theWanker


quality posts: 0 Private Messages theWanker

Man, I hope Woot doesn't do another one of these for a long, long time. I've got to get back to normal or my wife is going to force an intervention.

Here's my stuff. I think this is everything. I doubt I'll finish Dino Fun Shirt. I seem to be the only person who likes the concept.

theWanker


quality posts: 0 Private Messages theWanker

Funny--looking at them all together like that, I think my favorite might be LMAO.My heart is in T-Rex (who hasn't had a crappy birthday that they really brought on themselves?) but I just like the colors on that one.

I spent by far the most time on the oil drill one. But it just feels too disjointed. I think I tried too hard on it or something. Maybe should've had fewer dinos. Meh.

theWanker


quality posts: 0 Private Messages theWanker
JRWorkshop wrote:Still working on it.
A tribute to Mr. Dio (Holy Diver). A remake of a design i did myself for the lyrics illustrated derby.
Comments are appreciated.



The diver/shark flat out rock. I agree the snake is the weak link.

If it were me:
1. I'd try to pull the diver's arm back, still holding the lance.
2. Drastically shrink down the snake and make him still alive.
3. Arrange them diagonally to create tension/motion.

This way you have one center of interest (diver/shark), but you also create drama. The eye follows his pointing finger/lance down to the depths where the snake is.

Besides, it's always more interesting to me when a battle is about to begin, than when it's over and there's just a dead critter and some dude looking happy.

JRWorkshop


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JRWorkshop

[quote postid="3948854" user="theWanker"]The diver/shark flat out rock. I agree the snake is the weak link.

If it were me:
1. I'd try to pull the diver's arm back, still holding the lance.
2. Drastically shrink down the snake and make him still alive.
3. Arrange them diagonally to create tension/motion.

I'm following more or less this scene:

The reminiscence to that scene pretty important.
I'ts a vertical design so it can be read from top to bottom and cover the whole shirt (till the very edge of woot's printable area) Following the Story since the tip of the wings till the tongue of the dead dragon, and then go back to find little details.
Maybe the dragon looks dull now, but it's in it's early stages. I'm gonna make the image look awesome and epic, Like Dio's songs.


graffd02


quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02

Here's my two... still working on Extinction, not quite sure on the color choice, I moved it off of orange and onto creme, but it seems bland now... any suggestions?

Extinction... (Dinosaur Derby) Click for enlarge


By The Horns! (Pixel Grid Derby)

jabberjaws13


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
JRWorkshop wrote:[quote postid="3948854" user="theWanker"]The diver/shark flat out rock. I agree the snake is the weak link.

If it were me:
1. I'd try to pull the diver's arm back, still holding the lance.
2. Drastically shrink down the snake and make him still alive.
3. Arrange them diagonally to create tension/motion.

I'm following more or less this scene:

The reminiscence to that scene pretty important.
I'ts a vertical design so it can be read from top to bottom and cover the whole shirt (till the very edge of woot's printable area) Following the Story since the tip of the wings till the tongue of the dead dragon, and then go back to find little details.
Maybe the dragon looks dull now, but it's in it's early stages. I'm gonna make the image look awesome and epic, Like Dio's songs.



i think what they are getting at is having the back hand higher in the air, the same as what you are using for a reference. basically make it to where a strike is eminent, not that it already happened.

anticipation is greater than the act itself kind of thinking.

Happy Beer.

Lagbert


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
SubBass49 wrote:
The only way I've been able to distress designs in the past (and on the one I posted earlier) was to take an image of gravel texture, threshold it, and select color range...then use that to delete the layers down to the base shirt color. I know - ghetto huh?


That's not much different that the way you would do it with brushes. I think the main problem with your distressing was it consumed too much of your design. I would recommend wadding up a piece of heavy paper a couple of times, flattening it out, scanning it, then using curves to bring out the lines and try that. You'll get very natural distressing but less of your image will be consumed by the background color.

I guess one of these days I should try to scrape together the money for a newer version of photoshop, but damn if it ain't really expensive. Maybe if I ever win a derby that's what I'll do with the money! LoL!



Try Gimp (gimp.org) and Inkscape (inkscape.org). They are basically open source version of Photoshop and Illustrator. I use them for all of my design work.

JRWorkshop


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JRWorkshop
jabberjaws13 wrote:i think what they are getting at is having the back hand higher in the air, the same as what you are using for a reference. basically make it to where a strike is eminent, not that it already happened.

anticipation is greater than the act itself kind of thinking.



Now I get it. Gonna do some sketching tonight to see how it looks, but im liking the idea already.


theWanker


quality posts: 0 Private Messages theWanker
jabberjaws13 wrote:i think what they are getting at is having the back hand higher in the air, the same as what you are using for a reference. basically make it to where a strike is eminent, not that it already happened.

anticipation is greater than the act itself kind of thinking.



