odysseyroc


quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc

This is my first rough idea, it'll be underground comics style (classic comics derby).





Spiritgreen


quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Hey Woot, could we get some clarification on what No Copyrighted Material means? Is it simply a warning not to use logos and existing artwork, stuff like that, or is it a big, blanket rule that forbids representations of any pop-culture properties?

At first look the derby seems a lot looser than usual because topics like Videogames and Star Wars aren't ruled out. You might assume that designs that accurately depict pop-culture icons like lucky's egyptian rendition of Mario and TGentry's Stormtrooper wearing glasses would be welcome so long as there's parody involved. But is No Copyrighted Material intended to be a blanket rule to prevent anything like that, from any established source?

Pop culture references are so influential on the vote that it completely changes the playing field whether or not they're allowed in an explicit way. I have some non-pop culture shirt ideas I'd have fun designing, but I know they'd get steamrollered if it's basically an anything goes week. :-)

jasneko


quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
llandar wrote:The rules are posted in the Derby description. You follow the STYLE GUIDELINES of the Derby you choose. You follow the extraneous rules (the stuff in bold at the end) of THIS Derby. So the only additional rules to worry about are:

No resubmissions.

No using Derby #55c: Freestyle.

No copyrighted material.

Keep it classy.

Title Your Design with the Derby You've Chosen.


Forgive me if I'm just not seeing something that's already stated clearly, but isn't the text rule usually in bold at the end? And there it says "No Text" or "Text is permitted" or "Incidental Text only " or "Use minimal text" ... but I don't see anything about text one way or another in the bold above, so I'm still wondering...?
Edit: Unless the answer is, since it doesn't say 'no text', then the unspoken is just that it's allowed.

Vote!


goldenthorn


quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

jasneko wrote:Forgive me if I'm just not seeing something that's already stated clearly, but isn't the text rule usually in bold at the end? And there it says "No Text" or "Text is permitted" or "Incidental Text only " or "Use minimal text" ... but I don't see anything about text one way or another in the bold above, so I'm still wondering...?
Edit: Unless the answer is, since it doesn't say 'no text', then the unspoken is just that it's allowed.



I am interpreting: follow the style rules of the derby you are using. IN ADDITION, apply the rules listed by the wootbot (and clarified/simplified by llandar).

jmmbell1987


quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
goldenthorn wrote:I am interpreting: follow the style rules of the derby you are using. IN ADDITION, apply the rules listed by the wootbot (and clarified/simplified by llandar).



That's how I see it as well.

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Text would be permitted in whatever form you like, from what llandar has said. That's an additional rule, and we can ignore any additional rules from the old derby themes.

You only need to use the subject matter of that derby, so whether or not it allowed text or anything else isn't important.

The only thing I'm slightly unsure of is, as I posted above, is whether No Copyrighted Material is supposed to be a stricter, wider implementation of the kinds of rules we often see like No Star Wars, No Videogames. Can people use recognisable movie and videogame characters as they often have in the past, or do we interpret 'no copyright' as stay clear of anything recognisable?

bluchez


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
goldenthorn wrote:I am interpreting: follow the style rules of the derby you are using. IN ADDITION, apply the rules listed by the wootbot (and clarified/simplified by llandar).



That is not what has been previously stated by staff (unless I can't read). The current staff comments certainly imply that you ignore the "extra rules" in bold of the previous derby, which is where "No Text" always sits now-a-days.

Johndis5


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
goldenthorn wrote:I am interpreting: follow the style rules of the derby you are using. IN ADDITION, apply the rules listed by the wootbot (and clarified/simplified by llandar).



This interpretation is contradictory to what llandar said.

I'm no expert, but I'm quite sure that you need only make sure that the design you submit should fit the theme of the derby you select. All rules in the original derby are null and the only rules you need to adhere to are the ones stated under the wootbot post for derby #148.

goldenthorn


quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

bluchez wrote:That is not what has been previously stated by staff (unless I can't read). The current staff comments certainly imply that you ignore the "extra rules" in bold of the previous derby, which is where "No Text" always sits now-a-days.


Johndis5 wrote:This interpretation is contradictory to what llandar said.

I'm no expert, but I'm quite sure that you need only make sure that the design you submit should fit the theme of the derby you select. All rules in the original derby are null and the only rules you need to adhere to are the ones stated under the wootbot post for derby #148.


Then I interpreted incorrectly and it is I who cannot read today--which is not unlikely.



GreatClips


quality posts: 3 Private Messages GreatClips

Here's what I've been working on today, it is falls under derby #88: music. I wanted to depict a quite literal battle between a composer and his creation, in this case some sort of pipe organ beast. Any suggestions as to how to improve would be great, I'm not sure how to end the musical staff lines for one thing. Also an idea I had was to have some of the notes fall off of the staff and become a sort of monster to aid in the fight against the organ, but having some trouble actualizing this.

