movie Titles Re-Interpreted
60 Autumn
59 At The Luau
58 Work
57 Dessert
56 Your Favorite Element
55c Derbylympics - Freestyle
55b Derbylympics - Oxymorons
55a Derbylympics - Black and White
54 The Old West
53 Double-Take Derby 2
52 Emergency
51 Pixel Grid
50 Energy
49 Independence
48 Bugs
47 Home
46 Green
45 Imaginational Symbols
44 Summer
43 Slogans
42 Join the Revolution!
41 Alphabet
40 Motherhood
39 Motion
38 The Year You Were Born
37 Greed
36 Text as Art
35 Spring
34 Canada
33 Lyrics Illustrated
32 Line Art
31 Water
30 Leap Year
29 Trompe L`Oeil
28 Quitter
27 Dreams
26 Graffiti
25 Citizenship
24 Invention
23 The Big Do-Over
22 Other Words of the Year
21 Winter
20 Create Your Own Holiday
19 Travel
18 Patterns
17 Consumerism
16 Information Graphics
15 Time Travel Souvenirs
14 Nutrition
13 Halloween
12 Night
11 Cryptozoological
10 City without Words
9 Summer Into Fall
8 Blank is the new Pirate
7 Visual Sound
6 Fake Me Out to the Ballgame
5 Light
4 Maps
3 Superheroes
2 Heat
1 One

jabberjaws13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
jasneko wrote:Neat theme!

Sorry if this is really obvious... but what are the rules on text this derby? If the derby you choose allowed it, then is it allowed? Or some other rule?

hey jas! from what llandar (woot staff) said is that you only need to follow the style it was asking for, but that all the extraneous rules do not apply (ie. text, video games, bunnies, etc). so everything is fair game, but you have to follow the rules stated in derby 148. that is my take anyway.

Happy Beer.

bassanimation

I used to have this same attitude when I first came here. (Many people want/ed to throttle me for it ^^;..) I learned pretty quickly though that these derbies are a real toss-up. There are many times when very simple designs win, and there are times when complex designs win. Even the 'big dogs' here go through rough spots. While it is exceedingly hard to compete, it's still a great challenge to try and up your own skills . It is also a good guage of how to appeal to a large number of people, see new art techniques, styles, etc.

As for professional programs, there are ways to get them without losing your arms and legs. A lot of the time, Ebay has older versions of Adobe up for sale. Older versions are still wonderful and are just as capable as the newest version. It's all about your knowledge and raw skills. The programs can't do it all for you ^_~ Also, there is a great affordable program called Paint Tool SAI. I loooove that and it's very cheap. Open Canvas is also cheap and very popular with artists.

Try to hang in there! I have been where you are. It takes some time and practice, but try to have fun along the way .

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc

This is going to be crazy. My mind is all over the place trying to lock down a single theme to start with. This is a crazy wide-open derby with a whole week to work. I predict a ton of really good designs and a ton of really bad designs.

mikenytola

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
bassanimation wrote:
As for professional programs, there are ways to get them without losing your arms and legs. A lot of the time, Ebay has older versions of Adobe up for sale. Older versions are still wonderful and are just as capable as the newest version. It's all about your knowledge and raw skills. The programs can't do it all for you ^_~ Also, there is a great affordable program called Paint Tool SAI. I loooove that and it's very cheap. Open Canvas is also cheap and very popular with artists.

You forgot GIMP, another free solution for those that don't have the spending money.

jabberjaws13

odysseyroc wrote:This is going to be crazy. My mind is all over the place trying to lock down a single theme to start with. This is a crazy wide-open derby with a whole week to work. I predict a ton of really good designs and a ton of really bad designs.

i predict some average designs. now we have everything covered. =D

Happy Beer.

vzfamily

mikenytola wrote:You forgot GIMP, another free solution for those that don't have the spending money.

Can I ask a (possibly) off topic question: Other than Double Take Derbies - WHY can't anyone resubmit a design (without reworking). I mean, if it adequatly falls into another catergory, why can't they resub it? There are many I see that never make it to the fog that I love...

theWanker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theWanker

It's the professional illustrators that are tough, not the professional software. There are people here who could probably kick my ass at this using nothing but a stick and a bucket of sand. Oh well.

I always got good grades at school. I have a great job. I'm used to being among the best at things I really care about.

Here, I'm surprisingly happy to take 20th place. It's humbling, but also healthy.

In the end, the prize winners will forget how they squandered their money. Even shirts like "Nevermore" eventually go out of print, fade and are forgotten.

It'd be nice to win, but for me it's about forcing myself to do something really creative at least once a week, and do it better than I did it the week before.

As the cliche goes, it's not the destination, it's how you get there.

odysseyroc

jabberjaws13 wrote:i predict some average designs. now we have everything covered. =D

lol, I expect to see a handful of average designs, but mostly really good or really bad designs.

jabberjaws13

i am really excited about this. i discovered shirt.woot the monday after derby 53 which was a double take derby. there are many derbies i wish i had shirts from, which is why i was ecstatic when classics arose, but sadly it vanished just as quickly.

this is my only plea for the designers this derby ..... please please please do some designs featuring early derbies from woot's infancy! please refrain from swirls and trees, please give me your fresh ideas. i promise i will buy your freshness!