Exactly.

I'd also add that the image he references is actually at a diagonal. Not drastic, but enough to create tension and a sense of motion. The lance comes in from the corner to the center.

His own drawing is much more vertical and therefore static. The lance starts in the middle and ends in the middle.

jabberjaws13


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
JRWorkshop wrote:Now I get it. Gonna do some sketching tonight to see how it looks, but im liking the idea already.



cool. i wasn't sure if i explained it right. sometimes i can see it in my head but words escape me. i look forward to the finished version though!!

Happy Beer.

goobster013


quality posts: 0 Private Messages goobster013
Lagbert wrote:My thoughts exactly. Personally, I liked version C the best, but some of the points made regarding B reading better were definitely a good call.



definitely liking this one!

KromeHWI


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KromeHWI
Spiritgreen wrote:@BootsBoots, I like "Live in Mediocrity" more than "Welcome to" because it feels more like an advert for the housing development. Either is good but for me it's a little more original.


@odysseyroc, love the new placement for your cutlery shirt. That works.


@KromeHWI, it's a halftone effect. Lots of solid dots of color instead of a soft gradient.

There's all the info you need in this thread!




hey thanks a bunch! after i posted i did finally find some tutorials online which got me part of the way, but this thred is more directly aplicable to what i want to do with it. thanks again!


odysseyroc


quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
KromeHWI wrote:hey thanks a bunch! after i posted i did finally find some tutorials online which got me part of the way, but this thred is more directly aplicable to what i want to do with it. thanks again!



I made a quick tutorial vid and uploaded it to youtube. It's still processing, but you should be able to watch it in a little while

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hqpg7nfdmk





theWanker


quality posts: 0 Private Messages theWanker
odysseyroc wrote:I made a quick tutorial vid and uploaded it to youtube. It's still processing, but you should be able to watch it in a little while

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hqpg7nfdmk



Thanks--I enjoyed that one. I also checked out your videos on inking and coloring on youtube. Nice stuff.

I'm still really new to drawing/coloring on a computer, but it seems to me a lot easier to use Illustrator for the drawing portion. Much simpler to re-arrange pieces.

Until now, I've always done the coloring in there too, but after watching your videos I realize I've been making it much harder on myself than I have to. I'm doing all the coloring in Photoshop from now on.

Anyway, thanks again for the videos! I wish it looked as easy when I do it!

odysseyroc


quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
theWanker wrote:Thanks--I enjoyed that one. I also checked out your videos on inking and coloring on youtube. Nice stuff.

I'm still really new to drawing/coloring on a computer, but it seems to me a lot easier to use Illustrator for the drawing portion. Much simpler to re-arrange pieces.

Until now, I've always done the coloring in there too, but after watching your videos I realize I've been making it much harder on myself than I have to. I'm doing all the coloring in Photoshop from now on.

Anyway, thanks again for the videos! I wish it looked as easy when I do it!



Yeah, illustrator gives you much more control. Ideally I'd ink in illustrator and color in photoshop. I just don't like bothering with vectors most of the time.





Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

This is my final design, I think. I've muted the coloring some, and my only concern is whether I can use a png or not- I can't remember.

Lagbert


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
Josephus wrote:This is my final design, I think. I've muted the coloring some, and my only concern is whether I can use a png or not- I can't remember.



The big file you submit has to be print ready. In other words you need to have a layer for each individual color. So you'll have to submit it has a psd, pdf, svg, or ai file.

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
JRWorkshop wrote:Still working on it.
A tribute to Mr. Dio (Holy Diver). A remake of a design i did myself for the lyrics illustrated derby.
Comments are appreciated.



I'm not loving the monster/serpent, either. But, I think it's not done? A really dynamic comp would have the coils of the serpent reaching up and trying to bring down the shark. THAT would rock! I reviewed the Holy Diver lyrics for some indication of some other critter that would work, but it's a pretty simply written song. I'd actually love to see this done old-school rocker album cover style, with a big-breasted serpent chick as the monster. But, well. OK, this is Woot. Damn.

walmazan


quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan
paigeg wrote:Sooo cute! This would fit in the Pets Derby, or Naughty/Nice really well. I think Naught/Nice would be the better fit, IMO.



Thans so much paigeg!

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
JRWorkshop wrote:I'm trying to mix a lot of things.
The shark isn't any shark, it's a Tiger shark (ride the tiger...).I'm trying to make it like Saint Michael killing the demon. That's why i need the serpent (devil) laying in the bottom of the ocean, dead.
Of course, the diver is making the horns. A 'contra' symbol (against devil eye) and a Dio's trademark, widely known and used by metal fans.