Vote at Goodjoe

GreatClips


quality posts: 3 Private Messages GreatClips
GreatClips wrote:Here's what I've been working on today, it is falls under derby #88: music. I wanted to depict a quite literal battle between a composer and his creation, in this case some sort of pipe organ beast. Any suggestions as to how to improve would be great, I'm not sure how to end the musical staff lines for one thing. Also an idea I had was to have some of the notes fall off of the staff and become a sort of monster to aid in the fight against the organ, but having some trouble actualizing this.



It got a bit cut off, heres a direct link to the full composition. http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e382/styx0006/music.jpg

Vote at Goodjoe

DianaSprinkle


quality posts: 116 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
llandar wrote:Precisely. The "No Video Games" rule means we don't want any implied reference or parody of video games (usually because we've had a recent glut of designs like that and want to change it up a bit). You can parody a scene from Halo if you want, but you still can't throw Master Chief's mug on a shirt. We'd likely get sued.



Awesome, thanks so much for verifying that. I really was reading that rule too broadly. =D

Good summary Odysseyroc.

chumpmagic


quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic

I was unaware till just recently that we had a full week to do this... It is a week, correct? Entries for this can not be submitted till next friday (the 21st I believe)?

Well, I already rocked mine out today. I am still kind of new to this contest, so are we allowed to submit more than one entry for one derby (or at least this derby)? I really like the one I created today, but I won't mind taking advantage of the full week to create another one.

Heres the one I created today. I choose the graffiti one (26) and made a weird Hermit Crab. Feedback is always welcome!


SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

I am so happy with this derby! I have so much stuff that I started, lost free time, and never subbed. Woohoo! Time to dust them off and get them done.

And a whole week to work on it. Seriously, have I died and gone to shirt.woot design heaven?!?

theWanker


quality posts: 0 Private Messages theWanker
odysseyroc wrote:This is my first rough idea, it'll be underground comics style (classic comics derby).



Have you thought about doing a "hey diddle diddle" version of that? Swap the knife for a spoon....your moon would look pretty wicked in that graphic style.

goldenthorn


quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

chumpmagic wrote:I was unaware till just recently that we had a full week to do this... It is a week, correct? Entries for this can not be submitted till next friday (the 21st I believe)?

Well, I already rocked mine out today. I am still kind of new to this contest, so are we allowed to submit more than one entry for one derby (or at least this derby)? I really like the one I created today, but I won't mind taking advantage of the full week to create another one.



Welcome!

Yep, you have a full week before submissions are open for this derby. Note, though, that it is only like this for derbies coming right after a double-take derby. As far back as I remember/have been here (not that long), most often you only have 24 hours between the announcement of the theme on Thursdays and the start of submissions at Friday noon.

And, yes, you can absolutely submit more than one entry (I don't know but don't think there's a limit? As far as I know, it's a "please don't spam with your submissions" sort of thing?).

chumpmagic


quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
goldenthorn wrote:Welcome!

Yep, you have a full week before submissions are open for this derby. Note, though, that it is only like this for derbies coming right after a double-take derby. As far back as I remember/have been here (not that long), most often you only have 24 hours between the announcement of the theme on Thursdays and the start of submissions at Friday noon.

And, yes, you can absolutely submit more than one entry (I don't know but don't think there's a limit? As far as I know, it's a "please don't spam with your submissions" sort of thing?).



Awesome. That is great to hear. Thanks for taking the time to respond!!!


odysseyroc


quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
theWanker wrote:Have you thought about doing a "hey diddle diddle" version of that? Swap the knife for a spoon....your moon would look pretty wicked in that graphic style.



I hadn't thought of it, but I'll try to work something up. I'd have to change the fork and the knife both, to a dish and a spoon, but it would probably be fun to do in that wacky style.

The idea for this sketch actually came from a Robert Williams inspired piece I was working on recently (just for fun).





Drakxxx


quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx

This contest is going to be absolute pandemonium. I'm sure everyone realizes that.

Whether it's good pandemonium or bad, can only be determined when the time comes.


parrotworks


quality posts: 16 Private Messages parrotworks

It's possible naming will become significant this time around. I lot of designs use the name to tie in the theme but this time around just mentioning the theme needs to accomplish it for the most part. Hmm.

odysseyroc


quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
chumpmagic wrote:I was unaware till just recently that we had a full week to do this... It is a week, correct? Entries for this can not be submitted till next friday (the 21st I believe)?

Well, I already rocked mine out today. I am still kind of new to this contest, so are we allowed to submit more than one entry for one derby (or at least this derby)? I really like the one I created today, but I won't mind taking advantage of the full week to create another one.

Heres the one I created today. I choose the graffiti one (26) and made a weird Hermit Crab. Feedback is always welcome!



Nice job on the def wildstyle. Keep in mind that Hip-Hop generally isn't well received by the audience here.





theWanker


quality posts: 0 Private Messages theWanker

Here's my first entry:



I'm calling it: "Dinosaurs: Once again, nobody came to Jeff's party."

I've got another couple I want to do. One is Triceraclops--a triceratops with one big eye. Maybe that one will go mongoose (I've never really drawn in that style before).

odysseyroc


quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
theWanker wrote:Have you thought about doing a "hey diddle diddle" version of that? Swap the knife for a spoon....your moon would look pretty wicked in that graphic style.