@bass - i would love love love love love love to see the puggies!!! =D

@tgentry - perhaps it is time for another chogentry design like this (PLEASE!)
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=17427

Happy Beer.

jabberjaws13

odysseyroc wrote:lol, I expect to see a handful of average designs, but mostly really good or really bad designs.

hey if you end up livestreaming eventually please let us know. it's fun to watch.

Happy Beer.

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 128 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
llandar wrote:TO CLARIFY SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT THE RULES:

You should follow the stylistic guidelines of your Derby of choice, i.e. if you choose "Propaganda" you need to make a piece of propaganda.

You should only follow the additional Woot rules of Derby #148, so things like "No Videogames" don't apply this time around.

Won't the no copyrighted material rule cover video games? Or am I reading that one too broadly?

jabberjaws13

DianaSprinkle wrote:Won't the no copyrighted material rule cover video games? Or am I reading that one too broadly?

good catch diana! now i am curious to know.

Happy Beer.

odysseyroc

jabberjaws13 wrote:hey if you end up livestreaming eventually please let us know. it's fun to watch.

I will probably livestream tomorrow. I just need to lock down an idea, but I'd like to get started on something tomorrow afternoon.

odysseyroc

DianaSprinkle wrote:Won't the no copyrighted material rule cover video games? Or am I reading that one too broadly?

You can't draw a picture of Mario, but you can suggest Mario in your design (if that makes sense). Kind of like how The Binge might or might not be Cookie Monster, but you totally know it's cookie monster.

nevetnod

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nevetnod

[quote postid="3941805" user="mikenytola"]Here's the list for those that missed the link in the derby description:

107 Bags

Ooops! I think they need to exclude this one from this new derby! :-)

I like celery.

jabberjaws13

general question:

do you think the woot staff sits at their desks saying:

"wth guys! why do you have to pick apart every rule or find loopholes to everything?!? just follow the theme! i'm going for a walk....."

Happy Beer.

theWanker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theWanker

I'm doing the dinosaur derby. I've had this idea of doing a giant t-rex head tilted sideways for a while now. (When bears do it it just looks awesome.) Here's a very prelim:

Now the joke is going to be he can't reach the mug or the birthday cupcake with his short arms. That's why they were so irritable.

But I'm wondering what is the ideal objective. Maybe a cupcake? Coffee mug? Pretty flower?

I also thought about him holding a glock gangster style (tilted the other way) and maybe giving him a gold tooth. He could be doing a gangland sign with the two fingers in his other hand. I wouldn't show the tongue.

Gangsta T-Rex is a little less wearable for the kiddies, though, and I'd like to design something I could give to my four year old.

I'll flesh out the body and background once I get an idea for the object. I think I'm going to make him kind of hunched over, like a cat trying to reach a hard-to-reach spot on his belly.

I'm very, very open for suggestions.

llandar

odysseyroc wrote:You can't draw a picture of Mario, but you can suggest Mario in your design (if that makes sense). Kind of like how The Binge might or might not be Cookie Monster, but you totally know it's cookie monster.

Precisely. The "No Video Games" rule means we don't want any implied reference or parody of video games (usually because we've had a recent glut of designs like that and want to change it up a bit). You can parody a scene from Halo if you want, but you still can't throw Master Chief's mug on a shirt. We'd likely get sued.

llandar

jasneko wrote:Neat theme!

The rules are posted in the Derby description. You follow the STYLE GUIDELINES of the Derby you choose. You follow the extraneous rules (the stuff in bold at the end) of THIS Derby. So the only additional rules to worry about are:

No resubmissions.

No using Derby #55c: Freestyle.

No copyrighted material.

Keep it classy.

Title Your Design with the Derby You've Chosen.

llandar

jabberjaws13 wrote:general question:

do you think the woot staff sits at their desks saying:

"wth guys! why do you have to pick apart every rule or find loopholes to everything?!? just follow the theme! i'm going for a walk....."

This is extremely possible.

jabberjaws13

llandar wrote:This is extremely possible.

ha! i knew it!

(i feel the same way in my job somedays....)

Happy Beer.

bassanimation

jabberjaws13 wrote:

@bass - i would love love love love love love to see the puggies!!! =D

Awwww, my little Fug Pugs? I think people here would probably stab me if I submitted them, haha! Plus, I think they're too stylized. People generally don't respond to things that are too weird looking. Plus, Woot retains the rights to the images forever if your design wins . I'm too fond of my pugs to give them up forever. ;_;.

Then again...I can always do new versions of the Fug Pugs, which I've wanted to do for awhile anyways. :D

I'll actually be finishing my Band Names Reinterpreted design. I also have an Earth Day one that is ok, plus numerous sketches from past derbies. Augh, its so hard to decide what to do.

jabberjaws13

bassanimation wrote:Awwww, my little Fug Pugs? I think people here would probably stab me if I submitted them, haha! Plus, I think they're too stylized. People generally don't respond to things that are too weird looking. Plus, Woot retains the rights to the images forever if your design wins . I'm too fond of my pugs to give them up forever. ;_;.

Then again...I can always do new versions of the Fug Pugs, which I've wanted to do for awhile anyways. :D

I'll actually be finishing my Band Names Reinterpreted design. I also have an Earth Day one that is ok, plus numerous sketches from past derbies. Augh, its so hard to decide what to do.

i understand not wanting to give them up. they are so awesome though just all hanging out and what not. =)

Happy Beer.

odysseyroc

This is my first rough idea, it'll be underground comics style (classic comics derby).