BTW, horns up to you for the design. It's cool now, and I'm sure the finish will rock! Sidebar - how do you feel about the Killswitch Engage remake? I'm on the fence. I think I like both, because they kept it real. But the growl/scream/retch break kills it for me. If they dumped that, I'd love the KE version.

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
theWanker wrote:Man, I hope Woot doesn't do another one of these for a long, long time. I've got to get back to normal or my wife is going to force an intervention.

Here's my stuff. I think this is everything. I doubt I'll finish Dino Fun Shirt. I seem to be the only person who likes the concept.



LMAO! Conquer with numbers. Love it - you go! And now GO reconcile with the wife!

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
goobster013 wrote:definitely liking this one!



Me, too. But am I seeing two different shades of white? Seems odd...

theWanker


quality posts: 0 Private Messages theWanker
paigeg wrote:LMAO! Conquer with numbers. Love it - you go! And now GO reconcile with the wife!



lol. Well, I'd hardly say "conquer". The best I've done in a derby so far was 21st place. I'm not that optimistic I'll do much better this round. But I'm learning a ton of stuff.

Before the last few months it'd been over 15 years since I picked up a pen and drew anything. I'm surprising myself how much fun I've had doing it.

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
odysseyroc wrote:I made a quick tutorial vid and uploaded it to youtube. It's still processing, but you should be able to watch it in a little while

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hqpg7nfdmk



trucking-A! You make it look so effortless. I have to find the equivalents in my historic version of Photoshop and play around. But even with that so easy, straightforward vid, it's gonna be a challenge.
I REALLY need to take a class. I got owned by woot! is a channel? What's Alpha?
Don't worry, I'm not panicking. Just feeling a tad behind the curce for the first time in thirty years. That's what happens when you take up something new. You panic, you learn, you grow. Cool!

odysseyroc


quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
paigeg wrote:trucking-A! You make it look so effortless. I have to find the equivalents in my historic version of Photoshop and play around. But even with that so easy, straightforward vid, it's gonna be a challenge.
I REALLY need to take a class. I got owned by woot! is a channel? What's Alpha?
Don't worry, I'm not panicking. Just feeling a tad behind the curce for the first time in thirty years. That's what happens when you take up something new. You panic, you learn, you grow. Cool!



The main thing about photoshop is learning to think 3 steps ahead. It seems like there is seldom a one step solution. Once you figure out your workflow, it really is pretty simple.





paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
theWanker wrote:lol. Well, I'd hardly say "conquer". The best I've done in a derby so far was 21st place. I'm not that optimistic I'll do much better this round. But I'm learning a ton of stuff.

Before the last few months it'd been over 15 years since I picked up a pen and drew anything. I'm surprising myself how much fun I've had doing it.



Lol! I meant conquer with the number of subs. And boy, do we have that in common. I was always drawing, even painting as a kid/young adult. Since then I've dabbled in everything from crochet to furniture refinishing (still LOVE bringing out that wood grain). Getting back to drawing is new, and kinda stressful since this arena - graphic arts - isn't what I'm used to. I figure it's my cerebral hedge against Alzheimer's. Keeping my brain challenged, even if what I produce ultimately suxx.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Lagbert wrote:The big file you submit has to be print ready. In other words you need to have a layer for each individual color. So you'll have to submit it has a psd, pdf, svg, or ai file.



Oh, I know that. The big AI's gonna get emailed, with a small placeholder AI on submission. My concern is whether my shirt placement file can be a png, so I can give it a transparent background thus allowing it to look like it's outside the box. The one I posted has a transparent white layer around the 'navy' background (which is awfully black).

theWanker


quality posts: 0 Private Messages theWanker
paigeg wrote:Lol! I meant conquer with the number of subs. And boy, do we have that in common. I was always drawing, even painting as a kid/young adult. Since then I've dabbled in everything from crochet to furniture refinishing (still LOVE bringing out that wood grain). Getting back to drawing is new, and kinda stressful since this arena - graphic arts - isn't what I'm used to. I figure it's my cerebral hedge against Alzheimer's. Keeping my brain challenged, even if what I produce ultimately suxx.



I've been doing web design and page layout forever (Quark, InDesign, PageMaker) and photo manipulation. So pc-based graphic arts isn't as much of a stretch for me.

But yeah, I really feel like I'm stretching out muscles in my brain I forgot I even had with this drawing stuff.

Oddly enough, I don't really find it stressful at all. It's more like drinking a cup of coffee or having a smoke after years of going without. Like a budding addiction.

goobster013


quality posts: 0 Private Messages goobster013
paigeg wrote:Me, too. But am I seeing two different shades of white? Seems odd...



......I think it's just you? o.O idk.

love your signature, by the way.

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
goobster013 wrote:......I think it's just you? o.O idk.

love your signature, by the way.