I started sketching out a hey diddle diddle version. I feel like I have to draw the whole nursery rhyme though, and I'm not real interested in doing that. Here's what I got





Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
theWanker wrote:Here's my first entry:



I'm calling it: "Dinosaurs: Once again, nobody came to Jeff's party."

I've got another couple I want to do. One is Triceraclops--a triceratops with one big eye. Maybe that one will go mongoose (I've never really drawn in that style before).



the cupcake is RAWR.

:D

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

odysseyroc


quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc

And here's a little progress on my Mad Love design





theWanker


quality posts: 0 Private Messages theWanker
odysseyroc wrote:I started sketching out a hey diddle diddle version. I feel like I have to draw the whole nursery rhyme though, and I'm not real interested in doing that. Here's what I got



Cool. I like it.

Here's the rhyme:
Hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle,
The cow jumped over the moon,
The little dog laughed to see such sport,
And the dish ran away with the spoon.

Honestly, I think your style would look pretty sweet with the whole rhyme. Just have a flat line with all the characters acting on the line.
On the far left, a cool cat sleeps on a fiddle. Instead of "Zzzzs" there are music notes.
Next, the moon is just standing there hanging out, maybe rocking out to the music from the cat as a cow jumps it.
The dog is standing there next, laughing and pointing at the cow.
On the far right the dish and spoon are running away from everybody else.

In my mind it looks really sweet. It only really works in that funky style you've got, though. If I try it I know it'll suck.

theWanker


quality posts: 0 Private Messages theWanker
Mavyn wrote:the cupcake is RAWR.

:D



:<>

(That's dinosaur emoticon for "RAWR")

llandar


quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
jasneko wrote:Unless the answer is, since it doesn't say 'no text', then the unspoken is just that it's allowed.



BINGO!

odysseyroc


quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
theWanker wrote:Cool. I like it.

Here's the rhyme:
Hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle,
The cow jumped over the moon,
The little dog laughed to see such sport,
And the dish ran away with the spoon.

Honestly, I think your style would look pretty sweet with the whole rhyme. Just have a flat line with all the characters acting on the line.
On the far left, a cool cat sleeps on a fiddle. Instead of "Zzzzs" there are music notes.
Next, the moon is just standing there hanging out, maybe rocking out to the music from the cat as a cow jumps it.
The dog is standing there next, laughing and pointing at the cow.
On the far right the dish and spoon are running away from everybody else.

In my mind it looks really sweet. It only really works in that funky style you've got, though. If I try it I know it'll suck.



Ok, you're convincing me. I'll spend the next few days trying to work on the characters and layout a little bit. I'm thinking of a jazz cat type of cat.






JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

Can I be the first to comment that the other derby that should be voided from this deja vu derby: #43: Slogans.

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
JadenKale wrote:Can I be the first to comment that the other derby that should be voided from this deja vu derby: #43: Slogans.



Oh, c'mon... I came in 4th for that derby

But seriously, yes. That and the text derby. Don't know if we really need another poem-in-a-shape design.

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
theWanker wrote::<>

(That's dinosaur emoticon for "RAWR")



Oh that's awesome. :D

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

Draug


quality posts: 69 Private Messages Draug
SkekTek wrote:Oh, c'mon... I came in 4th for that derby

But seriously, yes. That and the text derby. Don't know if we really need another poem-in-a-shape design.



Dear gods, no. Not another Nevermore.

The enemy's gate is down.
Writers are people too! (Albeit strange ones.)
Save Poe! Reckon Nevermore! Or he'll be head-locked forevermore!

theWanker


quality posts: 0 Private Messages theWanker
Draug wrote:Dear gods, no. Not another Nevermore.



I was thinking about doing raunchy limericks in the shape of a cucumber.

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
theWanker wrote:I was thinking about doing raunchy limericks in the shape of a cucumber.


I'd buy that.

And wear it with pride.

:D

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Since y'all tend to think graphically, this is my interpretation of the guidelines. Ignore the old; insert the new. I picked a derby at random.




Llandar, feel free to correct me.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

parrotworks


quality posts: 16 Private Messages parrotworks
JadenKale wrote:Can I be the first to comment that the other derby that should be voided from this deja vu derby: #43: Slogans.



I was hoping no one pointed it out Agreed.

ChefRAZ


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ
odysseyroc wrote:And here's a little progress on my Mad Love design



shouldn't the thumb be on the outside of the fingers for that sign? great so far.

katfin25


quality posts: 1 Private Messages katfin25
ChefRAZ wrote:shouldn't the thumb be on the outside of the fingers for that sign? great so far.



hmm if hes trying to say "I love you" then the thumb should be out, not over or under the fingers - like the fork appears to be doing. I'm not sure what under the fingers means, but the thumb on top of the fingers means BS in American Sign Language. Yeah thats right, all those longhorn fans are just yelling BS at their team!

Do you like beer? Then check out
brewlimination.com

Do NOT EVER purchase Bella Terra Cosmetics!

brumfola


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brumfola

Too...many...options!

I haven't a clue what I'm going to try. So many options to choose from.