OK, cool. I thought the cup and the steam registered differently, but it could be me or my monitor.
And thanks! I have a new one I'm trying out in other places: "New Commandment: You kill it, you eat it. (There, that ought to stop all wars or at least start a new food trend.)"

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
theWanker wrote:

Oddly enough, I don't really find it stressful at all. It's more like drinking a cup of coffee or having a smoke after years of going without. Like a budding addiction.



I find drawing relaxing, but making it work in this arena makes me nuts. Mostly because I am SO used to being at least 'in', if not ahead of the curve where software is concerned. I can (or at least thought I could) learn anything.
And I've been tasked with the whole Web design thing, too, though it's not my 'job title' function. Been at it for years as an add-on to my duties. Started with raw HTML. I'm working with Adobe Dreamweaver Cs3 at the moment - gotta upgrade now 'cause I need more licenses for my staff. But they (my State Agency) took all the design out of the equation. Now, I pretty much edit the text. BOOOOring. Uniformity and efficiency bite. And I am SO Ms. Efficient in relation to my primary function as proponent/Momma of paperless processes.
Conflicted much? Moi? The hell you say...
Okayyy, /rant!

theWanker


quality posts: 0 Private Messages theWanker

lol. We do have a lot in common.

Yeah, I'm pretty much the "tech guru" in my circle too. My wife and I own a small software/e-commerce company fer crissakes (cookbookpeople.com).

Here, though, I sometimes feel like I might as well have years of experience mastering Notepad.

SubBass49


quality posts: 3 Private Messages SubBass49

OK folks...looks like I'm subbing 4 designs this week...here's a preview:









EDIT: Had to tweak the image codes a bit to fix the links...sorry bout that if you saw broken image links...

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
theWanker wrote:lol. We do have a lot in common.
Here, though, I sometimes feel like I might as well have years of experience mastering Notepad.



I see your Notepad and raise you an RBase.... Oh, and totally raw HTML coding using Notepad or Wordpad - I forgot!
Copy/paste is your go-to. Undo is your friend.
Welcome to Stepford. We hope you'll like your new job here.
>sigh< The 'good' old days.

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
SubBass49 wrote:OK folks...looks like I'm subbing 4 designs this week...



Man, dude - Wanker's got you beat for sheer volume, but it looks like you are in it to win it. Def wih have my vote for the bacon. Everyone should start their day with bacon. It makes you happy, and makes your doctor smile.

graffd02


quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02

Done with this one and headed to bed... see everyone in the derby!

goobster013


quality posts: 0 Private Messages goobster013
paigeg wrote:OK, cool. I thought the cup and the steam registered differently, but it could be me or my monitor.
And thanks! I have a new one I'm trying out in other places: "New Commandment: You kill it, you eat it. (There, that ought to stop all wars or at least start a new food trend.)"



I think it might be because the mug has more white area, making it look "whiter" than the steam? an optical illusion perhaps?

haha, nice! where are you trying it out, just out of curiosity? (not that I would know.....)

logomachinist


quality posts: 0 Private Messages logomachinist

Hey, sorry to cross-post, but... Could anyone here give me a little feedback on this rough? This could go in two totally different directions, propaganda on creme or anarchy on asphalt, and I have no idea which way to go with it...


I would absolutely love any input... Does white show on creme? Black on asphalt? Are they both trashy and cliché? Thanks so much in advance!

SubBass49


quality posts: 3 Private Messages SubBass49
logomachinist wrote:Hey, sorry to cross-post, but... Could anyone here give me a little feedback on this rough? This could go in two totally different directions, propaganda on creme or anarchy on asphalt, and I have no idea which way to go with it...


I would absolutely love any input... Does white show on creme? Black on asphalt? Are they both trashy and cliché? Thanks so much in advance!



I think the creme fits a more classic propaganda look. Remember that when we think of propaganda, we often think of old, yellowed posters with bold shadow and dynamic design. Lettering is often large and heavy. I like the arrangement of the one on asphalt better as far as the lettering goes, but the creme color may work best for the design. It can even work as a skin-tone and free up a color for use in shadows.

Just my two cents. I really like your concept though...I cracked up when I read it.

EDIT: Here's a site to help you pick out some colors & get inspired: http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-posters/american.htm

SubBass49


quality posts: 3 Private Messages SubBass49
paigeg wrote:Man, dude - Wanker's got you beat for sheer volume, but it looks like you are in it to win it. Def wih have my vote for the bacon. Everyone should start their day with bacon. It makes you happy, and makes your doctor smile.



Thanks Paige! I really appreciate the help & guidance through the design process this week. Same goes to OdyseyRoc, Lagbert, & everyone else that gave feedback and/or advice. Without ya'll I wouldn't be bothering with derbies any more, but you guys help keep my spirits up and give me invaluable advice!

Many thanks, and good karma coming your way!